closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 100m+ gold chronograph suggestions

100m+ gold chronograph suggestions

I want to buy something for my birthday later in the month, and want to try and tick as many of the following boxes as possible;

* 100m or better water resistance
    * Chronograph
    * Precious metal
    * Any other complication

Budget is £5-10k, secondhand.

I'm aware I'm not likely to find anything decent that matches all four criteria. A few that are on my radar that match 3/4

* Breitling H19350 (no wr)
    * Rolex daydate (no chronograph)
    * IWC GST perpetual or rattrapante (not pm)

Any other suggestions?

Can you get a zenith or a reverso for that sort of money?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    How about a Sinn 6000 Rose Gold? Fits all criteria. I think they are £12k new but there are some on Chrono24 at <£7,500 second hand

Master
    There's also quite a few Breguet Type XX on CHR24 in gold for less than £10k.

That or the Sinn would be my choice

Master
    Bi-metal Daytona?

Master

100m+ gold chronograph suggestions

Tricky, as you realise. Something usually has to give. But I did get a solid gold Omega Chrono last year for £6k, in excellent nick. So they are out there. It was like new. I suppose you just have to keep looking, and avoid the more 'ambitious' dealers. SC is your friend. Good luck.
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th August 2018 at 09:54.

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Speedy 57?

Seems to tick all of the boxes...

£10K can get you pretty close to a 16518 or 116518 (18K Daytona on strap) if you're patient.

I'd go for one of those if you want a top-grade chronograph with a very conservatively-rated 100 metres of water resistance.

Alternatively, the Zenith Vintage 1969 looks amazing in gold, and it has more than enough water-resistance for most real-life situations.

The Day-Date is also a good shout. I'd skip the Breitling and IWC, though.

Master
    If you can get any type of gold Daytona for 10k, grab it; but I suspect those days are a memory. The inflated prices of steel models is inevitably spilling-over into the price of gold models. Everything is on the up.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Bi-metal Daytona?
    Good shout as still a little undervalued in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If you can get any type of gold Daytona for 10k, grab it; but I suspect those days are a memory. The inflated prices of steel models is inevitably spilling-over into the price of gold models. Everything is on the up.
    True, but there have been a few 18K-on-strap examples sold recently for under $15K USD, which isn’t that far off £10K.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    True, but there have been a few 18K-on-strap examples sold recently for under $15K USD, which isn’t that far off £10K.
    more like £11.750

sterling is dropping like a stone

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    more like £11.750

sterling is dropping like a stone
    Yes, it’s just that if you’re already prepared to spend ten kilopounds on a fancy gold sports chronograph, then an extra few to get the best of the breed might not be a complete dealbreaker.

Master
    For me, that'd be either an 18k Daytona on leather or a Day-Date on bracelet.

The Day-Date in particular is brilliant fun, and good value, relatively speaking. You can pick up a 18238 or a 18208 on bracelet for around £8k, and they're brilliant to wear. Just watch a few episodes of the Soporanos and you'll get the bug, I guarantee!

Reasonable value retention too.

Master
    The Breitlings in this thread above are absolutely horrific. A slimy estate agent's wet dream, along with 8 gold rings and a wardrobe full of shirts with differently-coloured collars and cuffs and cutaway collars.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya71 View Post
    Good shout as still a little undervalued in my opinion
    I agree and would suggest a zenith version would be a pretty safe bet and well within this budget.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    The Breitlings in this thread above are absolutely horrific. A slimy estate agent's wet dream, along with 8 gold rings and a wardrobe full of shirts with differently-coloured collars and cuffs and cutaway collars.
    Tasteful wasn’t one of the criteria lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Bimetal Daytona is not something that had been on my radar. I'm aware of the rather unfashionable reputation of of two tone watches, but might have to try one on.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    and a wardrobe full of shirts with differently-coloured collars and cuffs and cutaway collars.
    Yes, I see what you mean.

Actually, you'll probably get a Parmigiani Fleurier Toric chronograph for your budget.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hr...-royal-wedding
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 10th August 2018 at 11:06.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by tomkandy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Bimetal Daytona is not something that had been on my radar. I'm aware of the rather unfashionable reputation of of two tone watches, but might have to try one on.
    Perhaps they’re considered unfashionable by some online watch nerds, but in real life, bi-metal Daytonæ can look great.

But if I was looking for something in gold to commemorate a significant life event, I’d probably skip the chrono requirement entirely and do myself a favour by getting a Day-Date. It’ll likely be a far more satisfying watch than any sub-10K chronograph.
    Last edited by Belligero; 10th August 2018 at 11:17.