closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 77 of 354 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,850 of 17667

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have recently (3-4 months ago) started blood biking in my local area. I enjoy it a lot.

I did my MOD1/MOD2 around the same time as you (Nov 2018) and then moved on to my IAM test in June this year. As you say, the IAM (or ROSPA) is a pre-requisite for most blood bike organisations.

For my group, I needed to pass IAM then attend an induction event (where the activities are explained). This was followed by a "check ride", which was basically another IAM level test ride with detailed feedback, and finally a blood handling course and an induction ride (following someone and seeing the actual collection and delivery processes).
    Thank you, that’s very helpful!

Master
    Nice one. They look great with the Cranberry tank.
    Cheers.... I’d actually have preferred plain black, but they had the red in stock and gave me such a good deal I couldn’t say no..

The red will make a nice change though😎😎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thank you, that’s very helpful!
    Actually the term "blood bike" is a bit of a misnomer. Yesterday's shift involved various samples and an FMT

Actually the term "blood bike" is a bit of a misnomer. Yesterday's shift involved various samples and an FMT
    Just one question - presumably you collect the bike en-route to the job?

Master
    I think the working process varies a bit depending on location - proximity to the bike store and collection/delivery locations. Some people collect the bike prior to the shift and wait at home for a call etc. In my case, I know there will be some "regular" pre-booked deliveries together with some ad-hoc stuff, so I get the bike at the start of the shift. My bike is stored in a fire station, which is a few miles from my house and close to a major hospital.

Master
    Tony I recently attended a talk given by a blood biker in the North West. My understanding following the talk was.

Blood bikers are rota’d via the NHS therefore on call at agreed times
    There are groups or divisions
    Each division has a “ small” number of donated bikes
    Most blood bikers use their own bikes
    There is no pay and support for fuel or additional insurance costs
    Its rare they carry blood, often its case records or pathology samples

Some blood bike groups are folding even though they are free, since the NHS is contracting out to private hire companies, this is baffling the blood bike fraternity.

Hope this helps

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony I recently attended a talk given by a blood biker in the North West. My understanding following the talk was.

Some blood bike groups are folding even though they are free, since the NHS is contracting out to private hire companies, this is baffling the blood bike fraternity.

Hope this helps

Steve
    Thanks Steve. That paints a slightly different picture to what I believe happens in London, but it will certainly prompt some more questions when i give them a call.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    As some of you’ll know, I’ve got a new Bobber TFC on order.

It’s been on my mind that having 2 Bobber’s is a bit daft really. So today I’ve ordered this..

A new Speedmaster like above but with a Cranberry tank which is now discontinued..

Got a great deal from Woods motorcycles in Abergele.. delivery due 1st March..
    That looks wicked. Can't wait to see the mods you're going to do!!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That looks wicked. Can't wait to see the mods you're going to do!!
    Cheers Ian.... mods will mostly involve taking all the good bits off the bobber, and swapping them to the Speedmaster..👍

Master
    Anyone planning any roadtrips this year? After a dismal biking year for me in 2019, have decided to do a little more of what I love and get out on the bike more often. 3 of us are planning a trip to raid the ‘Eastern Bloc’ to the Black Sea and to Istanbul this year. Route is roughly this and will take 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be prepared for roads worse than UK winter B roads: a trail will survive better than a grand tourer if you have the choice. Otherwise stick to the main roads, or ride slowly. It can really be that bad.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Yep - 3 of us are on GS/GSAs. Looking forward to taking in the Transalpina, Transfagarasan, and many others...

Master
    This was 2018 when we explored a ‘major /main road’ in Bosnia...

But then there was also the glorious A5 up the Dalmatian coast... 200miles of constant radius turns and the Adriatic Sea :)

Perfect. I drive in Bulgaria (around Varna, mainly) and the company cars take a tremendous beating. And beware of buses (and of every vehicle in general) in Turkey: they race each other regardless of any incoming traffic.

Master
    Heading up the Mangart pass just north of Lake Bled in Slovenia

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Perfect. I drive in Bulgaria (around Varna, mainly) and the company cars take a tremendous beating. And beware of buses (and of every vehicle in general) in Turkey: they race each other regardless of any incoming traffic.
    So you might just be the one who can help! We are trying to decide a great place to stop over for 1-2 nights near Varna. Somewhere on the coast. We will be coming down from the Transfag, so some sunny relaxed comfort off the bikes would be nice - before heading for Istanbul. Where might you recommend near Varna or in Varna itself?

I’ll ask (i usually don’t have much time for tourism). What time of the year will you be there?

Master
    Early summer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is 2 weeks enough it will take longer than you realise?

Looks like a great trip - Enjoy
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Is 2 weeks enough it will take longer than you realise?
    Should be plenty. Average 300miles a day (no mways). 2 days off the bikes. We will be taking the overnight train from Germany to start/end in Austria which saves 4 days.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Should be plenty. Average 300miles a day (no mways). 2 days off the bikes. We will be taking the overnight train from Germany to start/end in Austria which saves 4 days.
    300 miles a day is a lot.

More bike related stuff

300 miles a day is a lot.
    Yes but spareparts is a big fan of making progress so will have done 300 in the time we've done 150
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 18th May 2022 at 01:02.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From the most respected tourer I know who’s been every where he did 3 weeks with his group and they ride long days.

PLANNING an average 250km/ day throughout the 3 week trip was too much. 170-200 would have been about right.

I'm already thinking that riding up to Matlock is a long way, and that's only 150 miles from my house

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes but squareparts is a big fan of making progress so will have done 300 in the time we've done 150
    Lol!

From the most respected tourer I know who’s been every where he did 3 weeks with his group and they ride long days.

PLANNING an average 250km/ day throughout the 3 week trip was too much. 170-200 would have been about right.
    Everyone has different capacity for days in the saddle. When I used to lead European bike tours more regularly as a job, 200miles a day was plenty for new/older riders. With the younger and faster/skilled riders, 400 miles of tight twisties on sportsbikes was no issue. Every day for 10 consecutive days - we would ride from fuel stop to fuel stop without a break except for lunch!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

I believe that Lynns Raven Cafe has closed down. This place was a fantastic bike meet on a thursday night, especially in summer. It did tend to be a bit of a police haunt due to the number of bikers going there. On a good evening there could be a few hundred bikers there and inevitably some were over eager with their right hand hence the large police presence around the area. If it has close its a sad day for bikers as this truly was a genuine place that loved bikers. Anyone else heard anything, Enoch ??

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm already thinking that riding up to Matlock is a long way, and that's only 150 miles from my house
    It’s certainly boring to get there,but worth it.

300 miles a day is a long day in Western Europe in Eastern Europe it will be endurance riding especially in mountain areas.

Master
    Anyone interested in a ride out this Sunday/tomorrow? Leaving West London and heading towards Oxfordshire for a late brekky. Weather looks ok: sunnyish, double digits temp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lol!

Everyone has different capacity for days in the saddle. When I used to lead European bike tours more regularly as a job, 200miles a day was plenty for new/older riders. With the younger and faster/skilled riders, 400 miles of tight twisties on sportsbikes was no issue. Every day for 10 consecutive days - we would ride from fuel stop to fuel stop without a break except for lunch!
    Each to their own,I find long days non stop riding boring you miss so much though I can’t do it nowadays anyway.

Some people enjoy endurance riding,I like to explore every mile.

I saw your route and thought it ambitious for the time you`ve got to do it.
    300 miles a day is do-able but it won`t make for a classic bike trip - you`ll be watching the time and distances constantly which will kill the vibe.
    There`s nothing like a schedule on a bike trip to kill the opportunities for (mis)adventure.
    You`ve got to take time out to chill and absorb yourself into the local culture..
    Traveling on the faster routes you could possibly miss all the interesting stuff.
    And by interesting i mean visiting local towns/people/food and places - the only time you really get to see another country.
    From feral dog encounters, village idiots characters to being woken up by farmers pointing a shotgun at you - it never happens on dual carriageways, motorways or in hotels..

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    300 miles a day is do-able but it won`t make for a classic bike trip - you`ll be watching the time and distances constantly which will kill the vibe.
    There`s nothing like a schedule on a bike trip to kill the opportunities for (mis)adventure.
    You`ve got to take time out to chill and absorb yourself into the local culture..
    Traveling on the faster routes you could possibly miss all the interesting stuff.
    And by interesting i mean visiting local towns/people/food and places - the only time you really get to see another country.
    From feral dog encounters, village idiots characters to being woken up by farmers pointing a shotgun at you - it never happens on dual carriageways, motorways or in hotels..
    You somehow managed to make that sound attractive. Nice job

Master
    You are absolutely correct. And that is exactly what we will be doing. An adventure is simply a poorly planned route! I simply do not do motorways or dual carriageways unless forced to. And yes, have even encountered a stray mountain dog one year who t-boned one of the riders!

I always tell riders: ride at a pace that is comfortable for you. And that means and respects that all riders have varying levels of endurance/pace/skill etc. There is no right/wrong answer except it is important the riders of a group have fun and respect & ride safely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With the younger and faster/skilled riders, 400 miles of tight twisties on sportsbikes was no issue. Every day for 10 consecutive days - we would ride from fuel stop to fuel stop without a break except for lunch!

can you show us some of those routes?

Master
    Blog Entries
    thats so true,when I dont have to get anywhere in a hurry or schedule its much more fun.

So now when I go for the ferry in Plymouth to Spain for example I treat it as part of the holiday,I give myself twice as much time then go on small back roads, stop for a cream tea etc.

rushing for it like I did in previous years was stressful and boring.

now I plan journeys by how long the sat nav says it will take not distance I always avoid motorways if possible.

its not the destination its the journey,my friend likes riding long distance and always ends up in pain it doesn't stop him though.

Master

More bike related stuff

With the younger and faster/skilled riders, 400 miles of tight twisties on sportsbikes was no issue. Every day for 10 consecutive days - we would ride from fuel stop to fuel stop without a break except for lunch!

can you show us some of those routes?
    I’m guessing you are making many assessments... here is one from before, obviously we broke it up a little, but still covered it all. Looping between France and Spain a few times a day. Have done the Pyrenees and Alps countless times. Still go back! Great roads.

Last edited by spareparts; 11th January 2020 at 13:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    I believe that Lynns Raven Cafe has closed down. This place was a fantastic bike meet on a thursday night, especially in summer. It did tend to be a bit of a police haunt due to the number of bikers going there. On a good evening there could be a few hundred bikers there and inevitably some were over eager with their right hand hence the large police presence around the area. If it has close its a sad day for bikers as this truly was a genuine place that loved bikers. Anyone else heard anything, Enoch ??

Stuart

It's definitely true. I was talking to the guy who founded Raven Riders and he told me it closed due to issues with the landlord / lack of maintenance.
    Last edited by downer; 11th January 2020 at 13:56.

The joys of not having a garage anymore.

Journeyman
    What are people's thoughts on a Triumph Bonneville for a first bike since passing?

Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    What are people's thoughts on a Triumph Bonneville for a first bike since passing?
    If you line the style, I'd have no hesitation recommendeding a Street Twin/Street Scrambler/T100.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m guessing you are making many assessments... here is one from before, obviously we broke it up a little, but still covered it all. Looping between France and Spain a few times a day. Have done the Pyrenees and Alps countless times. Still go back! Great roads.

that was in one day?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Hope this helps

Steve

I am on the committee of my local group. Have never heard of blood bikers being rota'd by the NHS, we are all volunteers and are support organisation to the NHS, our riders sign up for a shift and then the calls come into our controller, who then looks to see where the on duty riders are located and despatches the riders to the jobs. We carry a lot of Blood and Platelets as well as medical samples, resupply the Air Ambulance and during the day, offer an ad hoc service to move Human Baby Milk and Heart Monitors. We have 6 blood bikes and two cars, which volunteers who do at least two consecutive shifts and have done a familiarisation can use. We covered over 175,000 miles last year, 70% of that was completed by our volunteers using their own bikes and cars and paying all their own fuel and costs. Most insurance companies offer Blood Biking as a free option, so no additional costs on your normal insurance. All our riders and drivers have to have IAM or RoSPA and have a current membership of one of those organisations.

The piece about some blood bike groups folding is incorrect, one group has decided to fold, reason being they were responsible for about 1 or 2% of one hospitals needs out of hours. The the Trust in question, consolidated all their transport needs into one contract, which tenders were sent out for. The Blood Bike group would not have been able to fulfil the whole of the transport requirements so they had no option but to stop. Blood Bike groups are volunteers and not set up to transport everything 24/7. We did over 2400 jobs in 2019, which was a significant increase on the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The joys of not having a garage anymore...
    Yes, it's a real PITA. In fact, I'm about to upgrade my son's bike from a scooter to (probably) a CB125R, and I'm thinking that this might be a perfect solution for both of us:

Can anyone tell me the best way to anchor it to the patio slabs (i.e. what type of fixings I'd need to use)?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th January 2020 at 15:27.

Can anyone tell me the best way to anchor it to the patio slabs (i.e. what type of fixings I'd need to use)?
    I expect that RawlBolts would do the job

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thanks - I'll have a Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Likely to split the slabs.

Chemical resin anchors, would be my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I’ll Google that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Yeah that's a good point, I was thinking of a concrete base

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Where do you currently store your bike when not in use Tony?

Stuart

I think the working process varies a bit depending on location - proximity to the bike store and collection/delivery locations. Some people collect the bike prior to the shift and wait at home for a call etc. In my case, I know there will be some "regular" pre-booked deliveries together with some ad-hoc stuff, so I get the bike at the start of the shift. My bike is stored in a fire station, which is a few miles from my house and close to a major hospital.

It's a fantastic way to give something back to the community, and very much appreciated.
    On an almost personal note, UK Freemasonry has sponsored many bikes over the past few years, and I can see this continuing.My Province has funded 3 new bikes over the last two years.
    A very worthy cause, and on well par with the Air Ambulances.