timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 358 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 17894

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I have an SC Projects can on my beemer, it sounds glorious
    With or without baffle, Duncan?

when you own a triple baffle out is a pre requisite :)
    dealers still have the video of mine up when i first bought it a yr ago..... arrow cans no baffles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySCUEnS0Z2o

Master
    Just be aware that most silencing on modern bikes is done by the cat so if you remove that and then fit something like a SC Project or Racefit MotoGP style can it'll be obnoxiously loud. My old R6 had the cat and an Akrapovic 'can' which was actually just a titanium tube with no silencing and it wasn't much louder than with the standard can fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    With or without baffle, Duncan?
    With baffle and cat still in place. It sounds a lot more purposeful than on the standard can and pops nicely on the overun. I don't like exhausts when they get too loud, my mate had a KTM 1290 Super Duke with a decatted full Akro system and I could hear him over the sound of my bike when he was following me, just too loud really.

With baffle and cat still in place. It sounds a lot more purposeful than on the standard can and pops nicely on the overun. I don't like exhausts when they get too loud, my mate had a KTM 1290 Super Duke with a decatted full Akro system and I could hear him over the sound of my bike when he was following me, just too loud really.
    Thanks Duncan. I had to pop in to the dealership on Friday, and noticed that one of their Triple Rs had the Yoshimura that I fancy fitted to it. I have to say it looked lovely, but it was inside the showroom and I didn't get an opportunity to give it a listen. I think I'm also right in saying that the cat on a Triple is inside the pipes, where the three merge into one... I'll have to do a bit more research on what's possible as to decat it may require a full system swap.

As an aside I was totting up what this adventure has cost me - from taking the initial CBT to the bike swap with the new extras fitted. Oh, and the insurance increase, which was frankly quite shocking (and something I was unprepared for). Aside from the fact that I've now hit the overall figure that was my absolute limit in terms of budget, it's amazing how the little things mount up. Of all the things I've bought, there's only about £250-worth that in hindsight I wouldn't have spent (a pair of boots that are marginally tight, and the jacket that I've listed for sale). However, I think that switching bikes - as opposed to buying the Triple straight off - has left me £1-1.2k worse off than I'd otherwise have been. Could have been worse, right?

It's due to land at Herts Triumph on Tuesday, all being well, so I'll get my hands on it towards the end of next week

Master

As an aside I was totting up what this adventure has cost me - from taking the initial CBT to the bike swap with the new extras fitted. Oh, and the insurance increase, which was frankly quite shocking (and something I was unprepared for). Aside from the fact that I've now hit the overall figure that was my absolute limit in terms of budget, it's amazing how the little things mount up. Of all the things I've bought, there's only about £250-worth that in hindsight I wouldn't have spent (a pair of boots that are marginally tight, and the jacket that I've listed for sale). However, I think that switching bikes - as opposed to buying the Triple straight off - has left me £1-1.2k worse off than I'd otherwise have been. Could have been worse, right?

It's due to land at Herts Triumph on Tuesday, all being well, so I'll get my hands on it towards the end of next week
    As you say, it could have been worse, and hopefully, I'm learning from your mistakes!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Street Triple shortly.

Swapping the end can doesn't make a huge difference to the Db levels, it's mainly the tone that changes.
    90% of silencing and emmission contol happens in the bread tin. Swap that out for a full system and you can gain a few hp's, but undoubtedly it will upset the fuelling. Will then most likely need a pcV and some dyno time to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Swapping the end can doesn't make a huge difference to the Db levels, it's mainly the tone that changes.
    90% of silencing and emmission contol happens in the bread tin. Swap that out for a full system and you can gain a few hp's, but undoubtedly it will upset the fuelling. Will then most likely need a pcV and some dyno time to fix.
    The big difference with the Yoshi (and the alternative from SC Project) as that you lose the large black box that sits between the headers and the end can on the stock exhaust. I think that may be the silencer, actually, but its a fugly thing.

The bike looks far, far better without it, and the Yoshi not only has a far lower tone to it but the baffle is also removable. (The SC Project can has a tone similar to the existing, but like the Yoshi it looks a lot better with a connector pipe instead of the box.

Stock...

Yoshi,, which is also 4.23kg lighter than the stock setup...

And SC Project - lighter than stock again...

The first image doesn't show a bellypan fitted, but you can see clearly how unsightly the large box is. Both aftermarket options look infinitely better and save a fair amount of weight. I think the SC Project looks sexier, but the Yoshi sounds better
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th November 2018 at 19:35.

getting rid of the cat and getting a custom map will prob get you about 5/7hp - which is bugger all tbh , but thats not why you buy one or where the value lies - the value is in the grin on your face everytime you open the throttle or close it and get popping on the rolloff .
    Last edited by pugster; 11th November 2018 at 13:33.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    getting rid of the cat and getting a custom map will prob get you about 5/7hp - which is bugger all tbh , but thats not why you buy one or where the value lies - the value is in the grin on your face everytime you open the throttle or close it and get popping on the rolloff .
    Well, the cat is where the headers merge on this bike - I think the unsightly box is just a silencer. Otherwise, agreed!

I like the yoshi I but prefer the standard pipe to the SC Project one

Maybe I’m just being a bit thick, but won’t getting rid of the cat make it an MOT failure (albeit in 3 years time) ?

And I take it you have to declare it with your insurers too, else you might not be covered ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Maybe I’m just being a bit thick, but won’t getting rid of the cat make it an MOT failure (albeit in 3 years time) ?

And I take it you have to declare it with your insurers too, else you might not be covered ?

Well, for the nth time the cat is in the headers so isn’t touched. That aside, emissions aren’t tested at MOT time and I don’t think insurers would be bothered anyway.

Well, for the nth time the cat is in the headers so isn’t touched. That aside, emissions aren’t tested at MOT time and I don’t think insurers would be bothered anyway.
    Fair enough. I’ve always been under the impression that cosmetic mods (eg fly screen) don’t need to be declared, but anything performance related should be. And even if you just get a 1 or 2 bhp increase with a new exhaust, it gives them a get out if not stated. But maybe I’m just being naive ?

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Fair enough. I’ve always been under the impression that cosmetic mods (eg fly screen) don’t need to be declared, but anything performance related should be. And even if you just get a 1 or 2 bhp increase with a new exhaust, it gives them a get out if not stated. But maybe I’m just being naive ?
    Better to declare rather than have a claim invalidated. I even declare braided brake hoses when I've upgraded.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

True, on the day of pick up I rang my insurer from the dealer and he asked if there were any extras. Just heated grips I replied and he put me on hold to check with the underwriter hahaha

Craftsman
    so i've basically just traded it in against a Street Triple R in jet black.
    Just been catching up - this has really made me laugh!

Am a bit concerned all your talk of striple mods is going to end up costing me as I replicate..

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Just been catching up - this has really made me laugh!

Am a bit concerned all your talk of striple mods is going to end up costing me as I replicate..

The big difference with the Yoshi (and the alternative from SC Project) as that you lose the large black box that sits between the headers and the end can on the stock exhaust. I think that may be the silencer, actually, but it a fugky thing.

:
    The 'large black box' is part of the oe silencer, and is mostly cosmetic.
    Agree, the Yoshi & SC Pr are just slipons.
    Using this route, the bread tin still remains.
    Therefore a remap usually not required.
    Full headers are required to eliminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The 'large black box' is part of the oe silencer, and is mostly cosmetic.
    Agree, the Yoshi & SC Pr are just slipons.
    Using this route, the bread tin still remains.
    Therefore a remap usually not required.
    Full headers are required to eliminate it.
    Long story, but I had all 4 different Triumph slip on cans for my Tiger 1050 and, despite all of them retaining the cat, all had different official triumph maps

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Long story, but I had all 4 different Triumph slip on cans for my Tiger 1050 and, despite all of them retaining the cat, all had different official triumph maps
    Good to know. I’ll get the guys at Triumph to fit it anyway, and it’s apparently only a few quid for a tune at the same time.

Craftsman
    I didn’t yet. I’m thinking I may get some Rukka trousers.
    Sorry, not been on this thread for a while, if you want Rukka try www.biker-land.de
    I've purchased a couple of Rukka suits from them over the years, loads cheaper than the UK retailers and delivered to your door within a few days

Just a quick update, but the Street Triple arrived at the dealership yesterday, so I popped over there today to have a look at it and sign some papers. It's bloody beautiful, and because I opted for the R in the low ride height I can flat foot it too (I know it's not 100% necessary, but I was on tip toes with the standard height bike and I have a lot of manoeuvring to do at home, I filter a lot, etc etc).

I'm collecting it next Thursday morning, and in the interim they're fitting heated grips, tail tidy, grab rails, frame protectors and paddock stand bobbins. I'm really excited, and the day after I collect it I'm booked in for an ACF-50 treatment. That's in Chesham, which is a lovely ride from where I live.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th November 2018 at 19:21.

congrats, im sure you will enjoy it :)
    if the mrs is going on the back dont forget to tell her you will tap her on the knee or something if you are going to speed up , the bike you have has enough torque and power that its quite easy to 'lose' your pillion if they are not ready for it: )

congrats, im sure you will enjoy it :)
    if the mrs is going on the back dont forget to tell her you will tap her on the knee or something if you are going to speed up , the bike you have has enough torque and power that its quite easy to 'lose' your pillion if they are not ready for it: )
    Haha... yes, she will be going on the back now and again, and I'd already decided on a leg tap at the appropriate time!

Master
    Tony this thread is just set to run and run!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony this thread is just set to run and run!

Steve
    I know

Master
    Just a quick update, but the Street Triple arrived at the dealership yesterday, so I popped over there today to have a look at it and sign some papers. It's bloody beautiful, and because I opted for the R in the low ride height I can flat foot it too (I know it's not 100% necessary, but I was on tip toes with the standard height bike and I have a lot of manoeuvring to do at home, I filter a lot, etc etc).

I'm collecting it next Thursday morning, and in the interim they're fitting heated grips, tail tidy, grab rails, frame protectors and paddock stand bobbins. I'm really excited, and the day after I collect it I'm booked in for an ACF-50 treatment. That's in Chesham, which is a lovely ride from where I live.
    Congrats! Hope it stays dry and just about warm enough to ride! Heated grips?

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Congrats! Hope it stays dry and just about warm enough to ride! Heated grips?
    Yes, and me too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    There’s very few if any systems better than a full Akrapovic.

I had a yoshi end can on the bike I bought this year it sounded worse than standard,like an angry bee and response was poor.

My friend fitted his s/h Akrapovic to my bike for me,instantly the response and the sound was better.

4 weeks later when PDQ had a time slot I went over and they dynoed and jetted my bike,the mechanics top rate [he races as well].
    He had to strip and clean the carbs it’s a 12 year old bike and contrary to what the seller told me not in such good condition.
    it was getting expensive,when he finished I asked him to test ride.
    He said my head bearings where unserviceable and he was right when my friend changed them they where a rusty mess,he also serviced my forks.

It was all worth it,it’s not so much the BHP increase but the mid range torque and throttle response transforms the bike from very good to superb.
    Plus now the handling is rock steady and gives you lots more confidence.

I know
    Best thread you ever started

Don't waste too much time with this, unless you're into videos of motorbike crashes. Just go straight to 8.08m

thats when the only benefit of a brown coloured seat comes in handy :)

Master
    I badly want this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-B...4XdG:rk:9:pf:0

Have fun tomorrow Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I badly want this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-B...4XdG:rk:9:pf:0

Have fun tomorrow Tony
    That’s lovely, Simon.

I actually picked up the Triple this afternoon, but by the time I left the dealership it was about 5.30 and peak rush hour. I had to filter for about two miles to get to the motorway, and with people lane hopping constantly (and it was completely dark by then too) it was something of a baptism by fire.

Anyway, I’m absolutely in love with it, and will take some photos and write a proper post about it tomorrow.

Craftsman
    That’s lovely, Simon.

I actually picked up the Triple this afternoon, but by the time I left the dealership it was about 5.30 and peak rush hour. I had to filter for about two miles to get to the motorway, and with people lane hopping constantly (and it was completely dark by then too) it was something of a baptism by fire.

Anyway, I’m absolutely in love with it, and will take some photos and write a proper post about it tomorrow.
    Sounds very dangerous, well done.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Sounds very dangerous, well done.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    It was a bit testing, but I didn't take any liberties. Anyway, just waiting for the frost to thaw and I'll take it out fo some fun (and take a few photos )

Anyone else at MCN Live today?

Don't waste too much time with this, unless you're into videos of motorbike crashes. Just go straight to 8.08m

Been there, done that.
    French alps, me leading, about 6 of us ended up on the front drive of a rather cool chalet.
    Owner was raking up leaves on his lawn at the time.
    Glanced to look up at us...shook his head...and carried on raking.

Great thread this, didn't realise there was such a decent little biking community here on TZ, I'm usually in Sales Corner hoovering stuff up, not the expensive acquire and flip stuff, just watches I like, never sold a watch on ....

As for bikes, I'm a bit of a Ducati fanboy and love a trackday or two ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Anyone else at MCN Live today?
    Afraid not, I was there on Tuesday. There's some lovely machinery on display!

I bought myself a Bell "Custom 500 stripes" open face helmet in pearl white along with a clear bubble visor along with a nice bit of bike show discount

Master
    Being short of leg, and with a severe lack of desire to go sideways into a hedge, I tend to stick with smaller capacity / height bikes. I really loved the look of the CBR1100 "neo-cafe" that was released a little while ago. I see that Honda have released a 650 version that's very tempting to go have a test ride on.

Would have to get shot of the stock cans though, i had a 2014 CBR650F and it sounded a bit pants. I also hated the riding position.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...2019-unveiled/

Okay, a bit of an update for this week, then...

I popped up to Motorcycles Live at the NEC on Tuesday, with Howard from these parts and another friend of his. I was interested to learn whether there would be anything there that might make me think there was a better bike for me than the Street Triple. There were certainly some amazing bikes, but nothing that made me question my decision to stick with Triumph. Came away with a discounted Abba stand too!

Late in the day I got a call to say that my bike would be ready to collect the next day (Wednesday), which was a day earlier than we'd planned. It transpired that I didn't actually drive it away from the dealership until about 5.30, as they were having problems seeing the bank transfer that I'd made the previous evening. That meant an immediate two miles of filtering in very hairy traffic as a first ride, but in any event I got it home safely and have put some miles on it today. Tomorrow morning I'll be riding out to Chesham, where it'll get an ACF-50 treatment.

First thoughts? Well, it's definitely a more aggressive riding position than the Twin, but I'm already getting used to it and I'm not feeling any strain at all on my wrists. I'd also say that it's much more unforgiving, in that if you get anything wrong (particularly with the throttle) you certainly know about it. It's probably a good thing that I'm limited to 5000 rpm for the first 300 miles, and then 6000 rpm for the next 300. It produces peak torque somewhat higher than that, so by the time i get to test that I'll be properly used to the handling.

Anyway, I love the bike, and whilst giving up the retro loveliness of the Twin caused a pang or two, I'm certain that it would have happened sooner or later, and sooner was a whole lot cheaper. And I LOVE the Triple.

Some quick and dirties from my iPhone...

There are a few upgrades/extras that I'm thinking about now, including a Yoshimura exhaust (they sound fantastic, and the baffle pops out very easily). However, for now I had the following bits fitted before I picked it up:

Flyscreen

Frame protectors

Heated grips

Paddock stand bobbins (now somewhat redundant, having bought an Abba stand!)

And a tail tidy (which I had shortened a bit, and to which I've fitted a small show plate)

Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd November 2018 at 17:07.

very nice bike, ive not seen those type of frame sliders before- they suit the bike well .
    take it easy on the new tyres for a few hundred miles
    when you get the chance practice your countersteering , the short wheelbase street and speed triples are great for this -most of my cornering is done using countersteering these days .
    have fun and be safe.

very nice bike, ive not seen those type of frame sliders before- they suit the bike well .
    take it easy on the new tyres for a few hundred miles
    when you get the chance practice your countersteering , the short wheelbase street and speed triples are great for this -most of my cornering is done using countersteering these days .
    have fun and be safe.
    Yes, they work really well, don’t they? Thanks re the tyres - I’m being very careful for now, although I’ve already noted the magnificent steering capabilities!

Master
    Congrats. I like the bike a lot - although it is a hell of a change from the ST.

Take it easy.

Love it - looks awesome. Safe riding!

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Congrats. I like the bike a lot - although it is a hell of a change from the ST.

Take it easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Love it - looks awesome. Safe riding!
    Thanks, both. Yes, couldn't be more different to the Street Twin, really

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paddock stand bobbins (now somewhat redundant, having bought an Abba stand!)

Leave them on they offer some protection and if you get a puncture [say] not everyone one has an ABBA stand.
    Mines used all the time but I also have R and G bobbins as well.

Wring its neck Tony!