closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW wheel/tyre insurance?

BMW wheel/tyre insurance?

Just heading down the road of a new BMW on a PCP - had talks about alloy wheel/tyre insurance, anybody used it or any experiences?

Seems a decent package at £399 for 3 years cover?.

TIA.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Are you planning to stay overnight in Liverpool or something?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Are you planning to stay overnight in Liverpool or something?
    Oooooh, that hurt. This is not 1980's anymore you know...

Master
    Seems like another money spinner to me, based on the mileage covered in our house we could have claimed for one tyre at £200 in the last 9 years and over 300000 miles.
    So personally I wouldn't but then my old man probably would as he seems to pick up punctures a couple of times a year and has had a cracked wheel in the last 12 months.

I haven't used this cover, but after suffering four cracked wheels on my Z4 in 27 months, it would have saved me a packet.

Remember these policies typically have a number of claims limit.

They also tend to insist you have them dealt with immediately upon damage occurring with no replacement vehicle while your alloy is off being repaired.

Finally, often cheaper bought on-line if you do want the cover. Like all insurance, read the terms and not the marketing sheet.

Jon

I too would have saved money in my BMW if I’d bought tyre insurance. Run flats are buggers for picking up damaged side walls if you hit a pot hole and with the state of the roads at the moment that’s easy to do. My advice however would be to buy from an independent you’ll almost certainly save money.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Read the terms.

Does it cover scuffs? If so how often have you/your partner scuffed the alloys? Do you care if the wheels are scuffed and scraped?

Tyre price? If your TYRES are circa £150+each (like for like) and you have 18” or bigger you are more likely to have an IRREPARABLE puncture

What mileage (hence risk) do you do a year, and how much of it is town driving? You’re less likely to get a puncture and kerb rash on a motorway of course!

At £399 it sounds a decent price if the caveats above are covered.

I wouldn’t buy elsewhere as recommended above because they send you to the cheapest place ie not a main dealer
    Last edited by RJM25R; 4th August 2018 at 09:20.

Journeyman
    Had it on my previous car and more than paid for itself. Wish I’d took it out on my current having replaced all 3 tyres in the last 3 years due to damage

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Probably a good case for it wrt. those very low profile 19" wheels that seem so popular on BM sportier cars. They are very easily damaged structurally (cracked) as well as cosmetically, I know from bitter experience.

Thanks all - we didn't do it on our last car (X5) and the Mrs scuffed the rims on more than one occasion, this coupled to the run flats currently on the car make it seem good value.

Master
    Had 3 BMWs and refused it on all of them, the first one I was offered it for £300 and refused it, as I was signing the paperwork they came back and tried to push it for £100!! To me you have to be unlucky to get your money back but then I have never subscribed to this extra warrentry/insurance and over the years must have saved a fortune.

Update - turned this down, they came back with a ‘revised’ quote of £599 for 3 years, which I immediately rebuked. 10 seconds of muffled conversation and they came back with a £499 offer. Binned it if, I can get 4 tyres for that via my local dealer.

Thanks for the responses.

It depends how you drive.
    Had our 535 for 2 years now and no issues. Always really careful when parking and not even a scuff yet. When buying, the salesman was really trying to pressure us with the wheel insurance, but thinking that it’s about £50 for an alloy refurb, we said no. Seems to have been a good call...... so far...

Gap insurance, Gard-X, wheel and tyre cover and ( possibly) service plans are all nice little earners for the stealership.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Gap insurance, Gard-X, wheel and tyre cover and ( possibly) service plans are all nice little earners for the stealership.
    Not from us this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Update - turned this down, they came back with a ‘revised’ quote of £599 for 3 years, which I immediately rebuked. 10 seconds of muffled conversation and they came back with a £499 offer. Binned it if, I can get 4 tyres for that via my local dealer.

Thanks for the responses.
    What car have you bought ?
    (surely the package has more value on a high spec x6 than a basic 1 series with small alloys/wheels.)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Anybody would think it was some kind of business, in it for profit..... How very dare they!
    Last edited by RJM25R; 16th August 2018 at 07:14.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    What car have you bought ?
    (surely the package has more value on a high spec x6 than a basic 1 series with small alloys/wheels.)
    X4 M Sport - Goodyear run flats are £123 a corner.