After a test ride today I might have to make some space in the garage:

I really like the look of those.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Wink

That Arrow does look and sound lovely

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    That Arrow does look and sound lovely
    Yes, I think its pretty much decision made. I cant imagine Ill be selling the Tiger any time soon, so I cant really see an argument against it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, I think its pretty much decision made. I cant imagine Ill be selling the Tiger any time soon, so I cant really see an argument against it.
    Im getting a strange sense of deja vu!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m getting a strange sense of deja vu!
    I think I’ve gone through a process that’s led me to the right kind of bike, Dave, and there isn’t a better one of its type out there for me. I can’t see it going anywhere for a few years now, and even then it might be a question od an addition rather than a replacement.

I do miss the raw power of one or two of its predecessors, and I know it’s not as beautiful. It’s what I need, though.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I really like the look of those.
    I'd love a streetfighter next, have you tested the likely rivals - tuono, s1kr, superduke, etc?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I think I’ve gone through a process that’s led me to the right kind of bike, Dave, and there isn’t a better one of its type out there for me. I can’t see it going anywhere for a few years now, and even then it might be a question od an addition rather than a replacement.

I do miss the raw power of one or two of its predecessors, and I know it’s not as beautiful. It’s what I need, though.
    Its safer to stick with one Tony; get any more and its a slippery slope much worse than watches!

It’s safer to stick with one Tony; get any more and it’s a slippery slope much worse than watches!
    Actually, Dave, it’s lucky I don’t have a garage, because I’d still have the Street Triple, and probably the Thruxton too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th April 2022 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I'd love a streetfighter next, have you tested the likely rivals - tuono, s1kr, superduke, etc?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    In the (super?) naked category, so far I've tested the current models of the Tuono V4, 1290 Super Duke R (owned a Gen 2), Speed Triple RS, Monster 1200 and I want to try an MT10 and an S1000R.
    I'd struggle to choose between the Tuono and SDR (and now the Streetfighter) as they are all great in their own ways.

Just realised that my R65 is 40 next month, which means it won't need an MOT.

Which is a good thing as there's no way it would pass one.

R80 goes for MOT tomorrow, wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Just realised that my R65 is 40 next month, which means it won't need an MOT.

Which is a good thing as there's no way it would pass one.

R80 goes for MOT tomorrow, wish me luck.
    Even better, you dont have to pay nearly 100 pa to tax it!

Even better, you dont have to pay nearly 100 pa to tax it!
    Regrettably, because of the registration date and slightly different rules, the R65 still needs taxing until End March 2023.

But as it hasn't turned a wheel for years, it's all a bit academic.

Regrettably, because of the registration date and slightly different rules, the R65 still needs taxing until End March 2023.

But as it hasn't turned a wheel for years, it's all a bit academic.
    That gives you a year to restore it to its former glory.

Seriously thinking that I need the Arrow end can + Free Spirits header for my Tiger. Will someone talk me out of it, please?

Have twin Arrows on one ofmine and it looks better and sounds better all day long. Performance is great already....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master

Sorry day

So prized bike up for sale today. Im helping my lad move into a new flat so needs must. Cant complain as Ive part exex another bike so I end up with two bikes rather than two , but

Hi all,

I had a cracking little run out today using the Calimoto app. Just a local run, 60 miles. Set up using the random round-trip function.
    Lived here all my life and 80% of the places I have been I'd never seen before and it took me on some great roads.

Does anyone else use this app, any feedback?? I'm considering upgrading it to the premium version, has anyone done this ? Was it worth it?

Cheers.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    So prized bike up for sale today. Im helping my lad move into a new flat so needs must. Cant complain as Ive part exex another bike so I end up with two bikes rather than two , but

Oh wow what a beaut

I'm slightly confused as to what's been sold, what's been bought, how many bikes there were and how many there are now, but regardless of that, that KR1S looks awesome

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm slightly confused as to what's been sold, what's been bought, how many bikes there were and how many there are now, but regardless of that, that KR1S looks awesome

Gyp current stable BMW F700GS
    Honda XL 250
    Kwacker Kr1s

Honda part exd for Ktm390 Duke due May
    Bee Em staying
    kR up for sale for cash raising

Lot easier than 3 years ago when there were seven bikes in the garage:)

Steve

That looks IMMACULATE, Steve. What's the mileage on it?

Master
    That looks IMMACULATE, Steve. What's the mileage on it?
    Cheers Tony 6420 miles. I can’t confirm thats right but I have Mot’s going back to 2010 which back it up. Prior to me it was owned by a guy who had three classic ( as in 20k+ ) TZ racing Yamahas and a full blown racing Kr1s.

He bought mine above and gave it to a very thorough KR restorer who did the preverbial nut and bolt rebuild so he could have a road going KR. It was a money no object restoration as long as the bike remained standard eg suspension all refurbished but original, every nut and bolt dressed and electroplated, see below for the engine innards and after his work. I would have that engine on a coffee table.

Lastly if you had smellovision you would smell the two stroke in this video. https://youtu.be/qrQ7FmfGI-w

Ive laboured about selling this , but I want to assist my lad with a house purchase so unfortunately its for the chop. Ones just sold on ebay for 500 more , so probably not a bad time to advertise.

Ps did I say its 32 years old !
    Last edited by higham5; 30th April 2022 at 09:06.

Cheers Tony 6420 miles. I can’t confirm thats right but I have Mot’s going back to 2010 which back it up. Prior to me it was owned by a guy who had three classic ( as in 20k+ ) TZ racing Yamahas and a full blown racing Kr1s.

He bought mine above and gave it to a very thorough KR restorer who did the preverbial nut and bolt rebuild so he could have a road going KR. It was a money no object restoration as long as the bike remained standard eg suspension all refurbished but original, every nut and bolt dressed and electroplated, see below for the engine innards and after his work. I would have that engine on a coffee table.

Lastly if you had smellovision you would smell the two stroke in this video. https://youtu.be/qrQ7FmfGI-w

Ive laboured about selling this , but I want to assist my lad with a house purchase so unfortunately its for the chop. Ones just sold on ebay for 500 more , so probably not a bad time to advertise.

Ps did I say its 32 years old !
    Beautiful.

If it makes you feel any better, we're moving further out next year so I can release some of Sam's future inheritance to get him on the property ladder (if I watch myself he might just escape any tax liability too). Needs must, as you say!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th April 2022 at 09:15.

Seriously thinking that I need the Arrow end can + Free Spirits header for my Tiger. Will someone talk me out of it, please?

Just bought the end can, and should be able to fit it myself by the middle of next week. Very excited!

I decided to forgo the Free Spirits de-cat header as it involves cutting the existing header under the point where the three pipes from the manifold intersect. They claim to give you a refitting kit for the original, but I thought it was a step too far!

Gyp current stable BMW F700GS
    Honda XL 250
    Kwacker Kr1s

Honda part exd for Ktm390 Duke due May
    Bee Em staying
    kR up for sale for cash raising

Lot easier than 3 years ago when there were seven bikes in the garage:)

Steve
    Ah, that makes sense.

I've managed to get down to 4 bikes in the garages but have gone up to 3 cars and 2 bicycles.

Swap almost 2 boxer twins for the KR? Thought not.

Master

How much Steve?? I know someone that may be interested🤔

R80 has passed its MOT!

Good news that cobwebs aren't an MOT failure

Last edited by Gyp; 30th April 2022 at 11:30.

Master
    Just bought the end can, and should be able to fit it myself by the middle of next week. Very excited!

I decided to forgo the Free Spirits de-cat header as it involves cutting the existing header under the point where the three pipes from the manifold intersect. They claim to give you a refitting kit for the original, but I thought it was a step too far!
    I think that's a good solution. Majority of the benefit with far less hassle. You also keep the emissions advantages too. :)

Craftsman
    Love the old R80, class...

Master
    R80 has passed its MOT!

Good news that cobwebs aren't an MOT failure
    One of my mates has just sold one of these to another mate the original owner was an engineer that documented every single task that was ever done on the bike its completely original down to the bicycle tyre pump under the seat. Its just turned 40 so eligible for historic tax etc..👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    One of my mates has just sold one of these to another mate the original owner was an engineer that documented every single task that was ever done on the bike its completely original down to the bicycle tyre pump under the seat. Its just turned 40 so eligible for historic tax etc..
    Mine is a March 1989 bike that I've had since July that year.

The original owner wanted an R100RT but his wife wouldn't let him have anything that powerful so he bought an R80RT and spec'ed all the bolt on bits that were the (non-engine) difference between the two; clock, voltmeter, panniers and top box.

He then dropped it at the end of his road and his wife made him sell it back to the dealer with less than 2k miles on the clock.

I bought it complete with battle scars for quite a bit less than he did.

I don't ride it much but when I do, I'm reminded just how nice it is, even if it's not fast.

Master
    ^^^ My mate has a Thruxton R, Speedtriple 1200, CRF300, Ducati 1098, and a Fireblade. Hes pestered my other mate about this BMW for well over a year now🤓 cos he wants a proper classic in the stable👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    ^^^ My mate has a Thruxton R, Speedtriple 1200, CRF300, Ducati 1098, and a Fireblade. Hes pestered my other mate about this BMW for well over a year now🤓 cos he wants a proper classic in the stable👍
    Should have grabbed mine when it was on SC :-)

Another nice run out today. Just need another 100 mile done before Friday for when it goes in for its run in service.
    Getting some accessories added while it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    Another nice run out today. Just need another 100 mile done before Friday for when it goes in for its run in service.
    Getting some accessories added while it's there.

Lovely looking bike that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great day out (with Howard and his new Harley) on this superb bike, ending up with a late lunch at the Dinton Hermit. The weather was sublime, and the route out there was just one twisty B-road after another.

All being well, it'll be wearing its new Arrow end can the next time I take a photo of it.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st May 2022 at 09:40.

Should make a big difference to the aesthetics Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Should make a big difference to the aesthetics Tony!
    I'm hoping so, Duncan, and it should sound a lot nicer (i.e. deeper) too.

These bikes aren't really customisation monsters - all I've done so far is add the lower engine bars and a small tank pad. After the end can I don't imagine there's anything else I can do to enhance it, save adding pannier rails should I ever tour on it (end even then I might just put some soft luggage on the pillion seat). I'm slowly talking myself out of the vinyl wrap so I'm not sure that'll happen any time soon.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st May 2022 at 09:16.

Great day out on this superb bike, ending up with a late lunch at the Dinton Hermit with Howard and his new Harley. The weather was sublime, and the route out there was just one twisty B-road after another.

All being well, it'll be wearing its new Arrow end can the next time I take a photo of it.
    So - that is a Tiger 900 in road-orientated version? Looks good, and with Tiger build - should be very competent.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    So - that is a Tiger 900 in road-orientated version? Looks good, and with Tiger build - should be very competent.
    It is indeed, and it's incredibly competent. I've done about 3000 miles on it now, and having been really intimidated by it at first I now throw it around almost like I did my Street Triple. It also quite confidence-inspiring when the terrain gets a bit rougher, albeit that road tyres are road tyres. Still, it has a fair bit more travel on the suspension compared to previous bikes I've owned.

The only criticism I have (and it's more an observation than a criticism) is that it's a bit top heavy with 20L of fuel in it. Conversely, it's very easy to push around when necessary, and it's the easiest bike ever to get up on the centre stand.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st May 2022 at 09:39.

It is indeed, and it's incredibly competent. I've done about 3000 miles on it now, and having been really intimidated by it at first I now throw it around almost like I did my Street Triple. It also quite confidence-inspiring when the terrain gets a bit rougher, albeit that road tyres are road tyres. Still, it has a fair bit more travel on the suspension compared to previous bikes I've owned.

The only criticism I have (and it's more an observation than a criticism) is that it's a bit top heavy with 20L of fuel in it. Conversely, it's very easy to push around when necessary, and it's the easiest bike ever to get up on the centre stand.
    Yeah - I looked it up on Triumph website after posting. I think the 1200Tiger was always known for being top-heavy, but the 900 shouldn't be too bad?

I had expected to see it with a 17" front wheel, but perhaps Triumph wanted to not blur the lines between street and tiger.

They ain't slouches by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah - I looked it up on Triumph website after posting. I think the 1200Tiger was always known for being top-heavy, but the 900 shouldn't be too bad?

I had expected to see it with a 17" front wheel, but perhaps Triumph wanted to not blur the lines between street and tiger.

They ain't slouches by any means.
    No, not too bad but worthy of note. I'm also comparing it to recent bikes I've had - the R9T had a very low COG, and the Thruxton was just quite low to the ground (and of course the Street Triple was a light bike all round).

It seems very comfortable doing anything, from filtering through London traffic, to long dual carriageway rides (oh, the cruise control), to blatting around on the twisties. It's been a real revelation, to be honest.

Master
    Made a few more aesthetic and functional tweaks to the Bumblebee and really happy with how it is for now. May add some black engine bars before my trip to the Picos as we will be spending at least 50% offroad. But for UK road use for now, shes good.
    This is my 2nd 1250GS and this particular one seems to pull a fair bit harder and smoother than the last one, and the same D-ESA suspenders feel like they are even more supple AND controlled. Taking big speedbumps at speed are nothing for the GS, and the immense torque just makes it riding with progress in traffic and giventake situations so ridiculously easy. An absolute joy compared to other bikes that make the rider work really hard to make progress when you just want to get on and get gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I poo-poo'd cruise control until I got a bike with it. Great for motorways/peage - especially if there are two or three of you, where you just need to blip up/down occasionally to keep distance to the 'lead' rider. Fuel economy improves on CC also.

one of the reasons i ditched the twin arrows on the speed triple i had was that the bike felt top heavy with them which in turn felt weird going into corners (actually felt like i was riding a T shape ), switching to a 3-1 low boy system improved the bike a hell of a lot imo.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    the immense torque just makes it riding with progress in traffic and giventake situations so ridiculously easy.
    The shift cam engine is an absolute peach, it can still give away it`s `tractor` roots on occasion but it`s about as refined as a tractor can get! Let`s call it `character`.
    I did 160 miles on mine yesterday with the Mrs on the back and the motor is so grunty and flexible it makes no difference to the feel, rideability or performance whether you have a pillion on board or not.
    Apart from the odd squirt when overtaking for example I rarely go above 5000rpm to be honest - there`s no need to even when riding `briskly`, i like to just wallow and luxuriate in the pool of torque and effortless pulling power. You can tootle through a village at 2000rpm and it`ll still pull once out the other side.
    The one thing that did niggle was the slight increase in engine speed versus road speed compared to the oilhead i had previously so i`ve fitted a 2.75 RT final drive to mine which improves the characteristics of the motor further giving an even more relaxed, rangy and long-legged mile-munching feel. It annoys me on other `busy` bikes where you go for another gear only to realise you`re already in sixth, on the GS i`m surprised to see i still have another gear to go. Love it. Smooth, too.
    They`re one of those bikes that the more miles you put on the better they get and the more you appreciate their qualities.

Great day out (with Howard and his new Harley) on this superb bike, ending up with a late lunch at the Dinton Hermit. The weather was sublime, and the route out there was just one twisty B-road after another.

Two really enjoyable rides over Friday and Saturday mate, and your Triumph is an absolute peach.
    But did you get to the bottom of what that intermittent annoying high-pitched squeak was? Sounded like an 11 year old girl but could be a bearing? If you cant locate it, maybe the new end can will be loud enough to drown it out. 😜

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Two really enjoyable rides over Friday and Saturday mate, and your Triumph is an absolute peach.
    But did you get to the bottom of what that intermittent annoying high-pitched squeak was? Sounded like an 11 year old girl but could be a bearing? If you cant locate it, maybe the new end can will be loud enough to drown it out. 😜
    LOLZ. Youre such a git, I knew you wouldnt be able to help yourself!

LOLZ. Youre such a git, I knew you wouldnt be able to help yourself!
    Im amazed I held out as long as I did 😬

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    The one thing that did niggle was the slight increase in engine speed versus road speed compared to the oilhead i had previously so i`ve fitted a 2.75 RT final drive to mine which improves the characteristics of the motor further giving an even more relaxed, rangy and long-legged mile-munching feel. It annoys me on other `busy` bikes where you go for another gear only to realise you`re already in sixth, on the GS i`m surprised to see i still have another gear to go. Love it. Smooth, too.
    They`re one of those bikes that the more miles you put on the better they get and the more you appreciate their qualities.
    Fully agree with your last sentiment. Im now on my 4th GS over the last 100k+ miles and whilst there have always been other bikes in the garage at the same time, none have the all round capabilities and performance of the GS. Ive come to the conclusion that all booking roads eventually come to the GS! Other mates scorned the GS just because every man and his dog has one eventually capitulated and got them. Now they wont let theirs go! There are other focused machines, but Im biased and continue to be amazed and just how brilliant ze GS is. It is an ancient bike that shouldnt really work anywhere near as well as it does.

With regards to your swap of the RT final drive, I have often felt myself looking for the 7th gear. I thought the RS/R final drive about 15% longer than the GS was ideal. Is the RT the same?

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Made a few more aesthetic and functional tweaks to the Bumblebee and really happy with how it is for now. May add some black engine bars before my trip to the Picos as we will be spending at least 50% offroad. But for UK road use for now, she’s good.
    This is my 2nd 1250GS and this particular one seems to pull a fair bit harder and smoother than the last one, and the same D-ESA suspenders feel like they are even more supple AND controlled. Taking big speedbumps at speed are nothing for the GS, and the immense torque just makes it riding ‘with progress’ in traffic and give’n’take situations so ridiculously easy. An absolute joy compared to other bikes that make the rider work really hard to make progress when you just want to ‘get on and get gone’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not seen many in those colours - looks good.

I've never ridden a GS, but well ridden ones can certainly "make progress". I used to have a bit of fun with a rider of one every so often, on the final bit of my commute home many years ago when I was on my GSX-R 750.

I guess I should try a low chassis / low seat height one at some point.
    Last edited by andy tims; 1st May 2022 at 18:28.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57