closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 66 of 354 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Tell us more!!!
    Not particularly exciting for most, but I do like to have hard luggage for trips and the luggage options for my Triumph Street Scrambler are somewhat limited.

Triumph do a single sided fabric "rugged pannier" which is strangely stylish and ideal for daily use, but nothing that's great for a longer trip.

To solve this little problem, my local metal magician has taken some Givi frames from my old Tiger 1050 and mated them with some discounted Triumph racks to make them fit the Scrambler.

In a "flexible" way...

nowt.

Rugged.

Givi top box

Rugged and top box

Givi side cases

Givi side cases and top box.

We're checking the top box position tomorrow and when that's spot on, it's off to the powder coaters.

Unfortunately as there's no mass produced solution and it's done by a local craftsman it's a touch more expensive.

I'll take some photos when it's complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    My work shirt was drenched when I got home! Not sure there’s much that can be done to cool off in this weather
    Rukka AirRider here and even I had a soaking back when I got home. Was so hot and sunny 1-3pm when I was on the bike that I couldn't even see the satnav on my phone. Usually wear a gym top under the jacket but couldn't find one this morning. UnderArmour do some amazing gym boxers which work wonders on the bike but can't find. Absolution to wet socks yet apart from carrying a spare pair for when I get to work.

Bought some super thin David ghandy t-shirts from Marks on the way home so will see how they are tomorrow.

I was out too, in the heat of the afternoon. By the time I got home again I had a soaking wet back (although the mesh jacket did its job elsewhere) and my socks were more than a little manky.

Surprisingly my head wasn't too bad, despite the fact that I was wearing an open face helmet that was completely unvented.
    What sort of mesh jacket did you go for Tony? I had a look in OYB yesterday as clearly I realised it’s something I need....I’m sure I was actually melting at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    What sort of mesh jacket did you go for Tony? I had a look in OYB yesterday as clearly I realised it’s something I need....I’m sure I was actually melting at one point.

Sorry to but in but honestly I would go for one of the Rukka air jackets.

Master
    I have just bought a Rukka AirVentur (or Forsair Pro Long, depending on the local market):

I found a lot of the other jackets too short (although that may just be me!). This one is excellent and does a great job. Of course, there are no miracles so if you get caught in a traffic jam with no filtering opportunities it will still feel warm, but as soon as a decent speed is reached it's like riding in a tee shirt. The only downside is that it's relatively expensive, but on the other hand, it should last for years.

Rev’it Eclipse. Inexpensive but a great jacket!

Riding in shorts and cotton shirt for me yesterday.... and the same again today (clean shirt, obvs) :D

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry to but in but honestly I would go for one of the Rukka air jackets.
    I picked up a Rukka Forsair jacket last week. It’s really good once moving, very well ventilated and makes riding in hot weather a much more pleasant experience. I’m not sure I’d want to bin it wearing one though, even with the d3o armour. It feels about as protective as a fleece but they are apparently abrasion resistant. Psychologically 2mm of cow hide makes a difference to me having road tested it, literally.

Tell us more!!!
    Getting there

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Getting there
    Blimey, you'll be able to get your weekly shop in that lot

Master
    Love the plate Gyp......but I’m thinking you might need this..🤪🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I picked up a Rukka Forsair jacket last week. It’s really good once moving, very well ventilated and makes riding in hot weather a much more pleasant experience. I’m not sure I’d want to bin it wearing one though, even with the d3o armour. It feels about as protective as a fleece but they are apparently abrasion resistant. Psychologically 2mm of cow hide makes a difference to me having road tested it, literally.
    Know what you mean although I've never had leathers I do have a full duty Rukka suit for the other 3 seasons but I think it would hold up well enough. Have tested a dianese air frame jacket literally and that left my back in not good shape at all. The back protector in it is tiny and you have to wear a separate massive forcefield protector if wearing one of those or you may as well not wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Love the plate Gyp......but I’m thinking you might need this..

Possibly. I'll measure it when it's done.

The widest bike I've owned to date was the BMW F650 single, which with the genuine BMW luggage was 110cm/47" wide.

I reckon this one will be close to that

Master
    Possibly. I'll measure it when it's done.

The widest bike I've owned to date was the BMW F650 single, which with the genuine BMW luggage was 110cm/47" wide.

I reckon this one will be close to that
    Im with you there Gyp when I had ARD ( metal mule look a likes) on my F650GS I really had to think about the left side when parking on the side stand to make sure I didnt clatter whatever was parked next to me!

Just got back from 3 weeks around Picos & Gorges du Verdon

Blog Entries
    Getting therehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190724/0b08ce928edf6aeb355edbe064a2d93d.jpg[/IMG]
    Jeez, hats off to you for improvisation but if I was going to take that much stuff, I'd rather have one of these I reckon.......

http://www.mono-trail.co.uk/trailers...l#.XTifMS3Mzvc
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Jeez, hats off to you for improvisation but if I was going to take that much stuff, I'd rather have one of these I reckon.......

http://www.mono-trail.co.uk/trailers...l#.XTifMS3Mzvc
    I've got a trailer that I tow behind my R80RT and yes, it is preferable (and narrower) than a bike with heavily loaded panniers.

But... getting the wiring done these days is a right pain, what with all the CANBUS stuff. And insuring bikes that tow is increasingly hard and expensive as so few do it.

Rev’it Eclipse. Inexpensive but a great jacket!
    Aha.....that’s the one I’ve been looking at! Saw it in the Buke Shed too. What’s it been like in the heat?

Blog Entries
    I've got a trailer that I tow behind my R80RT and yes, it is preferable (and narrower) than a bike with heavily loaded panniers.

But... getting the wiring done these days is a right pain, what with all the CANBUS stuff. And insuring bikes that tow is increasingly hard and expensive as so few do it.
    I can see your point, never thought of the wiring aspect or insurance.

Just the Harley and a bedroll then!

Aha.....that’s the one I’ve been looking at! Saw it in the Buke Shed too. What’s it been like in the heat?

As good as I could hope for, given the temperatures.

As good as I could hope for, given the temperatures.
    Does it come with a waterproof liner Tony? Need to get a mesh jacket ASAP before heading to the south of France next week! Thanks.

Rukka AirRider here and even I had a soaking back when I got home.
    Same question as to Tony , does it have a waterproof removable liner? Cheers!

Does it come with a waterproof liner Tony? Need to get a mesh jacket ASAP before heading to the south of France next week! Thanks.
    Afraid not, Matt.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Have a look at the RST Ventilator 5 textile jacket. It comes with both a waterproof and thermal liner. You can run any combo of the liners, and without them in you get good air flow. Has armour in as well, I have one and cant fault it,

Stuart

Same question as to Tony , does it have a waterproof removable liner? Cheers!
    Nope but you can buy a waterproof over if you like. In the heat it will be to wear that jacket waterproof liners will be the last thing on your mind.

Thanks guys will have a look. I know it’s not relevant for commuting, but having been caught in french thunderstorms before I need a removable waterproof option!

Master

Cool Me having a moan

Thanks guys will have a look. I know it’s not relevant for commuting, but having been caught in french thunderstorms before I need a removable waterproof option!
    Here's my t-shirt after the 35 min ride into work today. Jacket did its job and not a patch of sweat anywhere. However, the back protector isn't as well vented and I clearly picked the wrong t-shirt colour this morning... Barf.

Getting there
    Lovely work he is making - are you having one made for the other side ? I expect that one will go more flush and I am sure you have thought of some heatshield on the back of the box on the exhaust side ?

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Just got back from 3 weeks around Picos & Gorges du Verdon

Ahh, Gorges du Verdon. Toured around the area a few times in the early eighties on my R100RS.. In fact one year my 2 month pregnant wife was riding pillion.

Craftsman
    re the Mesh jacket thing, I never understood why BMW (among others) opted for a waterproof inner! You have to take the jacket off to insert it which can be a pita if caught in sudden rain. I have an Airflow BMW jacket, with a fleece/windstopper/puffa worn inside it works in low temps, with a waterproof over jacket it's really all you need (and you can get an the waterproofs on very quickly if external ones!)
    and the actual jacket remains dry, nothing worse than soggy pockets and wet wallets! Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    re the Mesh jacket thing, I never understood why BMW (among others) opted for a waterproof inner! You have to take the jacket off to insert it which can be a pita if caught in sudden rain. I have an Airflow BMW jacket, with a fleece/windstopper/puffa worn inside it works in low temps, with a waterproof over jacket it's really all you need (and you can get an the waterproofs on very quickly if external ones!)
    and the actual jacket remains dry, nothing worse than soggy pockets and wet wallets! Cheers, John B4
    Agreed - over-engineering IMO and the Rev'It Eclipse mentioned above does all that's required of a mesh jacket for £109.

Agreed - over-engineering IMO and the Rev'It Eclipse mentioned above does all that's required of a mesh jacket for £109.
    Try Rukka and you won't be claim that again ;)

Try Rukka and you won't be claim that again ;)
    I'll also be half a grand poorer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    I have a Dainese textile touring jacket and it is the same. I suspect a Gortex outer wouldn't be durable enough although agree it is a nuisance to having a soaked outer jacket even if you remain dry. That said it has been great in this weather as there are panels at the front and the back that roll down to allow some airflow but the fronts especially are easily zipped up again when needed.

I'll also be half a grand poorer
    280 Inc delivery form FC Moto's eBay. Don't need warranty, it isn't waterproof. Bargain!

280 Inc delivery form FC Moto's eBay. Don't need warranty, it isn't waterproof. Bargain!
    Looks more like €470 to me... do you have a link?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th July 2019 at 13:12.

Looks more like €470 to me... do you have a link?
    Was last year and not in peak summer. Always offers on just have to keep an eye. There are 3 different air summer jackets now so bit more choice

Was last year and not in peak summer. Always offers on just have to keep an eye. There are 3 different air summer jackets now so bit more choice
    I bought my Dainese jacket in the Dainese Manchester sale and it was about 1/2 price and it is a real 3/4 seasons jacket so worth keeping an eye out - especially as they often change colour schemes.

Just bought an RST mesh jacket with removable waterproof liner, such a difference riding home in it and only £120.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone use Hood or Fuel Sergeant jeans? Be interested to know any views.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Does anyone use Hood or Fuel Sergeant jeans? Be interested to know any views.
    I’ve got a pair of Hood K7 jeans.

Quality made, will cut to correct length at no extra cost, good armour and I have no doubt they would do well if needed when it matters.

However, they are very heavy, very warm in summer, a nightmare if they get wet and are cut for a functional fit rather than a fitted or slimmer cut (if that matters to you).

I prefer my PMJ jeans but the Hoods are a quality functional pair of biking jeans.

Bought a good Kevlar hoodie with front vents.. 450 miles so far this week and no issues with sweat etc.
    Mesh jackets tend to make me hotter as the air is so warm. Better to keep a light top but soak your t shirt for extreme temps. ( I’ve done 45 degrees a few times ).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope but you can buy a waterproof over if you like. In the heat it will be to wear that jacket waterproof liners will be the last thing on your mind.
    Waterproof liners are pointless,if it starts raining you have to stop take your jacket of getting wet as you put the liner in.
    Much easier and versatile to get a waterproof over jacket.
    I’ve been through monsoons wearing this,good of the bike as well.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/...of-overjacket/

After all my Rukka bragging I rode home today in 38 degree weather. The second I turned the bike on the dash said 37 and once I got going quickly went to 38 and stayed for the hour home.

How was my vented jacket? Here's a pic my wife took of me when I got home because she laughed her arse off when told her it was hot but thank God I had my summer jacket on.

There ain’t a cure for this heat! I was just happy to get home not feeling like I would pass out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    I’ve got a pair of Hood K7 jeans.

Quality made, will cut to correct length at no extra cost, good armour and I have no doubt they would do well if needed when it matters.

However, they are very heavy, very warm in summer, a nightmare if they get wet and are cut for a functional fit rather than a fitted or slimmer cut (if that matters to you).

I prefer my PMJ jeans but the Hoods are a quality functional pair of biking jeans.
    Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

How was my vented jacket?
    I stopped and took my jacket off to open all the vents yesterday.

Only to discover they were already open.

Last summer I rode through Spain and France with a Revit mesh jacket. Found it really helped to dampen my t-shirt every hour or so. Evaporative cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Last summer I rode through Spain and France with a Revit mesh jacket. Found it really helped to dampen my t-shirt every hour or so. Evaporative cooling.
    A Camelbak is a godsend for biking in hot weather. Not only to keep yourself hydrated but also to provide evaporative cooling to your under-jacket by dribbling water from your mouth downwards. Highly recommended.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.