closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 357 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    ACF-50 - magical stuff
    Get you're arse over to The Bike Shed on Friday!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good chance of getting pulled with that, I'd have thought. Pre-76 only, isn't it?
    Can’t remember the last time I saw any traffpol around here... Got a yellow one to put on if I need to..

Question please. What does the plate cover? Is it the chassis’ or the engine’s number?
    To be clear, what part of the bike would need to be old to make that plate legal?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Question please. What does the plate cover? Is it the chassis’ or the engine’s number?
    To be clear, what part of the bike would need to be old to make that plate legal?
    Chassis..👍🇬🇧

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Whatever is on the registration document, the V5. Most likely the frame/chassis number.

It’s pre-73 in the original spirit of the legislation for black and silver plates. That changed a couple of years ago to allow cars registered after that date and 40+ years old to display them. To my mind they only look good on pre-73 cars as they would only have been displayed contemporaneously on them.

Each to their own though.

Good chance of getting pulled with that, I'd have thought. Pre-78 only, isn't it?
    Yup.
    Bike needs to be manufactured/registered before Jan 1st 1975 to lawfully display old style (black white/silver) plate.
    Potential £1000 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yup.
    Bike needs to be manufactured/registered before Jan 1st 1975 to lawfully display old style (black white/silver) plate.
    Potential £1000 fine.
    No, that’s not correct.

See p.11:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...tes-inf104.pdf

Well, I've just had a lovely ride out to Chesham in Buckinghamshire, where the AYB chap did an absolutely fantastic job of applying some ACF-50 for me (using the proper pressurised spray gun, and including a clean prior to application). Very happy I had it done instead of making a complete mess myself!

As an aside, I did my first motorway miles today. Save that I'm still taking it easy as I'm running the bike in (yes, I know there's another school of thought on this) it's very comfortable at motorway speeds; some very slight buffeting once I hit 70mph, but I think I'm going to buy a Dart Marlin screen for it in place of the little flyscreen that's fitted at the moment, which should sort that out. All in all, another tick in the box, though.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    No, that’s not correct.

See p.11:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...tes-inf104.pdf
    Ahhh yes, thanks for that.

Since April 2018 vehicles manufactured before 1 January
    1978 can display the older style plates. You must:

have applied to DVLA

be registered within the
    ‘historic vehicles' tax class.

Wonder what the definition of 'historic vehicles' means exactly?

Any vehicle 40 years old or over that isn't used commercially. The DVLA definition is here on document INF34.

Theory passed today. 49 and 64. I'll take that.

Mod 1 training starts a week on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Well done - a pass is a pass,

You’ll love the training :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Well done next step.......

Craftsman
    Well done - a pass is a pass,

You’ll love the training :)
    It is indeed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Well, I've just registered for my first organised ride with the London Motorcycle Riders Club - most of them seem to start too far from me to be practicable, but the first ride of 2019 (5th January) is from South Mimms to Willington in Bedfordshire. About 100 miles all in, and very organised with a ride leader, tailgunner and cornermen.

As a matter of interest, is anyone else here a member?

Master
    Well, I've just registered for my first organised ride with the London Motorcycle Riders Club - most of them seem to start too far from me to be practicable, but the first ride of 2019 (5th January) is from South Mimms to Willington in Bedfordshire. About 100 miles all in, and very organised with a ride leader, tailgunner and cornermen.

As a matter of interest, is anyone else here a member?
    Riding in January ?? Rather you than me....

Never been on a big organised ride. They don't really appeal.

Am I missing out?

I had two very different rides this weekend - both in lovely autumn sunshine through some lovely countryside - great weather for the time of year.

Saturday morning was with my eldest lad on his GSXR 750. We had to go later than usual, but the traffic was not too bad & as normal "we made progress".

Today I went with a work colleague who passed his test about 18 months ago and wanted some feedback on his riding. I made it very clear that he was to go at his own pace and not be at all pressured to go faster than usual just because he was with me. It was certainly much slower but still enjoyable. We had a coffee afterwards & I was able to give him quite a bit of advice, mainly on road positioning and using more of the road, which he was very appreciative of.
    Last edited by andy tims; 21st October 2018 at 16:19.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Riding in January ?? Rather you than me....
    November too now!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Never been on a big organised ride. They don't really appeal.

Am I missing out?
    Probably not, but I’ll let you know!

Yet more glorious biking weather this weekend, although the wife prefers her old MGBGT to going pillion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great day out on the bike today with some nice weather :)

re: group rides, there are good and bad depending on the crowd you are with , personally im not too keen on them as im always expecting to get rear ended by some over enthusiastic noobie rider :) , make sure you ride offset and keep your eyes peeled -riding in groups of bikes needs more concentration than normal road riding.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

re: group rides, there are good and bad depending on the crowd you are with , personally im not too keen on them as im always expecting to get rear ended by some over enthusiastic noobie rider :) , make sure you ride offset and keep your eyes peeled -riding in groups of bikes needs more concentration than normal road riding.
    Yeah, those bloody noobs are a menace

As you say, good and bad.

The best groups I've ridden with have worked with a simple "unless it's straight on at a junction, wait until the rider behind you knows which way you've gone". It allows everyone to ride at their own pace and noone need feel pressured. The group can concertina without problems.

The front/rear/junction approach typically needs everyone apart from the junction riders to ride quite slowly and it becomes more of a procession than a ride out, people get frustrated etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

The best groups I've ridden with have worked with a simple "unless it's straight on at a junction, wait until the rider behind you knows which way you've gone". It allows everyone to ride at their own pace and noone need feel pressured. The group can concertina without problems.

The front/rear/junction approach typically needs everyone apart from the junction riders to ride quite slowly and it becomes more of a procession than a ride out, people get frustrated etc.
    LMRC use a cornerman system which from the videos seems to work quite well, and it means everyone can ride at their own pace. The pace of the first one I’ve booked is “progressive, which means that the lead bike doesn’t hang around; there’s lunch involved too so it may well be fun, and if not I won’t really have lost anything save for 150 miles-worth of petrol and a few hours of my time.

yup i forgot to add, most 'good' groups will have marshalls that talk to everyone before the ride starts and explain road rules for that particular group - if you ever go to a group and this talk does not happen then make your own way wherever they are going- it will be safer :)

*the golden rule is presume everyone else is an idiot
    Last edited by pugster; 21st October 2018 at 19:36.

yup i forgot to add, most 'good' groups will have marshalls that talk to everyone before the ride starts and explain road rules for that particular group - if you ever go to a group and this talk does not happen then make your own way wherever they are going- it will be safer :)
    It seems that if you miss the briefing you’re off the ride, and you’re also booted if you act like a twat. No stoppies then

It seems that if you miss the briefing you’re off the ride, and you’re also booted if you act like a twat. No stoppies then
    sounds like a decent group , in the past ive been on meets where you have people not waiting for other riders and racing each other, undertaking/overtaking and everything in between and once saw someone on a fireblade eating a pork pie at around 100 mph .

sounds like a decent group , in the past ive been on meets where you have people not waiting for other riders and racing each other, undertaking/overtaking and everything in between and once saw someone on a fireblade eating a pork pie at around 100 mph .
    There's no excuse for twattish behaviour, even though a lot of riders don't quite get that and treat every road like their own personal racetrack.

The pie thing is trickier. Whilst reaction times don't change with the bike, the capabilities of the bike do. Riding my BMW 800 at 70 on anything but a still day on a smooth road can take a lot of concentration. At twice that speed, my Hayabusa could feel boring and I could have happily munched my way through a pie on that at 100+

There's no excuse for twattish behaviour, even though a lot of riders don't quite get that and treat every road like their own personal racetrack.
    I think the main problem is not intentional twattish behaviour (although there can be more than a bit of that), it's more that any group of vehicles that are trying to stay together tends to act like an accordion. The guy at the front might be doing 50 but the guy at the back has to do 100 to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I think the main problem is not intentional twattish behaviour (although there can be more than a bit of that), it's more that any group of vehicles that are trying to stay together tends to act like an accordion. The guy at the front might be doing 50 but the guy at the back has to do 100 to keep up.
    Which is why the slower less experienced riders need to go at the front and the fast lot at the back, but it's often tricky to persuade either group that's where they ought to be.

The fast ones don't want to be held up by the slow ones and the slow ones don't want to feel pressured to go fast by those behind them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^ I picked up a substantial speeding fine for just this. Its especially prudent if you dont know where the the ride will end up / meet up. If you mis lights / junctions there is a real temptation to press on, only to be met by the phrase “ oh they always have speed traps there” when you catch them up.

Tony find some friends or riders that ride at your pace , if they are too quick , drop em! It will not end well.

Come next year book yourself on an advanced rider course, then you will truly be a riding god🏍

Steve

For a reasonable sized group of mixed abilities the drop off system, if used properly, works perfectly well and relieves the temptation/pressure to keep up through fear of losing touch with the group (and possibly getting lost).

edit - the tail end charlie may need to have a lot of patience, as well as a good understanding of the route being taken.
    Last edited by Stanford; 21st October 2018 at 21:32.

... and racing each other, undertaking/overtaking and everything in between and once saw someone on a fireblade eating a pork pie at around 100 mph .
    Eating a pork pie at 100mph?
    Respec!!
    I now have another addition to my bucket list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    For a reasonable sized group of mixed abilities the drop off system, if used properly, works perfectly well and relieves the temptation/pressure to keep up through fear of losing touch with the group (and possibly getting lost).

edit - the tail end charlie may need to have a lot of patience, as well as a good understanding of the route being taken.
    Most of my riding hours as a learner were done on VMCC group rides using this system. Simple to follow, nobody every got lost, no accordion effect.

I feel I gained a lot from riding with such experienced riders.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Joking apart, take your time when riding with unfamiliar groups.
    You don't know the other guys skillset or attitude, and it's easy to get caught out off guard.
    I've been riding now for over 40 years, and there's those that I'm really comfortable with.
    Happy to have them inches off my rear tyre if necessary.
    Then there are others, the accident waiting to happen types, I wouldn't want anywhere near.
    Always choose your riding buddies with care.
    Suggest small groups (2 or 3) bike to begin with.
    Riding should be simple fun, not an expedition.
    Look for like minded individuals, not like biked individuals.
    Last edited by Tifa; 22nd October 2018 at 00:47.

All advice noted, thank you.

Popping over to On Yer Bike in Aylesbury should anyone fancy meeting there today. Big sale in the shop and lots of bikes to swing a leg over

You don't know the other guys skillset or attitude, and it's easy to get caught out off guard.
    I've been riding now for over 40 years, and there's those that I'm really comfortable with.
    Then there are others, the accident waiting to happen types, I wouldn't want anywhere near.

Exactly that! I’ve been on a few ‘unfamiliar’ runs, and the only positive I have ever taken from them - is meeting ‘like-minded’ riders - to go on occasional days out, out with the ‘group’.

Good advice. Whenever I'm getting to know a new group i've always chosen to ride last so I can clearly see how the others ride together (or not!).

Ducati Scrambler...

Hi Tony,

can't believe I've just come across this thread! Loving the Triumph.....I've been looking at those myself too. After 5 years of Vespa riding and two unfortunate incidents with the current crop of 'moped gangs' in the last year I've decided to turn a negative into a positive and rejoin the world of biking. So I picked this up yesterday...

Absolutely loving it! Already had people stopping me to ask what it is or say how great they think it is.....never had that with a bike before.

I've not seen you around St Albans since we met up in the Fighting Cocks far too long ago (Damasko related) but I'll keep my eyes peeled for that gorgeous bike of yours.....though chances are you'll see (or hear) me first with all that orange.

Mark
    Last edited by skmark; 22nd October 2018 at 16:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hi Tony,

can't believe I've just come across this thread! Loving the Triumph.....I've been looking at those myself too. After 5 years of Vespa riding and two unfortunate incidents with the current crop of 'moped gangs' in the last year I've decided to turn a negative into a positive and rejoin the world of biking. So I picked this up yesterday...

Absolutely loving it! Already had people stopping me to ask what it is or say how great they think it is.....never had that with a bike before.

I've not seen you around St Albans since we met up in the Fighting Cocks far too long ago (Damasko related) but I'll keep my eyes peeled for that gorgeous bike of yours.....though chances are you'll see (or hear) me first with all that orange.

Mark
    Nice bike. Seriously needs a tail tidy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hi Tony,

Mark
    Great stuff, Mark - that looks lovely! What happened with the moped scrotes, though?

Drop me a PM if you fancy a bimble one day

Hi Tony,

<snip the pic>
    That looks lovely - I rather like the Ducati Scrambler, but feel it's a little pricey for such a simple bike.

Why have you bandaged the exhaust?

That looks lovely - I rather like the Ducati Scrambler, but feel it's a little pricey for such a simple bike.

Why have you bandaged the exhaust?
    Because in the past almost every race bike had a wrapped exhaust which helped a race bike which was jetted lean and only had to last a race. Race bike now use ceramic coatings for heat management so it is a retro look thing I think ?

Personally I wouldn't want to risk overheating the headers but in the past I tuned my LCs to death so I'm probably just old now.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want to risk overheating the headers but in the past I tuned my LCs to death so I'm probably just old now.
    That's just reminded me of how gorgeous my barrels were when i got them back from Stan Stephens...

Great stuff, Mark - that looks lovely! What happened with the moped scrotes, though?

Drop me a PM if you fancy a bimble one day
    Hi Tony,

one scooter stolen from St Albans station just before Christmas last year then about a month ago I was followed home from the station by two scrotes on a moped wearing balaclavas intent on mugging me for my bike (the replacement). I managed to escape from them but the police thought I'd been lucky noticing that I was being followed and that they were most likely armed. Comes to something when you can't just own nice things for the fear of someone wanting to steal them from you.

Back to the bike though.....tail tidy, totally agree but give me a chance it's only day 2 😄. Though I am concerned about betting my back wet if I go too short.

The exhaust wrap.....jury out on that one. I'm the second owner (it wasn't new) and love the other mods, but not sure about this one. Will it remove easily?

Hi Tony,

one scooter stolen from St Albans station just before Christmas last year then about a month ago I was followed home from the station by two scrotes on a moped wearing balaclavas intent on mugging me for my bike (the replacement). I managed to escape from them but the police thought I'd been lucky noticing that I was being followed and that they were most likely armed. Comes to something when you can't just own nice things for the fear of someone wanting to steal them from you.

Back to the bike though.....tail tidy, totally agree but give me a chance it's only day 2 . Though I am concerned about betting my back wet if I go too short.

The exhaust wrap.....jury out on that one. I'm the second owner (it wasn't new) and love the other mods, but not sure about this one. Will it remove easily?
    Bloody hell - that’s bad luck. Worrying, too, being in our neck of the woods.

Anyway, in other news I had a play on one of these today - the Monster. I can’t believe how perfect it felt, and had I tried it earlier I think I’d probably have bought one.

Last edited by learningtofly; 24th October 2018 at 01:40.

I can’t believe how perfect it felt, and had I tried it earlier I think I’d probably have bought one.
    Hahahahahaaa.....been there, done that!

And it's exactly why you should never start test riding stuff until you're ready to sell/swap.
    There will ALWAYS be a bike that performs/feels better than your existing ride.
    Once experienced, you'll get that nagging dissatisfaction with your own perfectly good bike if you're not careful.
    STAY OFF other bikes unless you're prepared to pay (literally) the consequences.
    Eventually, it WILL spoil what you've got.
    Bit like wife swapping I'd imagine.

Hahahahahaaa.....been there, done that!

And it's exactly why you should never start test riding stuff until you're ready to sell/swap.
    There will ALWAYS be a bike that performs/feels better than your existing ride.
    Once experienced, you'll get that nagging dissatisfaction with your own perfectly good bike if you're not careful.
    STAY OFF other bikes unless you're prepared to pay (literally) the consequences.
    Eventually, it WILL spoil what you've got.
    Bit like wife swapping I'd imagine.
    It’s far, far worse than watches

That's just reminded me of how gorgeous my barrels were when i got them back from Stan Stephens...
    We kept Pete Lindemere in business for a few years and then Bob Farnham. We ended up with multiple sets of barrels so one could be used while the other was being fixed and even a spare crank at the worst point !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app