timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 271 of 357 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,550 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    What about rebuilding the TTR250 on SC and using it as a winter hack!
    Get some knobblies on it and really see what Wales is about!
    Haha, Dave, the idea of a TTR, or indeed any small trail bike does appeal but not for a winter hack. I have often looked on google maps etc at them small lakes and tarns that are hidden way up in the hills behind the roads I ride in Wales. I’d love nothing better than to get up there and fish them. Dunno if theres fish in them, but it would be so peaceful up there anyway. As for riding in winter, theres not a chance in hell of me doing that. If its wet, or below about 10 degrees I aint out on any bike.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by cinnabull; 2nd September 2022 at 20:29.

Had an early ish ride out with Mrs C this morning, it’s been a while since I was at the super sausage but there were a good few there enjoying a breakfast.

It seemed rude not to try the full monty breakfast…

I feel that I made a good effort but it beat me in the end, there are two fried bread under the eggs as well!

There was also a set of leathers hanging there waiting to be taken away free of charge.

One thing I can’t work out is how to get the back wheel off the ground with the bike upright and stable, it has no centre stand and a paddock stand doesn’t seem to fit with these pipes?

Master
    One thing I can’t work out is how to get the back wheel off the ground with the bike upright and stable, it has no centre stand and a paddock stand doesn’t seem to fit with these pipes?[/QUOTE]

Abba Stand , expensive but very versatile?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Had an early ish ride out with Mrs C this morning, it’s been a while since I was at the super sausage but there were a good few there enjoying a breakfast.

I feel that I made a good effort but it beat me in the end, there are two fried bread under the eggs as well!

There was also a set of leathers hanging there waiting to be taken away free of charge.

One thing I can’t work out is how to get the back wheel off the ground with the bike upright and stable, it has no centre stand and a paddock stand doesn’t seem to fit with these pipes?
    Well done on that brekkie

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well done on that brekkie
    I’m still stuffed!!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Abba Stand , expensive but very versatile?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look. Another option I thought about was to get some different slip ons so I could fit some bobbins

Master

A NOD, A WAVE or A LEG WAFT?

Since I started riding again after my accident I’ve completed almost 10k miles… these are my observations regarding acknowledging other riders and acknowledgments from other riders…

See if it’s the same for you.

When out and about in rural Wales I usually acknowledge an on coming rider with a nod… and most times that’s what I get back.

But this year I’ve noticed that virtually no Harley riders respond in anyway, to the point that I’ve given up and don’t bother with any acknowledgment of my own. I basically just look straight ahead and blank them, and it appears they do the same.

GS riders are around 50/50.. the ones that do respond usually respond with a wave. Whereas I’m usually first to acknowledge an oncoming rider, if it’s a GS I now wait and see if they acknowledge me before I respond to them.

Sports bikes and super nakeds, more often than not it’s a leg wave.. I would estimate around 90% of these riders make some effort to respond to a nod. The ones that don’t it’s usually because they’re hanging on for dear life.

Master
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look. Another option I thought about was to get some different slip ons so I could fit some bobbins[/QUOTE]

I was talking to a Harley owner ( 883) the other day, he was changing his oil. He was using one of the “ machine mart” type lift jacks. I guess it depends how flat the base of your engine is eg no pipes or wires running underneath.

All my bikes have had either underslung exhausts or lower fairings which were a faff to remove. My last XL250 was easy to lift on a trolley jack when a pal of mine serviced the forks.

Just looked on the Triumph website, you might be ok as your frame rails go underneath the bike.
    Last edited by higham5; 3rd September 2022 at 17:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Since I started riding again after my accident I’ve completed almost 10k miles… these are my observations regarding acknowledging other riders and acknowledgments from other riders…

When out and about in rural Wales I usually acknowledge an on coming rider with a nod… and most times that’s what I get back.

But this year I’ve noticed that virtually no Harley riders respond in anyway, to the point that I’ve given up and don’t bother with any acknowledgment of my own. I basically just look straight ahead and blank them, and it appears they do the same.

GS riders are around 50/50.. the ones that do respond usually respond with a wave. Whereas I’m usually first to acknowledge an oncoming rider, if it’s a GS I now wait and see if they acknowledge me before I respond to them.

Sports bikes and super nakeds, more often than not it’s a leg wave.. I would estimate around 90% of these riders make some effort to respond to a nod. The ones that don’t it’s usually because they’re hanging on for dear life.
    Enoch with “Old Stores beer gut” fill up store 3 miles from me I 100% agree, the cruiser black helmet cut off brigade never acknowledge you.

Just think you could have ridden up to Llan today and carried out a scientific experiment with them as there will be many hundreds converging on the festival grounds.

Master
    Enoch with “Old Stores beer gut” fill up store 3 miles from me I 100% agree, the cruiser black helmet cut off brigade never acknowledge you.

Just think you could have ridden up to Llan today and carried out a scientific experiment with them as there will be many hundreds converging on the festival grounds.
    I did ride over the Horshoe pass onto the chain n sprocket…. And that’s what inspired the post🤪🤪

A9778830

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    A9778830
    I did think about that but not sure, probably the easiest solution though.

I did think about that but not sure, probably the easiest solution though.
    If it's for chain maintenance and wheel cleaning, just get a wheel spinner. They work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    If it's for chain maintenance and wheel cleaning, just get a wheel spinner. They work pretty well.
    That’s probably the main use but ideally looking for something that can hold it upright and stable. I’m sure I will be doing a few bits and pieces on this bike. I do also like to have them upright if not riding for a while.

Abba Stand , expensive but very versatile?[/QUOTE]

Not that expensive in the scheme of things. Work well.

I don’t even bother nodding to Harley riders. I used to, but got f8ck all back. Sorry to generalise, but that’s my experience.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    [/QUOTE]

Doesn’t look like they fit the Bonneville unless I’m missing something?

Question for anyone using bluetooth units in their helmets: can the main unit also work from a pocket or down the back of the jacket (assuming the cable is long enough)? I don't want to fix one permanently to the outside of my lid.

Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Question for anyone using bluetooth units in their helmets: can the main unit also work from a pocket or down the back of the jacket (assuming the cable is long enough)? I don't want to fix one permanently to the outside of my lid.

Thanks
    No.

And why not?

Master

Thanks
    I’ve just started using a Cardo spirit HD… pretty basic Bluetooth device for sat nav rather than coms.. all the wiring is designed to fit inside the helmet, I can’t see anyway it could be used in another way.

Why not? I don't want a carbuncle stuck on the side when I'd only use the unit a few times a year.

The videos I've seen talk about tucking away the excess cable inside the helmet lining, so I would have thought that it could just as easily dangle down the inside of a jacket if all the wires remain connected.

It's only to hear the satnav, so accessing the unit controls isn't a requirement.

For simply listening to music - yes, it will work using either an extension to in-helmet speakers or better using earbuds connected to the unit on their long cable. To use duplex speech, you’d also have to cable in the mike.

It is possible to cable in together - extensions of (say) 1m into the mike or mike & speakers - not too difficult.

biggest downside is that you can’t reach the buttons on the unit.

The connectors on the CARDO speakers are standard, but the mike (from memory) is bespoke, or at least not a type easily sought.

Doesn’t look like they fit the Bonneville unless I’m missing something?[/QUOTE]

No, the Abba stand relies on having access to some form of attachment at the swingarm pivot point. It's not accessible on the Bonnevilles

You saying they are worth the Money Money Money?

Master

Thanks
    I can see the lines you are thinking along, and whilst it may work I see three down sides

1 Most importantly the wires for these units are very thin, the first time you “ forget “ the unit is in your pocket and take your lid off and walk away wearing the jacket the wires may fail.

2 The units are covered in buttons / jog wheels. If the unit gets jostled in a pocket it may “activate pairing” “ turn off intercom” “ turn on radio”

3 lastly I often find myself modulating the volume on on the sat nav instructions, I dont know why but my Sena volume goes up and down during a ride. If the unit is in your pocket you cant access the volume without stopping.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You saying they are worth the Money Money Money?
    I do, I do , I do , I do :)

Doesn’t look like they fit the Bonneville unless I’m missing something?
    Have you spoken to Triumph? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bobbins solution, even if it meant removing the end cans to fit them.

Edit: I've just worked through the configurator options on the Triumph website and there are none listed.

Ralph has a T120, doesn't he - perhaps drop him a line?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th September 2022 at 08:14.

I have the Sena 10S bluetooth kit for my pillions. It can be attached to the helmet with a screw clip or double sided tape. No need for permanent attachment. I have a fully integrated set in my Schuberth and it is great, highly recommended.

Thanks for the replies. If it can be removed when not in use then that’s the solution.

Blog Entries

I always wave or nod to other riders, on anything from a moped up. Strangely enough when I had the Harley very few other riders returned the greeting and almost no sports bike riders. (Although I take your point they might be hanging on for dear life!) Now when I’m on the Enfield Interceptor most do. It’s a shame because we’re all bikers at the end of the day.
    I wonder if learningtofly has noticed any difference as he’s had different styles of bikes?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 4th September 2022 at 10:09.

An interesting video posted from Fortnine about autopilot cars (Tesla) and motorcycles.

I always nod, to everyone. Even on the Harley and its 50/50 these days. Like you say, sports bike riders always nod but only if I do first on the Harley. In Europe its a leg wave and 99% of riders leg wave back.
    I figure a lot of Harley riders either think they're too cool to acknowledge you or they're mid life crisis types or born again biker who don't even realise nodding is a thing as they never grew up on bikes like me or many here.
    Just my thoughts.

On my T120 I have the centre stand installed, which is probably the easiest option. I have also changed to Remus cans from the peashooters, which would also give you the access needed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I always wave or nod to other riders, on anything from a moped up. Strangely enough when I had the Harley very few other riders returned the greeting and almost no sports bike riders. (Although I take your point they might be hanging on for dear life!) Now when I’m on the Enfield Interceptor most do. It’s a shame because we’re all bikers at the end of the day.
    I wonder if learningtofly has noticed any difference as he’s had different styles of bikes?
    Good question. Generally speaking, with my other bikes I found riders of sports bikes and/or modern classics tended to nod/nod back, whereas Harley riders didn't acknowledge me at all. That was consistent across all the bikes I've had previously.

Now with the Harley, the nodding from other riders is less consistent across the board. I've also passed about half a dozen Harley riders in the 400 miles I've ridden so far, and I don't recall any of them nodding (so I've pretty much stopped now as well). I'm fast concluding that Harley riders are a bunch of miserable gits, in fact, who take themselves far too seriously.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th September 2022 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    On my T120 I have the centre stand installed, which is probably the easiest option. I have also changed to Remus cans from the peashooters, which would also give you the access needed.
    I have to be honest, fitting a centre stand seems to be the most straightforward option but feels counterintuitive as I feel I should be taking bits off this bike rather than putting them on.

I will be looking to change the peashooters at some point so will have to think about which way I go. Certainly seems as if one or both of these options are on the cards at some point. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places but options to replace the peashooters in black seem slim pickings, think I’ve found what look like three decent options so far.

Thanks for the replies. If it can be removed when not in use then that’s the solution.
    Friend of mine stuck his Cardo G4 unit on to side of his helmet using 3m Velcro (not the cheap shit).

Never fell off in 10yrs of touring and commuting. (Surprised me!)

I have to be honest, fitting a centre stand seems to be the most straightforward option but feels counterintuitive as I feel I should be taking bits off this bike rather than putting them on.

I will be looking to change the peashooters at some point so will have to think about which way I go. Certainly seems as if one or both of these options are on the cards at some point. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places but options to replace the peashooters in black seem slim pickings, think I’ve found what look like three decent options so far.
    Personally, I think the peashooters are part of this bike's DNA. I'd not be changing them.

I was never a fan of the peashooters. I went for the Remus. Lovely sound with the baffles out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkvJ...uffDeutschland

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good question.. I'm fast concluding that Harley riders are a bunch of miserable gits, in fact, who take themselves far too seriously.
    T nows the time to redress the balance. Think of the positive vibes you will give other bikers when you nod first.

I was never a fan of the peashooters. I went for the Remus. Lovely sound with the baffles out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkvJ...uffDeutschland
    Not a bad shout, despite my previous comment.

T nows the time to redress the balance. Think of the positive vibes you will give other bikers when you nod first.
    Okay, I'll report back

Yep, sounds lovely and that’s what I’m looking for as well as a good look. The Vance and Hines are an option but I like the look of the others with the modifications to the bike.

Did you do the decat as well?

Yep, sounds lovely and that’s what I’m looking for as well as a good look. The Vance and Hines are an option but I like the look of the others with the modifications to the bike.

Did you do the decat as well?
    No. I thought about the decat but tbh haven't felt the need yet.

No. I thought about the decat but tbh haven't felt the need yet.
    Good to know.

Anyone able to give a complete novice advice on how best to trickle charge my new Honda Monkey, any recommendations for a good low cost set up for this
    Many thanks Chris

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

Managed to pick up a cheap Sena 20S Evo, which uses a clamp rather than glued velcro patch, so nothing needs to be left on the lid permanently. Super easy to install, so should make navigating in foreign fields a lot easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Anyone able to give a complete novice advice on how best to trickle charge my new Honda Monkey, any recommendations for a good low cost set up for this
    Many thanks Chris

I just used a small flying lead permanently connected to the battery. Use an optimate type lead for what ever charger you have. Leave the lead tucked under the seat . When needed just pull lead out and connect up.

See below for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OptiMate-SA...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Steve

Master

Would it be feasible to make a wooden U shaped frame to fit around the back wheel, from the rear and sat under the swinging arm - a paddock stand could then be used on this - essentially lowering the swinging arm ?
    Just a though
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

More bike related stuff

The Pyrenees are lovely just now……..

Master
    Low water levels at Llyn Celyn. The red line shows where the water level normally sits.. I’ve been to a few other reservoirs around N Wales and they’re all the same..

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Would it be feasible to make a wooden U shaped frame to fit around the back wheel, from the rear and sat under the swinging arm - a paddock stand could then be used on this - essentially lowering the swinging arm ?
    Just a though
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Don’t forget that it is easy to lift a weight when the crank is moving from (say) 10-12. When you add blocks - you can be trying to lift it with the crank describing 8-10 (o’clock).

I just used a small flying lead permanently connected to the battery. Use an optimate type lead for what ever charger you have. Leave the lead tucked under the seat . When needed just pull lead out and connect up.

See below for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OptiMate-SA...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Steve
    Thanks so much Steve, really helpful
    Chry