timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Landscape lens recommendation?

Landscape lens recommendation?

Iíve just bought a 5d Canon (mk I) to complement the 40d (yes Iím so cutting edge, but the kit is still better then me). Iíve got 24-70, 70-200 (and x2 extender), and 90mm that fit the 5d. I wondered if anyone could recommend a cheap s/hand lens for landscapes to play with, manual only focus fine, donít mind getting suitable adaptor to fit it. I know some of you are good at spotting gems, have an awesome lens knowledge, anything I should keep an eye out for?
    Thanks

OT, but my 5D is in great need of a sensor clean. Cloning out spots has become more wearisome than cleaning will be so I intend to get some bits and do it myself, I'll put a thread up when I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    OT, but my 5D is in great need of a sensor clean. Cloning out spots has become more wearisome than cleaning will be so I intend to get some bits and do it myself, I'll put a thread up when I get around to it.
    Thatíd be great thanks, my 5D came from LCE, cosmetic a bit tired but 6 month warranty and internals looked clean from my brief function test. Not bad for ~£250, hope to get some time to play at the w/end.

Are you looking for a lighter lens specifically? If not, you have two lenses with excellent focal lengths for landscape (24-70 and 70-200). You could look out for a 16-35 but need to be careful when composing with a WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Are you looking for a lighter lens specifically? If not, you have two lenses with excellent focal lengths for landscape (24-70 and 70-200). You could look out for a 16-35 but need to be careful when composing with a WA.
    Renting cottage for summer holiday that I will have time to play in the evening/ early am, will be taking tripod and fancied playing with a WA lens. Looking for cheaper/ good value one as realistically I tend to use the 24-70 as the go too lens when out and about and donít want to heave the full range around/ being the family pack horse on trips out.

A left field option is to get a used 50mm f1.8 and take multiple shots and stitch together in your editing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Renting cottage for summer holiday that I will have time to play in the evening/ early am, will be taking tripod and fancied playing with a WA lens. Looking for cheaper/ good value one as realistically I tend to use the 24-70 as the go too lens when out and about and donít want to heave the full range around/ being the family pack horse on trips out.
    I use my 17-40L on my 5D for wide angle shots. Compared to my next lightest lens, a 24-105L at 670g, it feels small and light at 475g. Stopped down it's a good performer, and to get better you have to go up a lot in weight and cost. If these weren't a concern then the Tamron SP 15-30 f2.8 Di VC USD would be well worth a look, the only wide angle with stabilisation and that fast constant max aperture, sadly though a whopping 1100g! Ffordes have some used 17-40Ls in stock, £349 seems to be the going rate, so probably a lot more than you are looking to pay. I got lucky with mine several years ago, just before Jessops went to the wall. You could convert Tesco clubcard vouchers into Jessops vouchers at a rate of 4 to 1, and when I turned up to pay for the lens at Jessops they honoured the online reduced price I'd reserved it at!

Your 24-70mm is more than adequate for landscape photography … especially if prepared to 'stitch' a few images together .. which is a simple process with Photoshop Elements and similar software

Gavin Hoey videos are excellent ref the methodology for stitched wide angle panoramic landscapes or cityscapes … but note he uses the camera in 'portrait' (vertical) format rather than 'landscape'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xji5MKk-S4c … his viaduct panorama is an extreme example but shows what can be achieved with simple equipment … he's using a 5D Mk II and the 24mm end of his zoom lens

Easy to adapt his ideas to PS Elements

If you have the opportunity to attend any of Gavin's 'live workshops' / 'presentations' they are well worth a trip … I've attended two and the 'how to' CDs he offers at minimal cost are excellent value

It's not the lens which makes the photo … it's you and how you use the lens /camera

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 7th August 2018 at 00:09.
    "Ö but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Thanks all. As Iíve got the evenings clear on holiday the plan was to play with existing glass (I do have a nifty fifty). Just fancied trying a cheap (but good) WA in the mix for learning purposes. I recognise that I lack natural talent and landscape have always been my weakest area/ least interest so thanks for the links and lesson tip.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Gavin Hoey videos are excellent ref the methodology for stitched wide angle panoramic landscapes or cityscapes Ö but note he uses the camera in 'portrait' (vertical) format rather than 'landscape'
    I like Gavin Hoey's videos, I watches some re off camera flash a while ago. I found the one you linked to was very informative re what controls to use in Photoshop when processing the panorama shots. There's still a learning curve involved, but a least you know what to learn!

I like Gavin Hoey's videos, I watches some re off camera flash a while ago. I found the one you linked to was very informative re what controls to use in Photoshop when processing the panorama shots. There's still a learning curve involved, but a least you know what to learn!
    BTW Ö last time I attended a Gavin Hoey presentation he'd stopped using Canon and was using Olympus Ö He's now an 'Olympus Ambassador'

dunk
    "Ö but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Ditto. I look forward to your tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

After a search on TP, which is where I was sure I'd read about this method, I eventually found the thread. I cleaned a different camera with a pack of four pre-made swabs, bought from TP SC, and they worked fine but were expensive at full price, and I know I'll need more than four for my dust magnet that is a Canon 5D! This is the method I'll be using Tony . . .

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...cleaning.9766/
    https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tu...e-cleaning.50/

Perhaps not for the faint hearted, but taking the external AR off my Sinn 656 with a Dremmel wasn't too difficult so nothing ventured etc. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Thatíd be great thanks, my 5D came from LCE, cosmetic a bit tired but 6 month warranty and internals looked clean from my brief function test. Not bad for ~£250, hope to get some time to play at the w/end.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

While I was looking around for where to buy the bits to clean my sensor (of course it's a filter we clean, not the sensor itself) I chanced upon a thread elsewhere in which someone had (he thought) ruined his sensor. I read the thread through for any info, and it turns out that Eclipse withdrew their E2 fluid as it had been having a very bad effect on some sensors. It seems that the coating must have been changed on different batches as not all were affected. Canons have a 10 digit serial number and the common thing with the affected cameras was that the 1st and 6th digit in the serial number was 0. See here .

You can of course still buy Eclipse fluid, but I think I'll buy my pads and fluid from here . The spatulas required can be bought for £1.35 for 10 post free from ebay.