closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 355 of 360 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355356357 ... LastLast
Results 17,701 to 17,750 of 17989

Thread: More bike related stuff

The Bonny rebuild is coming along, almost ready to give the starter a prod. I’m looking forward to seeing what difference all the mods have made.

The weather was nice enough to prompt me to drag the old Tribsa out for a little jolly the other day. It’s one I should sell really but I can’t bring myself to let it go, it’s just so nice to ride.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The Bonny rebuild is coming along, almost ready to give the starter a prod. I’m looking forward to seeing what difference all the mods have made.

The weather was nice enough to prompt me to drag the old Tribsa out for a little jolly the other day. It’s one I should sell really but I can’t bring myself to let it go, it’s just so nice to ride.
    My view for what its worth on classics that you own is , unless you have a defined need for the cash you raise then dont do it. Ok room in the shed and all that. I got carried away with seven bikes , five of which were classics. A house move catalysed the cull of three of them but the last two I sold I genuinely regret. Even my wife says “ you dont spend half as much time in the garage as you did!!!!. That Tribsa alone has an afternoon of cleaning and polishing with all that alloy :)
    Last edited by higham5; 3rd April 2024 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My view for what its worth on classics that you own is , unless you have a defined need for the cash you raise then dont do it. Ok room in the shed and all that. I got carried away with seven bikes , five of which were classics. A house move catalysed the cull of three of them but the last two I sold I genuinely regret. Even my wife says “ you dont spend half as much time in the garage as you did!!!!. That Tribsa alone has an afternoon of cleaning and polishing with all that alloy :)
    Snap. I currently have seven, five of which are classics. I’m definitely selling two or three that I won’t miss (need the space). I don’t think the Tribsa will be one of them though.

Snap. I currently have seven, five of which are classics. I’m definitely selling two or three that I won’t miss (need the space). I don’t think the Tribsa will be one of them though.
    Do you also have a goldie or did I imagine that one!?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Do you also have a goldie or did I imagine that one!?
    Still got the goldie. The Tribsa is almost the same bike which is why I should sell it, but it’s a bit nicer to ride than the goldie if I’m honest. The goldie however, is irreplaceable.

Last edited by Groundrush; 3rd April 2024 at 12:01.

Lovely, the pair of them! It looks like yours is a DBD34 model running a monoblock carb, does it also have the close ratio RRT2 gearbox?

Thanks for the info!

I do tend to geek out on this kind of stuff....

Master
    Why don’t you go for a ride she said. It ain’t going to rain she said. Ah well🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Why don’t you go for a ride she said. It ain’t going to rain she said. Ah well浪

Great looking 'snack' - is that an onion ring on top?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Great looking 'snack' - is that an onion ring on top?
    sure is👌

Went up from Pickering to Whitby, and continued on through Sandsend and Saltburn. Then, for obscure reasons visited Eston in Middlesbrough, before turning south through Castleton and over Blakey Ridge to Hutton-le-Hole, where I'm having tea and toast.

At Sandsend it was high tide and the sea was really giving the sea wall what for.

On the way north I popped by Goathland. I think that detour is a lot more enjoyable going south.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Went up from Pickering to Whitby, and continued on through Sandsend and Saltburn. Then, for obscure reasons visited Eston in Middlesbrough, before turning south through Castleton and over Blakey Ridge to Hutton-le-Hole, where I'm having tea and toast.

At Sandsend it was high tide and the sea was really giving the sea wall what for.

On the way north I popped by Goathland. I think that detour is a lot more enjoyable going south.
    Eston, my old stomping grounds, I feel for you haha...
    I do like a run over to Helmsley then Whitby via Pickering for a bag of chips...

Master
    Brightened up later😎😎

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Eston, my old stomping grounds, I feel for you haha.
    Popped into a suburban boozer to say hello to the landlady, who used to run my local. I was told that the neighbourhood had recently had both a stabbing and a shooting. Was quite pleased my bike was still in the car park once I had had my Diet Coke and Mini Cheddars. Castleton seemed a million miles away, not just 16.

Popped into a suburban boozer to say hello to the landlady, who used to run my local. I was told that the neighbourhood had recently had both a stabbing and a shooting. Was quite pleased my bike was still in the car park once I had had my Diet Coke and Mini Cheddars. Castleton seemed a million miles away, not just 16.
    Haha, that sounds about right, surprised anyone wants to visit there tbh lol, next time you are in Saltburn make sure you try SeaBreeze chippy, best Fish & Chips for miles around (and I include Whitby in that)...

Master
    Brightened up later

Not bike related, but there is a lovely quiet lanes walk from Carrog to Llangollen. You pass the start of Llangollen canal too. Takes about 2/3 hrs we did it late last year.

Any cafe suggestions for Yarm?

Looking at Google results, Cafe Magdalene sounds a good possibility
    Last edited by Der Amf; 4th April 2024 at 21:28.

Any cafe suggestions for Yarm?

Looking at Google results, Cafe Magdalene sounds a good possibility
    There's a better farm shop which has a cracking cafe (better than any in Yarm) built onto it about 0.5 mile outside of Yarm, called Five Houses, does great lunches and the best pork pies around...
    https://www.fivehouses.co.uk

I think i`ve got a problem developing.
    I can`t stop looking at/thinking about 1290 Super Dukes.
    The pull is strong.
    173BHP of pull, apparently...

T120 help please!

My bike is currently in storage so I can't check myself, but I urgently need the equivalent of the lug to lug distance for a T120. In other words, the total length from the outermost edge of one tyre to the other (which I don't believe is the same as the wheelbase measurement shown on the specs).

Can anyone help, please?

Master
    I guess you could calculate it, Tony?

Wheelbase + (front wheel diameter/2) + (rear wheel diameter/2) + tyres (which is dependent on size/profile)

Alternatively, Google suggests the overall length is 2170mm…

https://tamaritmotorcycles.com/en-us...0the%20ground.

Does the given total length include the number plate hanging beyond the rear tyre?

Does the given total length include the number plate hanging beyond the rear tyre?
    That’s a very good point, and yes it does. I need it to be less than 7.25ft in total.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th April 2024 at 09:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My bike is currently in storage so I can't check myself, but I urgently need the equivalent of the lug to lug distance for a T120. In other words, the total length from the outermost edge of one tyre to the other (which I don't believe is the same as the wheelbase measurement shown on the specs).

Can anyone help, please?
    Tony if you are using this measure for your garage internal dimensions, remember to factor in “ wriggle room” for parking the bike . If your T120 has a main stand it rocks back about 4” on it. If just the side stand leave room at each end if you are fitting a Almax or Pragmasis chain, just for looping through the frame or wheels.

Tony if you are using this measure for your garage internal dimensions, remember to factor in “ wriggle room” for parking the bike . If your T120 has a main stand it rocks back about 4” on it. If just the side stand leave room at each end if you are fitting a Almax or Pragmasis chain, just for looping through the frame or wheels.
    No, I’m just looking at another option altogether. It’ll only be a factor if I don’t proceed with either a garage (which'll be about 12x16ft) or a large shed due to cost, but I think that’s unlikely. (The first contractor is coming this afternoon, and another is due tomorrow morning.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th April 2024 at 09:28.

Master
    You gotta bear in mind your propensity for changing bikes, Tony…. :)

My second service will be due by the end of the month, trying to calculate when it'll be wanted.

Am I right in supposing that to a future purchaser, a service 150 miles early looks better than one 150 miles late?

Need new tyres on my R-1, Local place - ride in/ride out….. ..

Looks like it’ll be the Bridgestones then….

My second service will be due by the end of the month, trying to calculate when it'll be wanted.

Am I right in supposing that to a future purchaser, a service 150 miles early looks better than one 150 miles late?
    I would say so yes, but 150 miles either way wouldn’t be significant for me.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    You gotta bear in mind your propensity for changing bikes, Tony…. :)
    I’m actually quite worried that the garage will open up all sorts of risks in terms of giving in to temptation (at least it will stop me having to sell mine in order to try another)! That said, I do feel that the ‘24 Tiger 900 Pro would be a fantastic partner to the Bonnie, so that’s the likely outcome at some point; I think it'll take a while for some low mileage pre-loved examples tov hit the market, mind.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 6th April 2024 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Tyre prices do seem to have got quite spendy recently.

Master
    There were a few armed police raids the other night in Eston. Shootings aren’t uncommon around here usually drugs related.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

£90 fitting charge.. Wow.

He isn't a high volume tyre fitter- he is a bike mechanic. I've watched him change others' tyres and it takes him about an hour.

think he charges £60/hr. Add in VAT and disposal etc................. Other volume places are around £35 fitting, but the tyres are slightly dearer.

He is probably a lot more careful than your average volume tyre fitters, which is what I want for my carbonfibre wheels, AND - I like to put some business his way, as it is a useful local resource.

Now - if I was putting tyres on every 3 months- that might be different!

Looking forward to a new arrival.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I would say so yes, but 150 miles either way wouldn’t be significant for me.
    Definitely agree with this^^^^^^^. Over Covid lots of bikes and vehicles went way over service limits on both time and miles. If you look at the new Triumph Speed 400 the service interval (after the first 625 mls ) is 10,000 miles OR 12 months. Other than the Deliveroo boys amongst us I bet there a few leisure riders that put 10k on a single bike. 150 miles either way will hardly be noticed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Looking forward to a new arrival.

Your Kwacker stable looks to be growing :)

Master
    Mine from the late 80’s😎

Master
    How long do you guess it would take to remove 2 wheels- remove old and refit new tyres, balance the wheels and refit them and dispose of the old ones?
    Many tradesmen on here justifing hourly rates for qualified tradespeople - this is really no different

Master
    Other than the Deliveroo boys amongst us I bet there a few leisure riders that put 10k on a single bike. 150 miles either way will hardly be noticed.
    My GS (delivered late May 2023) says “hold my beer”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    How long do you guess it would take to remove 2 wheels- remove old and refit new tyres, balance the wheels and refit them and dispose of the old ones?
    Many tradesmen on here justifing hourly rates for qualified tradespeople - this is really no different
    I usually take loose wheels to a local guy whom charges me £10 for a tubeless wheel, and £15 for a tubed wheel.

But if I wanted a ride in ride out Demon Tweeks charge as below.

Mine from the late 80’s😎

I had a B1 in the early eighties and a C1 in the late eighties (sold in 1990 when I bought a new ZZR600 and thought it pointless having more than one bike!).

I always fancied another and bit the bullet because prices are starting to rise at an alarming rate. This one I have no intention of ever selling though. It’s not perfect but useable whilst I sort out the bits I want to do.

Master
    New seat for the Bobber project. Black alcantara with medical gell memory foam, and with bronze and burgundy stitching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I had a B1 in the early eighties and a C1 in the late eighties (sold in 1990 when I bought a new ZZR600 and thought it pointless having more than one bike!).

I always fancied another and bit the bullet because prices are starting to rise at an alarming rate. This one I have no intention of ever selling though. It’s not perfect but useable whilst I sort out the bits I want to do.
    Had a red B1 back in the day. One of the few cars/bikes I wish I’d never sold.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I usually take loose wheels to a local guy whom charges me £10 for a tubeless wheel, and £15 for a tubed wheel.

Demontweeks
    So - £46 (from) for ride-in/ride out.
    £288 for the pair of Battlaxes from DemonTweeks

• £334 at DemonTweeks
    • £350 at my local independant.

There are cheaper and dearer, than the range above - of course.

Master
    Demontweeks
    So - £46 (from) for ride-in/ride out.
    £288 for the pair of Battlaxes from DemonTweeks

• £334 at DemonTweeks
    • £350 at my local independant.

There are cheaper and dearer, than the range above - of course.
    Of course. Personally I shop around and then take em to my local guy at £10 quid a wheel, but I understand that not everyone has got the time, tools, ability, desire or facilities to remove and refit wheels themselves. A few mates use DT because it’s convenient. I also understand being nervous of whom fits tyres to carbon wheels. I suspect my local guy wouldn’t want to do them. £90 seems a lot, but then again overheads, cost of equipment staying in business etc. I’m probably out of touch.

My mate is off to DT next week, they have an offer on Pirelli angels for his BMWR1250.

Of course. Personally I shop around and then take em to my local guy at £10 quid a wheel, but I understand that not everyone has got the time, tools, ability, desire or facilities to remove and refit wheels themselves. A few mates use DT because it’s convenient. I also understand being nervous of whom fits tyres to carbon wheels. I suspect my local guy wouldn’t want to do them. £90 seems a lot, but then again overheads, cost of equipment staying in business etc. I’m probably out of touch.

My mate is off to DT next week, they have an offer on Pirelli angels for his BMWR1250.
    Yeah - my local guy is doing the bridgestones cheaper than many places, but higher on fitting.

I think a place in Edinburgh is good on price, and quoted £35 (around). I like to give this local guy business - he provides a good service and is totally honest and professional. I fit my own tyres to 'normal' wheels, but ain't risking it on the CF ones.

I take my old tyres to local car tyre place- £3 each to dispose of.

I suspect the word "from" is doing quite a bit of heavy lifting in that pricing.

On my BMW, with centre stand, shaft drive, drum brake and single sided swing arm, wheel off and wheel on is a couple of minutes. On my Triumph with chain, rear disk, spacers etc it takes a relative age.

After a complete rebuild, including a fully blue printed engine, it only went first kick! That was a pleasant surprise. It has good blood pressure and the cams seem to have survived the first 10 minutes (which is always a concern when you fit new lumpy ones). It sounds quite lively, we’ll have to see just how lively when I’ve set it up and can take it for a shakedown ride. I have a few more jobs before I can do that but the list is getting short now.

While my ally welding could never be described as stunning, I was reasonably pleased with the fin repair I managed to pull off, can you spot which one I replaced?
    Last edited by Groundrush; 7th April 2024 at 12:05.

Master
    After a complete rebuild, including a fully blue printed engine, it only went first kick! That was a pleasant surprise. It has good blood pressure and the cams seem to have survived the first 10 minutes (which is always a concern when you fit new lumpy ones). It sounds quite lively, we’ll have to see just how lively when I’ve set it up and can take it for a shakedown ride. I have a few more jobs before I can do that but the list is getting short now.

While my ally welding could never be described as stunning, I was reasonably pleased with the fin repair I managed to pull off, can you spot which one I replaced?
    I’d say the bottom one. Most likely one to break when knocking a stuck head off🤓