closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 92 of 354 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,600 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Pics of my bikes over the years
    Always thought the K7 GSXR was the best looking of the bunch, especially in that colour scheme with the smaller OEM exhaust.

Interesting to see someone go from the S1000R to the S1000RR too. Usually it's the other way round but I guess you're either a sports bike person or you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Great post, Andy. I don’t know if you remember, but I sold you an Explorer II when you were laid up in hospital. You posted a photo of yourself opening it

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    That Benetton colours CBR600, I had the same!

I loved that bike until some scrote nicked it :(

I used to get the pi55 taken out of me because of the pink colour, but it was light hearted because they all knew it a serious bit of kit (at the time).

Funnily enough the insurance company paid out more than I bought it for and I replaced it with a brand new '96 ZX6R that I owned until 2007 when I bought the Street Triple that I own to this day.
    Great bikes and I loved the colours, takes you back doesn’t it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Always thought the K7 GSXR was the best looking of the bunch, especially in that colour scheme with the smaller OEM exhaust.

Interesting to see someone go from the S1000R to the S1000RR too. Usually it's the other way round but I guess you're either a sports bike person or you're not.
    Looking at Andy’s bike CV sportsbikes are in his DNA ;), not even a dalliance with a big tourer, RT, FJ, etc. No he has a definite preference for head down arse up bikes and.............a very tasty collection too. Thanks for posting Andy.

Thinking about it , how about posting your bike purchases in and out over just the LAST 3 years.

1957 Rabeneick Moped Out
    1961 BSA SS80 single. Out
    1982 RD200DX twin. Out
    1992 Kr1s 250 Kawasaki Out
    2008 Bmw F650GS. Out
    2010 Vespa 125 ie Out
    2010 Suzuki Van Van 125. Out

In
    1977 Kawasaki KH250
    1990 Kawasaki kr1s
    2016 Bmw F700GS
    2019 Honda Monkey 125.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 31st March 2020 at 09:29.

Need to go to the shops today to get a few essentials, so I'll be popping out on two wheels with a backpack; in fact, I have a lovely route to the local Tesco Express so I'll go for that rather than the larger supermarket round the corner. Can't bloody wait, to be honest - I'm getting severe withdrawal symptoms.

First the GSF650N otherwise known as the Suzuki Bandit. First big bike and had it for about five years.

Bought a Honda PCX125 moped to go alongside to try and save money on fuel as the daily commute to London was getting a big juicy. Sadly what you save in petrol you lose in road presence. Safe to say I'll never touch a moped again.

In came the GS which was the best deal I could find after weeks of AutoTrader searching. Sadly I realised after three weeks that a good deal made me feel like a policeman and no one moved out of my way anymore.

Lastly onto the R1200 GSA Triple Black. I've had two of these back to back as I wanted the TFT display. No point sharing two pictures but safe to say this bike is overkill and I love it. Full Akra Ti system so lots of noise and with the led lights and spots lots of road presence, too. Also great in the summer with a mini screen on the front.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 31st March 2020 at 09:49.

Last three years is easy for me

I don't miss the Street Twin at all as it was a bit underpowered. I wish I still had the Striple too, though - perfect bike, that one.

Going back a good few years, though, it all started with these...

Last edited by learningtofly; 31st March 2020 at 09:58.

In and out over the last 3 years is east:

Out: nothing. Still have R1200R LC, R80RT, R65RS

In: Triumph Street Scrambler

Nice Dream Tony, not seen one of those in years

Master
    Last 3 years is easy for me too...

Started with the F750GS and added the Z900RS after about 6 months...

Traded them both for the R1250GS...

And then added the CB1100EX a couple of months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    ... Nice Dream Tony, not seen one of those in years
    Yes, lovely bikes. Seemed huge at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, lovely bikes. Seemed huge at the time!
    I know what you mean - I went from a 175 Bantam to a 250 Superdream when i was 17 and the step up was enormous!

I know what you mean - I went from a 175 Bantam to a 250 Superdream when i was 17 and the step up was enormous!
    I really, really wanted a Superdream. Most of my mates were on British bikes, though (mostly Triumphs). Am I imagining that they were 1 up/4 down back then?

Master
    At 170 kgs a Super Dream is a lightweight by todays 200 kgs standards. But I remember how big they felt. I had its smaller brother the CB175

Master

More bike related stuff

Last edited by downer; 31st March 2020 at 21:18.

I really, really wanted a Superdream. Most of my mates were on British bikes, though (mostly Triumphs). Am I imagining that they were 1 up/4 down back then?
    1 up 4 down was the racing pattern (and still is I presume)

The key difference was that the Brit stuff had a right foot gear change and left foot rear brake.

More bike related stuff

1 up 4 down was the racing pattern (and still is I presume)

The key difference was that the Brit stuff had a right foot gear change and left foot rear brake.
    Oh yes, that was it (thanks)!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    At 170 kgs a Super Dream is a lightweight by todays 200 kgs standards. But I remember how big they felt. I had its smaller brother the CB175
    ...but a fair step up from a 90kg Bantam for a scrawny 17 year old!

And to think I was looking to buy a 320kg BMW a couple of weeks ago!

Oh yes, that was it (thanks)!
    Owning both at the same time I can still remember the feeling of stamping on the rear brake when I thought I was knocking it down a gear for a corner, if the pain of trying to force a brake pedal upwards accelerating hard away from the lights...

Blog Entries
    Ha ha, I went from a Triumph Tiger Cub (all my mates had british bikes to start with) to a Honda 250k4. It too seemed huge, and the electrics seemed wonderful at the time. The 12v headlight in particular was so much brighter than the Joe Lucas prince of darkness 6v one one the Cub!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Last three bikes:

R1250GS HP

MV Agusta Brutale Corsa

Castrol Honda SP2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

More bike related stuff

Out:
    Speed Triple (The Beast)
    Best engine ever put into a motorcycle. Loved this bike, but I’ve realised I prefer something lighter.

Out:
    DRZ commuter/BMX. Sold to Kerry, and what a nightmare that was (sorry Kerry!)

In:
    CCM Spitfire. Thumping hand-built British single, made with loving care and almost sufficient attention by pipe smoking men in flat caps. Proper.

Master

Some Old some current

British Bike romance for me lasted 3 years , gorgeous to look at reliable as the weather. Broke down numerous times and bits like the rear light reflector / case just vibrated off and made a bid for freedom. Also do you like the bokeh shot Tony.

Oh forgot to say Right hand gear change so after nearly 45 years of Jap bikes any approach to a roundabout or junction was like a fit of St Vitus dance !!

One of the few bikes I would just go into the garage and kick over just to hear to 1960's timbre and bark through what is nearly an open exhaust as standard.

Then just mixing it with my racing mates , bit of knee down action and BSI approved haircut

RD 200 only did 25 miles on it in 2 years bought at the right price as an ISA for my lad. Did OK on it too

lastly the sensible one , on day one collection at Williams BMW in Manchester , top guys to deal with
    Last edited by higham5; 31st March 2020 at 13:08.

Don't know how to post pics but my last 3 years have been

1. MSX 125
    2. Harley 883
    3. KTM 790

Loving the ktm at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Don't know how to post pics but my last 3 years have been

1. MSX 125
    2. Harley 883
    3. KTM 790

Loving the ktm at the moment
    Not surprised after the 883 :-)

BTW, I struggle with photos too - easy from the phone using Tapatalk, but really haven't mastered it on the PC! If anyone can point me/us in the direction of a tutorial that would be great.

lastly the sensible one , on day one collection at Williams BMW in Manchester , top guys to deal with
    You’re right, I bought my GSA from Williams. Great service

Are you still in Higham?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    You’re right, I bought my GSA from Williams. Great service

Are you still in Higham?

No banished to North Wales now. Moved back closer to our families. So lots of new roads to try in .......Sept / Oct maybe.

Steve

Master
    sold 9 years ago

Blog Entries
    In and out over the last 3 years..............

1 out, '07 Harley Street Bob 1584cc.

Everything bad they say about these is right. And everything good they say about them is right too. Owned a lot of bikes over the years from a Tiger Cub to Jap fours and never smiled so much as when I was riding it. Owned it 7 years and sold it for £500 less than I paid for it!

1 in...2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. 96 BHP less than the Italian stallion I was thinking of buying, but one test ride convinced me it had enough to get back to more simple times. Enjoying doing a few mods to it and have that fun feeling back about bikes that I had when I had a Tiger Cub all those years ago. Now where did I put those white socks and scarf!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    1 in...2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. 96 BHP less than the Italian stallion I was thinking of buying, but one test ride convinced me it had enough to get back to more simple times. Enjoying doing a few mods to it and have that fun feeling back about bikes that I had when I had a Tiger Cub all those years ago. Now where did I put those white socks and scarf!
    Exactly how I felt when I tried the Triumph Street Scrambler - not fast, not fancy but it reminded me of the fun I had when I had my Bantam. I can't wait to ride it again.

Craftsman
    The last of my sports bikes, Honda CBR1000RR Repsol :

Which made way for my first BMW R1200GS Adventure :

Which then made way for my second R1200GS Adventure, this time the anniversary model :

Then my third, this time an LC, which started out like this :

And ended up like this :

But it's just made way for my latest GS Adventure, the new 1250. Just got the miles done for its first service and then everything gets locked down :

All booked on for the Barcelona MotoGP setting off on 1st June, don't think that's going to be happening now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    The last of my sports bikes, Honda CBR1000RR Repsol :

Which made way for my first BMW R1200GS Adventure :

Which then made way for my second R1200GS Adventure, this time the anniversary model :

Then my third, this time an LC, which started out like this :

And ended up like this :

But it's just made way for my latest GS Adventure, the new 1250. Just got the miles done for its first service and then everything gets locked down :

All booked on for the Barcelona MotoGP setting off on 1st June, don't think that's going to be happening now

Who did the Motorsport colours, it wasn't Chris Tunbridge was it ?

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 31st March 2020 at 22:05.

Master
    I can't contribute to the three years thing as I haven't bought or sold anything in the last three years but here's my Street Triple a few weeks after I bought it in 2007:

There's also this languishing the garage that I'm ashamed to say I haven't touched for a few years now, although I'm starting to feel motivated to get back on it:

It started life in my possession as this:

What was I thinking!

Craftsman
    Who did the Motorsport colours, it wasn't Chris Tunbridge was it ?

Steve
    It was Brendan from Artataxe Paintwork, did an ace job

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    It was Brendan from Artataxe Paintwork, did an ace job
    Yes it is a lovely job, that motorsport colour way looks brilliant on GS’s and Rs’s.

Steve

Just received this from Lind Motorrad... very tempting indeed, I must say, and I can see a few of you lot going for it (theres a link to further info at the end of the post).

BMW R 1250 GS XDRIVE HYBRID

The BMW GS models powered by the boxer flat-twin engine have been the perfect companion for anyone wishing to explore the furthest reaches of our planet for over three decades. Be it the Himalayan mountains, the Saharan desert or the polar circles – the “GS” has always provided motorcycle adventurers with the ideal combination of touring and long-distance travel qualities, dynamic performance, endurance and off-road capability.

The unique all-wheel drive of the front wheel of the new R 1250 GS xDrive Hybrid ensures even better traction on slippery road conditions, deep sand or mud. This technological feat was achieved using the system developed by BMW Automobiles. All-wheel drive can be operated automatically or manually by the rider via the 2WD (Two-Wheel Drive) switch located on the left handlebar operation unit. It activates the wheel-hub e-Drive system which functions both as electric motor and generator. With the additional output of 33 kW (45 hp) and overall 125 kW (170 hp) system performance, the innovative all-wheel drive system opens up a whole new dimension of performance and offroad-suitability.

A new generation of batteries, derived from BMW i battery technology, stores the energy recuperated during braking. The e-Drive system on the front wheel is supplied with this energy and the R 1200 GS xDrive Hybrid rider can use it for accelerating in addition to the power delivered by the combustion engine. Thanks to sophisticated management technology the power is always supplied to the front wheel in the right amount and appropriately depending on the riding situation. This means that the front wheel only receives the amount of power as the traction conditions permit – for example in wet or deep snow conditions. The rider can use a number of riding modes to customise how the all-wheel drive system operates and adjust the hybrid system’s recuperation strategies to suit his needs. Everything can be controlled using the innovative LCD display.

This bike will get you anywhere, on any surface - even to the North pole.

In the past months the test version of the new R 1250 GS xDrive Hybrid covered countless thousands of kilometres in the toughest of riding conditions. The most extreme demands were placed on the bike last winter, when Reiner Scherbeck, the head of winter testing at BMW Motorrad, rode it to the North Cape on a first stage and from there across the frozen Barents Sea to the North Pole and back again.

Scherbeck: “We were absolutely amazed how problem-free and reliable the all-wheel drive worked even at minus 56 degrees. Thanks to our functional BMW rider equipment, the cold temperatures were no problem for the rider, too. Probably the most thrilling conclusion we can draw from our test runs, is that for the first time we can offer a motorcycle that makes riding a motorcycle a pleasure at snow depths of 1.25 metres in high winter with the new R 1200 GS xDrive Hybrid. Special front section components have also been developed for this purpose as well as high-speed suitable M+S all-season tyres. This was also necessary in order to meet the necessary requirements for high-speed winter operation.”

Launching at BMW Motorrad Centres across the UK later this year. Click below to find out more and register your interest.

FIND OUT MORE
    Last edited by learningtofly; 1st April 2020 at 08:34.

Craftsman
    Just received this from Lind Motorrad... very tempting indeed, I must say, and I can see a few of you lot going for it.
    Mmmm, what date is it today ?

Master
    Wonder how many calls they’ll get?

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Wonder how many calls they’ll get?
    They did one for a four-wheeled Harley too

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    There's also this languishing the garage that I'm ashamed to say I haven't touched for a few years now, although I'm starting to feel motivated to get back on it:
    You absolutely should start working on it ASAP!
    You`ll be glad you did when its finished, there`s been nothing like it available for years, it`d be a rare and thrilling motorcycling experience these days..

Less than 3 years but a few changes since passing my test in Jan 19...

First up was my Street Twin. Great first bike and loved the looks and sound but as Tony mentioned above it was low on power, and to me felt quite cramped and was not great 2 up so moved it on after just 6 months and 5K miles. Luckily I got a great deal on it pre reg so didn't lose too much...

In next came a bit of an impulse purchase of my Tiger 800. Technically a fantastic bike that should have ticked all the boxes. The reality was it didn't make me turn around and look at it when walking away and being a touch short in leg I did find it quite top heavy and the triple quite revy. 6 months and about 5K miles again before realising it was not the bike for me. It was a bit too good if that makes any kind of sense?!

And now the one I have that I should have got after the Street Twin instead of the Tiger. My T120 Black. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Less than 3 years but a few changes since passing my test in Jan 19...

First up was my Street Twin. Great first bike and loved the looks and sound but as Tony mentioned above it was low on power, and to me felt quite cramped and was not great 2 up so moved it on after just 6 months and 5K miles. Luckily I got a great deal on it pre reg so didn't lose too much...

In next came a bit of an impulse purchase of my Tiger 800. Technically a fantastic bike that should have ticked all the boxes. The reality was it didn't make me turn around and look at it when walking away and being a touch short in leg I did find it quite top heavy and the triple quite revy. 6 months and about 5K miles again before realising it was not the bike for me. It was a bit too good if that makes any kind of sense?!

And now the one I have that I should have got after the Street Twin instead of the Tiger. My T120 Black. Love it.

We're a right pair!

My recent bike ownership:

Triumph Tiger (traded in for the Bonneville)

Bonneville Black (which I still have)

Had to scratch the Ducati itch so started with the Multistrada (traded in for the KTM after a couple of years and 20k mikes)

Another Ducati itch (which I still have)

KTM 1290 Super Duke R (which I still have)
    Last edited by Stanford; 1st April 2020 at 12:14.

We're a right pair!
    Can't argue with that mate. Fun though!

I did DAS two years ago and wanted a BMW to go with my two BMW cars, so this was my first bike:

Still got the R9T but wanted either a classic or a GS to add to the collection, so ended up with something that is both:

1995 R1100GS with 9,000 miles on the clock. I added loads of NOS bits to spec it up to the max including top box, mounting rack, bars to accept original heated grips, the grips and associated wiring etc. etc.

Great post, Andy. I don’t know if you remember, but I sold you an Explorer II when you were laid up in hospital. You posted a photo of yourself opening it
    I remember that yes. My wife brought it up to Derby hospital for me to help cheer me up.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

KTM 1290 Super Duke R (which I still have)
    This is my favourite bike of the many I’ve owned. Absolutely loved it and IMHO the perfect street bike.

What’s that exhaust? I had the full acropovic titanium decat system on mine, it was literally awesome.

Terrible clutch slip in 5th and 6th in the upper rev ranges though which was a well documented issue in the forums...have they sorted that?

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    This is my favourite bike of the many I’ve owned. Absolutely loved it and IMHO the perfect street bike.

What’s that exhaust? I had the full acropovic titanium decat system on mine, it was literally awesome.

Terrible clutch slip in 5th and 6th in the upper rev ranges though which was a well documented issue in the forums...have they sorted that?
    It is a great bike for sedate rides around the curvier A and B roads although it is also comfortable enough to go touring on (but I must admit to fitting a screen for trips involving big motorway miles).
    It’s the stock system apart from an Austin Racing slip on; plenty of ‘character’ considering it hasn’t been de-catted.
    I haven’t experienced any clutch slip although I have seen threads recommending stronger clutch springs on earlier bikes, maybe it’s been sorted?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Stanford; 2nd April 2020 at 10:47.

you would have to be going at a hell of a rate using the upper 5/6th rev ranges :P , most ppl ive spoken to regarding the 1290r dont even bother using 6th gear - nice bikes thou i would not mind one myself.

Clutch slip normally happens at peak torque revs not at the top of the rev range. Had a 9r that was a pain for this.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    you would have to be going at a hell of a rate using the upper 5/6th rev ranges :P , most ppl ive spoken to regarding the 1290r dont even bother using 6th gear - nice bikes thou i would not mind one myself.
    Agreed - I generally only use 6th when on a motorway and there's still enough torque to complete safe overtakes; 5th is otherwise plenty high enough.