closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The problem with drones.

Master

The problem with drones.

Having lunch in the garden of friends in the country near Saffron Wolden - all very merry and happy. Heard this buzzing noise for a while which got louder. When it drew our attention we saw a drone a hundred metres overhead which stayed in place for over 2 mins before push off only to return a few hours later to repeat the process. A few V signs had no effect. An invasion of privacy which is likely to increase given their popularity I fear. Or maybe someone casing the place for future burglary?
    Unsettling for the residents regardless.
    These things are becoming a right pain in the butt!

Craftsman
    An air gun could be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I was thinking a heavy-duty catapult filled with lead shot. Same affect as a shotgun, but not as illegal.

Good point this. These drones present a possible invasion of privacy don't they? So what, if any action can one take to get rid of them and if you "shot them out the sky" are you liable for damage?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I was thinking a heavy-duty catapult filled with lead shot.
    Nah, Johnny Dronehunter's your man.

Last edited by petethegeek; 6th August 2018 at 08:26.

How close were you to Stansted/Duxford/Cambridge http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/

How hard is it to bring a commercially viable ground-to-air missile to market?
    "A man of little significance"

if plod ever get around to enforcing the Air Navigation Order - or understanding it for that matter - this should stop. The legislation states that a drone should not be within 150m of a built up area, 50m from individual structures and under 120m from ground.

I'd suggest that if you could hear said drone over the party you'd find it was probably within 50m.

Also i hear that mandatory registration is on the way - sure this isnt going to put people off to begin with but a couple of high profile court cases would dissuade most i reckon.

Master

The problem with drones.

Just one problem

You shoot it with a pellet, it penetrates the lipo battery, then this is falling from the sky.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X75Lwhrgqcg

Damage it and it goes off on the ground, possibly while your all enjoying your Sunday lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Volvomanuk; 6th August 2018 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    Just one problem

You shoot it with a pellet, it penetrates the lipo battery, then this is falling from the sky.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X75Lwhrgqcg

Damage it and it goes off on the ground, possibly while your all enjoying your Sunday lunch.

Erm........................if you were stupid enough to hammer a nail into any hi power charged battery, whatever the technology the results would be similar

It's not a problem with drones, it's a problem with drone owners who break the law. Same as with cars, we have speed limits and a whole set of other rules, but still people will do what they want. Same with drones, the rules are clear that you cannot fly over private property, let alone use video.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    if plod ever get around to enforcing the Air Navigation Order - or understanding it for that matter - this should stop. The legislation states that a drone should not be within 150m of a built up area, 50m from individual structures and under 120m from ground.

I'd suggest that if you could hear said drone over the party you'd find it was probably within 50m.

Also i hear that mandatory registration is on the way - sure this isnt going to put people off to begin with but a couple of high profile court cases would dissuade most i reckon.
    Brilliant, like the Police have the staff to deal with crime let alone drones!

Personally I loath drones, noisy pointless bastard things. If one were over my land I would happily shoot it down.

I'm not suggesting the already thinning force be diverted to policing drone use. Don't get me wrong, as Raffe said above is the people that are the problem, it should become less of an issue once a few people start getting fined etc.
    The people that don't care won't be stopped unless directly prosecuted, same as with anything.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Can we pretend we thought it was a wood pigeon, now that we have established one didn’t need a licence ?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

would it be illegal to shoot it down with a crossbow? of course not many people have them laying about

Train a hawk?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Burglars don't use drones. A drone 100m in the air with a 4k camera is useless for casing your house.

No point waving to it, the guy who owns it is probably looking at at the image on a phone in bright sunlight and will see nothing of any detail.

Best way to see if a house is worth stealing from is walking past and having a look.

Drones are noisy though, you'd definitely hear one 100m up.

A friend of mine said a gypsy camp has recently moved into his village, they are using Drones to see whats worth stealing from peoples Gardens, then of course come night time go steal what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Can we pretend we thought it was a wood pigeon, now that we have established one didn’t need a licence ?
    😂

Master
    I agree that inappropriate use of drones is anti-social, there’s one flies occasionally over my property and it’s annoying, even though I’m not hiding anything and there’s nothing to see! I suspect I know who it is, and will get around to having a chat with them at some point.

A couple of years ago, I attended an event where various methods were trialled to stop them, from electronic to physical. I can’t really say much more than that, but they were surprisingly difficult to stop!

As ever with the legislative route, it will inconvenience the law abiding but do nothing to stop those of criminal intent or are just ignorant.

I had a go at drone racing at a model air show recently, viewed through FPV goggles. It was exhilarating and vomit inducing in equal measure...

Master
    I'm surprised it took so long for something like this to happen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45077057

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I'm surprised it took so long for something like this to happen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45077057
    It's been happening for years in Iraq and Syria.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It's been happening for years in Iraq and Syria.
    With modified commercial drones though ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    With modified commercial drones though ?
    Both modified Phantoms as well as DIY drones.

This is what a little money can buy, even cheaper if you can assamble yourself: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Octocop...-/253023861119

This one can carry 37 lbs, enough to blow up a building.

The problem with drones.

This is what a little money can buy, even cheaper if you can assamble yourself: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Octocop...-/253023861119

This one can carry 37 lbs, enough to blow up a building.
    Obviously still dangerous but more than half that weight is the drone.

It's not a problem with drones, it's a problem with drone owners who break the law. Same as with cars, we have speed limits and a whole set of other rules, but still people will do what they want. Same with drones, the rules are clear that you cannot fly over private property, let alone use video.
    Ah the old, "it's not guns/drones/cars that kill/annoy/kill people, it's people" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A friend of mine said a gypsy camp has recently moved into his village, they are using Drones to see whats worth stealing from peoples Gardens, then of course come night time go steal what they like.
    More likely it’s local scrotes who will be happy for the Travellers to take the blame. Near the village I grew up in is a Travellers camp. I know people who will happily load up their trailer/horse box with crap and then fly tip it outside the site as it ‘will be cleared up by the taxpayer anyway as they always leave piles of crap’

I’m not defending travellers, but don’t see them being that sophisticated in their quest for your neighbours lawnmower.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Ah the old, "it's not guns/drones/cars that kill/annoy/kill people, it's people" argument.
    You've got a point there...

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    More likely it’s local scrotes who will be happy for the Travellers to take the blame. Near the village I grew up in is a Travellers camp. I know people who will happily load up their trailer/horse box with crap and then fly tip it outside the site as it ‘will be cleared up by the taxpayer anyway as they always leave piles of crap’

I’m not defending travellers, but don’t see them being that sophisticated in their quest for your neighbours lawnmower.
    They've seen the drones leaving and returning to the Gypsy camp, you clearly underestimate their desire make their income from stealing things, if they steal one caravan it's paid for the cost of the drone, they might be scum but they're inventive scum sadly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post

30 years policing , I can say that when it comes to thieving they are remarkably sophisticated!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Kill it. Cook it. Eat it.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Buy a toy/mock shotgun and aim it at the drone. I'll bet you won't see it again.

If he reports you for trying to shoot him down he's also admitting to flying over a built up area. You simply state you were playing with your son's toy.

Maybe rig it to "shoot" some talcum powder out the end....!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Erm........................if you were stupid enough to hammer a nail into any hi power charged battery, whatever the technology the results would be similar
    A pellet only has to damage the outer layer, these batteries in the video are designed for RTR dji drones hard pack, soft pack lipos are easier to pierce and do have a tendency to explode.

So if you want hot burning metal falling from the sky on your party feel free to buy an air gun sub 12lbs if no FAC practice then take it everywhere with you in the hope of retribution.

Rather than start a new thread - these are currently being touted across the net
    https://zalotech.com/drone/xpro/?tid...sznoe4sm6yzj6x

And for £50-60 look like a neat toy for Santa to include with the obligatory satsuma, any thoughts as I know the square root of nothing re-inexpensive drones, at that price I could add some extra batteries as well.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Drone killer drones?

I rather wish that this thread was titled: 'Where Do You Stand on Drones?'

...right in the middle, as hard as you can.

My main gripe being that you can be in the middle of some amazing natural wonder, quietly contemplating the beauty, when some mindless twerp destroys the peace in order to get a few hits on YouTube and remind you of mankind's immense ability for thoughtlessness in the process.

A tactical drone gun maybe the answer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

My main gripe being that you can be in the middle of some amazing natural wonder, quietly contemplating the beauty, when some mindless twerp destroys the peace in order to get a few hits on YouTube and remind you of mankind's immense ability for thoughtlessness in the process.
    To a point I agree with you, BUT........I’ve seen some pretty spectacular videos of places of supreme beauty videoed from a drone. Without said drone I wouldn’t have been able to appreciate it from a view I wouldn’t otherwise see.
    Just for clarity, I’ve never owned or even operated a drone.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    To a point I agree with you, BUT........I’ve seen some pretty spectacular videos of places of supreme beauty videoed from a drone. Without said drone I wouldn’t have been able to appreciate it from a view I wouldn’t otherwise see.
    I have no problem with professionals or gifted amateurs who work discreetly, avoiding times that might disturb other visitors. This is usually in their interests in any case, to capture dramatic footage of a place otherwise deserted.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    would it be illegal to shoot it down with a crossbow? of course not many people have them laying about
    I think firing crossbow bolts into the air is probably more likely to get the shooter in trouble to be honest. What goes up and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I agree. Some great footage has been filmed from drones no doubt. I can imagine they’d become annoying if they were buzzing over your house though.

what if if you chuck a towel up and catch the blades, still there is a chance it could crash through the neighbours greenhouse or maim a random kid so best to leave to the police

and if you can't beat them join them:

Last edited by Xantiagib; 18th December 2018 at 14:48.

Master
    I see the future, I see a new reality show

'Drone Wars
    '

Remember you saw it here first

Looking at the total chaos at Gatwick, I say ban them all.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    How would that be enforced ?

What with burglars brazenly walking into properties to steal because they know there’s not enough law enforcement to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Punishing the many for the irresponsible actions of the few does not make any sense.

Blog Entries
    A good mate of mine gave up a full weekend and handed over a pocket-busting roll of cash to get properly qualified to fly his drone which he uses for civil engineering purposes. It cannot be right that any bugger can just buy a drone and take to the air in blissful ignorance. Part of the problem at Gatwick was that the drones came back for seconds which is just a complete piss-take!

Reluctant as I am to suggest more legislation, when you get airports like Gatwick having to close down operations, the solution here has to be proper licensing and training with pretty draconian penalties for those who carry on regardless of CAA regulations.

Master
    This Gatwick fiasco had to happen - it was just a matter of time and will probably encourage others to try their luck at other airports. Better than a downed flight though, so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    This Gatwick fiasco had to happen - it was just a matter of time and will probably encourage others to try their luck at other airports. Better than a downed flight though, so far.....
    Wonder how we would cope with a concerted attack with few airports to divert to?