closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Different brands often fit/wear differently - try a few and make sure it’s the correct size, looks should be well down the list TBH.
    Totally this, you need to try different manufacturers and different styles on and you'll find one that fits your head shape best.

Get to a proper bike shop and get a fitting sorted they will be more than happy to spend an hour or so getting you the best fit.

Do not skimp on helmets.

Shoei for me personally.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I think you will get used to the helmet but agree with trying a few. When I ride I leave the visor “cracked” most of the time, all the vents open and sort of “stop breathing” I am sure once you have to concentrate less on the bike you will find the helmet more comfortable. Does the visor accept an anti-fog insert as these work really well? Otherwise there are coatings that help the best I have found is “shoptic” which I use on my glasses in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's strange because sometimes it doesn't bother me then other times I feel like I'm panicking, can't breath and need to get the bloody thing off (riding a year and a few thousand miles). The HJC has all the bells and whistles so pinlock max vision visor insert, good vents, sun visor etc. The premier is less claustrophobic but like I said, crap as none of these retro lids have good visor mechanisms.

I doubt I'm ever going to be a modern sportbike owner so I'll see where I go when I get full license. I think one of the Simpson/adv minus visor type helmets might be next.

It's a funny thing because I get paranoid about safety on the motorcycle driving around town at 30mph fully decked out in Kevlar lined armoured everything yet an hour later I'll go out on my road bike (racer) wearing nothing but lycra and a wee polystyrene helmet and can hit 50mph on some of the hills.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    If you are aware of Simon Pavey you'll know he's a bloody good rider. Well I was with him when he was wearing a brand new BMW flip top which he'd just flipped up to talk to someone and then promptly hit a rock. It was low speed and he stayed on the bike, but the result of his now unprotected face hitting the top of the screen on his 1150GSA was a spectacular explosion of claret from a broken nose and split lip. Laugh? I certainly did.

R
    That must have been a while ago! Were you on an off-road skills course? Excellent thing to do even if you only ever plan to ride on the road

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    That must have been a while ago! Were you on an off-road skills course? Excellent thing to do even if you only ever plan to ride on the road
    Thinking back it certainly was a while ago - the helmet in question was a BMW system 5! John Deacon was a friend of mine and I'd occasionally help him out on the courses over in Wales and it was on one of those it happened.

And yes, I'd highly recommend any biker to get on an off-road training course, they help such a lot with road-riding.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Arai sz ram fitted to me by the dealer. Expensive but comfy with good vis. TBH I wear it in preference to my RX7, but I do sit behind a fairing.

Craftsman
    Back onto open faced lids, when I was a kid there was a local hooligan who rode big Kawasakis and used to wear open lids ,he said a bumble bee hit him when he was doing 100+(I think it was gravel from a passing car) but it almost went right through his cheek leaving a significant scar.

When I used to ride on the road (Gave up in 2005) I always wore sunglasses and would flip the visor up at lower speeds, bearing in mind the damage I did to my chim coming off a BMX when I was a kid I would never entertain an open face, the claustrophobic feeling does go away over time

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine uses open face helmets for his Bonneville. He had a low speed spill and has a scar on his chin and upper lip to remind him.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    A friend of mine uses open face helmets for his Bonneville. He had a low speed spill and has a scar on his chin and upper lip to remind him.

A friend of mine come off his Honda on the elevated section of the A4 at hammersmith in 1988, killed due to the chin piece on his full face helmet digging in and breaking his neck... bike didn't have a scratch on it.

Blog Entries
    I normally wear a Shoei full face but recently tried one of the flip up type and quite liked it. Now thinking of getting a Shark Evoline 3 if I can find one locally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    A friend of mine come off his Honda on the elevated section of the A4 at hammersmith in 1988, killed due to the chin piece on his full face helmet digging in and breaking his neck... bike didn't have a scratch on it.
    That was an issue on the early Simpson Bandit helmets , that's why they couldn't meet the then British Standard and were not approved for competition

Master
    Bonus! Chics dig scars.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Bonus! Chics dig scars.

You gotta have a face left to have a scar.

Master
    A friend of mine rode his Harley to a meet of his local chapter, the Surrey Bankers and Solicitors Rough Riders, wearing a full face helmet. He was a long standing member of the group, but had recently become worried about his chin and so swapped his HarleyFascistKit (tm) Nazi style helmet for an Aria Rebel.

All the rest of his gear was on message - the leather chaps, the genuine Harley pre-distressed cut-off with genuine HarleyStab(tm) fake stab marks in it and fake patches sewn on by his mum, the Screaming Chicken power upgrade kit (power up from 27 to over 30bhp), even wearing the gimp mask under his full face lid.

All to no avail. They ran him out of the club, for wearing a sissy full face lid. He tried other local HOG groups - the BareBack Breakers, the Louche Leathers, but the Surrey Bankers had started a hate campaign against him on social media - no-one would let him in.

In a desperate attempt to win favour, he posted videos online of him using his HOG for the only thing it's really good for - pulling tree stumps out of ditches - but it was no good, wearing that full face consigned him to the ranks of the Harley Untouchables.

Distraught, he started drinking a potent mix of dot 5.1 brake fluid and used sump oil. He was sectioned after convincing himself he was a camshaft and started asking everyone to check his lobes, but now hopes to rejoin the two wheel fraternity, maybe on a Honda Grom, whose owner groups are helmet agnostic.

A cautionary tale - wear what's appropriate or live with the consequences.
    Last edited by berin; 7th August 2018 at 18:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    That was an issue on the early Simpson Bandit helmets , that's why they couldn't meet the then British Standard and were not approved for competition
    But they did look cool, especially with the wolf face graphics

Claustrophobic wearing a helmet?....You sure motorcycling is right for you?

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine rode his Harley to a meet of his local chapter, the Surrey Bankers and Solicitors Rough Riders, wearing a full face helmet. He was a long standing member of the group, but had recently become worried about his chin and so swapped his HarleyFascistKit (tm) Nazi style helmet for an Aria Rebel.

All the rest of his gear was on message - the leather chaps, the genuine Harley pre-distressed cut-off with genuine HarleyStab(tm) fake stab marks in it and fake patches sewn on by his mum, the Screaming Chicken power upgrade kit (power up from 27 to over 30bhp), even wearing the gimp mask under his full face lid.

All to no avail. They ran him out of the club, for wearing a sissy full face lid. He tried other local HOG groups - the BareBack Breakers, the Louche Leathers, but the Surrey Bankers had started a hate campaign against him on social media - no-one would let him in.

In a desperate attempt to win favour, he posted videos online of him using his HOG for the only thing it's really good for - pulling tree stumps out of ditches - but it was no good, wearing that full face consigned him to the ranks of the Harley Untouchables.

Distraught, he started drinking a potent mix of dot 5.1 brake fluid and used sump oil. He was sectioned after convincing himself he was a camshaft and started asking everyone to check his lobes, but now hopes to rejoin the two wheel fraternity, maybe on a Honda Grom, whose owner groups are helmet agnostic.

Glad I've always stuck with Japanese bikes ;)

Master
    Tony

I'm a scooterboy and have finally settled on an HJC IS Max II as my helmet of choice, having owned 5 helmets over the course of the last 10 years.

I fear I should warn you that helmets, like watches, can become rather addictive.

Good luck on the DAS.

Edited for photograph.

scooter
    Last edited by scooter; 7th August 2018 at 21:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    If you are aware of Simon Pavey you'll know he's a bloody good rider. Well I was with him when he was wearing a brand new BMW flip top which he'd just flipped up to talk to someone and then promptly hit a rock. It was low speed and he stayed on the bike, but the result of his now unprotected face hitting the top of the screen on his 1150GSA was a spectacular explosion of claret from a broken nose and split lip. Laugh? I certainly did.

R
    Hilarious

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    Hilarious
    It's an off-road biker thing.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Motorbike helmets

I passed my full bike test and ended up choosing a geared Vespa PX150..

I have an open face Scorpion helmet, but it comes with an interchangeable pop down visor, clear or tinted. I can wear ray bans quite comfortably with the clear visor down.

I have an AGV flip and lockable helmet for longer journeys. Whether it’s gravel or insects, they both bloody hurt even though I’m pootling along at 50.

It’s all about risk though. I wear the open face only when I’m doing 30mph limits and I’m well aware of what will happen if I come off, but I prefer being able to have better peripheral vision and being able to hear traffic around me. I still think I’m more at danger from other road users, so I ride defensively.

Always best to go and try different helmets on. I didn’t get on with the Schoe modular but found the AGV much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Open face was my preferred helmet of choice for my new to me ‘69 Italian import Vespa but wondered if open face was really sensible.

Chatted with a pal who ownes a motorcycle training school and he said is the pub full of fellas with no chins through coming off bikes or indeed the Lycra brigade who wear tiny little lids. Horses for courses and in reality my Vespa 50n (with its new barrel kit, bigger delly and race pipe) is only going to be an urban hack of 50 mph downhill at best so for me open face all the way.

After lots of looking and trying on, the Shoei J.O was an absolutely perfect fit and the matt brown is just simply stunning.

Have a drool pal.

My favourite post of 2018!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Open face was my preferred helmet of choice for my new to me ‘69 Italian import Vespa but wondered if open face was really sensible.

Chatted with a pal who ownes a motorcycle training school and he said is the pub full of fellas with no chins through coming off bikes or indeed the Lycra brigade who wear tiny little lids. Horses for courses and in reality my Vespa 50n (with its new barrel kit, bigger delly and race pipe) is only going to be an urban hack of 50 mph downhill at best so for me open face all the way.

After lots of looking and trying on, the Shoei J.O was an absolutely perfect fit and the matt brown is just simply stunning.

Have a drool pal.

Damn, that’s one beautiful lid

That is a really nice looking helmet and I can see the attraction on a low speed bike for summer use. That said the lack of ACU sticker on the back is noticeable to me and so indicates (not surprisingly) it is unsuitable for race use. It really is a matter of choosing a helmet appropriate to your usage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    My favourite post of 2018!!!

Agreed well done
    berin

I think I’m in love. (It’s your fault, Howard!)

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    That is a really nice looking helmet and I can see the attraction on a low speed bike for summer use. That said the lack of ACU sticker on the back is noticeable to me and so indicates (not surprisingly) it is unsuitable for race use. It really is a matter of choosing a helmet appropriate to your usage.

Yes, if you want to race - you require that sticker on your helmet, but it in no way - implies a better-built helmet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, if you want to race - you require that sticker on your helmet, but it in no way - implies a better-built helmet.
    Exactly, and if they want a sticker you can pick them up around the web and just stick them on yourself!

I prefer a roof boxer with the chin piece up until stupid speed! I’ve crashed in a roof like that and an arai but it all depends on the type of accident, my ex wife was a police rider and then soco and she showed me of a few pictures of heads with the bar ends through the eye slots on full face helmets now that isn’t a pretty sight.

I know a few in wheelchairs with broken backs from bike accidents because of no back protection but none with facial injuries from open face helmets.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I tried an open face on my Diavel with a pair of sunnies. Fine at low speed but the wind blast at higher speeds made my eyes water and it became difficult to see, not good at all !!

I tried different sunnies as well, wrap round, wayfarer etc but all the same. There are bike specific glasses with rubber type seals that fit flush to your face but tbh i couldnt be arsed as i have a couple of nice full face lids. I wore it perhaps 3 or 4 times then put it back in the box where it still is.

Stuart

I'd like to be able to wear an open face lid in summer, in town for sub 20mph ish pootles round town etc, but 30 odd years of wearing full faces/mx lid's with a chin bar has just conditioned me against it. Never seen anything personally, but heard all the gruesome stories about the piss pot based facial injuries.

Just can't bring myself to do it. Stupid thing is though I'll quite happily bimble around town for short slow journeys without an armoured jacket on in summer, but my brain says I have to be wearing a full face lid and gloves.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Exactly, and if they want a sticker you can pick them up around the web and just stick them on yourself!

I prefer a roof boxer with the chin piece up until stupid speed! I’ve crashed in a roof like that and an arai but it all depends on the type of accident, my ex wife was a police rider and then soco and she showed me of a few pictures of heads with the bar ends through the eye slrots on full face helmets now that isn’t a pretty sight.

I know a few in wheelchairs with broken backs from bike accidents because of no back protection but none with facial injuries from open face helmets.

Then you are lucky in your acquaintances. Stay so.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Damn, that’s one beautiful lid
    Just have a think about visibility before you go down the Darth Vader route.

I wanted to get a black helmet whilst I was doing DAS, but increasingly became aware that the maxim about other road users being out to kill you is 100% true.

You'd be amazed at the number of times cars will pull out on you from junctions that they most likely would not have done were you in a car. Anything that can aid other road users to see you and not do something that might kill you is worth consideration. I went for a helmet with a significant amount of white on the front, but anything with reflective or colours that increase visibility must be good for new riders.

An open-faced black helmet would be a no-no for me as someone just out of DAS.

Master

Motorbike helmets

Hey if the guy wants to ride with a P**s pot on his head, its his head.

Just Be careful around 120 they can start to lift, and those little bugs really sting.

Comfort safety visibility anything you can do to increase your chance of returning home unscathed.

All drivers of any vehicle with more then 2 wheels should as a part of the test be made to ride a pushbike or scooter for a month, to enhance there “awareness”.

When I took my test 30 years there was about 10 of us in a room, the trainers opening line was.

“Have a good look round the room at everyone, in five years half of you will be dead, now who’s first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Volvomanuk; 9th August 2018 at 07:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    When I took my test 30 years there was about 10 of us in a room, the trainers opening line was.

“Have a good look round the room at everyone, in five years half of you will be dead, now who’s first.
    I was told a similar thing, the scary thing is it's not far off the mark!

About 40 years ago I slid sideways into the kerb at about 10mph and was thrown chin first into a fence. I was wearing whatever was trendy then for trail bikes, a full face helmet with no visor, it was designed to be worn with goggles. I always wore full face after that. I now have a day-glo Schubert’s C3 Pro. It's Ok, but their comms kit is ludicrously expensive. I am told the helmet is not fashionable in that colour, but in my late 50s I am well past all that.

Mine are all Snell rated. Crash and fire resistant. I just switched from Bell to a Chinese make at a third of the money, but with far higher testing spec and I am delighted.

Sent from my Crystal using TZ-UK mobile app

I was just looking at the Shoei Neotech II - I do like the fact that the chin guard can be flipped up... a nice option when poodling around.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was just looking at the Shoei Neotech II - I do like the fact that the chin guard can be flipped up... a nice option when poodling around.
    I haven’t checked the Neotech, but make sure you are happy doing that - if you find out that the helmet isnt rated or legal to use (in motion) with the chinguard raised.

Many are not.

[EDIT]. Neotech 2 would appear to be legal and rated to use in the flipped configuration.
    Last edited by blackal; 11th August 2018 at 05:16.

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Mine are all Snell rated. Crash and fire resistant. I just switched from Bell to a Chinese make at a third of the money, but with far higher testing spec and I am delighted.

Sent from my Crystal using TZ-UK mobile app
    Lots of Chinese manufacturers are good at producing certificates etc - with no factual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I haven’t checked the Neotech, but make sure you are happy doing that - if you find out that the helmet isnt rated or legal to use (in motion) with the chinguard raised.

Many are not.

[EDIT]. Neotech 2 would appear to be legal and rated to use in the flipped configuration.
    Thank you. Definitely the one for me, pending a try-on for fit.

I've used a Shoei Neotech for years Tony, a brilliant bit of kit - I'm sure the II will be an upgrade on mine. It's also custom designed to take a Sena 10 bluetooth device which I find useful with the bikes satnav, you can hear directions and an audible beep for speed camera alerts. Of course you can also communicate with other riders or even listen to music and take calls (if that's your thing) using the Sena.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've used a Shoei Neotech for years Tony, a brilliant bit of kit - I'm sure the II will be an upgrade on mine. It's also custom designed to take a Sena 10 bluetooth device which I find useful with the bikes satnav, you can hear directions and an audible beep for speed camera alerts. Of course you can also communicate with other riders or even listen to music and take calls (if that's your thing) using the Sena.
    Good to know, Duncan. Aside from music, I'd be able to hear the sat nav on my phone, so a great benefit.

The Shoei are great if you get a good fit. Mine is ok, I'd prefer it slightly more snug, but it's good for touring, and the inbuilt sun visor is fantastic.

We use intercoms when touring, or on longer trips, and they are great for bike to bike and bike to passenger comms - but lots of people prefer not to hear the missus sometimes lol

Ultimately I prefer Arai for fit and use my RX7 or Quantum most of the time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    ... but lots of people prefer not to hear the missus sometimes lol
    I but prefer not to hear the missus sometimes all the time when she's my pillion.

(Come to think about it, that's not the only time either).

R

I haven't ridden my bike in years (it's rusting quietly in the back of the garage) but still keep a lid for track days in the car. Last one came from J&S accessories in Waterlooville - came in at just under half RRP, think it was last year's model or something (like I care about that).

Tony, I think you're somewhere up St. Albans way? There's a massive store there, might be worth swinging by for a look:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/stores/stalbans

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Tony, I think you're somewhere up St. Albans way? There's a massive store there, might be worth swinging by for a look:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/stores/stalbans

Cheers,

Plug
    Yes I am, and thanks very much. That’s really helpful.

Edit: sweet Jesus
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th August 2018 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Last one came from J&S accessories in Waterlooville - came in at just under half RRP, think it was last year's model or something (like I care about that).
    I always buys last year’s colours too as like a bargain - so be aware there is a “use by” recommendation based on the age (stamped into the chin strap) which could possibly be a problem if using for track days or racing depending on the level of scrutinieering.

That said my friends when they raced always had one set of kit for scruitineering and a slightly more used set for racing.

Master
    Tony different helmets suit different heads, I think Shoei are round and Arai are egg ( front to back) . I personally ride a Shoei Neotech Large and a Davida Jet ( open face) XL.
    Key thing with lids is , and Im sorry if Im stating the obvious as you have been biking a while is comfort A when bought
    B long term.

I was told by a guy in a bike accessory shop to put the helmet on for at least 15 mins and walk around the shop. The dilemma is , if a helmets comfy from the off..........its too big!

Initial fit should be tight , feeling your cheeks touch your jaw , usuall finger test on the forehead.

But helmets like the Neotech feel different open and closed, as you close the Neotech it will tighten up side to side. When its really hot and my bonce starts to expand I flip the front on my Neotech and I can feel the pressure easing.

Open face , with risks yes, but fantastic visibility, has to be Davida!
    Steve

Davidas are wonderfully pretty. So much so that their place is on display in a glass cabinet.
    Not on your head when you’re riding a motorcycle. Might as well go without a helmet and enjoy the freedom.
    At least you won’t have the illusion of being protected.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Davidas are wonderfully pretty. So much so that their place is on display in a glass cabinet.
    Not on your head when you’re riding a motorcycle. Might as well go without a helmet and enjoy the freedom.
    At least you won’t have the illusion of being protected.
    Ok, can you explain your line of thinking please.
    Steve