closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 152 of 354 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,600 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Of course. There was no road snobbery implied in my post, as I fully acknowledge that the pleasure is first and foremost in the riding.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Of course. There was no road snobbery implied in my post, as I fully acknowledge that the pleasure is first and foremost in the riding.
    Of course not, and I realised that - I was referring to a somewhat undiplomatic earlier post.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm struggling to find the regs. Any pointers?
    Here are the UK MOT regulations for lighting.
    I didn't see anything about minimum height? Just beam pattern
    Probably missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Here are the UK MOT regulations for lighting.
    I didn't see anything about minimum height? Just beam pattern
    Probably missed it.
    I suspect the MOT regs don't state what the regs are, just that the regs have to be met, so as to avoid replicating the information in detail every time it changes

The lighting regs 1989 are fairly tricky to follow. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

That section that appears to be relevant - schedule 5, part I, para 2 only suggests that a single lamp is required and must be centrally mounted, or if there are additional headlamps they must be fitted in matched pairs symmetrically about the centre.

There does appear to be a lot more stringent rules regarding positioning of fog lights, position lamps (side lights) etc. though for fog lamps for example there is no minimum height but there is a maximum of 1200mm. That's quite a range.

That makes sense - the ones that are there to allow others to see the vehicle are strictly controlled, whereas the ones that allow the driver to see where they are going are a little more flexible, but their operation/position must adhere to regulation 27 whereby it is prohibited to be "used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road"

Anyway, this little little wander into the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations has convinced me that my additional head light set, which is fitted in a matched pair around the centre line of the vehicle, and dims significantly when the vehicle is on dipped beam meets the regulations. :-)

All I need to do now is use the bike when it's dark rather than just grabbing the car keys

Master
    If it comes to the worse, make it a weekend away and go and say hello to Enoch.
    If the worst comes to the worst?? How very dare you😈😈

Ill have you know that a weekend spent with Enoch will include rides over the best roads that North and Mid Wales have to offer,

All rides will include coffee stops in the many biker KAFFFS around here and the company of Enoch and probably Cinnabull.... its a win win for the forum bikers, especially our southern shandy drinking friends🤪🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    If the worst comes to the worst?? How very dare you

Ill have you know that a weekend spent with Enoch will include rides over the best roads that North and Mid Wales have to offer,

All rides will include coffee stops in the many biker KAFFFS around here and the company of Enoch and probably Cinnabull.... its a win win for the forum bikers, especially our southern shandy drinking friends浪邏

I meant it in a good way, mate. The photos you provide are a spectacular confirmation to the above. But it requires more planning than just a glance through the window to see what the weather's like...

If the worst comes to the worst?? How very dare you

All rides will include coffee stops in the many biker KAFFFS around here and the company of Enoch and probably Cinnabull.... its a win win for the forum bikers, especially our southern shandy drinking friends浪邏
    That almost sounds tempting

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That almost sounds tempting
    It's the shandy that keeps you interested, isn't it, Tony?

It's the shandy that keeps you interested, isn't it, Tony?
    Well, it's not the kafffs!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Of course not, and I realised that - I was referring to a somewhat undiplomatic earlier post.
    Hi Tony, if you were referring to my post re not using those roads, then absolutely no disrespect or upset meant. I get not everybody has daily access to what I term good biking roads. But Im sure there are alternatives to those narrow poorly surfaced ones somewhere down there. Its just a case of finding them. I use google maps as a source of new and exciting roads, doing a virtual drive down them. I have dismissed many recommended routes by doing this, because of some of the features similar to your route. Anyway, if it was my post I still stand by it, but soz for any hurt feelings, not my intention at all.

Hey but something else I thought about late on last night that may help Mark. Maybe on the curves try shifting your body across the saddle slightly, Im not talking hanging of MotoGP style here, try just a half a butt cheek toward the way you are turning. I think that may help get rid of the the rigid upright stance. As you get better and faster and confidence builds, you will find you can shift further.

However despite all the suggestions made by everyone, if you have lost the backend as stated, its probably either too much throttle, dodgy road surface or knackered tyres IMO. It can make you nervous and lose your mojo. The tyres thing is an easy fix, too much throttle is rider experience, and the other, well lets leave that there

But yeah like another poster has said, get up here and lets do a flirt round some top tarmac in North Wales, when allowed obviously. Im sure Enoch would be up for a little meet, I certainly would.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by cinnabull; 15th October 2020 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Hi Tony, if you were referring to my post re not using those roads, then absolutely no disrespect or upset meant. I get not everybody has daily access to what I term good biking roads. But Im sure there are alternatives to those narrow poorly surfaced ones somewhere down there. Its just a case of finding them. I use google maps as a source of new and exciting roads, doing a virtual drive down them. I have dismissed many recommended routes by doing this, because of some of the features similar to your route. Anyway, if it was my post I still stand by it, but soz for any hurt feelings, not my intention at all.

Hey but something else I thought about late on last night that may help Mark. Maybe on the curves try shifting your body across the saddle slightly, Im not talking hanging of MotoGP style here, try just a half a butt cheek toward the way you are turning. I think that may help get rid of the the rigid upright stance. As you get better and faster and confidence builds, you will find you can shift further.

However despite all the suggestions made by everyone, if you have lost the backend as stated, its probably either too much throttle, dodgy road surface or knackered tyres IMO. It can make you nervous and lose your mojo. The tyres thing is an easy fix, too much throttle is rider experience, and the other, well lets leave that there

But yeah like another poster has said, get up here and lets do a flirt round some top tarmac in North Wales, when allowed obviously. Im sure Enoch would be up for a little meet, I certainly would.

Stuart

No, not your post, Stuart - is was #7551, in fact. Anyway, no harm done and I'm about to head out on the bike so will leave it there

Master

I meant it in a good way, mate. The photos you provide are a spectacular confirmation to the above. But it requires more planning than just a glance through the window to see what the weather's like...
    I got what you meant mate..

More bike related stuff

Haha, top stuff Enoch. Yeah we are truly blessed with some good roads round here. Its not just the actual tarmac either, some of the scenery is just beautiful. The stretch from Bala to Barmouth has to be a good example of this. Anyway Tony/Mark and whoever else as Enoch has said, get your asses up here and try it. To be honest though, with the nights drawing in, wetter weather likely, and now covid restrictions, maybe better to wait till next year in the sun?

Stuart

Last edited by cinnabull; 15th October 2020 at 10:15.

Haha, top stuff Enoch. Yeah we are truly blessed with some good roads round here. Its not just the actual tarmac either, some of the scenery is just beautiful. The stretch from Bala to Barmouth has to be a good example of this. Anyway Tony/Mark and whoever else as Enoch has said, get your asses up here and try it. To be honest though, with the nights drawing in, wetter weather likely, and now covid restrictions, maybe better to wait till next year in the sun?

Stiart

Actually, that sounds like a plan!

...get up here and lets do a flirt round some top tarmac in North Wales, when allowed obviously. Im sure Enoch would be up for a little meet, I certainly would.

Stuart
    I might be tempted out too and would certainly join in a Matlock weekend if that's ever on the cards again once this pesky Covid clears off.

p.s. I don't want to start a game of 'Road Top Trumps' but...

every sunny Sunday I reckon 100+ bikes go past my front door and those are the ones not using the Cat & Fiddle road which starts about a mile away.

Master
    Actually, that sounds like a plan!
    Im sure we could sort something out next year, when hopefully things will be a little more normal...

A long weekend in Wales would do everyone a bit of good👍🥃

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    p.s. I don't want to start a game of 'Road Top Trumps' but...

every sunny Sunday I reckon 100+ bikes go past my front door and those are the ones not using the Cat & Fiddle road which starts about a mile away.
    Not done the Cat for years now, no reason actually just never got round to it. Has it been camerad now? Sure I saw something about it having av speed cams on it, or was that somewhere else?

Stuart

Im sure we could sort something out next year, when hopefully things will be a little more normal...

A long weekend in Wales would do everyone a bit of good👍🥃
    AMEN to that bro!

Stuart

Not done the Cat for years now, no reason actually just never got round to it. Has it been camerad now? Sure I saw something about it having av speed cams on it, or was that somewhere else?

Stuart
    It now has a 50mph speed limit on most of it and average speed cameras. I might be wrong but they weren't working for years but I think they are now. I think the issue was that there is a shortcut (past the Stanley Arms) which is also a 60mph limit which rendered the average speed calculation inaccurate.

It now has a 50mph speed limit on most of it and average speed cameras. I might be wrong but they weren't working for years but I think they are now. I think the issue was that there is a shortcut (past the Stanley Arms) which is also a 60mph limit which rendered the average speed calculation inaccurate.
    Its a shame that. Mind you. I suppose they are there for a reason, it was a good road to get a bit of a scoot on as I remember. Wasn't there also an issue some years back with some dodgy farmer putting diesel down on the bends to slow the bikes down, or again, was that somewhere else.

Stuart

............from riding behind you for quite a few miles - you were very upright on some of the corners............
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Basically softly softly does it in poor conditions. If the roads are slippery (wet, wet and rubber after dry spell then rain, mud, diesel, gravel, leaves, manhole covers etc etc) applying too much throttle or lean, or both and it's only going one way.
    ............the correct speed for you and your bike on a given road is the one at which you feel comfortable, in control, and able to stop should an emergency arise .............
    ...........I would NOT have chosen those roads. To me, they were in the main, poorly surfaced, pot holed, way too narrow, lots of debris on them and wet/damp....... Find a nice sweepy section of your chosen route and go over it a few times, enjoy it, getting faster each time, not ballistic, just comfy fast.

Maybe its a mental thing with them tyres, .............Are they worn, flattened or whatever.

Just go out on your own, on a dry day, on bigger roads that you know, and get your mojo back.
    Mark, some of those roads we were out on would test anyone - it's the problem when using Calimoto, as even the moderate twisty routes can throw up the odd green lane, etc. Nothing wrong with being careful, and I'll happily join you on some nice gentle bimbles if you think it'll help you get your mojo back.
    Having said that, you of course both have a point. With suitable bikes (scramblers) on suitable tyres (road-trail mix) you probably have some gem rides, mixing road, lanes and paths.
    Thanks for all the great advice and positive comments guys, really appreciated. (big thumbs up to those that PM'd me too )

Some further clarity on some of the points raised.

The route - can't blame about anyone else as I plotted that route . It was done in a bit of a hurry, but as it was literally on-my-doorstep, I am very familiar with those roads as both a motorcyclist and cyclist. Maybe that familiarity, coupled with knowing what they would be like after the recent weather contributed to my tentativeness somewhat.

I do quite like those mixed lanes too......probably why I have a scrambler.

My tyres - these have only done 1,500 miles so don't need changing yet.....I like the dual purpose nature of the Metzeler Tourance too so don't fancy more road biased tyres really. It is a scrambler after all. (in my head I see myself as Steve McQueen in 'On Any Sunday' and not Valentino Rossi).

Me - the two back end losses I referred to were both due to loose surfaces (gravel) on corners, on lanes just like these.

Going forwards, taking onboard a mix of the advice I have received I intend to do the following;

- get out more often, on my own, in good weather on better roads.
    - book onto an off-road riding course, to help with my flexibility on the bike and comfort on loose surfaces. And because I've always fancied it too.
    - book onto a Bikesafe course.....you can never stop learning.
    - take Tony up on his offer of riding more......you can never hear enough of that Thruxton R.......and he can film me being a 'Riding God' after I've done all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice and positive comments guys, really appreciated. (big thumbs up to those that PM'd me too )

The route - can't blame about anyone else as I plotted that route . It was done in a bit of a hurry, but as it was literally on-my-doorstep, I am very familiar with those roads as both a motorcyclist and cyclist. Maybe that familiarity, coupled with knowing what they would be like after the recent weather contributed to my tentativeness somewhat.

My tyres - these have only done 1,500 miles so don't need changing yet.....I like the dual purpose nature of the Metzeler Tourance too so don't fancy more road biased tyres really. It is a scrambler after all. (in my head I see myself as Steve McQueen in 'On Any Sunday' and not Valentino Rossi).

Me - the two back end losses I referred to were both due to loose surfaces (gravel) on corners, on lanes just like these.

Going forwards, taking onboard a mix of the advice I have received I intend to do the following;

- book onto an off-road riding course, to help with my flexibility on the bike and comfort on loose surfaces. And because I've always fancied it too.
    - take Tony up on his offer of riding more......you can never hear enough of that Thruxton R.......and he can film me being a 'Riding God' after I've done all of the above
    That's the spirit pal. Get that mojo back on dry roads and then you'll be fine.

Stuart

Its a shame that. Mind you. I suppose they are there for a reason, it was a good road to get a bit of a scoot on as I remember. Wasn't there also an issue some years back with some dodgy farmer putting diesel down on the bends to slow the bikes down, or again, was that somewhere else.
    I'm not sure if that was an urban myth or an accidental spill. From what I know of the farmers up there they won't be wasting good diesel by slinging it on the road.

Master
    Unfortunately we're not all blessed with being surrounded by good sweeping roads devoid of traffic, speed cameras and potholes. Riding in those environments is wonderful, but it's no more valid than navigating your way round Hyde Park Corner in rush hour every day, or indeed green-laning when the need arises. All take a different set of skills, and all are skills worth developing.
    I get that, but I was responding to the skmark who asked for tips on building his confidence and it's always going to be difficult riding a 200+KG bike on lanes more suited to a horse. To build confidence he's going to need to put the miles in on decent well surfaced roads first and avoid the mud covered lanes where possible. If that makes me a road snob then so be it.

It might say Scrambler on the tank and have tyres that vaguely resemble knobblies but that doesn't mean it's suitable for green laning. You'd have far more fun doing that on something with half of the weight and a third of the power along with proper off road or dual purpose tyres.

The off road course is a good idea and will give you a good feel for what a bike does when it breaks traction. You'll be exhausted by the end of it and hopefully not have too many bruises, but it will give you some valuable experiences.

The Bikesafe course is also good but in an IAM way, so also consider joining the local IAM club if that's your thing.

And of course, just get out and ride more, preferably when the conditions are good

Master
    They've definitely put average speed cameras on the Black Mountain Road in the Brecon Beacons - a favourite with car testers.

@ skymark and anyone else keen to improve their on road riding, can I most strongly recommend these guys

https://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/

I just did a single (full) day a few years ago now, tailored to making me safer but not (much) slower. I learned a lot. The instructor called me a hooligan but said he'd really enjoyed the day too.
    Last edited by andy tims; 15th October 2020 at 15:39.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I suspect the MOT regs don't state what the regs are, just that the regs have to be met, so as to avoid replicating the information in detail every time it changes

The lighting regs 1989 are fairly tricky to follow. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

That section that appears to be relevant - schedule 5, part I, para 2 only suggests that a single lamp is required and must be centrally mounted, or if there are additional headlamps they must be fitted in matched pairs symmetrically about the centre.

There does appear to be a lot more stringent rules regarding positioning of fog lights, position lamps (side lights) etc. though for fog lamps for example there is no minimum height but there is a maximum of 1200mm. That's quite a range.

That makes sense - the ones that are there to allow others to see the vehicle are strictly controlled, whereas the ones that allow the driver to see where they are going are a little more flexible, but their operation/position must adhere to regulation 27 whereby it is prohibited to be "used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road"

Anyway, this little little wander into the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations has convinced me that my additional head light set, which is fitted in a matched pair around the centre line of the vehicle, and dims significantly when the vehicle is on dipped beam meets the regulations. :-)

All I need to do now is use the bike when it's dark rather than just grabbing the car keys
    I have a pair of Denalis - fantastic lights ! Mine are attached at about axle height - they are wired into a delay relay so don't start for about 30 seconds (same as heated grips to keep load off the battery when starting) and have passed 2 MOTs now. That said my HID conversion (full projector inside the lamp) also passes so I think they are less pedantic than some might be.

Master
    That's the spirit pal. Get that mojo back on dry roads and then you'll be fine.

Stuart
    Plus 1 for this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    @ skymark and anyone else keen to improve their on road riding, can I most strongly recommend these guys

https://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/

I just did a single (full) day a few years ago now, tailored to making me safer but not (much) slower. I learned a lot. The instructor called me a Hoonigan but said he'd really enjoyed the day too.
    Andy fixed for you , having seen the Lotus videos!

Great advice btw

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    They've definitely put average speed cameras on the Black Mountain Road in the Brecon Beacons - a favourite with car testers.
    I was over there 2 weeks ago. There are no average speed cameras, but the posted speed limit is 40mph and they frequently use camera vans..

Master
    I definitely enjoy riding my bike on smaller roads and lanes, and a bit of grass on the centreline is always good. :D

As for cornering and confidence, I'd definitely recommend having a look at the IAM course - but I would say that. The course and IPSGA system strips it back to the bare essentials and builds it up from there. I definitely get a lot of confidence from using positioning, limit points and keeping the bike smooth by getting it set up before the corner - speed, gear, open throttle and all that.

Meanwhile, this afternoon on one the Peak Districts major highways...

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

That looks nice! What are the stock tyres, as a matter of interest?

Master
    That looks nice! What are the stock tyres, as a matter of interest?
    They are Metzeler Tourance. They are pretty good, and looks-wise they suit the bike. For my needs (95% on road) I think I could happily switch to something more road biased as these definitely tend to follow road imperfections and I notice tar strips etc.

On my GS, I have just had a second pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's fitted, which I reckon are great tyres for heavy "adventure" bikes that spend most of their lives on tarmac.

I will consider fitting Conti's to the Triumph when I eventually wear out the Metzeler's - although hopefully, that'll take a while.

They are Metzeler Tourance. They are pretty good, and looks-wise they suit the bike. For my needs (95% on road) I think I could happily switch to something more road biased as these definitely tend to follow road imperfections and I notice tar strips etc.

On my GS, I have just had a second pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's fitted, which I reckon are great tyres for heavy "adventure" bikes that spend most of their lives on tarmac.

I will consider fitting Conti's to the Triumph when I eventually wear out the Metzeler's - although hopefully, that'll take a while.
    Ah, thanks - I think they're on the R9T Scrambler and UGS too... seem quite well-regarded.

Ah, thanks - I think they're on the R9T Scrambler and UGS too... seem quite well-regarded.

CTA3 do seem to be a current favourite. I haven't used Tourance for a few years, but notwithstanding the noise (compared to a road tyre) - they have remained front-line and can be bought quite cheaply now.

The original pattern German-made - could get 6,000 miles out of a rear, and stuck well on the roads
    The Chinese produced original pattern- had the same grip levels, but I found they lasted around 5,000 miles. (some people claimed that they were noisier, but I reckon that was just posturing)

BUT - get rid of those dual-purpose tyres, and fit a decent pair of road tyres........... and you reach another level.

Master

I ran two pairs of Tourances on my F650GS, covering about 25,000 miles, the only criticism I had was they squared off a bit on the rear. I am now on my first set of Conti TA3s and to be quite honest whilst being a more road oriented tyre I cant discern any difference. Dont suppose this helps does it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I ran two pairs of Tourances on my F650GS, covering about 25,000 miles, the only criticism I had was they squared off a bit on the rear. I am now on my first set of Conti TA3s and to be quite honest whilst being a more road oriented tyre I cant discern any difference. Dont suppose this helps does it?
    I think there's a bunch of myth and self-delusion about tyres.

At the end of the day, if we find something that feels good on a particular bike, best stick with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    CTA3 do seem to be a current favourite. I haven't used Tourance for a few years, but notwithstanding the noise (compared to a road tyre) - they have remained front-line and can be bought quite cheaply now.

The original pattern German-made - could get 6,000 miles out of a rear, and stuck well on the roads
    The Chinese produced original pattern- had the same grip levels, but I found they lasted around 5,000 miles. (some people claimed that they were noisier, but I reckon that was just posturing)

BUT - get rid of those dual-purpose tyres, and fit a decent pair of road tyres........... and you reach another level.
    Ha ha, luxury!

Can remember having Avon SMs on the rear and Speedmasters on the fronts on my first bikes. When TT100s came out I had to have them and felt so confident with them!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

on the basis that new tyres always feel better than worn tyres.

At the end of the day, if we find something that feels good on a particular bike, best stick with it.
    Which is fine until the manufacturer stops making the tyre you love.

I so miss you Continental TKV-11 and TKV-12 :-(
    Last edited by Gyp; 15th October 2020 at 22:27.

Master

Exactly, get the buggers warm and they will all work. Its like riding in the rain its just in the head, 10% slower than in the dry is my rule of thought. Mind you none like hydraulic oil I tried.

Master
    I thought this thread could use a picture of the first Deus electric caf racer:

After my less than successful afternoon out on the R18, the new R1250RT looks far more "me"

The only slight catch is, having checked it out in the configurator, the setup I'd like is remarkably close to 25k.

Master
    After my less than successful afternoon out on the R18, the new R1250RT looks far more "me"

The only slight catch is, having checked it out in the configurator, the setup I'd like is remarkably close to 25k.
    Or maybe spend half the money on one of these , link copied from UKGSER

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...ered-1250tr-g/

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Or maybe spend half the money on one of these , link copied from UKGSER

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/4...ered-1250tr-g/
    Yep, that'd make more sense!

Master
    Blog Entries

Go and try Maxxis tyres they are dangerous.

Craftsman

New boots on the Reaper, changed from HD Dunflops to Avon Cobra Chrome. 150mile round trip to Ladybower reservoir to help scrub them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, this afternoon on one the Peak Districts major highways...
    Go on then, where are you? I can't spot any landmarks - I've been trying to work out where that water (reser) is but can't work it out.

Nice run out today - chillier than it looked though!

Master
    Go on then, where are you? I can't spot any landmarks - I've been trying to work out where that water (reser) is but can't work it out.
    On one of the side roads running towards Leek - almost adjacent to the A53. The water is Tittesworth Reservoir.