closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 206 of 354 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216256306 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,300 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Anyone use a liftstick or similar for chain maintenance etc?

I don't have a garage or even a drive so any routine maintenance takes place on the street outside my house. I have a 'roller plate thingy' that I can roll my back wheel under which will let me turn the back wheel but with lumpy tyres it doesn't roll so well. While I reckon it's highly unlikely I do worry that the juddery rolling of the wheel might knock bike off side stand (and onto me).
    Normally I would just slip the wheel round by hand or tip the bike over on the sidestand so the rear wheel can freewheel. I know neither is considered good practice but works OK or use a supermarket/IKEA car park for maintenance? We changed all 4 shocks in a supermarket carpark once when didn't have anywhere to work.

Was having a good muse and chat yesterday regarding my bike (which I love) and my inability to tour on it - or, at least, to ride all day in comfort. I'm inching inexorably towards an adventure bike, and with that in mind I'm going to pop over to Triumph North London today to swing a leg over the Tiger 900 Pro GT. It's a bit annoying as Howard and I were in the adjacent Harley dealership yesterday having a look at the Street Bob, which didn't quite hit the mark for me - we could have just gone next door at the time!

Anyway, this is the bad boy I'm homing in on... sadly not a shaft drive like the Beemers but I think I'd rather stay on a Triumph.

Exactly the same reason I got rid of my Street Triple R, simply want to do more touring and have a more comfortable riding position, I looked long and hard at those GT Pro’s, just wish they’d had done a nicer colour scheme, black red or white, the Rally Pro colour is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Exactly the same reason I got rid of my Street Triple R, simply want to do more touring and have a more comfortable riding position, I looked long and hard at those GT Pro’s, just wish they’d had done a nicer colour scheme, black red or white, the Rally Pro colour is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm okay with black/dark bikes so the color's not an issue for me. Sadly, the Rally Pro is just too tall for me - agree, though, it's a lovely bike.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Yeah, I loved that exhaust too.....they've just got the sound so right! Although I'm super happy with the Triumph Scrambler I replaced it with (especially now that it's orange too ;o)).....I do wish the exhaust sounder a bit raspier.....if that's even a word.

Excuse for a gratuitous pic.......
    I have a very tidy 2006 Bonneville T100 carb'd model, and I fitted a pair of TOR (Triumph off road) end cans to the stock down pipes.

They fit perfectly, and are exactly the same shape as stock - they sound so much more throaty than stock, but don't require rejetting.

I keep a range of accessories for the workshop from Motone at trade discount :

https://www.motone.co.uk/street-scrambler-2017-now-c117

If there is anything you want a price on, let me know.
    Last edited by W124; 17th July 2021 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    … It's a bit annoying as Howard and I were in the adjacent Harley dealership yesterday having a look at the Street Bob, which didn't quite hit the mark for me - we could have just gone next door at the time!
    We were too busy eating doughnuts!

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    We were too busy eating doughnuts!
    Shhh... Bea will kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    ... before heading home over the Cat n Fiddle...
    Might be worth avoiding for a few weeks - they've been resurfacing on and off this week (and I've been over it Weds and Thurs) but I've heard they've put loose chippings down yesterday.

Having said that I'm actually just off out that way myself but I'll use the back roads (Goyt Valley out and Wildboarclough back).

Might be worth avoiding for a few weeks - they've been resurfacing on and off this week (and I've been over it Weds and Thurs) but I've heard they've put loose chippings down yesterday.

Having said that I'm actually just off out that way myself but I'll use the back roads (Goyt Valley out and Wildboarclough back).
    It should suit all you guys on adventure bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It should suit all you guys on adventure bikes!
    The future me is offended.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

I didnt notice and new loose chipping surfaces to be honest. But like you say, they may have only gone down yesterday, I think it was Wednesday we were out there. I’m hearing they are doing some road works in N Wales however, and that where I fancy tomorrow. Nowt I can do if they are, just go slower, I have a rad guard on but I’m always aware of chips etc flying around all over the place off cars coming the other way.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I didnt notice and new loose chipping surfaces to be honest. But like you say, they may have only gone down yesterday, I think it was Wednesday we were out there. I’m hearing they are doing some road works in N Wales however, and that where I fancy tomorrow. Nowt I can do if they are, just go slower, I have a rad guard on but I’m always aware of chips etc flying around all over the place off cars coming the other way.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Stuart they normally wait for the school holidays or ideally Bank Holidays to do road works in Wales. I havnt seen much in the Flintshire area, might be more over Snowdonia / the west coast . Ride safe and watch out for the plane black 3 series BM’s with a chap or chapess with a blue jumper with epaulets on.

Steve

Was having a good muse and chat yesterday regarding my bike (which I love) and my inability to tour on it - or, at least, to ride all day in comfort. I'm inching inexorably towards an adventure bike, and with that in mind I'm going to pop over to Triumph North London today to swing a leg over the Tiger 900 Pro GT. It's a bit annoying as Howard and I were in the adjacent Harley dealership yesterday having a look at the Street Bob, which didn't quite hit the mark for me - we could have just gone next door at the time!

Anyway, this is the bad boy I'm homing in on... sadly not a shaft drive like the Beemers but I think I'd rather stay on a Triumph.

Well, I'm actually testing it for a couple of hours next weekend, but I had a good look/sit on/handle of both the GT Pro and the standard GT in the low ride height. Given the size relative to what I've ridden before the lowered version felt slightly better in terms of a fit; however, I'm testing the Pro with a low seat on and I'll make some decisions after that. Lovely bike in all guises, though.

More bike related stuff

You could always get the fairing kit for the Thruxton and some throw over panniers or a tank bag!

You could always get the fairing kit for the Thruxton and some throw over panniers or a tank bag!
    That wouldn’t really do it, Dave - the Thruxton’s not the ideal bike to do hundreds of miles on, nor to ride on anything other than good tarmac. Horses for courses.

Got myself a Helite vest a few weeks ago.

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/...saAvi1EALw_wcB

Having had the chance to try them at length during 2 days at Snetterton I went for the road version in black. Unless you’re elbows down they are fine on track and are better vented than the race version.

Hope I never need to test it, but they are really good having seen a demo.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

More bike related stuff

That wouldn’t really do it, Dave - the Thruxton’s not the ideal bike to do hundreds of miles on, nor to ride on anything other than good tarmac. Horses for courses.
    No, I know that Tony, just messing.

Having said that, Nick Sanders did at least one of his round the world trios on an R1 and more than one person has done it on a c90.

I do prefer the look of the smaller triumphs over the larger ones or the GS and if I were in the market, I’d probably go triumph 800 or maybe the Moto Guzzi 850.

No, I know that Tony, just messing.

Having said that, Nick Sanders did at least one of his round the world trios on an R1 and more than one person has done it on a c90.
    I followed a guy on Youtube for a while who vlogged his C90 adventures. Impressive to put it mildly.

Master
    Well, I'm actually testing it for a couple of hours next weekend, but I had a good look/sit on/handle of both the GT Pro and the standard GT in the low ride height. Given the size relative to what I've ridden before the lowered version felt slightly better in terms of a fit; however, I'm testing the Pro with a low seat on and I'll make some decisions after that. Lovely bike in all guises, though.
    It will be interesting to see what you think. My mate tried both the GT Low and the standard GT, and ended up with the standard GT with the seat set on the low setting. He didn't put much value on the PRO upgrades, although personally, I reckon they'd make the bike that bit nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    It will be interesting to see what you think. My mate tried both the GT Low and the standard GT, and ended up with the standard GT with the seat set on the low setting. He didn't put much value on the PRO upgrades, although personally, I reckon they'd make the bike that bit nicer.
    Yea, they do. Another factor is that you can’t fit a centre stand to the Low… very annoying.

Yea, they do. Another factor is that you can’t fit a centre stand to the Low… very annoying.
    Have you had a sit on the new HD adventure bike? The Mingerglide or whatever it's called.

The uppy-downy suspension feature is quite impressive. What I'd not realised is that it's the rear subframe that lowers as you slow, not the suspension, so ride height/ground clearance remains the same.

I was quite impressed, and if looks pretty good from the rider's perspective. Main downside for me is that I'm not convinced that I'd get much chance to use it, so it might become an expensive garage ornament.

That said, Africa Twins keep cropping up in my internet search history...

Looks good but I'd be testing the Africa twin and GS too - 850 and 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Have you had a sit on the new HD adventure bike? The Mingerglide or whatever it's called.

The uppy-downy suspension feature is quite impressive. What I'd not realised is that it's the rear subframe that lowers as you slow, not the suspension, so ride height/ground clearance remains the same.

I was quite impressed, and if looks pretty good from the rider's perspective. Main downside for me is that I'm not convinced that I'd get much chance to use it, so it might become an expensive garage ornament.

That said, Africa Twins keep cropping up in my internet search history...
    The Pan America? No, that's not for me. In any event I doubt I'd get hold of one for some time even if I liked it (I don't think it's officially launched yet).

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks good but I'd be testing the Africa twin and GS too - 850 and 1200.
    Well, the Africa Twin is simply too big and there are no variants that I'd be comfortable on. I did think about the F850 GS/GSA but it's chain drive, the 21" front wheel is a downside given that I'm weaving through traffic half the time, it doesn't stack up performance wise against the 1250 (which comes in a lowered version) and there's not really a size advantage compared to the 1250 anyway. I may still test the 1250 if anyone can offer a low one, but it's still a fair bit bigger and heavier than the Tiger and I don't want to feel that I'm dwarfed by the bike.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th July 2021 at 06:30.

Master
    The GS850 felt incredibly tall to me, even compared to my standard 1250.

Have you considered a Multistrada 950S? With a low seat they are 820mm (in the same ballpark as the Tiger), and they seem very well put together, as well as being a more “engaging” ride than some of the others.
    Last edited by downer; 18th July 2021 at 07:05.

The GS850 felt incredibly tall to me, even compared to my standard 1250.

Have you considered a Multistrada 950S? With a low seat they are 820mm (in the same ballpark as the Tiger), and they seem very well put together, as well as being a more “engaging” ride than some of the others.
    I did consider it, but even with the low seat it's right on the edge of rideability for me (my inside leg is only 30" and my sweet spot is a seat height of 790-810mm, unless the seat is particularly narrow). I wouldn't ever need it's 170 bhp so it doesn't really stack up against the Tiger if I'm being objective about it.

Whenever I read reviews about the Tiger 900 the thing that stands out is it's relative light weight and overall agility. When you're a small bloke thinking about an adventure bike, these things matter.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th July 2021 at 07:53.

Master
    I did consider it, but even with the low seat it's right on the edge of rideability for me (my inside leg is only 30" and my sweet spot is a seat height of 790-810mm, unless the seat is particularly narrow). I wouldn't ever need it's 170 bhp so it doesn't really stack up against the Tiger if I'm being objective about it.

Whenever I read reviews about the Tiger 900 the thing that stands out is it's relative light weight and overall agility. When you're a small bloke thinking about an adventure bike, these things matter.
    Makes sense, although I should point out the 950S Multi is 111 bhp (from memory), rather than 170.

So, a few more than the Tiger 900 but still in the same class, I think?

However, the seat height is what it is, and although it’s not purely about that, being able to easily reach the floor is a huge factor in having confidence in a bike.

Makes sense, although I should point out the 950S Multi is 111 bhp (from memory), rather than 170.

So, a few more than the Tiger 900 but still in the same class, I think?

However, the seat height is what it is, and although it’s not purely about that, being able to easily reach the floor is a huge factor in having confidence in a bike.
    It is, but it's also about practicability for me. I park on the patio at the back of the house, and it takes about a six point turn to get the bike into a position whereby I can get it into the Ridehide. (Yes, I could get off it and push, but it would still be a backwards and forwards exercise multiple times, with the heightened risk of dropping that entails). It's easier not being on tippy toes, particularly when it's wet.

(I really do need to sort out that mini-garage at the end of the garden!)

On this last point Tony, wouldn’t it be easier to have some sort of bike trolley which you would then cart into position?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    On this last point Tony, wouldn’t it be easier to have some sort of bike trolley which you would then cart into position?
    Theoretically, Marc, but anything I've seen requires lifting the bike onto a paddock-type stand. I really haven't found anything that both minimises risk and makes life easier; I'd also not be able to use the Ridehide if the bike was raised whilst parked up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Having had the chance to try them at length during 2 days at Snetterton I went for the road version in black. Unless you’re elbows down they are fine on track and are better vented than the race version.

Have had their Mesh jacket for over a year now and it’s a good summer jacket. Like you say hope it’s never needed but it’s nice to know it’s there.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

my inside leg is only 30"
    I wish you lanky buggers would stop boasting about your stilt-walker-like leg length.

I dream of having a 30" inside leg and all the biking options that would magically open up.

I could ride a 1250GSA. I could reach the forward controls on a Harley. I could spend my weekends on a dirt bike.

With a 30" inside leg the possibilities are endless...

Anyway, back from my long leg fantasies. As you mention, seat shape is perhaps more important that height. A narrow waisted tall bike is often easier to live with than a lower, wider seated alternative. The R1200R works well in this regard as the seat and frame shape (almost) allowed me to flat foot.

Have you considered getting a Street Scrambler (790mm) and chucking some Givis at it? Low seat, upright riding position, and none of that 170bhp nonsense ;-)

I wish you lanky buggers would stop boasting about your stilt-walker-like leg length.

I dream of having a 30" inside leg and all the biking options that would magically open up.

I could ride a 1250GSA. I could reach the forward controls on a Harley. I could spend my weekends on a dirt bike.

With a 30" inside leg the possibilities are endless...

Anyway, back from my long leg fantasies. As you mention, seat shape is perhaps more important that height. A narrow waisted tall bike is often easier to live with than a lower, wider seated alternative. The R1200R works well in this regard as the seat and frame shape (almost) allowed me to flat foot.

Have you considered getting a Street Scrambler (790mm) and chucking some Givis at it? Low seat, upright riding position, and none of that 170bhp nonsense ;-)
    Haha - yes, I have a couple of inches on you, from memory. I'm such a lank!

I did think about the Street Scrambler, but I've got myself used to having a fair bit more power on tap so if anything I'd probably want to look at the Speed Twin instead. That's certainly an option but, if I'm going to chop in my beautiful TTR then I'd rather it was to achieve a very tangible gain in touring ability. Otherwise, I could just do a handlebar conversion on mine and I'd have a far better spec'd bike than either the Street Scrambler or the Speed Twin and probably a similar amount of riding comfort.

As in...

Last edited by learningtofly; 18th July 2021 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I’m thinking about a jacket version of this when I next buy one. Makes a lot of sense.

Theoretically, Marc, but anything I've seen requires lifting the bike onto a paddock-type stand. I really haven't found anything that both minimises risk and makes life easier; I'd also not be able to use the Ridehide if the bike was raised whilst parked up.

Couldn't you use one of those dolly things and spin it around on the centre stand Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Couldn't you use one of those dolly things and spin it around on the centre stand Tony?
    No centre stand option for the lowered version of the Tiger, Ray. Or for the TTR, for that matter.

The Pan America? No, that's not for me. In any event I doubt I'd get hold of one for some time even if I liked it (I don't think it's officially launched yet).

Well, the Africa Twin is simply too big and there are no variants that I'd be comfortable on. I did think about the F850 GS/GSA but it's chain drive, the 21" front wheel is a downside given that I'm weaving through traffic half the time, it doesn't stack up performance wise against the 1250 (which comes in a lowered version) and there's not really a size advantage compared to the 1250 anyway. I may still test the 1250 if anyone can offer a low one, but it's still a fair bit bigger and heavier than the Tiger and I don't want to feel that I'm dwarfed by the bike.
    I commuted into London from Hertfordshire daily on the 1200 GSA and yes it's heavy but the weight is hidden extremely well by the low center of gravity. I wouldn't get the adventure model again for commuting as with a full tank in the rain or heavy traffic it can be a pug but the regular GS would be a dream. The handle bars move around like a bicycle and it's lovely to ride. Silly pricing though, outrageous even.

I don't know if this is important to you (it was to me after some accidents) but the road presence was unreal. I had the triple black with LED lights and a full de-cat Akra Ti system. Never used the horn once. Cars just move out of the way.

I can see you already Tony - full Rukka suit, Daytona boots and a new Schuberth flip up helmet. Full "tosser" uniform.

I commuted into London from Hertfordshire daily on the 1200 GSA and yes it's heavy but the weight is hidden extremely well by the low center of gravity. I wouldn't get the adventure model again for commuting as with a full tank in the rain or heavy traffic it can be a pug but the regular GS would be a dream. The handle bars move around like a bicycle and it's lovely to ride. Silly pricing though, outrageous even.

I don't know if this is important to you (it was to me after some accidents) but the road presence was unreal. I had the triple black with LED lights and a full de-cat Akra Ti system. Never used the horn once. Cars just move out of the way.

I can see you already Tony - full Rukka suit, Daytona boots and a new Schuberth flip up helmet. Full "tosser" uniform.
    Hah!

I do like the 1250GS a lot, especially in black. Yes, they offer a lowered version, but it's expensive and about 100 lbs heavier than the Tiger (although a lot more powerful, which is attractive).

May be worth seeing if I can find one locally to swing a leg over, but it would need to be the lowered version so probably unlikely that I'll find one anyway.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th July 2021 at 10:36.

I had the triple black with LED lights
    Come the revolution, riders that have their high-intensity LED lights on all the time, not just when riding in particularly heavy fog conditions, are definitely on my "to do" list.

I did think about the Street Scrambler, but I've got myself used to having a fair bit more power on tap
    Indeed. Despite mine being kitted for touring, it's not ideal, though arguably better than the touring Harley I bought for touring.

Otherwise, I could just do a handlebar conversion on mine and I'd have a far better spec'd bike than either the Street Scrambler or the Speed Twin and probably a similar amount of riding comfort.
    That's not such a bad idea. And you know you can get that one in the shed.

Hah!

I do like the 1250GS a lot, especially in black. Yes, they offer a lowered version, but it's expensive and about 110 lbs heavier than the Tiger (although a lot more powerful, which is attractive).

May be worth seeing if I can find one locally to swing a leg over, but it would need to be the lowered version so probably unlikely that I'll find one.
    You'll only ever notice the weight of wheeling it around turned off. They might not have a lowered new one but they should have a lowered used one to give you an idea.

FWIW I have a 30 inch leg and with the standard seat on the low setting was barely OK, but not confidence inspiring. I was going to get the low seat but the guy said "you're a big lad. Give it 2 weeks and that cushion will give in a bit and you'll be fine". He was right :(
    Come the revolution, riders that have their high-intensity LED lights on all the time, not just when riding in particularly heavy fog conditions, are definitely on my "to do" list.
    This was daytime mode which was fine most of the time. Regular "on" was fantastic and high/full beam could turn an entire postcode into daylight.

?..Well, the Africa Twin is simply too big.
    If Gaston could ride this, you should be fine…

Last edited by hhhh; 18th July 2021 at 11:46.

I saw the new HD adventure bike this morning. It didn’t look too big compared to a GS.

If Gaston could ride it, you should be fine…

But he's only got an 18" torso. He hides behind the bike as he feels he looks silly!

If Gaston could ride it, you should be fine…

Gaston Rahier was indeed a short arse but an outstanding rider. He is, however, riding a BMW above and not a Honda
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This was daytime mode which was fine most of the time. Regular "on" was fantastic and high/full beam could turn an entire postcode into daylight.
    Hmmm. OK. Perhaps you'll be spared the Tasering in the plums this time. Those that have them on full all the time will not be spared.

With the PIAA spotlights on the Triumph, I have them wired so they only come on with full beam.

Gaston Rahier was indeed a short arse but an outstanding rider. He is, however, riding a BMW above and not a Honda
    A google search for “lac rose edition” by bahnstormer motorrad will reveal a modern R9T creation that is a throwback to the Dakar bikes…beautifully done.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lac+...BAp6VYULhrt87M

Master
    There’s a SWM 650 locally to me for sale - tempted to take a look - like to get back on 2 wheels

Good point, well made. 😬

If Gaston could ride this, you should be fine…

Riding the Dakar though, he only needed to get on it at the start of a stage and the next time he stopped was the end (assuming he didn’t fall of en route). Non of this messing about with junctions and traffic!

Riding the Dakar though, he only needed to get on it at the start of a stage and the next time he stopped was the end (assuming he didn’t fall of en route). Non of this messing about with junctions and traffic!
    Yes, and he did pretty much destroy his body in the process.