closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pocket watch

Master

Pocket watch

I’ve just stumbled upon my great grandfathers pocket watch in my parents loft.

It’s a T.R Russell which appears to be a Liverpool watch maker who was active in 1848.

The pocket watch is in rough shape but ticks when I turn the key slightly. In looking on getting it service and hopefully bring it back to life.

Question is .....does anybody know the service cost with a watch maker and what likely will need replacing on a pocket watch over 130 years old ?

How long is a piece of string ?
    You know this question is practically impossible to answer, but I’ll bazaars a guess between £ 5 and £750.

Nice find though. Top Sentimental value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be nice to see a picture.

My guess would be £100-£150 assuming no parts need replacing (apart from the mainspring, crystal maybe).

Master
    I’ve tried to upload but I’m on my iPhone and it’s saying attachments are too large ?

Not sure why it’s just a straight picture from my phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I’ve tried to upload but I’m on my iPhone and it’s saying attachments are too large ?

Not sure why it’s just a straight picture from my phone ?
    Best to use the Tapatalk app (not TZ-UK app) and tap the image icon that looks like 2 mountains.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Best to use the Tapatalk app (not TZ-UK app) and tap the image icon that looks like 2 mountains.
    Yes. That's how you add a picture or two.
    Essential to see this movement.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Interesting. Counterbalanced lever. Looks Swiss made. By Longines ? The pair of wings on the balance cock look like their early logo.

Master

There he is with it on

Wonderful picture.

Master

It comes with this case protector but the original glass has gone missing.

I’ve used the key to wind the mechanism but it only turns maybe a millimetre then ceases up but it does start ticking away for a couple of seconds.

Looks like I’m gonna need a new pair of hands of those ones can’t be straightened - they are a lovely blue though and change colour when the light hits them.

Hopefully I can get it to a decent level of repair, I’m delighted I found it.

Hopefully I can get it to a decent level of repair, I’m delighted I found it.

You could do a lot worse than ask Brendan for a quote, I dare say this would be right up his street. There are other repairers on the forum highly recommended for pocket watches. I think .olli. is one.

Banned
    Thanks Alfat,

I'm sure I could smarten this watch up.
    The hands could most likely be straightened too.

Master
    Im sorry to say that this has been taken in my house burglary. Been in the family for over 100 years and it goes after Ive had it less than a year.

The loss adjuster has asked me to put a value to it ? In terms of actual monetary value, does any have any idea of how much this would be worth ? I genuinely don't know where to start to even put a price on it ?

Banned
    Im sorry to say that this has been taken in my house burglary. Been in the family for over 100 years and it goes after Ive had it less than a year.

The loss adjuster has asked me to put a value to it ? In terms of actual monetary value, does any have any idea of how much this would be worth ? I genuinely don't know where to start to even put a price on it ?
    Definitely an early Longines.
    Longines gave me their history book a few weeks ago. It's a foot square and two inches thick. This is how us Irish review books... !
    I'll take a look to see if I can find this model.

Banned
    Here you go: Dates to 1872.

Although the plates are pierced on this only photo, the watch was made in three calibres. 19B, 19M, 19V.

Banned
    Longines are always interested in buying their old calibres.
    Mercy Johnson at the Longines museum, she may give you an accurate idea of value:
    mercy.johnson@longines.com

Master
    Absolutely brilliant ! Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

Banned
    My absolute pleasure Ivan.
    Your watch may yet turn up in a gold or silver bullion dealers or antique /charity shop nearby.
    I once bought a Birch and Geydon trench watch for £2.00 which disappeared from a house I was renovating. A week later it was in a local charity shop for sale at yes, £2.00 !!
    Please keep us updated.

Sorry to hear that. That is really awful.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Look what I found in a box of pocket watch movements. Not unlike the Longines you sadly had taken. Mine doesn't have the Hourglass logo so must be older than yours. It does have the recognisable 'pair of knockers' third and fourth wheel bridge.
    I guess you never got yours back ?

Master
    Great stuff.

Sadly it hasn't turned up and neither has any other item that was taken.

The police rang me after two weeks to say they are no longer actively searching for my car or any other the items as they don't have the resources.

My best bet is it turns up along the road somehow

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Great stuff.

Sadly it hasn't turned up and neither has any other item that was taken.

The police rang me after two weeks to say they are no longer actively searching for my car or any other the items as they don't have the resources.

My best bet is it turns up along the road somehow

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Theft leaves such a feeling of frustration and incredulity. The stolen items are often still where they were, in spirit.
    One can only hope that they turn up again.