closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 266 of 358 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316 ... LastLast
Results 13,251 to 13,300 of 17895

Thread: More bike related stuff

Took a run around Kielder today……. Talking to the owner of this beauty

A guy turned up on an R1250GS, and just took 5 photos of his own bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'll decide whether to take that bet after I've actually had the Harley for a week or two. That said, given that it looks like this...

... you may want to think again
    It’s very nice Tony, not really my thing though.

That 851 pictured after yours on the other hand, is exactly my kind of bike. Not that I could probably ride it for more than five minutes without getting cramp everywhere!

If the Livewire was at a more affordable price, I’d buy that. But then again, it’s not really what you’d call a Harley is it?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Absolutely love that bike. When I was chopping and changing my collection, there was a mint 2k mile 851 in at the dealer who supplied my 1198S. I was seriously tempted to get the 851 over the 1198S, and just look at in the garage. When you look at the crazy prices of Ducati bikes that followed, in particular the 916, it seems criminally undervalued as the bike that saved the company and re-booted their sports bike image.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I probably should have kept my 851 given the way the prices have gone up in the last few years but to be honest, it wasn’t that nice to ride. Soggy suspension, not particularly quick, mediocre brakes and the foot pegs were so high I couldn’t have feet on pegs and arse on seat simultaneously. It looked good, but that was about it.

The one today, had fresh Maxton fork internals and a Maxton shock. New Brembo discs too. Think he bought it from the owner of MSC in Newcastle. He admitted that he was not a fast rider, but loved the bike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Absolutely love that bike. When I was chopping and changing my collection, there was a mint 2k mile 851 in at the dealer who supplied my 1198S. I was seriously tempted to get the 851 over the 1198S, and just look at in the garage. When you look at the crazy prices of Ducati bikes that followed, in particular the 916, it seems criminally undervalued as the bike that saved the company and re-booted their sports bike image.
    It did reboot the sportsbike image of Ducati mostly through Raymond Roche and Doug Polen winning three consecutive WSB titles. The Monster 900 saved the company.

I agree the 851 was massively undervalued though a few years back.

Master
    The one today, had fresh Maxton fork internals and a Maxton shock. New Brembo discs too. Think he bought it from the owner of MSC in Newcastle. He admitted that he was not a fast rider, but loved the bike.
    When you say MSC do you mean M & S Motorcycles? Guy that owns it is Ian Myers. So that 851 could be my old one. I bought it new in 1990 sold it to Ian in 1994 if memory serves me well

Scenic route home from the office today....

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s very nice Tony, not really my thing though.

That 851 pictured after yours on the other hand, is exactly my kind of bike. Not that I could probably ride it for more than five minutes without getting cramp everywhere!

If the Livewire was at a more affordable price, I’d buy that. But then again, it’s not really what you’d call a Harley is it?
    Errr, no!

Anyway, could sir be tempted without panniers and nose fairing? It becomes almost... well, sleek.

I'll decide whether to take that bet after I've actually had the Harley for a week or two. That said, given that it looks like this...

... you may want to think again
    You only see the bike when you’re off it. They are fantastic bikes provided your bike usage and the roads you take match closely enough what they were built for.
    A box to tick in any case.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You only see the bike when you’re off it. They are fantastic bikes provided your bike usage and the roads you take match closely enough what they were built for.
    Fair point, although it ignores how a bike can make you feel when you're on it. That's a big part of the reason many of us ride.

I’ve been out on two decent length test rides on HDs now, one of which was on a Sport Glide. It’s actually quite nimble with such a low centre of gravity, and the ride itself is nothing short of glorious with those oodles of torque. I’m certainly not in the sports bike camp anyway, and I think this will suit me down to the ground for a good while, especially as I spend most of my time and decent A and B roads.

I’m beside my self with excitement, but the wait is killing me. I’ve also just realised that I started this thread about four years ago. Unbelievable!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th August 2022 at 05:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    When I follow y mate on his Harley it’s perfect clear when it likes to go - and where he struggles - roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    When you say MSC do you mean M & S Motorcycles? Guy that owns it is Ian Myers. So that 851 could be my old one. I bought it new in 1990 sold it to Ian in 1994 if memory serves me well

Sorry, yes- M&S in Newcastle.

Think this owner has had it for a couple of months only.

H943 ATY
    Last edited by blackal; 11th August 2022 at 18:36.

Master
    Fair point. I’ve been out on two decent length test rides on HDs now, one of which was on a Sport Glide. It’s actually quite nimble with such a low centre of gravity, and the ride itself is nothing short of glorious with those oodles of torque. I’m certainly not in the sports bike camp, and I think this will suit me down to the ground for a good while, especially as I spend most of my time and decent A and B roads.

I’m beside my self with excitement, but the wait is killing me. I’ve also just realised that I started this thread about four years ago. Unbelievable!
    Tony go test ride a Diavel and an X Diavel. Take them down your favourite A and B Roads. You’ll be amazed

Master
    Sorry, yes- M&S in Newcastle.

Think this owner has had it for a couple of months only.
    I’ve not seen Ian for a while so don’t know if he’d got my old bike back in again or not. I know he’s sold it and bought it back on more than a few occasions

I’ve not seen Ian for a while so don’t know if he’d got my old bike back in again or not. I know he’s sold it and bought it back on more than a few occasions

I put the reg plate in the post above

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    When I follow y mate on his Harley it’s perfect clear when it likes to go - and where he struggles - roundabouts
    Funnily enough, the guy at the dealership who sold me the bike had just had an off on a roundabout! I’ve been warned.

Tony go test ride a Diavel and an X Diavel. Take them down your favourite A and B Roads. You’ll be amazed
    I’ve tested the 1260S and it was so good that I nearly bought it, even though I knew it was the wrong bike for me. I’d say the Sport Glide is far more versatile, although ideally I’d have both, plus one or two others!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    £50 for the fundraiser says that you’re back on a triumph within twelve months.
    I think you could be onto something there.

After 2x Harley's, when I got my last Triumph afterwards, it was a revelation.
    The Harley's are built for the long wide straight American roads which we are significantly short of up here.....

Cheers,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

The Harley's are built for the long wide straight American roads which we are significantly short of up here.....

Cheers,

Adam.
    Depends on what Harley you’re on. Mine will be perfect for the winding A and B roads I’m normally on, and is actually more handy than you’d expect when it comes to filtering.

That said, I do like a Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Lovely.

I took mine out today for a run as it has been a bit neglected of late. Love it.
    Thanks, I’m like a kid at Christmas… just two more sleeps!

I’m looking forward to a few simple mods. Bar end mirrors and a tail tidy to start. Is yours the R&G, it seems to be the only one I can find where you can utilise the grab rail.

Master

More bike related stuff

I put the reg plate in the post above
    Not mine but thank you Al

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

I’m looking forward to a few simple mods. Bar end mirrors and a tail tidy to start. Is yours the R&G, it seems to be the only one I can find where you can utilise the grab rail.
    Yes, the R&G as also wanted to keep the grab rail. Easy enough to install and a decent quality.

Enjoy your new bike day!

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Cheers,

Adam.
    You only have to watch the Harley Gymkhana videos to see they go round corners fine if you're a capable rider. It's no sportsbike but i certainly have no problems on mini roundabouts on the Fat Bob.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...a3y6nHaO9Yvuli

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    You only have to watch the Harley Gymkhana videos to see they go round corners fine if you're a capable rider. It's no sportsbike but i certainly have no problems on mini roundabouts on the Fat Bob.
    Those gymkhanas are really a display of riding accuracy rather than evidence of a motorcycles great handling. Admittedly you'd have to be a competent rider to successfully complete one of those courses but it doesn't display much about the bikes handling apart from it can successfully complete tight turns.

Master

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...a3y6nHaO9Yvuli
    No real feet 1st models shown though
    I’m not sure of his model (I’m no Harley fan) but I think maybe it’s a fat Bob
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 12th August 2022 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    No real feet 1st models shown though
    I’m not sure of his model (I’m no Harley fan) but I think maybe it’s a fat Bob
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Lowrider (107ci)

Funnily enough, the guy at the dealership who sold me the bike had just had an off on a roundabout! I’ve been warned.
    But that was all to do with a BMW X5 driver, and nothing to do with the roundabout or bike.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    But that was all to do with a BMW X5 driver, and nothing to do with the roundabout or bike.
    Good point, and par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post

Enjoy it mate!

Kinda` warm out`n`about this afternoon, going quicker just turned the hair dryer affect up a level. I really do need to remove the thermal liner from my jacket....

Did manage my `Test Valley loop` with the usual stop-off at the eel traps at Leckford.

Aiming for the coast tomorrow where i`m going to attempt a swim in the sea. I don`t think the water will feel quite as warm as our usual holiday seas but what the hell, it`ll be invogorating. And then a tasty ploughmans at a New Forest pub on the way back...

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Kinda` warm out`n`about this afternoon, going quicker just turned the hair dryer affect up a level. I really do need to remove the thermal liner from my jacket....
    You're riding with a thermal liner? WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Enjoy it mate!
    Thanks Matt, I will. The ride out to your holiday destination looked amazing.

Indeed.

What do you wear when it's cold?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Those gymkhanas are really a display of riding accuracy rather than evidence of a motorcycles great handling. Admittedly you'd have to be a competent rider to successfully complete one of those courses but it doesn't display much about the bikes handling apart from it can successfully complete tight turns.
    I never suggested it handles like a sports bike. Just replying to the post saying they couldn't traverse roundabouts very well. The Fat Bob 114 is my first and only Harley in 30 years of bikes and it handles just fine. The engine and gearbox is lovely. I also own a R1200GS and the engine and gearbox is truly agricultural. That being said, if you take it off road, which I do, it just works amazingly well and serves its purpose brilliantly. It's far more capable than I am.

Out for a 150 mile spin in the sun earlier.

Weather was fantastic...

Traditional Glenshee photo taken.

Cheers,

Adam.

Weeellll, it hasn`t been that hot up until recently, has it?!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Indeed.

What do you wear when it's cold?
    Four layers on top + heated waistcoat, heated feet, heated grips and heated seat.....

Anyway, the cold weather is months ahead - let`s enjoy the summer while it`s here.
    That Shakespeare dude got it right - summers lease hath all too short a date...

GS owners are a funny breed (I have one).
    Rode to Spain earlier in the year and one guy on a brand new R1250gs still had the sticky cellophane type stuff attached to all the plastic. Even the panniers! A bit like a Rolex safe queen still in stickers.
    That aside, the 851 is stunning and what I'd call a true grail. My dream bike would be an 888 but I really would just put it in the living room where the TV goes so I could share at it.
    Last edited by manganr; 12th August 2022 at 16:57.

Rode to Spain earlier in the year and one guy on a brand new R1250gs still had the sticky cellophane type stuff attached to all the plastic. Even the panniers! A bit like a Rolex safe queen still in stickers.
    That aside, the 851 is stunning and what I'd call a true grail. My dream bike would be an 888 but I really would just put it in the living room where the TV goes so I could share at it.
    That's hysterical, Ray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    While Harley’s are most definitely not sports bikes, they can hustle in the right hands, for example:

https://youtu.be/BFzhc3i0PRY

But then you’ve got a Harley doing what it’s most famous for when you push them

https://youtu.be/G3EtX43OSr4

I think the moral of this story is to make sure you ride a Harley well within its limits, don’t try and pretend it’s something it isn’t.

Having said that, I have a mate with a 1200 sportster and he rides that like he stole it, and he’s genuinely quick on it. I have another mate with a Road King, he’d like to ride that like he stole it, but quick it ain’t, probably due to being massively over sprung and over damped at the rear and woefully under sprung and under damped at the front and the two halves are held together by bits of rubber (literally).
    I remember when I bought the Street Bob, and shortly after went out with a friend who had a Fazer at the time. We were only going about 20 miles, to a cafe we used to frequent when we had more hair but less money. When we got there he said he never realised a Harley could accelerate out of the corners that quickly. I think up until then he thought he would be riding with something with the performance of a C15.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

Did manage my `Test Valley loop` with the usual stop-off at the eel traps at Leckford.

Aiming for the coast tomorrow where i`m going to attempt a swim in the sea. I don`t think the water will feel quite as warm as our usual holiday seas but what the hell, it`ll be invogorating. And then a tasty ploughmans at a New Forest pub on the way back...
    Sea was lovely at Milford-on-sea today…..

Should anyone be looking for a learner bike (or know someone who is), by son's CB125F is listed for sale here (and will go on Gumtree later today). It's a decent bike, and is unlikely to lose money at the price listed; however, happy to offer it on TZ for £1500.

Sure it wasn't ppf? I have it on mine, but you would have to look closely to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Sure it wasn't ppf? I have it on mine, but you would have to look closely to tell.
    No, this was a fully stickered new bike. The plastic was kind of loose around the perimeter ready for peeling off before use. I get that people like to care for their bikes and it was clearly brand new but if you're going to take it to Spain (which incidentally was the worst weather I've experienced on a bike in my life, (rain, snow, massive hailstones etc) then at some point it's gonna get dirty.
    While I do look after my bikes I'm definitely in the 'ride it, enjoy it and use it for its intended purpose ' camp.

No, this was a fully stickered new bike. The plastic was kind of loose around the perimeter ready for peeling off before use. I get that people like to care for their bikes and it was clearly brand new but if you're going to take it to Spain (which incidentally was the worst weather I've experienced on a bike in my life, (rain, snow, massive hailstones etc) then at some point it's gonna get dirty.
    While I do look after my bikes I'm definitely in the 'ride it, enjoy it and use it for its intended purpose ' camp.
    That is just slightly bizarre.

No, this was a fully stickered new bike. The plastic was kind of loose around the perimeter ready for peeling off before use.
    I'd say leaving it on was potentially counterproductive for him. If dust and grit gets between the loose edges and whatever panel is being protected abrasion will be the result.

which incidentally was the worst weather I've experienced on a bike in my life, (rain, snow, massive hailstones etc
    You want to spend a summers day riding in the Yorkshire Dales!

Master
    Wheres Tony ( LTF) is he that busy with the carnuba wax and solvol to grace our forum. We need photos otherwise it didnt happen.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Wheres Tony ( LTF) is he that busy with the carnuba wax and solvol to grace our forum. We need photos otherwise it didnt happen.
    LOL! Friday 9am, Steve, and I'll be going straight out on a bit of a Harley-fest with Howard (who's currently sulking because his Sport Glide only has a stage 1 ).

There will be photos, I promise!

Master
    LOL! Friday 9am, Steve, and I'll be going straight out on a bit of a Harley-fest with Howard (who's currently sulking because his Sport Glide only has a stage 1 ).

There will be photos, I promise!
    Apologies T ,I thought collection was last Friday :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Apologies T ,I thought collection was last Friday :)
    I wish - the waiting is killing me! I'm still using the Tiger (and am about to pop out on it for a coffee and a bite of breakfast), but I feel emotionally disassociated from it so it's not quite the same experience.

Shropshire yesterday to photograph this one for BSH.

Worcester today to do an Indian Larry tribute and a GSXR chop. Good to have some return to normal, I used to be doing this 7 days a week for most of the year, but the chinky flu put paid to most of it so now I make the most of the jobs I do get.