closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red traffic light jumpers.

Red traffic light jumpers.

Every day while dog walking, I cross a dual carriageway using a pedestrian crossing which has traffic lights at least six times a day while dog walking, there is also a speed camera and red light camera but for some reason the council don’t use it, I think it caught too many motorists and they couldn’t cope, in my opinion speed/red light cameras should be privatized 

There is not a day go by that when the lights have changed to red ready for me to cross that at least once and often more times a car, van, lorry, coach, bus etc drives through the red lights either heading north or south, sometimes drivers jam their brakes on at the last moment and end up straddled across the pedestrian crossing.

I have on occasion took a photo of a lorry straddled across the crossing and received a great deal of shouted abuse, I heard words I had never heard before  other drivers look up to the sky as though they can’t see me while others give a sheepish smile.

The drivers seem to be a total cross section of drivers, young, old, male and female.

I notice when driving many times, I am waiting at a junction when the lights in front of me change from red to green but cars continue to cross in front of me so obviously, they have gone through there red light.

I suppose when someone gets killed the authorities will say "lessons will be learnt" :(

The most heinous offenders around me are the cyclists. So many don't seem to think that the lights apply to them. Grrrrr.

Have you contacted your MP, the council and the local police about it?

If the cameras are there, they should be in use and drivers should be receiving the appropriate fines.

I can't believe any council would pass up the chance to make a bit of coin at drivers' expense.

Green light means safe to proceed if clear to do so.
    So many folks forget this and just whizz through a junction when they see it change to green.
    So many also cut the red/amber and even red.

It is indeed only a matter of time before the worst happens.

On an advanced driving course, one of the basic aspects is to always look left/right etc. as you go through any junction, for blue-light but also anyone jumping lights etc.
    It has served me well a few times.

I teach the same to my kids for pedestrian crossings. Green means look to see if clear, and keep looking whole time you cross.

The world is full of careless people, mongs and unaware selfish idiots - just factor it in and move around them best you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    … mongs …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Oh dear, we've gone back to the 1970s

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Unbelievable.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    The most heinous offenders around me are the cyclists. So many don't seem to think that the lights apply to them. Grrrrr.
    Same here.

And don’t get me started on this riding two abreast while a queue of twenty cars forms up behind you, all delayed by your afternoon jaunt on a busy road…
    So clever my foot fell off.

What freaks me out are the vast majority of folks who start crossing without checking if the traffic is/has stopped. See it with parents and young kids all the time, utter madness.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    What freaks me out are the vast majority of folks who start crossing without checking if the traffic is/has stopped. See it with parents and young kids all the time, utter madness.
    We locals know so we wouldn't dream of crossing until the traffic comes to a standstill but visitors beware, same when we drive out of our road onto the dual carriageway we never just pull out when our the lights change to green, we sneak out and make sure its safe but again visitors beware.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Same here.

And don’t get me started on this riding two abreast while a queue of twenty cars forms up behind you, all delayed by your afternoon jaunt on a busy road…
    It never takes long for threads like these to bring out the gammons! Is there nothing new in todays Daily Mail for you to get 'outraged' about?

You'll find most people regardless of their mode of transport whether it be foot, bike, car etc are infact feckless, inconsiderate selfish wankers. Apart from me of course, I'm lovely.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant. Post #2 and it’s the cyclists fault already. Although not a single mention of cyclists in the OP.

I do like this all the time if it is green for me. It’s a fun to see shocked faces of drivers. who would’ve thought that they have to stop at red light ;)

Oh - so not knitwear related
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    It never takes long for threads like these to bring out the gammons! Is there nothing new in todays Daily Mail for you to get 'outraged' about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Brilliant. Post #2 and it’s the cyclists fault already. Although not a single mention of cyclists in the OP.
    Woah! I'm not one to be defensive, but hang on:

. I never said it was all the cyclist's fault
    . I'm a cyclist myself
    . I'm pretty sure that neither of us read the Mail
    . I'm pretty sure that neither of us fit the definition of 'gammon'
    . Unless my copy of the Highway Code is out of date, traffic lights apply to bicycles too

I've not seen many cars jump a red light, the last one was probably about ten years ago. He was flashed, and I hope he was penalised accordingly.

I see bicycles doing it most days.

Bicycles can be dangerous, and not just for the riders. A woman was killed by one near us quite recently.

Sorry, that has gone off topic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    . I'm a cyclist myself
    Standard defence ...

Bicycles can be dangerous, and not just for the riders. A woman was killed by one near us quite recently.
    ... how many killed by cars, lorries, vans etc ... how many have died of obesity related conditions?

Yes some idiots ride bikes but the real risk to pedestrians and road users isn't cyclists is it ...

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Beat me to it - was expecting Giles Brandreth...

I was just leaving a supermarket and two adults crossed the road without even seeing me and they were not even looking in the direction they were walking.

Usually its people engrossed in their mobiles that have no awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Gammon? You really don’t know me. Daily Mail reader? You really, really don’t know me…😁

What is it I said you take issue with?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    You should see their faces when you time the button press to perfection at the bottom of a downhill section which leads to a very uphill section

After a few attempts you learn exactly when to press the button - which is very akin to being in the bear pit really.

Last edited by catflem; 9th April 2024 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I do like this all the time if it is green for me. It’s a fun to see shocked faces of drivers. who would’ve thought that they have to stop at red light ;)
    Ditto - of course while being very careful to ensure the driver has seen me. If I have right of way they can FRO

Master
    I’ve just upgraded my sat nav and was surprised at the amount of camera warnings I’m getting at lights my old one was not picking anything up at lights.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My first thought on reading the OP was ‘I wonder how many posts before the cyclist haters pile in?’ You did not disappoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    You should see their faces when you time the button press to perfection at the bottom of a downhill section which leads to a very uphill section

After a few attempts you learn exactly when to press the button - which is very akin to being in the bear pit really.

How pathetic

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same here.

You’re joking I hope.

Same here.

How very dare you TFB, they're saving the planet don't you know!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    My first thought on reading the OP was ‘I wonder how many posts before the cyclist haters pile in?’ You did not disappoint.

- - - Updated - - -

How pathetic
    See it works........ you just got to know what button to press

The obvious tongue in cheek humour was obviously far too subtle for you
    Last edited by catflem; 9th April 2024 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Probably not the case but my wife used that term fairly regularly until recently. She thought it was slang for mongoose.

When she found out she nearly had a panic attack. She was even using it at work.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    See it works........ you just got to know what button to press

The obvious tongue in cheek humour was obviously far too subtle for you
    Such a sense of humour tends to desert you when you’ve been at the receiving end of perpetual attempts by drivers to run you off the road & apparently try to kill you just because you dare to ride a bike &, god forbid, delay their journey by 10 seconds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Probably not the case but my wife used that term fairly regularly until recently. She thought it was slang for mongoose.

When she found out she nearly had a panic attack. She was even using it at work.
    I always thought it was ‘member of nation’s greatest’

Master
    Many years ago, I served on a jury where we found a guy guilty of causing death by dangerous driving. He’d steamed on through a red light and t-boned a car turning right on a filter light, killing the driver.

I’ve never forgotten it and what was worse, he’d been charged with running red light previously and we didn’t get to know that until after the verdict.

He got 3 years in prison, which seemed an insult.

That's just made me spit beer. Mongoose!

Although, I've just told my wife the story and she asked what a moongoose is. She's deaf in one ear.

Master
    Blog Entries

This is an often cited example amongst cyclist haters.

Every single car journey I make I am delayed by other cars, vans and lorries. As I have to share the roads and the traffic adds significant time compared to my journey on empty roads. Occasionally I get delayed by tractors, horses or cyclists but the incidence is occasional rather than the inconvenience caused by other cars on every journey.

I’m certain this must be the case for everyone, yet there is no illogical hate for other car drivers … but cyclists… it’s all their fault, entitled pavement riding red light jumpers …

Master

Proof that there’s no curing dim

Master

Every single car journey I make I am delayed by other cars, vans and lorries. As I have to share the roads and the traffic adds significant time compared to my journey on empty roads. Occasionally I get delayed by tractors, horses or cyclists but the incidence is occasional rather than the inconvenience caused by other cars on every journey.

I’m certain this must be the case for everyone, yet there is no illogical hate for other car drivers … but cyclists… it’s all their fault, entitled pavement riding red light jumpers …
    and don't get me started on Guardian reading Aston drivers 😂

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Proof that there’s no curing dim
    Now now, mouth frother. Back to the pit for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    and don't get me started on Guardian reading Aston drivers 
    Do they turn the bottom of their jeans up?

I've not seen many cars jump a red light, the last one was probably about ten years ago.
    Laughed so much a bit of wee came out.
    Do you live on one of those Hebridean islands with a population of less than 100?
    I see motorists run the lights near me every day!?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Beat me to it - was expecting Giles Brandreth...
    Specially for you

🤣

(That is what I was also expecting from the OP, TBF)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Laughed so much a bit of wee came out.
    Do you live on one of those Hebridean islands with a population of less than 100?
    I see motorists run the lights near me every day!?
    this.....

driving around London the amount of times the light goes green for me and then you see cars on the red piling through. This is several times a day; these people should be given points using camera tech and then banned.

It is a ridiculously dangerous bad habit that seems to go completely ignored.....

thank god the motorways are full of cameras to catch people doing 54mph in a 50 restriction, in endless roadworks on all of the major motorways that seem to take 5 times longer than they should!

I love this kind of humour because its so unfunny it makes me smile that someone thinks it is funny :)

Master
    Blog Entries

When I commute by bike it’s motorists that are holding me up & inconveniencing me a lot more than me doing the same thing to them. I regularly overtake one to two hundred vehicles on my way to work. I suppose it’s not surprising that they get frustrated sat stationary in their steel boxes watching all the cyclists cruise past.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I love this kind of humour because its so unfunny it makes me smile that someone thinks it is funny :)
    Lighten up John, it's funny.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    e-scooters and sit on scooters with L plates ridden by kids are the chief offenders around here. I and almost everyone I speak with has had a near miss at some point.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    When I commute by bike it’s motorists that are holding me up & inconveniencing me a lot more than me doing the same thing to them. I regularly overtake one to two hundred vehicles on my way to work. I suppose it’s not surprising that they get frustrated sat stationary in their steel boxes watching all the cyclists cruise past.
    Indeed but it’s not the cyclist holding them up it’s the other car drivers. The irony is that if half those drivers got on bikes the other cars would make more progress.

Yet they still hate the people who are making their journey faster.

Blog Entries

Being delayed to the tune of perhaps 40mph by slower moving cars or vehicles is hardly comparable to the 16-19mph of a gaggle of lycra planet savers, likely out for a jaunt to a garden centre for a cup of latte and a croissant.

As for horses they don't tend to ride two abreast around here making passing more difficult, and are rarely seen on main roads holding up large queues. Anyway, I like horses.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Gammon? You really don’t know me. Daily Mail reader? You really, really don’t know me…😁

What is it I said you take issue with?
    Knowing your posts on here I was shocked you jumped on that tired cyclists holding me up for two minutes moan. I can’t imagine there aren’t situations in your life where you need a little patience from your fellow man? It may not be you but the sheer percentage of drivers who pass too close and too fast makes cyclists scared. Blame the other drivers, not the cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Specially for you

I had looked for a red one and gave up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Being delayed to the tune of perhaps 40mph by slower moving cars or vehicles is hardly comparable to the 16-19mph of a gaggle of lycra planet savers, likely out for a jaunt to a garden centre for a cup of latte and a croissant.

As for horses they don't tend to ride two abreast around here making passing more difficult, and are rarely seen on main roads holding up large queues. Anyway, I like horses.
    I’m mostly delayed by cars doing 0mph. Traffic jams caused by sheer weight of traffic. There are just too many cars now. 6 million more cars now on the roads since 2000. I have not noticed many more roads being built.

I enjoyed your cyclist stereotype, did you cut and paste that from The Daily Mail website?
    Last edited by Montello; 11th April 2024 at 09:03.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Dear me - don't hold back say what you mean
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.