closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Importing a Motorcycle from US

Importing a Motorcycle from US

I'm seriously considering importing a motorcycle I've been eyeing up for a while in the US. I've researched duty's and taxes etc. But was wondering if anyone has any experiences, or knows of someone that has done similar and can share some knowledge and maybe make a recommendation as to who I should use to bring the bike across?
    Last edited by Ticker; 5th August 2018 at 19:06.

Have you also investigated the extra costs like testing and changing parts out to be UK compliant? I considered the same thing and it just didn’t add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Have you also investigated the extra costs like testing and changing parts out to be UK compliant? I considered the same thing and it just didn’t add up in the end.
    Shipping Fees, Duty and import tax aside, as I understand it, the headlight will need changing so that it illuminates the correct side of the road. Apart from that, am I right in saying:

UK registration fees with DVLA
    Number plates
    MOT

Is there anything else I've overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Shipping Fees, Duty and import tax aside, as I understand it, the headlight will need changing so that it illuminates the correct side of the road. Apart from that, am I right in saying:

UK registration fees with DVLA
    Number plates
    MOT

Is there anything else I've overlooked?
    Indicator Lights and speedo may also need doing. Depending on the bike it may also need an MSVA test.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm seriously considering importing a motorcycle I've been eyeing up for a while in the US. I've researched duty's and taxes etc. But was wondering if anyone has any experiences, or knows of someone that has done similar and can share some knowledge and maybe make a recommendation as to who I should use to bring the bike across?
    A friend of mine used to import used bikes for colleagues based over there all the time and made a good business out of it. Latterly, he’d holiday over there too, get them taken to an iso container at Phillie Docks and then ship them over.

He did well.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    A friend of mine used to import used bikes for colleagues based over there all the time and made a good business out of it. Latterly, he’d holiday over there too, get them taken to an iso container at Phillie Docks and then ship them over.

He did well.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you

Jim
    Thanks Jim, appreciate your kind words.

If your friend has any advice or pointers, I’d be very grateful.

Many thanks

Joedy

Master
    Blog Entries
    My pleasure Joedy

I’d love to ask him but he’s not available on this earth anymore. Sorry.

I do recall him saying that lights, reflectors and indicators all could need changing but not that much. Speedos were ok I think given it was USA but there’s a thought that their miles are smaller than ours and so gearing in Speedo drive MIGHT be an issue.

Hope this helps. I wish you well. Perhaps if you go ahead you can share your new wisdom, here.

jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate your kind words.

If your friend has any advice or pointers, I’d be very grateful.

Many thanks

Joedy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    My pleasure Joedy

I’d love to ask him but he’s not available on this earth anymore. Sorry.

I do recall him saying that lights, reflectors and indicators all could need changing but not that much. Speedos were ok I think given it was USA but there’s a thought that their miles are smaller than ours and so gearing in Speedo drive MIGHT be an issue.

Hope this helps. I wish you well. Perhaps if you go ahead you can share your new wisdom, here.

jim
    I'm pretty sure a US mile is the same as a UK one, actually. A US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon, though, so mpg figures won't be the same.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Blog Entries
    You’re dead right Dave but this buddy of mine believed there was a difference - and spent ages trying to prove it - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I'm pretty sure a US mile is the same as a UK one, actually. A US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon, though, so mpg figures won't be the same.

Master
    Aren't US bikes left hand drive?

Craftsman
    I had a grey import once, the bike was [almost] identical with the exception of needing a reflector adding, an immobiliser, and the engine temp was in degrees f not degrees c like the UK equivalent. If I remember correctly, there is quite a difference in spec between states so I’ve you chose wisely, there shouldn’t be a huge amount of work needed this side of the pond.

I thought I would rekindle this thread to update you.

I was on the cusp of pulling the trigger today, on a motorbike I've been hunting down, when I made a call to a shipping company (UK based) who advised me that due to temporary EU sanctions, there is an additional 25% duty imposed on all USA imports to the UK - then a further 6% duty and 20% VAT on top considering additional costs including shipping!!

Can anyone confirm this, or was this chap incorrect?

I always thought it was:

6% duty on the total purchase price of the bike, then 20% VAT to be added to this total and shipping charges. This doesn't apply to vehicles over the age of 30, I beleive...

Master
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

This should help!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

This should help!

Thanks lughugger, I was trying to find this on the gov website but couldn't. By the looks of it, it hasn't changed! Good news.

Master
    Thanks lughugger, I was trying to find this on the gov website but couldn't. By the looks of it, it hasn't changed! Good news.
    I’m afraid that it’s not so good news :( If you drill down through Imports then choose the United States then it does look as though there is a retaliatory duty imposed as you were advised (assuming that the engine is more than 800cc).

Master
    Cant comment on duty but on a positive note some new Bmw bikes have flat beam patterns so no oh or rhs pick up Not sure if this is true of American iron
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’m afraid that it’s not so good news :( If you drill down through Imports then choose the United States then it does look as though there is a retaliatory duty imposed as you were advised (assuming that the engine is more than 800cc).

I overlooked this.....bugger!