closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 190 of 195 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,500 of 9705

Thread: More bike related stuff

  1. #9451
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Thatís the Ducati mods finished.... (for now)



    Looking good, nice one.
    ďThe more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.Ē

  2. #9452
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    708
    Took my bike in for a service this morning and took the opportunity to try out the new Tiger 900. I had a Tiger 800 before my T120 so was keen to see how the new one rode.

    Initial thoughts after a cold, rainy ride.

    The unmistakable triple sound and feel are still there although it sounds more twin-like at low revs.
    Seems to have a decent amount of torque lower down vs. the older 800.
    Just as easy to ride as the 800.
    It was a lot more vibey through the pegs and grips than I remember on my 800.
    Needs some bar risers although that could just be my shape!
    Still feels top-heavy.
    The new large TFT shows a lot of information and is clear to read. However - too much is shown and it is too big/distracting.
    The seat was rock hard!

    So - in my very humble opinion if I was still looking at a tiger I would find it hard to justify the considerable extra for a 900 over a well-sorted late generation 800.


  3. #9453
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Looking good, nice one.
    Cheers mate... nearly wasn't looking so good yesterday, coming a around a roundabout, and a Mazda 6 decided he needed the bit of road I was on. Swung straight across me, I braked and he clipped my front wheel. Luckily I stayed on. He didnít even stop, he was completely unaware of me even being there.

    But I have to say that the Ducati ABS saved the day. It was wet, I was slightly banked over when he started to encroach into my path, I braked hard whilst still slightly banked and the ABS did itís stuff. Iím sure that without it, Iíd have been off.

  4. #9454
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,197
    Good to hear you and the bike remain unscathed, Enoch.

    I had not such drama but today was the first day of a week's holiday and we're going away for the rest of the week so it seemed rude not to nip out for a quick spin.


  5. #9455
    Craftsman kildareman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Took my bike in for a service this morning and took the opportunity to try out the new Tiger 900. I had a Tiger 800 before my T120 so was keen to see how the new one rode.

    Initial thoughts after a cold, rainy ride.

    The unmistakable triple sound and feel are still there although it sounds more twin-like at low revs.
    Seems to have a decent amount of torque lower down vs. the older 800.
    Just as easy to ride as the 800.
    It was a lot more vibey through the pegs and grips than I remember on my 800.
    Needs some bar risers although that could just be my shape!
    Still feels top-heavy.
    The new large TFT shows a lot of information and is clear to read. However - too much is shown and it is too big/distracting.
    The seat was rock hard!

    So - in my very humble opinion if I was still looking at a tiger I would find it hard to justify the considerable extra for a 900 over a well-sorted late generation 800.

    I've a well sorted 10 year old first gen 800 and I wouldn't dream of replacing with the 900, others yes but not the 900.

  6. #9456
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    I've a well sorted 10 year old first gen 800 and I wouldn't dream of replacing with the 900, others yes but not the 900.
    Agreed. I am keen to have a go on a KTM 790 Adventure to see how that compares. Even the 390 Adventure looks like it could be a fun bike!

  7. #9457
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Took my bike in for a service this morning and took the opportunity to try out the new Tiger 900. I had a Tiger 800 before my T120 so was keen to see how the new one rode.

    Initial thoughts after a cold, rainy ride.

    The unmistakable triple sound and feel are still there although it sounds more twin-like at low revs.
    Seems to have a decent amount of torque lower down vs. the older 800.
    Just as easy to ride as the 800.
    It was a lot more vibey through the pegs and grips than I remember on my 800.
    Needs some bar risers although that could just be my shape!
    Still feels top-heavy.
    The new large TFT shows a lot of information and is clear to read. However - too much is shown and it is too big/distracting.
    The seat was rock hard!

    So - in my very humble opinion if I was still looking at a tiger I would find it hard to justify the considerable extra for a 900 over a well-sorted late generation 800.
    Funny, isn't it - when I test rode both the 900 GT and Rally I felt quite differently in most respects:

    Rideability - I thought they were much easier to ride than the 800, although the edges of the Rally's frame guards dug into the inside of my knees;
    Torque - better;
    Firing order - worse, I didn't particularly like the attempt to create more grunt at lower revs and emulate a twin; it wasn't necessary and created vibration;
    Gearing - felt like it needed another gear (7th);
    Seat - better and lower, could easily plant both feet which I couldn't do on the 800;
    Centre of gravity - better, I thought the 800 had a much higher centre of gravity;
    TFT - garish and a bit OTT.

    I'm sure there was more but these were my stand-out impressions.

  8. #9458
    Master chris2982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    3,725
    Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.



    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

  9. #9459
    Master Plake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny Sussex
    Posts
    3,580

    More bike related stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.



    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Thatís what Iíd do too. In fact what many of us will have done when that was what you largely had to do. Thereís a lot to be said for building road craft on a 125.

  10. #9460
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.
    Understand that, but if it's only for a few months, it might be worth getting an old YBR or similar for a few hundred quid rather than a newer bike as they tend to hold their value better.

    My lad got a 2009 YBR 4 years ago for about £800 and it's still worth about the same. There are far more buyers at the sub-£1000 point too so moving it on will be easier.

    Hmmm. Just looked on Autotrader and there are none for sale at that price - all more expensive. I suspect demand from curry delivery drivers has pushed up demand.

    That MT-125 does look nice and only 300 miles too!
    Last edited by Gyp; 13th April 2021 at 07:08.

  11. #9461
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Understand that, but if it's only for a few months, it might be worth getting an old YBR or similar for a few hundred quid rather than a newer bike as they tend to hold their value better.

    My lad got a 2009 YBR 4 years ago for about £800 and it's still worth about the same. There are far more buyers at the sub-£1000 point too so moving it on will be easier.

    Hmmm. Just looked on Autotrader and there are none for sale at that price - all more expensive. I suspect demand from curry delivery drivers has pushed up demand.

    That MT-125 does look nice and only 300 miles too!
    100% agree on sub £1000 YBR’s or equivalent, but recon folk wary of public transport have snapped them all up. Having said that the bike in the photo looks ace. In profile, if you didnt know it was a 125 it would be hard to say what engine size it was.

    Good hunting, if you buy at the right price and still sell in summer you shouldn't loose much money , think of it as renting the bike to further enhance and reinforce your training.

    Steve

    Ps If you nudge up to £1500 then theirs a fair few low milers out there.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycl...g=200&_fosrp=1
    Last edited by higham5; 13th April 2021 at 07:59.

  12. #9462
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,002
    From memory I paid about £1800 for my YBR from a dealer, and sold it back to said dealer 4 months later for £1600 - basically £50 per month rental costs and there's no doubt that riding it got my through DAS at the first attempt.

  13. #9463
    its good to get as much experience as you can before your main test - esp getting some experience of being in a group with someone behind you ( i had a friend fail his part 2 because he was that stressed having the test guy behind him and knowing he was being watched his foot was shaking and tapping the rear brake most of the test - the test guy told him it was like following a mobile disco :) )

  14. #9464
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,152
    My MT 09 is still in the dealership with a broken oil cooler.

    Yamaha told me yesterday that they have ordered the part under warranty but it won't take the 5 days they originally suggested, It now has to come from Japan instead and could be up to 10 weeks.

    I've asked for a loan bike and they have said they don't have one.

    They told me to speak to Yamaha UK so I did and they couldn't be less bothered and pointed me back to the dealership.

    The guy at the dealer is incredibly rude and just suggested I should drive my car for 10 weeks!

    Poor form on an 18-month-old bike which has been serviced but them twice.

    I kicked off big time online and left reviews. The General manager is supposed to call me tomorrow.

    Don't think I will be buying a Yamaha again!

  15. #9465
    Master Plake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny Sussex
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    My MT 09 is still in the dealership with a broken oil cooler.

    Yamaha told me yesterday that they have ordered the part under warranty but it won't take the 5 days they originally suggested, It now has to come from Japan instead and could be up to 10 weeks.

    I've asked for a loan bike and they have said they don't have one.

    They told me to speak to Yamaha UK so I did and they couldn't be less bothered and pointed me back to the dealership.

    The guy at the dealer is incredibly rude and just suggested I should drive my car for 10 weeks!

    Poor form on an 18-month-old bike which has been serviced but them twice.

    I kicked off big time online and left reviews. The General manager is supposed to call me tomorrow.

    Don't think I will be buying a Yamaha again!
    Frustrating experience. Iíd imagine both your dealer and Yamaha have lost a customer going forward.

  16. #9466
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    I suppose it all depends on what the damage is and if itís still under warranty. They may not be responsible if itís not a manufacturing defect.

    Have you looked at aftermarket items or whether something else will fit?

    Or have you tried Fowlers?

  17. #9467
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,152
    It's a warranty issue, not damage.

    Fowlers are showing the part in stock but the Aftersales manager said he has to follow the process and can't just get the part in from anywhere as it's illegal and he could go to jail.

    Safe to say I lost the plot when he came out with that nonsense.

    I left some pretty scathing reviews online detailing what was said and have had an email through this morning to say the General manager will call me when he returns from annual leave tomorrow so will see what the script is then.

    They have asked me to remove the reviews too.

  18. #9468
    Master chris2982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    3,725
    Absolutely gutted..
    Bike looked fantastic,,. But it was already sold, and not recently either so that was a bit annoying. Supposedly sold within 45 minutes of the advert was put up, so why have a been looking at the ad for a week waiting for the shop to open. They could have a least took the ad down, or amend it to say it was sold. Luckily it was only half an hour away though

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

  19. #9469
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,002
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Absolutely gutted..
    Bike looked fantastic,,. But it was already sold, and not recently either so that was a bit annoying. Supposedly sold within 45 minutes of the advert was put up, so why have a been looking at the ad for a week waiting for the shop to open. They could have a least took the ad down, or amend it to say it was sold. Luckily it was only half an hour away though

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Par for the course - always best to call first.

  20. #9470
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598

    More bike related stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    It's a warranty issue, not damage.

    Fowlers are showing the part in stock but the Aftersales manager said he has to follow the process and can't just get the part in from anywhere as it's illegal and he could go to jail.
    Well thatís just bulls**t; as long as heís using genuine Yamaha parts, it doesnít matter where he gets them from. Itís certainly not illegal. Fake parts is another matter entirely but as long as itís not safety related then heíll not have an issue anyway.

    Every cloud and all that, itís a good reason to buy a second bike!

    Edit : actually itís clever wording; he canít just buy from anywhere but Fowlerís are an authorised Yamaha dealer so heíd be buying from within the Yamaha network.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 13th April 2021 at 11:14.

  21. #9471
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well thatís just bulls**t; as long as heís using genuine Yamaha parts, it doesnít matter where he gets them from. Itís certainly not illegal. Fake parts is another matter entirely but as long as itís not safety related then heíll not have an issue anyway.

    Every cloud and all that, itís a good reason to buy a second bike!

    Edit : actually itís clever wording; he canít just buy from anywhere but Fowlerís are an authorised Yamaha dealer so heíd be buying from within the Yamaha network.

    You don't think it is possible that the Manager thought the OP as asking about fitting a 'pattern' part?

  22. #9472
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You don't think it is possible that the Manager thought the OP as asking about fitting a 'pattern' part?
    No, I did mention they were a proper dealer etc. I would guess he would know them anyway as they are pretty well known.

    He was talking like Yamaha UK were the police or something, all very bizarre.

  23. #9473
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You don't think it is possible that the Manager thought the OP as asking about fitting a 'pattern' part?
    Itís possible but he should know that Fowlerís are an authorised parts supplier; theyíre probably the largest in the UK!

  24. #9474
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    No, I did mention they were a proper dealer etc. I would guess he would know them anyway as they are pretty well known.

    He was talking like Yamaha UK were the police or something, all very bizarre.
    What he probably means is that it would be more difficult for them to get paid for the warranty work or that they may have to split the profit on the part with Fowlerís.

  25. #9475
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Absolutely gutted..
    Bike looked fantastic,,. But it was already sold, and not recently either so that was a bit annoying. Supposedly sold within 45 minutes of the advert was put up, so why have a been looking at the ad for a week waiting for the shop to open. They could have a least took the ad down, or amend it to say it was sold. Luckily it was only half an hour away though

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Ah well, plenty other nice 125s out there to drool over.
    Iíd thoroughly recommend doing your Mod 1 on your 125 so you can experience test conditions and get an idea for distances for manoeuvres etc. For the sake of £15 and 20mins I found it invaluable when I then went to do it again on the A license as part of my DAS.
    In fact, I also did Mod 2 on my 125.... so by the time I got around to doing it all again on the bigger bike I was fairly confident having already passed them previously.
    Cheap enough to book & do yourself on your own bike.

    Andy.

  26. #9476
    Master chris2982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Iíd thoroughly recommend doing your Mod 1 on your 125 so you can experience test conditions and get an idea for distances for manoeuvres etc. For the sake of £15 and 20mins I found it invaluable when I then went to do it again on the A license as part of my DAS.
    In fact, I also did Mod 2 on my 125.... so by the time I got around to doing it all again on the bigger bike I was fairly confident having already passed them previously.
    Didn't even think that was possible, handy to know. thanks for that.

    Chris.

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

  27. #9477
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Agreed. I am keen to have a go on a KTM 790 Adventure to see how that compares. Even the 390 Adventure looks like it could be a fun bike!

    The 390Adv is enormous fun. I had one for 4 hours when my bike was being serviced and I had a merry time on the lanes around the Chilterns. It does not have the puff for doing overtakes on NSL roads (mainly because I tend to ride more conservatively), but will move along with the flow of traffic without too much drama.

  28. #9478
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Good to hear you and the bike remain unscathed, Enoch.

    I had not such drama but today was the first day of a week's holiday and we're going away for the rest of the week so it seemed rude not to nip out for a quick spin.

    what is that bike?

  29. #9479
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,750
    Looks like a fantastic Fantic!

  30. #9480
    Master Plake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny Sussex
    Posts
    3,580
    Yep, Fantic Caballero. Handsome bikes.

  31. #9481
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,197
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Well I'm getting impatient, after doing my CBT last week and knowing it's going to be at least 2 to 3 month before I get my licence and can get my GS on the road. I am off to look at a 125 tomorrow so I can get on the road straight away.
    That's what I did last year for the same reason. Tests here (and tuition) we're disrupted and backed up so I bought an 2012 YRB125 for £1000. It worked out really well for me. It's still in the garage with both wife and daughter thinking of doing their CBT.

  32. #9482
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Yep, Fantic Caballero. Handsome bikes.
    Fabric Caballero Scrambler 500 Deluxe to give it its full title (even if it's only a 450)

  33. #9483
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Didn't even think that was possible, handy to know. thanks for that.

    Chris.

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Amazing how few people do this, and instead continue on a 125 for years repeatedly forking out for a CBT bi-annually. Gets you the full A1 license meaning you get rid of the L plates, allows you to carry pillion and get on motorways if need be.

  34. #9484
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Fabric Caballero Scrambler 500 Deluxe to give it its full title (even if it's only a 450)
    Thanks, its a great looking bike, what do you think of it?

  35. #9485
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,390
    Out and about on the Scrambler this afternoon. It's great that the temperature is starting to warm up.


  36. #9486
    Craftsman djjuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South West UK
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    The 390Adv is enormous fun. I had one for 4 hours when my bike was being serviced and I had a merry time on the lanes around the Chilterns. It does not have the puff for doing overtakes on NSL roads (mainly because I tend to ride more conservatively), but will move along with the flow of traffic without too much drama.
    Sounds ideal. I only pootle around the Somerset A and B roads so this could be a good option for a second bike.

  37. #9487
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Ah well, plenty other nice 125s out there to drool over.
    Iíd thoroughly recommend doing your Mod 1 on your 125 so you can experience test conditions and get an idea for distances for manoeuvres etc. For the sake of £15 and 20mins I found it invaluable when I then went to do it again on the A license as part of my DAS.
    In fact, I also did Mod 2 on my 125.... so by the time I got around to doing it all again on the bigger bike I was fairly confident having already passed them previously.
    Cheap enough to book & do yourself on your own bike.
    Wish we'd thought of this before - I've suggested it to the lad.

    This might be a daft question, but do you have to do another theory tests when progressing from A1 to A, or from A2 to A?

    The gov.uk site (https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test) specifically says that you don't need another theory to go from A1 to A2 but omits any mention of the other 2 options

  38. #9488
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    bucks
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    It's a warranty issue, not damage.

    Fowlers are showing the part in stock but the Aftersales manager said he has to follow the process and can't just get the part in from anywhere as it's illegal and he could go to jail.

    Safe to say I lost the plot when he came out with that nonsense.

    I left some pretty scathing reviews online detailing what was said and have had an email through this morning to say the General manager will call me when he returns from annual leave tomorrow so will see what the script is then.

    They have asked me to remove the reviews too.
    The problem you have hear is the yamaha warranty process
    Yamaha supply the waranty parts direct to the dealer
    Then they pay the dealer the warranty labour rate to fit it
    If yamaha europe have no stock but fowlers do
    I would suggest you contact yamaha customer services and explain the problem and point out that fowlers have stock
    Then its up to yamaha uk to do the right thing


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  39. #9489
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    The problem you have here is the yamaha warranty process
    Yamaha supply the waranty parts direct to the dealer
    Then they pay the dealer the warranty labour rate to fit it
    If yamaha europe have no stock but fowlers do
    I would suggest you contact yamaha customer services and explain the problem and point out that fowlers have stock
    Then its up to yamaha uk to do the right thing

    Thatís very likely true but failing to comply with the Yamaha process is hardly likely to end with the parts manager in gaol!

  40. #9490
    Master chris2982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    3,725
    Pick my stop gap bike up tomorrow.
    Was just having a general search on my phone,, seen an ad that went up for a 2008 CBF125 14 minutes earlier, sent the seller a message and it turns out he was just on the next village.
    Drove straight over, paid deposit, collecting tomorrow.

    It's gonna be perfect for getting some time in on the road getting ready for my test in the next 2/3 month.


    :)



    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

  41. #9491
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Pick my stop gap bike up tomorrow.
    Was just having a general search on my phone,, seen an ad that went up for a 2008 CBF125 14 minutes earlier, sent the seller a message and it turns out he was just on the next village.
    Drove straight over, paid deposit, collecting tomorrow.

    It's gonna be perfect for getting some time in on the road getting ready for my test in the next 2/3 month.


    :)



    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    Great news; get out, get practice and enjoy.

    Summerís nearly here!

  42. #9492
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    2,439
    Great buy that , you will lose no money , AND gain a huge amount of confidence and road sense.

  43. #9493
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    749
    Anyone know much about riding abroad during these covid times ? Our 2020 Barcelona MotoGP trip was postponed until this year, we are supposed to be setting off 6 weeks this coming Sunday.
    Presuming Boris allows foreign travel what are the requirements ? I presume borders in EU countries will now be manned and travellers will be stopped at border crossings ? I've heard that it is a requirement to produce a negative covid test no older than 72 hours to be allowed across borders, if this is the case we would need to obtain a test in France and then another one in Spain, are these easy to organise ?
    We've been riding to MotoGP races in Europe for the past 20 years, last year was a real downer not being able to travel so if allowed we're all eager to go somewhere this year

  44. #9494
    I managed to pass my Mod1 and 2 today after training the previous 3 days.

    I found it a great way to get it done with it all fresh in the mind. The training for the Mod 1 helped for the Mod 2 and vice versa.

    Now the bike buying fun starts!

  45. #9495
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,709
    Blog Entries
    1
    caffeine and machine was ramned when I went past this afternoon,but I had allready stopped for a fantastic coffee elsewhere so didnt stop.

    Stratford was also busy,I stopped to look in the watch shops.

    I must have seen at least 20 watches that I wouldnt mind owning,I also asked if I was still on the list and he took my name again (ive got 2 hopes I reckon,Bop Hope and no Hope).

    Ive now done about 400 miles on my new/old VFR1200 still getting used to it,its to fast if I want to keep my licence,its also just effortless,the DCT is without doubt brilliant.

    I have also been slowly adapting it to suit my needs.

  46. #9496
    Master chris2982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Posts
    3,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    I managed to pass my Mod1 and 2 today after training the previous 3 days.

    I found it a great way to get it done with it all fresh in the mind. The training for the Mod 1 helped for the Mod 2 and vice versa.

    Now the bike buying fun starts!
    Excellent news, congratulations!

    Chris.

    Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

  47. #9497
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    32,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    I managed to pass my Mod1 and 2 today after training the previous 3 days.

    I found it a great way to get it done with it all fresh in the mind. The training for the Mod 1 helped for the Mod 2 and vice versa.

    Now the bike buying fun starts!
    Well done! The biking community on TZ just keeps on growing.

  48. #9498
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Wish we'd thought of this before - I've suggested it to the lad.

    This might be a daft question, but do you have to do another theory tests when progressing from A1 to A, or from A2 to A?

    The gov.uk site (https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test) specifically says that you don't need another theory to go from A1 to A2 but omits any mention of the other 2 options
    Might be worth double checking with the local riding school.. it didnít affect me as I did my A about a year after doing my A1 so my original Theory was still valid. From memory, I think itís something like you can go 1 step up at a time without needing to resit the theory.. so A1 to A2 or A2 to A.
    As I was going A1 to A the school did mention that Iíd have to get theory done again if it expired before I passed both Mod1/2 on the DAS.

    Andy.

  49. #9499
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,197
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Thanks, its a great looking bike, what do you think of it?
    I'm really enjoying it but should point out that, apart from the CB650 I did my Mod1/2 on, it's the first bike I've ridden in 30+ years.

    It's great for what I want to do at the moment which is basically blatting round the lanes of Cheshire and the Peak District but I can see a time (possibly fairly soon) when I buy something else to go further/faster.

  50. #9500
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,598
    Unless you want to go much further, itís probably the most fun you can have.
    Bigger and faster is often actually less fun on normal roads.
    My XJR1300, whilst very old school, is far too big to be fun on smaller roads, something like yours or a KTM 390 Duke would be much better for country lanes and will be ridden closer to its limits which always adds to the fun factor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information