closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyber truck

Cyber truck

Total recall for the Cybertruck. The gas pedal cover comes loose (it's neither rivetted or glued), wedges itself under the dash, resulting in a 100% throttle. So 3000 rust buckets from the US are going back to the "dealers". Elon is a genius

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Gas pedal you say, in a Tesla???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Gas pedal you say, in a Tesla???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect

It seems the product is a disaster , yet another failure from Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

Not according to Matt Watson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adZztW0YbJ0

And people are buying them

https://www.motor1.com/news/716771/t...y-numbers/amp/
    Last edited by adrianw; 21st April 2024 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Not according to Matt Watson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adZztW0YbJ0
    So many issues being reported, one guy drove it from the forecourt his windscreen went red and the car died , he had on 3 minutes

If it’s like every other electric car, a prod of the accelerator will make the brakes engage and it will stop?

Their recall fix is a self tapper through the accelerator cover.

Doubtful it’s stainless.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I’d love to see a photo of someone that’s been hit with one of these, by the look of it with flat edges and stainless it’s going to cause serious damage if a body comes in contact with it at any speed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If it’s like every other electric car, a prod of the accelerator will make the brakes engage and it will stop?
    I’ve never heard of that before, I’ll have to find a quiet road and give it a try.

Blog Entries

Must be gutted, and only the second richest man in the world.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

He won't be forever if he keeps making crap products

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’d love to see a photo of someone that’s been hit with one of these, by the look of it with flat edges and stainless it’s going to cause serious damage if a body comes in contact with it at any speed.

Same with almost any SUV or truck. Move the main point of impact up from the legs and you're going to be causing more damage to a human, especially with the weight and potential for it to accelerate much faster than a human can make it stop.
    "A man of little significance"

Chinese are eating his lunch, hence another round of price slashing on his other car models.

To some he can do no wrong, personally I think he's struggling but let's see, the truck looks like a disaster to me

There's a massive change already underway in what cars are and why people buy them. 90% of the Chinese market, where so many EVs are being built, are for the market below £35k, but those buyers want size and technology (and that's what our immediate future looks like as these cars are imported here in massive numbers). The buyers in China are mostly people who'd not have had a car 20 years ago and want to catch up fast. It seems to be the same here, people are perfectly happy to keep getting bigger and bigger cars until we reach gridlock on everything but the biggest roads and only every other car park space is useable. Cybertrucks aren't bought to be used as trucks, they're a statement, an Instagram post, something completely different to what everyone else drives, something oversized and attracting attention. Personally I have no interest in buying one (or any other Tesla) but really like the in your face aspect of the design. You don't buy a big truck or SUV because you want something subtle, so make it crazy instead, and you don't buy a Cybertruck if you want to haul logs. I really laugh at anyone who thinks any SUV or truck is good-looking but in a market where the Tesla is put in the same category as the F150 and Dodge Ram, even the Rivian R1T, I don't see why the Cybertruck comes in for so much criticism. They're all ugly awful things, why is any one any more awful than the others?

You can't even fit a push bike on the cyber truck bed

And tbf 90% of road users are still better off with a hybrid, Toyota still adamant about that

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    There's a massive change already underway in what cars are and why people buy them. 90% of the Chinese market, where so many EVs are being built, are for the market below £35k, but those buyers want size and technology (and that's what our immediate future looks like as these cars are imported here in massive numbers). The buyers in China are mostly people who'd not have had a car 20 years ago and want to catch up fast. It seems to be the same here, people are perfectly happy to keep getting bigger and bigger cars until we reach gridlock on everything but the biggest roads and only every other car park space is useable. Cybertrucks aren't bought to be used as trucks, they're a statement, an Instagram post, something completely different to what everyone else drives, something oversized and attracting attention. Personally I have no interest in buying one (or any other Tesla) but really like the in your face aspect of the design. You don't buy a big truck or SUV because you want something subtle, so make it crazy instead, and you don't buy a Cybertruck if you want to haul logs. I really laugh at anyone who thinks any SUV or truck is good-looking but in a market where the Tesla is put in the same category as the F150 and Dodge Ram, even the Rivian R1T, I don't see why the Cybertruck comes in for so much criticism. They're all ugly awful things, why is any one any more awful than the others?
    I imagine stateside preppers love the Cybertruck it has a rather Logans Run- post zombie apocalypse vibe, the steel and sharp looking edges!...it´d be really fascinating to know if they´ve been bought by Dems or Reps...Didn´t Elno claim the glass would be armoured, bullet proof in the CT so I guess that was a USP over a F150 or other truck, then he rather embarrassingly smashed a window on the display model with a stick iirc, lolz...Ah the madness of billionaire moguls and crowds...

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Passenger; Yesterday at 09:30.

Blog Entries
    You can't even fit a push bike on the cyber truck bed

And tbf 90% of road users are still better off with a hybrid, Toyota still adamant about that

Bit like all the ‘ANIMAL’ etc 4dr pose-ups you see at Wickes wondering how to fit stuff in the back then!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Bit like all the ‘ANIMAL’ etc 4dr pickups you see at Wickes wondering how to fit stuff in the back then!
    Yeah but even those are bigger lol

Master
    I can’t imagine we’ll see many Cybertrucks over here in the UK, they’ll be limited to business promotion tools, YouTubers or car collectors.

Still, 2m pre-orders for the truck apparently, so not sure about it being a failure.

If I was in the market for an electric pickup truck, the Ford F150 Lightning would be my pick. Fortunately, I’m not in that market and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I can’t imagine we’ll see many Cybertrucks over here in the UK, they’ll be limited to business promotion tools, YouTubers or car collectors.

Still, 2m pre-orders for the truck apparently, so not sure about it being a failure.

If I was in the market for an electric pickup truck, the Ford F150 Lightning would be my pick. Fortunately, I’m not in that market and never will be.
    Cybertruck isn't being sold in Europe as the design doesn't comply with basic safety standards in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    The development cost of the cybertruck would have been much better spent on a smaller crossover vehicle for European markets as that’s that the consumer wants at the moment, rather than this vanity project.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    Cybertruck isn't being sold in Europe as the design doesn't comply with basic safety standards in the event of a collision with a pedestrian.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Nor do lots of US market vehicles, but that doesn’t stop people from importing them to the UK.

I expect the number imported will be small, but It’ll be the new Hummer for those people who drive them for whatever reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    The development cost of the cybertruck would have been much better spent on a smaller crossover vehicle for European markets as that’s that the consumer wants at the moment, rather than this vanity project.

Personally, I would agree with that, but seems the planned ‘Model 2’ has been canned as Musk feels it wouldn’t compete with the raft of competitor vehicles coming in that space, and he sees the future as ‘Robo Taxis’ or some such.

Still, u-turns and about faces aren’t uncommon with Musk!

Neither is making products with loads of faults charging loads of money for poor production standards

Master
    Neither is making products with loads of faults charging loads of money for poor production standards

I’m no Tesla/Musk ‘fanboi’, but the (somewhat perversely!) China built M3s like the one my wife owns were a step up build quality wise from the Fremont examples that came before them and gave Tesla the reputational issues that are hard to shake off.

No mass manufacture is immune from quality issues, even Toyota, so perspective is required.

That said, my wife is due to replace hers early next year, and she’s decided it won’t be another Tesla as she doesn’t like the way that the Highlander update has removed the indicator stalk, for one.

But back to the Cybertruck, whilst it isn’t something that I would ever drive, I do admire the push to build something different and disrupt the status quo in a US market that is very traditional and has led other manufacturers to build EV versions of pick-up trucks.

Master
    Yep that has been confirmed. Brake overrides the throttle and you can safely stop the vehicle and put it in park.

That said, my wife is due to replace hers early next year, and she’s decided it won’t be another Tesla as she doesn’t like the way that the Highlander update has removed the indicator stalk, for one.
    Harry Metcalfe mentions this in the review of the facelift model 3 that just went live on his YouTube channel. It looks beyond infuriating to use honestly!

That and the gear stick will stop me from buying another Tesla. I can tolerate with Tesla in exchange for the positives but that is just too far for me.

Don’t follow this advice, I meant a prod of the brakes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve never heard of that before, I’ll have to find a quiet road and give it a try.
    Don’t!! I meant a prod of the brake pedal - mind must have been foggy when I posted that!!!

Don’t!! I meant a prod of the brake pedal - mind must have been foggy when I posted that!!!
    I wish you’d told me earlier, I’ve rear ended three cars this afternoon!

Oh no, now your car will be on fire for 3 weeks - fire so catastrophic it will be visible from space, and take out 3 car parks and a small market town. Oops!

Oh no, now your car will be on fire for 3 weeks - fire so catastrophic it will be visible from space, and take out 3 car parks and a small market town. Oops!
    And they’ll have to dig a quarry the size of Angola to provide vibranium for the new batteries.

If you go back in time, there was another all stainless steel vehicle that proved to be a commercial flop. - history repeating itself?
    Is Elon is trying to go back to the future…

Cyber Truck

Looked at one today in Tesla dealership in International Mall Florida there was a lot of interest I spoke to the sales assistant re problems with the Cyber Truck and he said I should check that the information regarding stacks of faulty ones parked in the factory (it was in the daily mail) was correct I then asked him was there a price cut today and he said yes $2000 sheepishly.

He is just doing his job.

I'm not anti-EV, but I do wonder where we're going with all this.

The focus seems to be on building bigger cars with more performance and tech, which is fine if we all live a lease/PCP utopia where we can just swap to a new car every 3 years, but eventually the 'older' cars will start to develop problems and some poor soul will be left to foot the bill. I can't imagine how much maintenance costs will be to keep all the tech functioning on a modern EV or hybrid. Car manufacturers are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Why didn't manufacturers invest their billions into developing alternative fuels for existing cars? Coryton have developed a plant based alternative fuel for existing engines, reducing emissions by 65%, so it is possible. Maybe that could be improved further with more development/investment, but instead the response from the big players has been 'Nah...look at the shiny, shiny!' Sad times.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post

The focus seems to be on building bigger cars with more performance and tech, which is fine if we all live a lease/PCP utopia where we can just swap to a new car every 3 years, but eventually the 'older' cars will start to develop problems and some poor soul will be left to foot the bill. I can't imagine how much maintenance costs will be to keep all the tech functioning on a modern EV or hybrid. Car manufacturers are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Why didn't manufacturers invest their billions into developing alternative fuels for existing cars? Coryton have developed a plant based alternative fuel for existing engines, reducing emissions by 65%, so it is possible. Maybe that could be improved further with more development/investment, but instead the response from the big players has been 'Nah...look at the shiny, shiny!' Sad times.
    I have a 5 year old hybrid and the battery that runs it is in the back accessible and cheap, unlike an EV, I can't fathom why I need an EV

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    And they’ll have to dig a quarry the size of Angola to provide vibranium for the new batteries.
    This quarry the size of Angola, will need to be in Wakanda, source of vibranium . Doubt the Wakandans will go for it, they're a pretty tough lot, super powerful leader.

The focus seems to be on building bigger cars with more performance and tech,
    I am wondering why there is no family sedan that would't go from 0 to 100 in 3-4 seconds? I don't need high performance sports car, I'd rather have bigger range than faster acceleration.

Master

I bought a Nissan Leaf Mk 1 - one of the very first mass-production electric cars. Still does a reliable 100-120 miles (depending on the weather) after 70k miles, has never had anything go wrong with it and will, I'm sure, carry on beetling around the suburbs for many years to come. It's not a fast car but perfectly good enough for normal driving. It's also really quite a simple car - electric motors are hardly rocket science - and is (other than the mode of propulsion) just as complicated as any other small Nissan of the period. Essentially it's an electric Nissan Juke only without the problems or the maintenance costs. Given that this was Nissan's first attempt at EV power and the technology has moved on massively, the fact that at 70k it's still absolutely rock-solid and still doing much the same range as new (OK, it's probably dropped 10 miles) says to me that the doomsayers are perhaps over-egging it.

I'm definitely not interested in the Tesla 2.5s 0-60 nonsense and my next EV (I'm swapping out the Leaf plus an old diesel for a Mustang Mach-E) is the low-powered 2wd version, which is entirely quick enough. That will be on a lease (salary sacrifice scheme) but that's only because I don't want to pay more tax than I have to. I'd happily have bought a secondhand longer-range EV as my only car though.

For me, EVs have their place in city centres providing the car is small, think BMW i3 at the very biggest. We don't need 2.8-ton EVs that can hit 60 in under 3 seconds in city centres (or for that matter anywhere else), mixing with people or sharing roads with bikes. The sooner these ridiculous things are taxed out of towns and cities the better.

The biggest issue (not I think a lack of charging) at the moment is the fear of the secondhand market. Somewhere north of 90% of new cars are leased, with the price set based on how the market usually reacts. For years it's been pretty safe but the advent of EVs has caused some problems. There was a story in Autocar not so long ago about a journalist's own EV (Cupra Born IIRC) lease coming to an end and it being worth something like £10k less than predicted at the start of the lease, all of which is the lease company's to absorb. Which will start to cause big problems if lease companies increase prices because they struggle to sell used cars at the end of leases. If your £300 per month car suddenly becomes a £400 per month car it takes it into new territory. There was a horror story of BMW quoting £30k to replace an i3's battery, while it sounds like you can get it done independently for £10k. Once it gets down to £3k, say, to do the same thing, and if other EV parts replacement costs are sensible, we'll start to see confidence grow.

The best solution is a small, lightweight car with a small ICE engine, running on biofuel, with a turbocharger or other forced induction and a small, lightweight hybrid system. Unfortunately the money isn't in it for traditional brands, with the likes of Mercedes, BMW and so on presumably going premium and leaving the lower end of the market to the Chinese, who, as I said earlier, are probably going to start flooding the market with cheap large EV SUVs laden with technology. Where the electricity is going to come from is anyone's guess.

Master
    For me, EVs have their place in city centres providing the car is small, think BMW i3 at the very biggest. We don't need 2.8-ton EVs that can hit 60 in under 3 seconds in city centres (or for that matter anywhere else), mixing with people or sharing roads with bikes. The sooner these ridiculous things are taxed out of towns and cities the better.

The biggest issue (not I think a lack of charging) at the moment is the fear of the secondhand market. Somewhere north of 90% of new cars are leased, with the price set based on how the market usually reacts. For years it's been pretty safe but the advent of EVs has caused some problems. There was a story in Autocar not so long ago about a journalist's own EV (Cupra Born IIRC) lease coming to an end and it being worth something like £10k less than predicted at the start of the lease, all of which is the lease company's to absorb. Which will start to cause big problems if lease companies increase prices because they struggle to sell used cars at the end of leases. If your £300 per month car suddenly becomes a £400 per month car it takes it into new territory. There was a horror story of BMW quoting £30k to replace an i3's battery, while it sounds like you can get it done independently for £10k. Once it gets down to £3k, say, to do the same thing, and if other EV parts replacement costs are sensible, we'll start to see confidence grow.

The best solution is a small, lightweight car with a small ICE engine, running on biofuel, with a turbocharger or other forced induction and a small, lightweight hybrid system. Unfortunately the money isn't in it for traditional brands, with the likes of Mercedes, BMW and so on presumably going premium and leaving the lower end of the market to the Chinese, who, as I said earlier, are probably going to start flooding the market with cheap large EV SUVs laden with technology. Where the electricity is going to come from is anyone's guess.
    I3 battery pack is 42kwh, if that size battery is available for 3k im all in, ill use it to store cheap night rate electricity and run my house. I dont see that for a while though. The cost of EV battery replacement is a common scare tactic, the number of ev batterys that require replacement isnt that high though, tends to be under warranty and id guess is way less than the incidence of ice engines that require replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I bought a Nissan Leaf Mk 1 - one of the very first mass-production electric cars. Still does a reliable 100-120 miles (depending on the weather) after 70k miles, has never had anything go wrong with it and will, I'm sure, carry on beetling around the suburbs for many years to come. It's not a fast car but perfectly good enough for normal driving. It's also really quite a simple car - electric motors are hardly rocket science - and is (other than the mode of propulsion) just as complicated as any other small Nissan of the period. Essentially it's an electric Nissan Juke only without the problems or the maintenance costs. Given that this was Nissan's first attempt at EV power and the technology has moved on massively, the fact that at 70k it's still absolutely rock-solid and still doing much the same range as new (OK, it's probably dropped 10 miles) says to me that the doomsayers are perhaps over-egging it.

I'm definitely not interested in the Tesla 2.5s 0-60 nonsense and my next EV (I'm swapping out the Leaf plus an old diesel for a Mustang Mach-E) is the low-powered 2wd version, which is entirely quick enough. That will be on a lease (salary sacrifice scheme) but that's only because I don't want to pay more tax than I have to. I'd happily have bought a secondhand longer-range EV as my only car though.
    Exactly. All EV's should be just like this if the goal was to hit the green targets, but your experience with the car is bad news for Nissan, who I'm assuming, have made practically no profit on the car after the initial sale.

If the EV drivetrain and motor proves to be as reliable as they claim, then the only way for manufacturers to make profit after the initial sale is for the ancillary tech to fail. My comment above wasn't about the batteries specifically, which I agree seems to have been over-egged somewhat, it's about the rest. Modern EV's aren't old enough yet, but a bill of £850 when your door handles don't pop out one morning, or a "rear view mirror" camera fails will be painful for what is effectively non-essential tech.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I3 battery pack is 42kwh, if that size battery is available for 3k im all in, ill use it to store cheap night rate electricity and run my house. I dont see that for a while though. The cost of EV battery replacement is a common scare tactic, the number of ev batterys that require replacement isnt that high though, tends to be under warranty and id guess is way less than the incidence of ice engines that require replacing.
    Sounds like a great idea. If development, technology and recycling proceeds at the rates they need to with all new cars due to be EVs it's quite possible it will happen. We may well need to be able to store our own electricity by then anyway. While it's all new and no one knows what will happen when a current EV hits 10 years' old, how many people will take a punt at buying a three- or four-year-old used EV that may be out (or nearing being out) of warranty, with an unknown depreciation curve? How many people in the same situation would look at a new lease or a used ICE?

Master
    Exactly. All EV's should be just like this if the goal was to hit the green targets, but your experience with the car is bad news for Nissan, who I'm assuming, have made practically no profit on the car after the initial sale.

If the EV drivetrain and motor proves to be as reliable as they claim, then the only way for manufacturers to make profit after the initial sale is for the ancillary tech to fail. My comment above wasn't about the batteries specifically, which I agree seems to have been over-egged somewhat, it's about the rest. Modern EV's aren't old enough yet, but a bill of £850 when your door handles don't pop out one morning, or a "rear view mirror" camera fails will be painful for what is effectively non-essential tech.
    I was speaking to someone at work who has a 2019 xc90 hybrid and just had the motor/transaxle replaced at a cost of 15k that is a well known problem, BMW phev and Renault zoes commonly have the charging unit go after 5 years which cost 8k I wouldn't want to have a modern car out of warranty every thing that breaks seems to cost thousands proberbly a big reason a lot of people lease now

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    The i3 initially had a 22kwhr battery (60ah), then 33kwhr (90ah) and now the 42kwhr (120ah). The earlier, smaller battery models also had the option of a small range extender.

WRT maintenance costs, the drive train is much simpler than ICE so much cheaper to maintain. Everything else is the same as ICE so applies to all cars equally. And yes, pop out door handles seem as silly to me as Audi’s cameras for rear view mirrors with the screens mounted in a stupid place.

Sounds like a great idea. If development, technology and recycling proceeds at the rates they need to with all new cars due to be EVs it's quite possible it will happen. We may well need to be able to store our own electricity by then anyway. While it's all new and no one knows what will happen when a current EV hits 10 years' old, how many people will take a punt at buying a three- or four-year-old used EV that may be out (or nearing being out) of warranty, with an unknown depreciation curve? How many people in the same situation would look at a new lease or a used ICE?
    My van is a 64 plate so nearly ten years old and it’s not the oldest EV on the road. I would happily buy an older EV because, having driven one trouble free for the last nine years, I am confident that I would be less likely to have expensive problems with an EV than an equivalent age/mileage ICE.

Master
    people are buying 7-10 year old model S and leafs, battery warranty tends to be 8 years on most marques, a 4 year old car (EV or ICE) will already be at circa 40-45% of its original value and going to depreciate more, im not sure why you see these as EV issues per se. Id suggest ICE vehicles also have an unknown depreciation curve as they are very much subject to the whims of state interventions.