closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 62 of 354 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Tony mine were 32/33 so as a 29” leg Im not surprised, on researching the Richmond they were all sold in 33” legs. I deliberately sought out BMW Rallye pants in a short leg, the armour is still low despite BM having velcro pockets that reposition it. Its a consequence of being short in the leg.

My BKS leather jeans in short leg are the nearest I Have achieved to made to measure, they are superb, as testified by the Police using them , but blo...y hot on a day like today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This shows it a little clearer.
    Gotcha, I thought the shock went the other way. Doh
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Get a pair of Knox stocking armour pads for knees. much better than slot in ones
    Cheers Blackal, I tried my BM D30 still to low the pocket is as least 8” high. Then I tried my 2009 BM kneepads which must be 8”” tall, the Knox are nice and flexible , so Im going to ask my wife to put a stitch in the pocket, then we will see how I get on, at present with the Knox or the D30 it feels like a set of cow bells around your shins !

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony mine were 32/33 so as a 29” leg Im not surprised, on researching the Richmond they were all sold in 33” legs. I deliberately sought out BMW Rallye pants in a short leg, the armour is still low despite BM having velcro pockets that reposition it. Its a consequence of being short in the leg.

My BKS leather jeans in short leg are the nearest I Have achieved to made to measure, they are superb, as testified by the Police using them , but blo...y hot on a day like today.
    I thought that too, but as you can see here they do actually come in a 30" leg as well. Mine are certainly labelled 32/30 although (as I said) I don't think they adjust the position on the knee armour pocket.

I have't seen the BMW jobbies but I imagine they were horribly expensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I have a couple of pairs of Hornee Jeans, and really rate them. No internal pockets for armour, but i use their knee-armour stockings which are better at staying in position if you come off the bike.

All these jeans get pretty grubby in use, and are not as cool as you might expect - you can still get extremely hot in them in France and Spain for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ve got a couple of pairs of Bull-it Covec jeans.... seem ok, although I did have a pair that split on a seam after only a few days use...
    To be fair I got a full refund..
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’ve just bought a pair of Knox Richmond II - fully Kevlar-lined with knee and hip protection but remarkably light weight compared to others I have or have handled. Definitely the best I’ve come across for summer use.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    I've got a pair of Hood jeans which are good for winter as they are incredibly thick and heavy (very baggy though) and a pair of PMJ legend cafe racers for summer.

The PMJ were ridiculously expensive but are single lined without losing any protection, fit really well and feel no heavier or warmer than my normal jeans. Love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i have a pair of RST aramid vintage jeans i wear occasionally , very comfortable though only part lined afaik with knee armour @ around £90 they are one of the cheapest riding jeans out there and are cooler than leather trousers , for those feeling flush some if the best fully lined are draggin jeans tho they are around £250 last time i looked.
    i always ride in some sort of gear to save getting skinned alive (like some here i have friends and have seen pppl with bad injuries due to riding in tshirts/ shorts) , i dont often go out on the bike if im going to get cooked alive (like yesterday @30'c )
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I have some Ducati ones (because I had a credit to use up) but they are made by Dainese and seem OK and look pretty much like normal jeans.

The denim is reinforced plus they have additional internal lining on the seat and knees. The knees also have some very thin removable armour although this I would say is more shock absorbing than armour like in leathers or textiles.

They look good and should be better than normal denim in the event of a tumble.
    Thanks guys gonna have a look at the different makes.

Master
    I thought that too,

I have't seen the BMW jobbies but I imagine they were horribly expensive.
    Yup £285 in the sale! But they are soooper vented and come with gore tex liners.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cheers Blackal, I tried my BM D30 still to low the pocket is as least 8” high. Then I tried my 2009 BM kneepads which must be 8”” tall, the Knox are nice and flexible , so Im going to ask my wife to put a stitch in the pocket, then we will see how I get on, at present with the Knox or the D30 it feels like a set of cow bells around your shins !
    Not just applicable to you - but if any jeans-wearers can move the armour to the side of their knees due to the play in the denim - then that is probably where the armour will end up, when your knee hits the tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Perfect, thanks! Now need to decide between black and dark smoked
    I went with black. Can't remember the last time I looked through the screen and it will look mean on the triple black!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Just back from 3 days around Wales ... Brecon , Newtown, Aberystwyth, Swodonia, Shrewbury.
    Amazing roads .. and we missed the heatwave that happened on Saturday - it was overcast for us... so nice and cool.

I’ve just got back myself, it was cold going to Cardigan bay on Saturday with heavy wet mist.

I also encountered some looney riding,riding a sports bike to its limit is not clever on the road.
    I could see people riding way past their skill set.

Wales was lovely though,great roads,great people I even taught myself some Welsh which surprised them

I wear Rokker Rokkertech jeans, expensive but very comfortable, and cool in this weather.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I wear Rokker Rokkertech jeans, expensive but very comfortable, and cool in this weather.
    Best buy to date on bike jeans. Worth the dough
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Best buy to date on bike jeans. Worth the dough
    Look great, but my legs would need to be at least 4 inches longer :-(

Still, that's £350 to spend on bits for the bike instead!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Look great, but my legs would need to be at least 4 inches longer :-(

Still, that's £350 to spend on bits for the bike instead!
    A decent shop will offer free tailoring on them. Like motolegends or any decent seemstress.
    RIAC

I've got these Resurgence Café Racer Skinny jeans......

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/resurge...vedge-raw.html

Not cheap, but great quality. Being 'selvedge' they should keep the 'jeans brigade' on here partly happy too (though not sure how many ex welsh miners are involved)! They come with D30 armour included which even fits in the right place for my short legs.

I wear British army Afghan combat trousers, old timberlands and a hoodie most days. Keeps you focused ( and cool )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Same here, don't feel too far off regular jeans. Tried some cheaper riding jeans but they just felt too thick.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Food for thought.

My last off a year ago I found myself sliding down the road my eye inches from the tarmac the visor taking the brunt.
    There was no time to think or move.

I’ve seen that graphic before and it’s a sobering one for those of us that wear open face helmets.

Indeed, and as someone who has just bought a BMW Airflow 2 open face, isn't quite bonding and is considering selling it on, it's unfortunately timed :-(

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Master

Summer Jacket

Having been slowly roasted wearing my wax cotton jacket in the heat of Wales at the weekend I ordered a proper summer jacket, which arrived already!

Knox Zephyr Pro ... it's a mesh style fabric with built in protection.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/435703

Something lighter and armoured for the retro summer gent?

Craftsman
    I have just tried the Knox Richmond Jeans, Great fit the top, however the chap I bought them from had the leg length shortened, but on the strength of a trip wearing them I have ordered a new pair from Sportsbikeshop ant the bargain price of £104. (Old ones may be making an appearance in SC!) Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This shows it a little clearer.
    I can spy some dies - has someone bought a hydraulic pipe bender?
    You won`t make a frame with one of those....

Been a bit too busy to post of late so a bit of catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Superb! Well done! Eventually everyone lands on the GS... :D
    Not quite. They are great bikes, but too tall (even the low version) and heavy for me.

@learningtofly - As others have said, get your suspension properly set up. Steve Jordan are good but actually I’d suggest going to a track day and get the suspension guy there to do it for you for £50 or £60. You don’t have to actually go round the track, just get out on the local roads and then go back and give him feedback until you’re happy.
    I use Tyres for Bikes or 100% Suspension one or twice a season on my track bike and it makes a huge difference. I understand the very basics but those guys are experts. Once properly set up, if you’re then really riding hard enough to use ALL of your bikes handling, THEN consider upgrading.
    On the S1000rr once the static sag is set for your weight the rest of the adjustments are electronic, so it’s easy to change things one click at a time, but unless you ride hard enough, you don’t necessarily notice the difference.

Anyway, I had a very good blast on the S1000rr early Sunday morning and I’m really looking forward to next week - 3 days at Snetterton with a load of guys (and a few girls) from the Odiham Motorcycle Club. Monday is a regular commercial day open to anyone (although it will be OMCC heavy), but Tuesday and Wednesday are OMCC exclusive days.
    Last edited by andy tims; 1st July 2019 at 21:22.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    @learningtofly - As others have said, get your suspension properly set up. Steve Jordan are good but actually I’d suggest going to a track day and get the suspension guy there to do it for you for £50 or £60. You don’t have to actually go round the track, just get out on the local roads and then go back and give him feedback until you’re happy.
    That logic works fine if you have a bike with adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the R9t isn't adjustable at all at the front and only has preload adjustment at the back.

Setting static sag at the back, and even then fairly crudely, is the entirety of the adjustment available

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I can spy some dies - has someone bought a hydraulic pipe bender?
    You won`t make a frame with one of those....
    In the big flower pot? Sorry no, they’re exhaust downpipes and fork stanchions. The blue thing behind is a tile cutter.

I’ve not got a pipe bender, I don’t think I’m ready to build a frame yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That logic works fine if you have a bike with adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the R9t isn't adjustable at all at the front and only has preload adjustment at the back.

Setting static sag at the back, and even then fairly crudely, is the entirety of the adjustment available

Correct. Well, preload and damping at the back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Not quite. They are great bikes, but too tall (even the low version) and heavy for me.
    Hi Andy, yes - twas a bit tongue-in-cheek my comment! That being said...

Took the 1250 out on Sunday to Benson for brekky and it was a total blast. For my style of riding, there isn’t a faster or more competent bike over the many B and A roads. I am enthralled by the mid-range grunt and chassis of the latest GS. The revised self-levelling and adaptive suspension is so much better than anything I have tried before.

Interestingly, I swapped bikes with my mate’s GSA HP and we compared notes. The GS is so much more agile edge to edge compared to the GSA. The GS is not as plush, and the GSA feels quite a bit more stable as if the gyroscopic effect is greater. But at slow speeds, the GSA’s steering is faster, and feels more twitchy at higher speeds. Akra on the 1250 sounds even louder than on the 1200. Sunday at Benson had a nice selection of bikes including a H2 amongst others.

That H2 is a stunning bike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bikes
    Last edited by bwest76; 2nd July 2019 at 21:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That H2 is a stunning bike
    Stunning price too. I was gobsmacked when I looked.

Master

Adventure at the Nurburgring

Had some fun at the 'Ring a couple weeks ago on the R1250.

Blog Entries
    Well ordered some Bull-it Covert Straight Cover Jeans and they arrived today. Will be back in the post tomorrow I think. Knee armour is just right for shin pads, or calf pads as they can move around! £180 and that simple an error. Sometimes I wonder about these companies.

make sure you sit on the bike in them first , my RST jeans knee pads hang below the knee until i sit on the bike and they ride up into the proper position.

Blog Entries
    make sure you sit on the bike in them first , my RST jeans knee pads hang below the knee until i sit on the bike and they ride up into the proper position.
    How will they stay there in the event of falling off? Surely as soon as you are 'off' the bike they will be anywhere except in the proper position? You won't hit the road in a sitting position in all probability, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How will they stay there in the event of falling off? Surely as soon as you are 'off' the bike they will be anywhere except in the proper position? You won't hit the road in a sitting position in all probability, surely?
    maybe not, though you take the same chance with all the equipment you wear - your jacket has a chance to ride up your back/front etc if you are traveling along the ground on your back/front at speed , the same goes for the arms in your jacket.
    all clothing does for bike riders is offer 'some' damage mitigation in the event of an accident.

Just bought a pair of jeans yesterday. Fantastic slim fit, very comfortable, and the knee armour (knox) can be adusted up or down a few inches so that it sits correctly, and doesn't dig into the lower kneecap when you're walking.
    Very pleased! £160. Very high abrasion score too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Just bought a pair of jeans yesterday. Fantastic slim fit, very comfortable, and the knee armour (knox) can be adusted up or down a few inches so that it sits correctly, and doesn't dig into the lower kneecap when you're walking.
    Very pleased! £160. Very high abrasion score too.
    Which ones were they please?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Which ones were they please?
    Whooooops!
    Sorry!

PMJ.
    Available at J&S or Sportsbikeshop.

They use Twaron for anti abrasion.
    Virtually the same stuff as Kevlar.
    Used in bullet proof vests and armour and stuff...etc, etc..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Whooooops!
    Sorry!

PMJ.
    Available at J&S or Sportsbikeshop.

They use Twaron for anti abrasion.
    Virtually the same stuff as Kevlar.
    Used in bullet proof vests and armour and stuff...etc, etc..
    Oh ok thanks. Will have a look but 'slim fit' might be pushing it a bit!

I think they do several different cuts.

Well, nearly there with regard to mods now...

Unit Garage silencer sans DB killer...

And a Scrambler seat with some custom upholstery to go with the paint job...

Just waiting on some orange levers now and then I'm done.

A quick consolidated R9T update as there have been quite a few changes (with some more to come)...

MachineArt X-Head engine protectors...

Wunderlich tank pads (I'm not 100% sure about the centre pad but I couldn't find anything better and the knee pads look great)...

Puig bar end mirrors (the lane splitters were just too small)...

Evotech oil cooler guard...

And Remus flapper delete...

I also have a Unit Garage slip-on due to arrive this week and some nice orange Strada 7 shorty levers on the way. Oh, and I'm about to drop a Scrambler seat off for re-upholstering... it'll be black with orange piping and stitching when it's done. I also want to fit a Monza fuel cap but haven't decided which one to go for as yet.

I'll update the thread with photos as and when they're fitted

Master
    Looking good Tony.. time for another YT video?

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Looking good Tony.. time for another YT video?
    Actually I'm about to record a Unit Garage sound check, so that'll be the next one

Edit: here you go!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd July 2019 at 18:38.

Bike looks lovely Tony. If desperate for levers I would just get some lovely Rizoma mirrors but probably not in orange.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Bike looks lovely Tony. If desperate for levers I would just get some lovely Rizoma mirrors but probably not in orange.
    Thanks very much. I do have some levers on the way - in orange - but hopefully they’ll look okay. They’re meant to be pretty good and are far, far cheaper than the Rizomas.

Thanks very much. I do have some levers on the way - in orange - but hopefully they’ll look okay. They’re meant to be pretty good and are far, far cheaper than the Rizomas.
    The price of the Rizomas is the reason I don't change levers! But honestly, bike looks incredible. Tasteful changes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Rizomas are the parts to go with, provided you can afford. Last a lifetime........four months for you Tony.

The price of the Rizomas is the reason I don't change levers! But honestly, bike looks incredible. Tasteful changes.
    Seriously, thank you!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Some nice changes and mods there Tony. Looks well nice, enjoy it.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app