closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 33 of 357 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 17814

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    So I dug up a pic of the SP2 as a trip down memory lane...

(we need more pics on this thread :) )

Brutal good looks. I almost bought a standard white SP2 as my first bike after passing my Direct Access...... what was I thinking !!!!

I was out on the beast earlier - I know it was rainy and slippery, but I managed to get away without power-sliding too much...

You were being perfectly sensible ;-) I've owned an SP1 & 2, neither are that intimidating, but quite nice to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Brutal good looks. I almost bought a standard white SP2 as my first bike after passing my Direct Access...... what was I thinking !!!!
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for all the feedback regarding flip up lids..both positive and otherwise. Got a couple in mind and will update after my purchase. Looking forward to seeing a few of you later in the month too.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    I was out on the beast earlier - I know it was rainy and slippery, but I managed to get away without power-sliding too much...

Is that a Starfire?

Quote Originally Posted by Culminator View Post
    Is that a Starfire?
    Bantam.

Starfire was a 250 4-stroke

Master

I

I’m just toying with buying a bike again for commuting almost 10 years since I sold my last bike which where all manic sports bikes gsxrs fireblades etc I think the most sensible bike I had was an sp1. Anyway has anyone got experience of VFR 800s? They seem to fit the bill of what I’m looking for reasonable weather protection, reliable, cheap enough (circa 2-3k for a 2003/4 ) and seem to get reasonable reviews for compromised fun etc. I don’t want a set your hair on fire backing it into corners machine anymore just a sensible commuter that can still make you smile even when it’s boucning down. I’d appreciate thoughts from those who’ve had one etc and of course any alternatives you think might fit the bill I’ve always quite fancied a gs1200r after trying a friends a couple of years back but I can’t justify the cost of what maybe a flash in the pan idea and if used as intended would be in all weathers and not really looked after as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’m just toying with buying a bike again for commuting almost 10 years since I sold my last bike which where all manic sports bikes gsxrs fireblades etc I think the most sensible bike I had was an sp1. Anyway has anyone got experience of VFR 800s? They seem to fit the bill of what I’m looking for reasonable weather protection, reliable, cheap enough (circa 2-3k for a 2003/4 ) and seem to get reasonable reviews for compromised fun etc. I don’t want a set your hair on fire backing it into corners machine anymore just a sensible commuter that can still make you smile even when it’s boucning down. I’d appreciate thoughts from those who’ve had one etc and of course any alternatives you think might fit the bill I’ve always quite fancied a gs1200r after trying a friends a couple of years back but I can’t justify the cost of what maybe a flash in the pan idea and if used as intended would be in all weathers and not really looked after as it should be.
    Here you go...

https://youtu.be/AhP2XLKQRrk

Master
    Yep - I’ve had two: a 2001 Fi-Y last of the pre-Vtec VFR800s. Hewn from granite build quality, gear driven cams for the distinctive VFR whine/noise, and a great all round bike whose build quality has not been seen since. Also had a VFR800-A6, 2nd gen Vtec which was delightful. One of my favourite bikes for just cruising and all round bimbling. Used it in all weathers, and with a pair of Staintune cans gave a lovely V4 yowl. The key downside with all VFR800s is the really poor turning circle. And many will either opt for a lighter and/or more powerful bike. The VFR never feels light on its feet, and it is a compromised doitall bike with limited suspension travel, weight, and performance. Some love it if you only like riding 4-5/10ths everywhere. Otherwise, huge character for a sports tourer and generally a pleasure to own.

GS LC? It is a vastly superior bike in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've always wondered what type of person buys those wrist vents.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Bantam.

Ah yes of course. looks lovely by the way.

Craftsman
    [IMG][/IMG]

Full custom build by Krazy Horse.

Master
    LOL watched that yesterday as it happens

More bike related stuff

Is that a Starfire?
    As Gyp says, it’s a Bantam - a 1968 D14/4 which Mrs. B bought for my 40th birthday. It was the archetypal shed-find and I have literally stripped and replaced, repaired, repainted and refurbed every single part.

It’s a hoot to ride, especially if I’ve just hopped off my Rocket :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've always wondered what type of person buys those wrist vents.
    Probably somewhat less knobbish to buy a mesh jacket

LOL watched that yesterday as it happens
    I thought it was very funny

Master
    Bantam.

My first bike after a Fizzy, the Starfire! Broke down all the time.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post

A mate of mine had one in about 1984; he spent more time pushing it than riding it!

I would say if you have come from sports bikes do make sure the bike has enough braking and handling. I bought an Aprilia Pegaso after a layoff and was soon upgrading the brake lines, pads, tyres etc. before selling the bike for something else. So even if you do want something calm, make sure it still behaves and rides so you can enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would say if you have come from sports bikes do make sure the bike has enough braking and handling. I bought an Aprilia Pegaso after a layoff and was soon upgrading the brake lines, pads, tyres etc. before selling the bike for something else. So even if you do want something calm, make sure it still behaves and rides so you can enjoy it.
    Top tip thank you, I’m still hankering towards an adventure bike to be completely away from feeling even remotely sporty. Once the house renovation is completed (hopefully next week) I’ll start shopping around and taking test rides.

Master
    Aren't you frightened that non-sport bikes will be a bit boring after sp1, fireblade and gsxrs?

Master
    Aren't you frightened that non-sport bikes will be a bit boring after sp1, fireblade and gsxrs?

The VFR 800 sounds wicked with an open race exhaust though....

Master
    [IMG][/IMG]

Full custom build by Krazy Horse.
    That is a statement piece, very nice and from a very respected builder. No issues with buying heated pants with those zorsts!
    Ive yet to try the arms out feet forward style, it must be brilliant for cruising to your local bike meets or pub stops. Probably draw the line at 300 mile days👍🏍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post

The VFR 800 sounds wicked with an open race exhaust though....
    I am a little worried but at the same time I'm aiming for it to be a sensible commuter and remove some of the temptation to ride it like I stole it, I still really fancy a GS but can't justify the cost of one (yet ;))

Fitted the new rear end today. Like all projects, it’ll have to come off again for some minor mods but it’s generally good.

I took the opportunity to fit a more modern shock too which also raised the back end by about 30mm. The wheelbase is 50mm shorter too so it should steer a little quicker too.

It’ll be interesting once I’ve got the front end on and everything finished so I can get it out on the road to try it.

I am a little worried but at the same time I'm aiming for it to be a sensible commuter and remove some of the temptation to ride it like I stole it, I still really fancy a GS but can't justify the cost of one (yet ;))
    I went from a string of sports bikes to a blackbird and really didn’t like it. Just felt too dull. Then had an aprilia rsv factory, which I swapped for a gs. The gs is so different that you don’t compare it to sports bikes and it’s a hoot in its own way. It may be worth considering an older trailee style bike rather than a sports tourer.

Might try an Xdiavel S for size today

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    When I had my Diavel, a mate also had the XDiavelS. We swapped for a short ride, and it was short as well. I simply didnt like it after about a mile. The feet forward position seems to make you kinda lean forward, and every little bump in the road is transferred to you back. It just wasnt for me I’m afraid. Plus the 1260 engine was a lot more vibey than the 1198 in mine. Try one though, you may like it. If you do my mate is selling his as he wants the new Diavel which is out later this year.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Let us know what you think. I saw one in the local dealer on Saturday and was taken with the finish - was the S model with the polished engine parts and looked very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Let us know what you think. I saw one in the local dealer on Saturday and was taken with the finish - was the S model with the polished engine parts and looked very nice.
    It'll only be a pop in and perch today rather than a ride unfortunately, but if it sort of fits I might arrange something in the next few weeks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I went from a string of sports bikes to a blackbird and really didn’t like it. Just felt too dull. Then had an aprilia rsv factory, which I swapped for a gs. The gs is so different that you don’t compare it to sports bikes and it’s a hoot in its own way. It may be worth considering an older trailee style bike rather than a sports tourer.
    Cheers yes I think a gs is going to be the way to go, you’re really not helping my wallet lol

Craftsman
    It'll only be a pop in and perch today rather than a ride unfortunately, but if it sort of fits I might arrange something in the next few weeks.
    Make sure you ride it on a bumpy road before you buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    Make sure you ride it on a bumpy road before you buy it!
    I’d heard the ride described as harsh.

Craftsman
    I’d heard the ride described as harsh.
    It is, I think it's a 'Starbucks' bike if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    It is, I think it's a 'Starbucks' bike if you know what I mean
    Yes, I’ve heard the term!

I don't think I'll be buying one.

Possibly because I'm not a great coffee drinker.

But more likely that sat on it I didn't feel an urge to ride it

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    If you fancy a V Twin Duc, try the standard Diavel. Its an awesome bike.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    If you fancy a V Twin Duc, try the standard Diavel. Its an awesome bike.
    I might, but in a strange way it's a bit too similar to what I've already got and unfortunately because of the perils of depreciation, I'd have to spend big to change which seems somewhat pointless.

I've done the hyperbike thing before so I'm not chasing monster power figures, but (God, this makes me sound old) I'm thinking of what's comfortable and manageable without compromising capability.

But for today I'm venturing out on the near 30 year old BMW because it has a lot better weather protection than the far more capable 4 year old one at the back of the garage :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post

Luxury, we dreamed of a Starfire! My first bike was a Tiger Cub and my mate had a C15. Both had lighting by Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness.

The 12v headlight on the next one, a Honda 250k4 was somewhat of a revelation!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 Review

I don't know how many of you are subscribed to Ryan/FortNine's YouTube channel, but to my mind it's one of the very best (motorbike related, of course). This is a fascinating review of the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701, worth watching until the very end.

I don't know how many of you are subscribed to Ryan/FortNine's YouTube channel, but to my mind it's one of the very best (motorbike related, of course). This is a fascinating review of the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701, worth watching until the very end.
    Not seen it before - very different to the regular youtube biking channels. Remarkably good production quality.

Not seen it before - very different to the regular youtube biking channels. Remarkably good production quality.
    Agree with that but I just found him quite annoying. Why use one word when you can have three sentences?

Agree with that but I just found him quite annoying. Why use one word when you can have three sentences?
    I'd agree with that also.

I only watched all the way through because of the recommendation. I'm in no hurry to search out his other videos

He may be an acquired taste, but his bike reviews are very different to the sponsored, vanilla bullsh*t that you normally get.

Grand Master
    Unlike Capt Rumbacious or whatever he is called he is just a massive stroker
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Unlike Capt Rumbacious or whatever he is called he is just a massive stroker
    Yeah, I can't watch him either.

Like bikes I guess it’s each to their own.

I like BVG as he is sending himself up most of the time and he’s a BMW fan. TMF is also ok for me after the first 5 seconds of his videos are out of the way.

I found the guy on the Vitpilen video excruciating at times. He was such a pseud.

Like bikes I guess it’s each to their own.

I like BVG as he is sending himself up most of the time and he’s a BMW fan. TMF is also ok for me after the first 5 seconds of his videos are out of the way.

I found the guy on the Vitpilen video excruciating at times. He was such a pseud.
    I disagree re him being a "pseud". He has a certain style that you might not like but his videos are often superb in terms of production quality and both amusing/educational (and almost half a million subscribers speaks for itself).

I disagree re him being a "pseud". He has a certain style that you might not like but his videos are often superb in terms of production quality and both amusing/educational (and almost half a million subscribers speaks for itself).
    ‘When Husky was fractured and sold, all these moments were lost in time, like tears in rain’

Come on Tony! The video was peppered with this guff.

‘When Husky was fractured and sold, all these moments were lost in time, like tears in rain’

Come on Tony! The video was peppered with this guff.
    He was referencing the most quoted scene from Blade Runner - and being completely tongue in cheek, very obviously. I thought it was clever.

TMF is also ok for me after the first 5 seconds of his videos are out of the way.
    "HAY KIDZ!!!!"

Tragic.