closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motorbike helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Perforated is cold when the weather's cold, non-perforated is hot when the weather's warm. You can't win Tony!
    I can see where this is going!!!

In Cyprus i see then with a tshirt fliplops and shorts
    No helmet
    So many organ donors so little time

Well, the non-perforated version arrived this morning. It's even nicer than I'd hoped - supreme quality and reasonably light in weight - and the smell of leather has now permeated throughout the house. It's perfect for autumn with just a shirt or t-shirt underneath (plus it has a removable thermal lining, of course), and with a jumper will be fine for winter too; I'm definitely going to keep it.

The problem is, most of the buyer feedback I've read suggests that people like them so much that they just end up buying the 2nd version to provide an all-year round solution - either immediately or shortly afterwards (and now I understand why). Given that the perforated jacket is due in about a week, it doesn't bode well for my bank balance, because I don't imagine I'll ever find anything nicer without spending stupid money.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th September 2018 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Another question similar to the OP... who still wears traditional unarmored motorbike jackets for riding? I have a couple of old Perfectos from Schott NYC, hence the question.
    Yes, everyday.. Could be a Harrington, half length Driza-bone, corduroy overcoat, my garage overalls..

I was out riding at 6am this morning wearing a tweed jacket.. :D
    Last edited by steptoe; 26th September 2018 at 15:58.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post

I was out riding at 6am this morning wearing a tweed jacket.. :D
    And we ended up in todays Times and Telegraph.. publicity for sundays Distinguished Gentlemans Ride in aid of Prostate cancer and mens mental health..

Daily Telegraph.

The Times.

Motorbike helmets

Always wore a Davida Jet when riding the Triumph, A pair of aviator goggles and a bandana covering nose & mouth. It’s how I started riding & apart from a couple of forays into the sports bikes world (when I wore Shoei), always worked for me.
    Make sure your leathers are compatible for use with a back protector and armour, invest in good quality gloves and boots too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 27th September 2018 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    And we ended up in todays Times and Telegraph.. publicity for sundays Distinguished Gentlemans Ride in aid of Prostate cancer and mens mental health..

Daily Telegraph.

The Times.
    850 T3?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Always wore a Davida Jet when riding the Triumph, A pair of goggles and a bandana covering nose & mouth. It’s how I started riding & apart from a couple of forays into the sports bikes world (when I wore Shoei), always worked for me.
    Make sure your leathers are compatible for use with a back protector and armour, invest in good quality gloves and boots too.

I tried Davida but couldn't get on with it at all - in fact, after popping three hemets on and off I was almost crying from the pain on my ears.

Anyway, I ended up with an AGV X70, as per the posts somewhere in this thread. I'm thinking I may try these goggles, though, as they're made to wear over glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    850 T3?
    1978 T3 California

Lovely motor. I am tempted by a slightly more modern one, but not sure which between carbs, injection or the 1100 ev
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Motorbike helmets

I tried Davida but couldn't get on with it at all - in fact, after popping three hemets on and off I was almost crying from the pain on my ears.

Anyway, I ended up with an AGV X70, as per the posts somewhere in this thread. I'm thinking I may try these goggles, though, as they're made to wear over glasses.
    Know what you mean about the Davida, the padding took forever to bed in on the Jet, plus the thick profile made my head look really big. I persevered though & it became very comfortable (eventually). When it came time to change I switched to the new Speedster v3 which has a much thinner profile and softer padding.
    Those goggles are the ones I have, came with interchangeable dark tinted lenses for sunny days, bit of a faff to change though so I usually carried a pair of sunglasses as well. Never tried to use them over the glasses though.

Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 27th September 2018 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Those are the ones I have, came with interchangeable dark tinted lenses for sunny days, bit of a faff to change though so I usually carried a pair of sunglasses as well. Never tried to use them over the glasses though.

What do you reckon as an owner? My only fear is that they may be a bit wide for my helmet (it's a small).

What do you reckon as an owner? My only fear is that they may be a bit wide for my helmet (it's a small).
    They can catch on the side edge if the helmet is too small (I wear a small in the Davida) I just loosened the elastic so they weren’t pulling so tight and they sat much better. Never could manage to wear the elastic under the helmet as way to uncomfortable.

I realised I hadn't updated the helmet thread, so here's a shot of a new one that I bought to "go with" the R9T. It's an Arai Freeway Classic (bronze bandage finish) and i'm wearing it along with Ethen's Cafe Racer goggles... supremely comfortable and I LOVE the retro look.

I do have a plain black strap coming, and whilst the striped strap goes nicely with the bike I'll use that one with my black AGV open face instead.

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th May 2019 at 09:23.

What are those Gloves Tony? Goldtop?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    What are those Gloves Tony? Goldtop?
    Yes, the Bobbers (well spotted).

Yes, the Bobbers (well spotted).
    Thanks. They're on my shortlist for some new summer gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Thanks. They're on my shortlist for some new summer gloves
    The brown are FAR more supple than the black (I have both).

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=learningtofly;5110640]I realised I hadn't updated the helmet thread, so here's a shot of a new one that I bought to "go with" the R9T. It's an Arai Freeway Classic (bronze bandage finish) and i'm wearing it along with Ethen's Cafe Racer goggles... supremely comfortable and I LOVE the retro look.

I do have a plain black strap coming, and whilst the striped strap goes nicely with the bike I'll use that one with my black AGV open face instead.

Love those goggles and helmet. I'm looking for an open face and liking that very much

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    I realised I hadn't updated the helmet thread, so here's a shot of a new one that I bought to "go with" the R9T. It's an Arai Freeway Classic (bronze bandage finish) and i'm wearing it along with Ethen's Cafe Racer goggles... supremely comfortable and I LOVE the retro look.

Love those goggles and helmet. I'm looking for an open face and liking that very much
    Sportsbikeshop for the helmet, Urban Rider for the goggles
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th July 2019 at 08:11.

Visit this link to find more best helmets that you may be interested.
    I just have one with the sunshield. You can view on Theriderbase to find the good one.

Quote Originally Posted by harveyspecter1209 View Post
    I just have one with the sunshield. You can view on Theriderbase to find the good one.
    Why have you added extra text to my post that you quoted? I don't know that website and wasn't referring anyone to it so can you amend your post please?

In other news, Jasons helmet sales listing (oooerr) prompted me to look at what DMD have to offer, and the range currently in their sale is amazing!

Master
    Why have you added extra text to my post that you quoted? I don't know that website and wasn't referring anyone to it so can you amend your post please?

In other news, Jasons helmet sales listing (oooerr) prompted me to look at what DMD have to offer, and the range currently in their sale is amazing!

Tony their not helmets, they are art-forms, cracking site.

This is my open face , always gets comments, but even after 4/5 years still rock hard to get off. Comfy when on though

https://www.24helmets.de/DAVIDA-Jet-Creme-Red-Rays-ECE

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony their not helmets, they are art-forms, cracking site.

This is my open face , always gets comments, but even after 4/5 years still rock hard to get off. Comfy when on though

https://www.24helmets.de/DAVIDA-Jet-Creme-Red-Rays-ECE
    I love Davida helmets, but sadly they don't fit me. That one's lovely!

Master
    I love Davida helmets, but sadly they don't fit me. That one's lovely!
    Tony I know what you mean. The fit is unique. In use its the quietest helmet I have ever owned. Paying for petrol is hard unless you can lip read. It suits the look of my classic 1977 two stroke to a tee. BUT I can see why so many appear for sale having been worn a few hours. Mine took at least 20+ hours to bed in and I bought an XL and normally take a L.

Lastly the finishing from the aviator leather interior to the deep gloss paint is stunning.

Steve

Ps Ideal for the monkey bike too!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

Motorbike helmets

Have you looked at flip up lids recently Tony?? I have never considered one in the past, until one of my ride mates bought one. You get all the benefits of a full face, ie wind rain etc protection, chin and facial protection, but flip the lid up and its great in town, traffic, fuel stops etc.

I bought a Neotec 2 and have never looked back. Its the most comfy lid I have ever had. Its quiet, very quiet, fits well, easy to get on and off. Its now my goto lid. I know some makes dont suit everyone, so if you like the idea of a flip, or are simply willing to give one a go, try on various makes. I may even sell my other lids now as I think this Neotec is a ‘good for all’ lid.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by cinnabull; 13th July 2019 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Have you looked at flip up lids recently Tony?? I have never considered one in the past, until one of my ride mates bought one. You get all the benefits of a full face, ie wind rain etc protection, chin and facial protection, but flip the lid up and its great in town, traffic, fuel stops etc.

I bought a Neotec 2 and have never looked back. Its the most comfy lid I have ever had. Its quiet, very quiet, fits well, easy to get on and off. Its now my goto lid. I know some makes dont suit everyone, so if you like the idea of a flip, or are simply willing to give one a go, try on various makes. I may even sell my other lids now as I think this Neotec is a ‘good for all’ lid.

Stuart

I've got a Nolan flip up which I picked up for not much money. Really effective when it's warm outside and you fancy some air!

Downsides are: they don't look as good as proper open face and they are very prone to wind noise at speed vs full face - all in all a good compromise though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post

Stuart

Plus 1 for a Neotec, I love mine and like the concealed sun visor which is great on a European tour when you arrive at a tunnel you can flip it up. With sunnies on you proceed carefully with a very gloomy vista!

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    In regards to wind noise, the Neotec 2 is actually the quietest helmet I have ever owned. I have had Arai, AGV, HJC and Shoei full face lids. I have had the SRL intercom installed. Its an integrated fitment and leaves the outside of the lid untouched. This means there is no matchbox sized bluetooth intercom on the outside of the helmet. I can definitely notice a lack of the ‘whooshing’ noise that the Interphone Tour creates at medium to high speed on my Arai Chaser. And yeah, the drop down visor is really useful. Seems good optically as well.

Also the Neotec 2 is one of the few lids to have been given safety accreditation to be used with the flip in the up position. When I bought it, I was told unless the flip lid has this accreditation its actually illegal to ride with it flipped up.

Stuart

Watch out for this. Saw it on news today.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-12/...investigation/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post

Pretty sobering...🙁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post

I saw it too but would you buy a “branded” helmet from and unknown seller for £75....that should be a big red flag that its not what it appears to be🤔

Master
    I was struggling trying on Davida at their stand at Motorcycle live when the lovely lady on the stand said your doing it wrong....you have to pull the bottom of the helmet outwards by the straps alot, I thought I would break it but she assured me it was fine. After that getting them on and off was easy.

Blog Entries
    Currently use a Shoei full face but really fancy one of the Shark Evoline 3 flip helmets. Anyone got one or had one, be interested to hear how you got on with it?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I gave into temptation at the Manchester Motorbike show earlier this year and bought one of these:

https://www.manxdirect.com/classic-f...eam-2041-p.asp

Mainly because it was a perfect colour match for my Rocket - the red leather lining did it for me too... However...

It is absolutely unusable over 30mph - the noise is really bad, so much so that I actually stopped halfway through my maiden voyage to buy a set of ear plugs (I was also wearing a new jacket and had left my ear protection in the old one).

It is gorgeous though.

I did see that DMD do one in an identical colour scheme though - it's even called the Rocket! I may just give that a go...

Most time I use a Shoei flip-face, which is just about the perfect compromise for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Currently use a Shoei full face but really fancy one of the Shark Evoline 3 flip helmets. Anyone got one or had one, be interested to hear how you got on with it?
    I've got one in the garaaarrge currently redundant due to my bike getting pinched earlier this year. But it is a comfy helmet and just like full face flipped down and neat when up due to design. One handed operation too. I would recommend it, easily equal to my Shoei.

Craftsman
    Love my Union Flag painted Davida (but you must try it on before purchase due to the before mentioned tightness).
    But because it is tight, it is quiet and warm.

The Shoei J O is too drafty, my skull froze over (at least it felt like it, so that was returned).