closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 57 of 354 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,850 of 17673

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I'm thinking about a motorcycle lift and that one looks nice. Any advice on what to look for? My heaviest bike is a T120 Bonneville @250kgs but I also have a couple lighter bikes with side stand only (XL250+TR6R).
    I think many of the different bike table lifts for sale are essentially the same one just rebranded. Mine was off eBay and about £280 when I bought it around 8 years ago, best investment for my bikes ever, imo.

Bear in mind they are bloody heavy items and whilst they do have wheels on you really don't want to have to move them around to much!

(Although I've not got them on in this photo, always ratchet strap the bike down onto the table before doing anything else).

Edit: You need either a centre stand or an under-bike support to use on a table, the side stand is likely to kick out further than the table. Something like this:
    Last edited by ralphy; 21st June 2019 at 09:39.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hmm, I wasn't thinking of paddock stands having assumed I could leave the bike on a side stand on one of these.
    That would work too.

My thoughts would be to get one that's as big and heavy duty as you can but fits conveniently in your garage.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having my lift and (typically) 3 bikes in one garage and my tools and (typically) 2 bikes in a different garage, 35 miles apart.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Bear in mind they are bloody heavy items and whilst they do have wheels on you really don't want to have to move them around to much!
    Thanks Ralph. In terms of garage floor space, does your drop low enough for a Landrover to park over the top when it's not in use? From the units on ebay it looks like they need around 8" of clearance so probably a bit tight for my old Series 2a.

I think many of the different bike table lifts for sale are essentially the same one just rebranded. Mine was off eBay and about £280 when I bought it around 8 years ago, best investment for my bikes ever, imo.

(Although I've not got them on in this photo, always ratchet strap the bike down onto the table before doing anything else).

Edit: You need either a centre stand or an under-bike support to use on a table, the side stand is likely to kick out further than the table.
    Indeed. Mine's badged Sealey and I suspect yours is identical

Thanks Ralph. In terms of garage floor space, does your drop low enough for a Landrover to park over the top when it's not in use? From the units on ebay it looks like they need around 8" of clearance so probably a bit tight for my old Series 2a.
    Just for you Simon I've gone and measured mine and it collapses to just under 8 inches.

My garage is a car-free zone though, however if I really need it out of the way I lean the lift up against the wall - which isn't that often as it provides a good work table for numerous things (currently got 5m cladding panels on it for cutting).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Indeed. Mine's badged Sealey and I suspect yours is identical
    Pretty much identical, mine's badged Fermi.

R

Pretty much identical, mine's badged Fermi.

R
    Either way there's probably a single factory in China knocking them out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do - and get them to confirm back in writing - and I strongly recommend others to do the same thing.

R
    Top advice - I got written confirmation from my insurer when simply fitting handlebar risers to my Hayabusa.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Just for you Simon I've gone and measured mine and it collapses to just under 8 inches.

My garage is a car-free zone though, however if I really need it out of the way I lean the lift up against the wall - which isn't that often as it provides a good work table for numerous things (currently got 5m cladding panels on it for cutting).

R
    Much appreciated Ralph I will measure the Landy later and get a lift on order. It will probably have my old BSA WM20 on it most of the time whilst I chase oil leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just about to commence the biggest DIY job I'll have done so far - removing the exhaust link pipe containing the flapper valve, and then removing the associated servo/actuator; and replacing it all with a flapper delete pipe and servo eliminator (and replacing the silencers, obviously ). First time I'll have put a bike with a single-sided swing arm on a stand, too.

Slowly and carefully...
    Before...

And after...

Sounds great, looks much better and no warning lights - just need to take it out for a ride.

Oh, and the bits that came off... you can't see it but there's a butterfly valve in the small section of pipe.

Last edited by learningtofly; 21st June 2019 at 11:07.

Good job. Shame it's not quite so easy on the R1200R. On that the flapper is integral to the manifold/cat, so not a small/inexpensive job unfortunately.

Good job. Shame it's not quite so easy on the R1200R. On that the flapper is integral to the manifold/cat, so not a small/inexpensive job unfortunately.

That's bloody annoying. Better get a full system then

That's bloody annoying. Better get a full system then
    I've got the (legal) Akrapovic titanium slip on on there which sounds lovely as it is and bangs and pops on the overrun.

Nippynormans have the matching (unlegal) headers (de-cat & de-flapper) reduced to a mere £739, however if I wanted a little more, popping the baffle out of the slip on would be a more cost effective option...

If/when the flapper seizes, then I'll consider the headers.

Master
    I've got the (legal) Akrapovic titanium slip on on there which sounds lovely as it is and bangs and pops on the overrun.

Nippynormans have the matching (unlegal) headers (de-cat & de-flapper) reduced to a mere £739, however if I wanted a little more, popping the baffle out of the slip on would be a more cost effective option...

If/when the flapper seizes, then I'll consider the headers.
    I've got full Akra Titanium system on my R9T .. de-cat, de-flap, de-baffle - legal enough to pass MOT last week.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I've got full Akra Titanium system on my R9T .. de-cat, de-flap, de-baffle - legal enough to pass MOT last week.
    Sounds fantastic, too!

I never suggested it wouldn't pass an MOT!

I had a full Remus system on my R1150R and that was glorious, however at the time the parts were relatively inexpensive and available pre-loved.

At the moment I've just fitted the sump guard, crash bars and factory soft luggage to the Triumph and bought the BMW GPS mounts to allow me to use the Nav VI on it. I've commissioned some bespoke hard luggage fittings too and I'm considering the V&H slip on.

I've also shoved an Avantgard and Puig hugger on the R.

Oh and I've just bought a new helmet.

If I went and bought a set of headers I'd be sleeping in shed.

Master

If I went and bought a set of headers I'd be sleeping in shed.

So you're not getting the headers this month ... next month then! :-)

So you're not getting the headers this month ... next month then! :-)
    As I keep seeing the Deepsea in the window of my local jeweller, I know I have to pick my battles

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep, then you could probs squeeze another bike in there.
    Better?

Better?
    Obviously not, Gyp you idiot.

You've added one bike and taken another away!

Stupid boy!

Master
    Yeah baby, I finally managed to have some spare time tonight to take out the Fireblade.

Weekend evening ride is the best as nobody is on the street.

Question for the GS owners: can you recommend a tool bag to go somewhere on the bike (2017 GS TE, not adventure)? It only needs to be big enough to hold a puncture repair kit and possibly a disk lock. My googling skills are failing me!

Ordered a Givi one for between the rack and light but doesn’t fit with Vario luggage. Also looked at the boxes that go behind the number plate, anyone tried one?

Why is there no underseat storage?!

Cheers guys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Question for the GS owners: can you recommend a tool bag to go somewhere on the bike (2017 GS TE, not adventure)? It only needs to be big enough to hold a puncture repair kit and possibly a disk lock. My googling skills are failing me!

Ordered a Givi one for between the rack and light but doesn’t fit with Vario luggage. Also looked at the boxes that go behind the number plate, anyone tried one?

Cheers guys.
    Hi Matt I can’t see a full side on photo of your bike so not sure if you have crash bars. I have a small heavy duty dry bad zip tied to my lhs crash bar. It contains a 12 V compressor and leads to connect the battery. The plug and go kit is in a top box. I keep my disk lock in a small bag, strapped to the rear rack.
    Last edited by higham5; 22nd June 2019 at 18:51.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Does it need a re-map if you do this?

I’ve got an R1250R with the Akra titanium end can and I’m considering going for the Akra titanium headers. They do two types of titanium headers - with and without the cat. The Akrapovic website states that if you go for the de-catted headers they are not road legal and a re-map will be required to avoid warning lights and run cleanly.

Is this just to cover themselves and in fact I’d be fine without the re-map? Would it pass an MOT with the de-catted headers?

Any advice gratefully received...

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Does it need a re-map if you do this?

I’ve got an R1250R with the Akra titanium end can and I’m considering going for the Akra titanium headers. They do two types of titanium headers - with and without the cat. The Akrapovic website states that if you go for the de-catted headers they are not road legal and a re-map will be required to avoid warning lights and run cleanly.

Is this just to cover themselves and in fact I’d be fine without the re-map? Would it pass an MOT with the de-catted headers?

Any advice gratefully received...
    I have the same Akra de cat titanium headers and Akra exhaust. Didn't bother with the remap and doesn't need an MOT yet. I had the same system on my last GSA and had that mapped but couldn't tell the difference.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have the same Akra de cat titanium headers and Akra exhaust. Didn't bother with the remap and doesn't need an MOT yet. I had the same system on my last GSA and had that mapped but couldn't tell the difference.
    Thanks.

So it sounds like it will run ok. Do you know what the MOT situation is? I’m told that they don’t test exhaust emissions on bikes so I’m assuming it would pass...

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Thanks.

So it sounds like it will run ok. Do you know what the MOT situation is? I’m told that they don’t test exhaust emissions on bikes so I’m assuming it would pass...
    I don't think emissions are checked on a bike MOT but I'm not too sure. There was some talk in this thread earlier. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm taking mine for an MOT when it needs one. BMW fitted mine on both bikes so would have mentioned it if the MOT would be an issue.

Cheers guys.
    I don’t think there are any other options, if you stay with the Vario Luggage. Most solutions (other than the ‘kidney’ bag under the ‘tripod’ mount) - fit to the inside of solid pannier frames.

Sell the varios and go for GSA luggage (then fit a twalcom toolbox on inside of frame) or go for S/H Metal Mule, or one of the other makers of Alu boxes who have sprung up?

There are some great options around now, and you will realise how heavy the Varios are - empty!

Varios are clever, but pretty poor in use.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Hi Matt I can’t see a full side on photo of your bike so not sure if you have crash bars. I have a small heavy duty dry bad zip tied to my lhs crash bar. It contains a 12 V compressor and leads to connect the battery. The plug and go kit is in a top box. I keep my disk lock in a small bag, strapped to the rear rack.
    Here you go, thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I don’t think there are any other options, if you stay with the Vario Luggage. Most solutions (other than the ‘kidney’ bag under the ‘tripod’ mount) - fit to the inside of solid pannier frames.

Sell the varios and go for GSA luggage (then fit a twalcom toolbox on inside of frame) or go for S/H Metal Mule, or one of the other makers of Alu boxes who have sprung up?

There are some great options around now, and you will realise how heavy the Varios are - empty!

Varios are clever, but pretty poor in use.
    Thanks, the vario stuff is heavy but works for me as I ride a lot in traffic, and filtering is easier with them not expanded!

That seems to be the overriding reason for a lot of people. Are you actually using the panniers all the time?

9 bhp of pure thrust this afternoon!

2-up, flat out, 55mph

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That seems to be the overriding reason for a lot of people. Are you actually using the panniers all the time?
    something i dont get either , the only time you need panniers/boxes on a motorbike are if >

A / you are touring europe

B / delivering pizza

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    something i dont get either , the only time you need panniers/boxes on a motorbike are if >

B / delivering pizza
    I tend to leave them on all the time, mainly as as the bike is typically used for practical trips rather than just simply Sunday morning blasts.

I know if I don't have the luggage on, I'll end up with something I can't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

B / delivering pizza
    Good question: I try to go as much as possible on mine to various meetings. Having the panniers on means I can leave trousers, boots, jacket and helmet on the bike. I get more riding in, but don’t have to walk in looking too out of place if it’s not appropriate!

P.S panniers and top box come off if not needed. I still prefer the look without, hence the need for some way to carry a puncture kit discretely in some other way

Good question: I try to go as much as possible on mine to various meetings. Having the panniers on means I can leave trousers, boots, jacket and helmet on the bike. I get more riding in, but don’t have to walk in looking too out of place if it’s not appropriate!
    I can fit trousers and boots in the right pannier, helmet and gloves in the left with a power bank charging the GoPro. Just missing somewhere to leave the jacket. Generally leave just the panniers on and take off the top box if doing that. Shame the GSA top box is so pathetic or I'd be able to get the boots in that instead.

Master
    Two options for you Matt both for your lock
    1 small bag , my disk lock came with a pouch attached to your rear grab handles
    2 wunderlich bar bag , not cheap but good for disk lock and a multi tool

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wu...870-000-1.html

I can fit trousers and boots in the right pannier, helmet and gloves in the left with a power bank charging the GoPro. Just missing somewhere to leave the jacket. Generally leave just the panniers on and take off the top box if doing that. Shame the GSA top box is so pathetic or I'd be able to get the boots in that instead.
    Sir needs a trailer

Sir needs a trailer

The Givi Outback Trekker 58 has been considered.

The Givi Outback Trekker 58 has been considered.
    I'd like a 33/46/58 set but not easily affordable

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Two options for you Matt both for your lock
    1 small bag , my disk lock came with a pouch attached to your rear grab handles
    2 wunderlich bar bag , not cheap but good for disk lock and a multi tool

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wu...870-000-1.html
    Thanks for that, looks ok but really want something discrete that can be fitted and forgotten about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think emissions are checked on a bike MOT but I'm not too sure.
    I'm sure they're not. ;-)

My solution on my 1150 GS's and 1150R was to remove the exhaust completely and replace it with a 'stubby', a short length of pipe. You lose the weight of the exhaust and the sound isn't much louder at all.

If you zoom in on this pic you should be able to see the stubby in place.

R

I'd like a 33/46/58 set but not easily affordable

But trailers are easier, and narrower for filtering

Master

Cheers guys.
    I have the Wunderlich under rack bag that fits perfectly with Vario luggage in place. Stores a disclock and puncture repair kit, and it is nearly invisible once on the bike.

https://www.nippynormans.com/wunderl...013-on-r1250gs

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I have the Wunderlich under rack bag that fits perfectly with Vario luggage in place. Stores a disclock and puncture repair kit, and it is nearly invisible once on the bike.

https://www.nippynormans.com/wunderl...013-on-r1250gs
    Thanks! Not sure how I didn’t find that, but just ordered direct from them with some other bits

Just uploaded a short term review of the R9T to my YouTube channel - it's here for anyone having a quiet day
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd June 2019 at 16:49.

Oops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Oops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s not just a vehicle , it’s a piece of art :)

Master
    Just uploaded a short term review of the R9T to my YouTube channel - it's here for anyone having a quiet day

Nice video Tony I have to confess I dipped in and out of sections. Those bar end mirrors really clean up the bars and it makes the front end look very tidy.
    Steve