closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 357 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 17848

Thread: More bike related stuff

Just looking for a little feedback regarding flip up helmets. I'm off to Spain in September for a 15 day tour and expect the weather to be quite hot. I've always ridden with a full face lid. With Arai being my preferred choice due to comfort, fit and quality.

However for this trip I'm thinking a flip up helmet may be a better option. Does anyone ride with one and if so what are the pros and cons? Ideally looking for something that you can ride with in the open position and normal speeds. I wear prescription sunglasses so eye protection is already taken care of.

I don't believe Arai do flip ups lids hence the need to seek an a different maker.

Thanks, Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Just looking for a little feedback regarding flip up helmets. I'm off to Spain in September for a 15 day tour and expect the weather to be quite hot. I've always ridden with a full face lid. With Arai being my preferred choice due to comfort, fit and quality.

However for this trip I'm thinking a flip up helmet may be a better option. Does anyone ride with one and if so what are the pros and cons? Ideally looking for something that you can ride with in the open position and normal speeds. I wear prescription sunglasses so eye protection is already taken care of.

I don't believe Arai do flip ups lids hence the need to seek an a different maker.

Thanks, Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I've never had an Arai helmet as I have a fat head but I have a Schuberth C3 Pro and an older Shoei Neotec. No complaints on either, and I think now I would only buy flip up. Schuberth is meant to be quieter if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post

However for this trip I'm thinking a flip up helmet may be a better option. TZ-UK mobile app
    Not sure how a flip is going to be cooler?
    You're not thinking of riding with it open are you?
    If so, consider an open face.
    It'll be far safer.

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Just a head up for folks that M&P have got the Shoei GT-air primal @ £250 which is the cheapest i've ever seen https://www.mandp.co.uk/shoei-gt-air...ce-helmet.html
    Hopefully useful for someone.
    I bought a gt air a couple of weeks ago for commuting, fantastic helmet and the sun visor means no hassle swapping visors.

Master
    Flip up helmets are great for photos, petrol stations, and quick coffee breaks. But when riding, keep it closed unless you enjoy losing your jaw in a spill. In which case, it is no cooler than a normal full face helmet.

Schuberth C3 Pro is brilliant - I have been riding with them for the past 60k odd miles. I am on my 2nd after the 1st saved my life in a bad RTA. Keep in mind: it is not approved for use with the flip open at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Flip up helmets are great for photos, petrol stations, and quick coffee breaks. But when riding, keep it closed unless you enjoy losing your jaw in a spill. In which case, it is no cooler than a normal full face helmet.

Schuberth C3 Pro is brilliant - I have been riding with them for the past 60k odd miles. I am on my 2nd after the 1st saved my life in a bad RTA. Keep in mind: it is not approved for use with the flip open at speed.
    Very few flip-front helmets are legal or approved - for use with the chinbar flipped up.

New BMW Sys 7 is approved for use with the bar removed only.
    Shark Flip up lids - are approved for use with the chinbar flipped all the way back to the secured position.

.. when riding, keep it closed unless you enjoy losing your jaw in a spill.
    Yep.
    Also, during impact an open visor can 'jack' your neck with catastrophic consequences.

I ride with my Shoei Neotech in the up position a lot of the time, mostly in built up areas but not exclusively. On a warm day it does keep your head cooler than with it in the closed position.

I've had one or two high speed spills in my riding career, never whilst wearing a full face helmet, in fact my Neotech is the first helmet I've owned that can cover my jaw and I've only had that for about three years. I'm pleased to report I still have my jaw.

Seriously contemplating another bike, so popped along to the local Triumph dealership... wasn’t expecting to find them in a middle of a refurb, probably a good thing though as Mrs C needs convincing that bikes before bathrooms is the way to go.

Looking forward to seeing it after the refurb though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spent the day helping a mate that's returning to biking after a 10-year layoff to get riding gear.

I've decided that my bike gear is seriously outdated and good new bike gear is very expensive.

I also found myself in a Triumph shop and, despite hating myself for doing so, sat on and enjoyed a Bobber.

Better than that though I rode both my R1200R and R80RT today and didn't get rained on.

I must confess I do like the bobber, forward controls for my knees and easy on the wrists appeals to me now but the wife has told me it’s a selfish bike as she likes to come along once in a while. Im still contemplating the speedmaster that I can make a single seat... that might be the way forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I was all set to go for a bit of a ride this afternoon. Rode around the corner and the tyre pressure warning system told me to go home immediately...

Bugger. Got to find somewhere to get it fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I must confess I do like the bobber, forward controls for my knees and easy on the wrists appeals to me now but the wife has told me it’s a selfish bike as she likes to come along once in a while. Im still contemplating the speedmaster that I can make a single seat... that might be the way forward?
    Hmmm.

I'm sure when I looked at the configurator (and/or accessory catalogue) recently that forward controls were on there for the bobber but I can't find them now

Master

Fun V twin

Interested in thoughts on my next bike purchase, which is to be a V twin. Sold my Honda SP2 years ago and always regretted it, not least as they start at £9k now which doesn’t fit in with my philosophy of having a few older bikes at the £2-£4K range rather than eggs all in one basket with a £10k plus new one. So...thinking a Honda firestorm in that get a decent one circa £2k, upgrade the fork springs and MCT treatment for the shock, braided lines and should be fine for weekend road use. Or...double the spend for an earlyish Aprilia Tuono, which is far better spec but due to age would likely need the forks and shock looking at anyway. Just a bit of weekend or summer evening riding fun, no distances involved, doubt I would do more than 1500 miles in a year on it.

never ridden either, but generally a Honda man...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

Despite being completely different from every bike I’ve ever owned, and totally against the grain for me as I much prefer sports and sports tourers, I have to admit, that the Bobber with forward controls and my crappy old legs is working out a treat...
    I’ve done well over 1600 miles since Oct and enjoyed every one. It’s just a fun bike to ride...

Unlike you my Mrs has no interest on being pillion, (she has a full license) so if the mood take her she can just take the Bobber by herself..

But I like the idea of being able to take a pillion if I wanted, so I’ve looked at the Speedmaster, but with a Bobber spec..

Something like this could fit the bill...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Hmmm.

I'm sure when I looked at the configurator (and/or accessory catalogue) recently that forward controls were on there for the bobber but I can't find them now
    It’s there still👍👍

That’s exactly it Enoch... hopefully the best of both worlds, solo and pillion... with no knackered knees and wrecked wrists. Even the Triumph ST1050 I had was too much for me now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Interested in thoughts on my next bike purchase, which is to be a V twin. Sold my Honda SP2 years ago and always regretted it, not least as they start at £9k now which doesn’t fit in with my philosophy of having a few older bikes at the £2-£4K range rather than eggs all in one basket with a £10k plus new one. So...thinking a Honda firestorm in that get a decent one circa £2k, upgrade the fork springs and MCT treatment for the shock, braided lines and should be fine for weekend road use. Or...double the spend for an earlyish Aprilia Tuono, which is far better spec but due to age would likely need the forks and shock looking at anyway. Just a bit of weekend or summer evening riding fun, no distances involved, doubt I would do more than 1500 miles in a year on it.

I sold my white Castrol 2003 4K mile SP2 just 6 months ago. It as a lovely bike in concours condition with Ohlins, but she was worth more to a collector than me. As a V-twin man myself, I had a gen 2 Tuono Factory in Dream Black that was a dream to ride. Huge fun, and the Rotax Vtwin was bulletproof. Sadly the same can’t be said of the electrics unless you only ever ride her in the dry. It is one of the most fun bikes I have had the pleasure of owning and riding... took her on multiple road trips into Europe too. Worth a look

The old girl
    Last edited by spareparts; 2nd March 2019 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I was all set to go for a bit of a ride this afternoon. Rode around the corner and the tyre pressure warning system told me to go home immediately...

Looks well-squared-off......... Get a good deal on a new tyre?

Have to say - I’ve always viewed the Firestorm as being a budget bike. Now - it might be improved dramatically by suspension work?

Tuono is an open-road bike, like the Mille, SP1/SP2, BMW SP2s etc. Firestorm is a bit more forgiving though.

I’d buy a Firestorm if cheap enough, but I think they are a chore to get rid of......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Have to say - I’ve always viewed the Firestorm as being a budget bike. Now - it might be improved dramatically by suspension work?

Tuono is an open-road bike, like the Mille, SP1/SP2, BMW SP2s etc. Firestorm is a bit more forgiving though.

I’d buy a Firestorm if cheap enough, but I think they are a chore to get rid of......
    I guess it is, certainly now. I always sort the handling on my bikes as exploiting engine bhp is best left to the racers, so I reckon with sorted forks and shock it’s pretty good for the real world. I am not a huge fan of the 150hp plus bikes for the road as so top end of of that power is not usable without consequences, legal or otherwise. I am more interested in working the gears a bit rather then finding myself at 100mph + in third...

From the pic, side by by side comparison, Tuono wins hands down - Honda man wavering !

- - - Updated - - -

I sold my white Castrol 2003 4K mile SP2 just 6 months ago. It as a lovely bike in concours condition with Ohlins, but she was worth more to a collector than me. As a V-twin man myself, I had a gen 2 Tuono Factory in Dream Black that was a dream to ride. Huge fun, and the Rotax Vtwin was bulletproof. Sadly the same can’t be said of the electrics unless you only ever ride her in the dry. It is one of the most fun bikes I have had the pleasure of owning and riding... took her on multiple road trips into Europe too. Worth a look

The old girl
    Ok - I want one !

I nearly bought a firestorm when they were first released; the local Honda dealer had a demonstrator with a pair of termis fitted. It sounded awesome and went well.

I didn’t buy one in the end but I’d certainly consider one if cheap enough. With a little suspension work it’d still be a great (if thirsty) road bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Looks well-squared-off......... Get a good deal on a new tyre?
    Possibly, although the tyre has only done 2300 miles. Let’s see what the tyre guy recommends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Anakee3 on a GS?

Who doesn't love a bike, eh? I've been watching this thread for a while, but had nothing to contribute up until now...

It's Triumph day at Jacks Hill Café (just north of Towcester in Northants) 7th July.

I'll be there on my little moped, if anybody else fancies a watch-meet on bikes?

(Not my actual bike, I don't seem to have any snaps with me at the moment, but it's the same bike)

That sounds like it could be a goer, Mark. Will there be room for anyone else in the car park, though?

It’s a transport cafe Tony, they’re used to lorries!

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    It’s a transport cafe Tony, they’re used to lorries!

Good to know, but why did I call you Mark?

I’ve no idea, but I’ve been called worse, so just went with it :)

Master
    Anakee3 on a GS?
    Yes - although only a little GS (F750).

Craftsman
    Who doesn't love a bike, eh? I've been watching this thread for a while, but had nothing to contribute up until now...

It's Triumph day at Jacks Hill Café (just north of Towcester in Northants) 7th July.

I'll be there on my little moped, if anybody else fancies a watch-meet on bikes?

(Not my actual bike, I don't seem to have any snaps with me at the moment, but it's the same bike)

It’s a great place. We always meet there before MotoGP at Silverstone. There’s a sign behind the counter that says something along the lines of “hundreds of people have eaten here and gone on to live normal lives” which always makes me chuckle.

I’ve no idea, but I’ve been called worse, so just went with it :)

Maybe you could organise another ride-out? You're also welcome to join the one taking place on the 24th of this month, btw

Quick question - does anyone use either a Sena 10C or a 10C Pro on their helmet ()?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quick question - does anyone use either a Sena 10C or a 10C Pro on their helmet ()?
    Sorry, SMH10 or SM10H on my older helmet and S20 on my current. However if I needed another helmet or or intercom I would only look at Sena.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry, SMH10 or SM10H on my older helmet and S20 on my current. However if I needed another helmet or or intercom I would only look at Sena.
    You may be able to help me, actually.

I've been tearing my hair out having just bought the 10C Pro, only to find that I couldn't update the firmware (I was getting the "device not recognised, can't open the USB" message). I repeatedly downloaded the Device Manager app to my Mac; rebooted, rebooted and rebooted again; and used multiple cables. All to no avail. In the end I had an exchange of emails with a really helpful guy in Support. At the end of a fruitless process of elimination, he asked my what USB ports I had on my Mac, because - unbelievably - the camera apparently won't connect over anything other than USB 2.0!!!

I found this hard to believe considering my Mac dates all the way back to mid-2012 and yet still utilises USB 3.0, but I thought I'd better check. Luckily, I have an even older computer that I was able to hook the Sena up to and, sure enough, I found that by using a USB 2.0 port the camera was immediately recognised and the firmware was then successfully updated.

I'm still completely dumbstruck, but really just wanted to somehow confirm with other users that this is in fact correct. Or, perhaps, it's just a Mac issue and not something that affects PC users?

Puzzling, to say the least, as the 10C Pro has only just been released and USB 3.0 was introduced (I believe) around late 2011/early 2012!

You may be able to help me, actually.

I've been tearing my hair out having just bought the 10C Pro, only to find that I couldn't update the firmware (I was getting the "device not recognised, can't open the USB" message). I repeatedly downloaded the Device Manager app to my Mac; rebooted, rebooted and rebooted again; and used multiple cables. All to no avail. In the end I had an exchange of emails with a really helpful guy in Support. At the end of a fruitless process of elimination, he asked my what USB ports I had on my Mac, because - unbelievably - the camera apparently won't connect over anything other than USB 2.0!!!

I found this hard to believe considering my Mac dates all the way back to mid-2012 and yet still utilises USB 3.0, but I thought I'd better check. Luckily, I have an even older computer that I was able to hook the Sena up to and, sure enough, I found that by using a USB 2.0 port the camera was immediately recognised and the firmware was then successfully updated.

I'm still completely dumbstruck, but really just wanted to somehow confirm with other users that this is in fact correct. Or, perhaps, it's just a Mac issue and not something that affects PC users?

Puzzling, to say the least, as the 10C Pro has only just been released and USB 3.0 was introduced (I believe) around late 2011/early 2012!
    I've had that BS before. Sounds super stupid but try a different USB cable. The cable that came with a work Nokia turns out only does power not data so it kept failing on me so I tried two different USB cables and one was good quality and could handle both power and data and it updated fine.

If you're still stuck reset to factory first have a fresh restart of your computer then try.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've had that BS before. Sounds super stupid but try a different USB cable. The cable that came with a work Nokia turns out only does power not data so it kept failing on me so I tried two different USB cables and one was good quality and could handle both power and data and it updated fine.

If you're still stuck reset to factory first have a fresh restart of your computer then try.
    I've actually tried about 4 cables, including the one in the box. Not tried a factory reset, though, so I'll give that a go as it's the only thing I've not done!

Master
    20S for me - compatible with the 10's if you're thinking of pairing them for the ride.

Edit: now I see why you are asking. No help I'm sure but i have always updated my Sena's using a Mac. Do you have the latest version of the device manager installed?

Also, some devices must be switched on when connected and some switched off, if you have it the wrong way round the device isn't recognised. The 20s must be switched off when connected but I think the 10c must be switched on.

https://firmware.sena.com/senabluetoothmanager/SenaBluetoothDeviceManagerForWindowsHelp/Contents/Resources/English/device_recognition_failure.html
    Last edited by berin; 3rd March 2019 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    20S for me - compatible with the 10's if you're thinking of pairing them for the ride.
    That would be fun, but I was actually trying to resolve the issue described above. I will be shooting some footage on mine during our ride, though, and would definitely like to try pairing it with some others on the day

Edit: now I see why you are asking. No help I'm sure but i have always updated my Sena's using a Mac. Do you have the latest version of the device manager installed?

Also, some devices must be switched on when connected and some switched off, if you have it the wrong way round the device isn't recognised. The 20s must be switched off when connected but I think the 10c must be switched on.

https://firmware.sena.com/senabluetoothmanager/SenaBluetoothDeviceManagerForWindowsHelp/Contents/Resources/English/device_recognition_failure.html
    Yeah, everything has been done by the book, using the latest version of the DM. I'll try the reset, and if that doesn't work then it's looking like I'm just going to have to use my old 2008 laptop to apply firmware updates

Tony, I have the 20S and did update the firmware when I first got it, no problem with Win10 - if you’re over this way at all, I’d be happy to try yours on my laptop.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Me and my mates use the Interphone Tour. Its an amazing bit of kit, connects to everything I’ve needed, phone, sat nav, has a good range between bikes and is crystal clear. Game changer for me.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Tony, I have the 20S and did update the firmware when I first got it, no problem with Win10 - if you’re over this way at all, I’d be happy to try yours on my laptop.

Thanks very much. I've actually updated it using an old Windows 7 laptop that has USB 2,0 ports. I'll try the factory reset trick and see if that helps, otherwise I guess I'll be looking to Sena to sort something out for me.

The old girl
    Amazing bike.
    Had mine for 11 years. Loved every mile on it.
    Mine was one of the highest spec'd bikes in the UK.
    Left the motor alone though...everything else though...

Master
    I sold my white Castrol 2003 4K mile SP2 just 6 months ago. It as a lovely bike in concours condition with Ohlins, but she was worth more to a collector than me. ...
    So I dug up a pic of the SP2 as a trip down memory lane...

(we need more pics on this thread :) )

Craftsman
    That Aprillia is gorgeous!!

Master

I'v had a SP1. I too regret selling that bike, but I couldn't fit more bikes in the garage. I had it for about 65000KM's. Super cool bike and it sounds awesome. The funfactor is better than my current Fireblade.

I read that Honda doesn't sell OEM parts for the SP1 (and 2?) anymore?

Here is a picture of my old bike.

Master

Cool

So I dug up a pic of the SP2 as a trip down memory lane...

(we need more pics on this thread :) )
    Sweet ride!

Master
    Thanks very much. I've actually updated it using an old Windows 7 laptop that has USB 2,0 ports. I'll try the factory reset trick and see if that helps, otherwise I guess I'll be looking to Sena to sort something out for me.
    Plus plenty of people report issues connecting on Windows too. The connection issue seems to be a bit random, but as above it’s worked fine on my Mac with USB 3 ports on several Sena devices. I do recall having a faff and maybe having to reinstall the Sena device manager and connecting direct to the Mac rather than via a usb extender a couple of times though.
    Anyway, glad it’s sorted. Now you’re on the latest firmware it might be worth plugging back into your Mac and see if it’s recognised.

Plus plenty of people report issues connecting on Windows too. The connection issue seems to be a bit random, but as above it’s worked fine on my Mac with USB 3 ports on several Sena devices. I do recall having a faff and maybe having to reinstall the Sena device manager and connecting direct to the Mac rather than via a usb extender a couple of times though.
    Anyway, glad it’s sorted. Now you’re on the latest firmware it might be worth plugging back into your Mac and see if it’s recognised.
    Tried that too, and sadly no change! It does seem to me that whist Sena products are fantastic the software platforms that support them are less so.