closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike helmets

Wonderful they are. Most, if not all were not road legal when I was riding daily.
    That doesn’t mean that Davida didn’t submit them. It means none of the models they used to sell failed the homologation tests.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Wonderful they are. Most, if not all were not road legal when I was riding daily.
    That doesn’t mean that Davida didn’t submit them. It means none of the models they used to sell failed the homologation tests.
    What an odd thing to say. Davida make fine helmets which are completely legal for motorcycle use in the UK. Snell tested helmets, as some one mentioned above are not unless they have an EC rating too.

I did put the caveat of “when I was riding daily “.
    The speedster was only homologated at the end of 2016, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes I am, and thanks very much. That’s really helpful.

Edit: sweet Jesus
    J&S in Plymouth is my default go-to motorbike accessory store, great product range, keen prices and above all, helpful staff.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Get a good fitting helmet. The Shark Evoline is worth a look as you can convert from full face to open face quickly.

The other things to look for (and in no specific order):

1. Do you want an internal visor (I find them really useless as I wear glasses)?
    2. D ring or ratchet locking system on the strap? Again the ratchet is easier but I prefer D Ring, probably its because what I started with
    3. Weight (for some it makes a difference).

Remember the rest of the kit too, although now you can get reasonably casual stuff that protects well as well.

I will be back in Ruislip soon and will have time to help if you need a hand. (you can pm me)

Well, I ended up trying on about a dozen helmets, many of which were flip ups. They were either uncomfortable, made me look like a complete tit, or both.

In the end I went with a fairly straightforward Arai - the Axces 3. By far the most comfortable, beautifully made and I only look like a slight tit in it.

The guy virtually refused to sell me an open face. He kept saying "So do you like your chin?"

Comfort is key, enjoy and safe riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t found a more comfortable brand than Arai, and have been wearing them for around 35 years - I make a point of trying different brands and models when I’m in bigger bike stores, but Arai fit me best - or maybe my head has shaped itself for their helmets ;)

I have bought a Shark ATV Drak for when I’m moving cattle though, and it seems alright so far - the holes drilled in the sides by your ears are good for being able to hear most things, and a little safer than the baseball caps previously worn.

Tony, you just need a jacket (possibly pants/jeans) and some decent gloves and boots now. I’d recommend considering some light waterproofs too for the days you are caught out in the rain; it’s the UK after all.
    It's just a matter of time...

I bought some really nice Richa leather and Goretex gloves today, Scott. I didn’t really have time for the jacket but will pop back and have another look. There were also some nice ones at the training school and I get a discount there, so I’ll definitely be able to pick one up next week.

I will think about the other bits too, of course, but probably won’t be buying them immediately.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th August 2018 at 19:20.

Sounds like you are well on the way to being fully kitted out :)
    It's just a matter of time...

I will think about the other bits too, of course, but probably won’t be buying them immediately.
    Get some neck wraps! Probably more important than the helmet

Well, I ended up trying on about a dozen helmets, many of which were flip ups. They were either uncomfortable, made me look like a complete tit, or both.

In the end I went with a fairly straightforward Arai - the Axces 3. By far the most comfortable, beautifully made and I only look like a slight tit in it.

The guy virtually refused to sell me an open face. He kept saying "So do you like your chin?"
    Good choice Tony - Arai make quality helmets.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Can't go wrong with an Arai.

Have a look at the youtube vid of how to remove and fit visors - it can be frustrating for new owners.

Arais should also have fully removable liners - wash with shampoo on a regular basis to keep it all nice and fresh.

Bizarrely I was just about to resort to YouTube to work out how to fasten the bloody thing properly

Edit: Ah, I was doing it correctly
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th August 2018 at 09:19.

Blimey, this is like a money pit.

Along with the (YBR and) helmet, I've now acquired a Jacket (a retro-styled Oxford Hardy) complete with added back protection...

Some decent boots (Alpinestars Faster-2)...

Some gloves (Richa Hurricane GTX)...

And a bike cover (Oxford Stormex - hopefully big enough for the next bike too)...

Just pants now, but they can wait for a while as I don't know what I want yet.

It is expensive as you will probably end up with a few sets of everything too... it is worth it as it will extend your riding season massively having the right gear. If you decide to ride through winter don’t mess about and just buy a heated jacket and something waterproof to go over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

When I got back into biking after a ten year hiatus a few years ago I bought top end Rukka jacket and trousers and top end boots and gloves. The only thing I regularly wear now are the gloves, when riding I usually wear a pair of walking boots, a pair of Levis and my Belstaff Panther if it's chilly, the Rukka if its wet. If it's hot like it has been the past couple of months I don't even bother with the jacket. I go for ride outs with a few mates and some wear ATGATT, others don't. I get plenty of head shaking and tut tutting at Loomies and H's but for me there's no point in riding if I don't feel comfortable, and cooking in sweltering temperatures isn't my idea of fun.

Again I'll say it's all down to your attitude to risk, if your risk averse and want all the bases covered you'll wear ATGATT if you're not you won't. I've ridden all my life apart from the ten year break and I've had a few spills in my younger days, in those days it was usually trainers or baseball boots, Levis and a Harrington jacket. I never did myself any permanent damage and I haven't come off in over 35 years now. You could say I'm due a big spill where as I could say I can't be to bad at minimising any risk by reading the road and traffic conditions. I'm not bothered either way, I enjoy my riding and I'm far too old to change now, que será, será!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    When I got back into biking after a ten year hiatus a few years ago I bought top end Rukka jacket and trousers and top end boots and gloves. The only thing I regularly wear now are the gloves, when riding I usually wear a pair of walking boots, a pair of Levis and my Belstaff Panther if it's chilly, the Rukka if its wet. If it's hot like it has been the past couple of months I don't even bother with the jacket. I go for ride outs with a few mates and some wear ATGATT, others don't. I get plenty of head shaking and tut tutting at Loomies and H's but for me there's no point in riding if I don't feel comfortable, and cooking in sweltering temperatures isn't my idea of fun.

Again I'll say it's all down to your attitude to risk, if your risk averse and want all the bases covered you'll wear ATGATT if you're not you won't. I've ridden all my life apart from the ten year break and I've had a few spills in my younger days, in those days it was usually trainers or baseball boots, Levis and a Harrington jacket. I never did myself any permanent damage and I haven't come off in over 35 years now. You could say I'm due a big spill where as I could say I can't be to bad at minimising any risk by reading the road and traffic conditions. I'm not bothered either way, I enjoy my riding and I'm far too old to change now, que será, será!
    Actually, Duncan, I'm thinking very similarly, hence the choice of jacket (very wearable as a "normal" jacket and with removable armour) and boots (with jeans, again pretty normal-looking). The jacket has a removable thermal lining too so it should be fine for most of the year.

I'm anticipating that I'll be doing two types of riding - town-poodling/commuting, and spins on the open rode. I still think I'll end up with an open face helmet for the former, where the risk profile is very different. As you say, it's all about enjoyment at the end of the day, and it's quite possible to manage risk whilst still having fun.

Well, I gave in (as I knew I would) and bought an open face for poodling around town (the full face will always be used for any serious riding). One of these.

Check out the AGV Legends series of full face helmets if you like the AGV quality.

I got the Gloria before I bought my bike. Toyed with the Ago as it was limited but went for the Gloria due to the visibility factor (which I see you’ve disregarded with the Darth helmet!).

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Check out the AGV Legends series of full face helmets if you like the AGV quality.

I got the Gloria before I bought my bike. Toyed with the Ago as it was limited but went for the Gloria due to the visibility factor (which I see you’ve disregarded with the Darth helmet!).
    This is one of the Legends series, John. I love the full face too, but did't discover them before I bought the Arai. Now, no man needs THREE helmets, right?

Motorbike helmets

Yes, sorry Tony, I know it’s the same series hence my direction to check out the full-face line. I could have been a bit clearer.

There’s room for as many as you like! I love mine. Really suits the bike and my jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Yes, sorry Tony, I know it’s the same series hence my direction to check out the full-face line. I could have been a bit clearer.

There’s room for as many as you like! I love mine. Really suits the bike and my jacket.
    It's a gorgeous helmet, John - and yes, I suppose I have gone a bit Darth. Not overly sensible in some ways, but I can't seem to help it.

I like that

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I like that
    It’s incredibly comfortable. I’m probably going to buy these to wear with it, which are made to wear over glasses.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It’s incredibly comfortable. I’m probably going to buy these to wear with it, which are made to wear over glasses.
    Not sure they would take the impact of a stone or other debris.

i'd wait and see what bike you get before you spend any more money on clothing etc , the open face with googles might suit the triumph or similar bike but you will look a complete cock in it on an mt07 or modern style bike :)
    also with the open face dont forget it doesnt matter if you are pootling around or travelling at speed, if you hit the ground face down with it on at 10 or 100 mph the road is going to remove the front of your face.
    Last edited by pugster; 9th September 2018 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i'd wait and see what bike you get before you spend any more money on clothing etc , the open face with googles might suit the triumph or similar bike but you will look a complete cock in it on an mt07 or modern style bike :)
    also with the open face dont forget it doesnt matter if you are pootling around or travelling at speed, if you hit the ground face down with it on at 10 or 100 mph the road is going to remove the front of your face.
    Yes, I accept the point about protection. However, I've already spent some weeks thinking about risk (and management thereof), and have made the decision that I'm going open face in situations where that risk is mitigated to some degree (that is, slower riding, shorter distances, etc). Plenty of people will think I'm nuts, and plenty of others will have done exactly the same thing themselves.

My heart is pretty much set on a Bonneville (or, possibly, the Ducati), subject to testing them. The closer I get to that, the less inclined I am to get something more modern-looking; if I do make an exception then I reckon it will be for something like the R NineT (which to my mind would be fine in terms of "retroness"). You're right, though - open face with aviator goggles on (say) and MT-07 would look strange, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not sure they would take the impact of a stone or other debris.
    Possibly not, Simon, but - again - I wouldn't be bombing along the motorway whilst wearing them and they'd certainly offer a lot more protection than my glasses alone.

having stuff hit you in the face is all part of the experience of motorcycle riding (whether visor up or open face ) , the first time i got a wasp in my helmet with my visor up im pretty sure i broke the world record for emergecy braking distances :P .

Another question similar to the OP... who still wears traditional unarmored motorbike jackets for riding? I have a couple of old Perfectos from Schott NYC, hence the question.

Me. I will wear my armoured Rukka for long journeys but for local stuff I wear a Belstaff Panther or my Baracuta G9. (Although the G9 can hardly be called a motorcycle jacket!)

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Me. I will wear my armoured Rukka for long journeys but for local stuff I wear a Belstaff Panther or my Baracuta G9. (Although the G9 can hardly be called a motorcycle jacket!)
    Good to know! I'm not talking long journeys either, but fully intend to wear mine.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd September 2018 at 10:00.

Found this video from Bell, and really enjoyed it. Sums up my love for the Bonnie

Last edited by learningtofly; 22nd September 2018 at 10:01.

Another question similar to the OP... who still wears traditional unarmored motorbike jackets for riding? I have a couple of old Perfectos from Schott NYC, hence the question.
    Like an open face helmet, where protection is good unless your chin make first contact with tarmac, a non armoured jacket is good protection as long as you don’t hit too hard, and slide. In other words it protects against a mild impact and, to a point, against abrasion.

Like probably a few here I started riding with a leather jacket ( a blue and white Furygan, one of the first models they produced).
    Later I used a Dainese under armour almost like this underneath any of the leather jackets I used.

I'm tempted by the Thruxton R although I think I'd want to change the bars so I'm sat up a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Like an open face helmet, where protection is good unless your chin make first contact with tarmac, a non armoured jacket is good protection as long as you don’t hit too hard, and slide. In other words it protects against a mild impact and, to a point, against abrasion.

Like probably a few here I started riding with a leather jacket ( a blue and white Furygan, one of the first models they produced).
    Later I used a Dainese under armour almost like this underneath any of the leather jackets I used.

Blimey. That's back armour

cant find the exact jacket I bought from these folk - but it was an RST Roadster leather jacket in a ‘distressed grey leather’

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/320181

I’ve bought a lot of gear over the years, but was really impressed with the quality, look, protection of this jacket.

Use it with or without the thermal liner.

I wear it on any of my bikes, but I reckon it would be a great jacket to go with a retro bike.

Do a search for RST Roadster?

Al

Motorbike helmets

The one you linked is lovely, actually. Thanks, Al - I’ll look at them properly.

It’s cheaper elsewhere, but J&S show some images:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/...lack/18810.htm

Heavy leather!

Master
    Some great gear at MotoLegends and 20% of Belstaff at the moment.

Blimey. That's back armour
    This one certainly is, mine was a bit lighter, with no front plates.
    However it allowed me to wear different jackets according to want or weather, instead of being stuck with the same all year round, or invest in jackets that were only for riding.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Some great gear at MotoLegends and 20% of Belstaff at the moment.

Indeed! Lots of bargains from everyone, especially in another month or so........

This is the time to be a buyer - dont wait until spring!

Christ! I feel a new helmet coming on! 😳

This Revit Stewart looks spot on, actually - there are perforated and non-perforated versions, and the reviews everywhere are excellent.

I've ordered both, and will make a decision on which to keep when I've checked out the weight/warmth.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th September 2018 at 11:50.

Are the sleeves detachable for the summer Tony, so you can show the tattoos off whilst cruising? Also, are you going for the shorn head and beard stylee? ;-)

. . .

. . .
    F.T.F.A.

Obviously I’ll just be riding in a wife-beater in the summer, Bob.

I do have tats and a goatee, mind...

Craftsman
    This Revit Stewart looks spot on, actually - there are perforated and non-perforated versions, and the reviews everywhere are excellent.

I've ordered both, and will make a decision on which to keep when I've checked out the weight/warmth.
    I really like that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Found this video from Bell, and really enjoyed it. Sums up my love for the Bonnie

I had a denim jacket like the guy at 1:03 , never went near a bike on it. Because...............I had a blue Belstaff Nylon trailmaster!

Still have it, and wear it for classic rallies, it doesnt have a gram of armour in it, slightly thicker two ply material at the shoulders and sleeves. Poppers and zip still work, but it HAS shrunk overtime and I cant close the belt. Must be to do with the ageing of the Nylon樂 clearly not the number of pies I have consumed!!!

Current open face Japanese bike lid

https://m.imgur.com/R64QFGB
    Last edited by higham5; 25th September 2018 at 18:05.

Perforated is really cold ! At least the leathers I had were. I think you will get a lot more use out of the normal one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Perforated is cold when the weather's cold, non-perforated is hot when the weather's warm. You can't win Tony!