closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moser Carbon Nanotube Watches

Moser Carbon Nanotube Watches

These came out a while ago but I only discovered them today.. the H. Moser & Cie ‘Vantablack’ watches.

The dials are made of vertically aligned carbon nanotube forests.. giving the ‘ultimately black’ look, thus demanding a price tag of, well a lot.

I have to admit I love the looks of these. However, incidentally.... I often work with the exact materials (refer to a picture below, taken today), and can make them for a fraction of the price :P

Regardless, what do you think of these ‘innovations’ in watches? Gimmicky or creative? Love to hear your thoughts; and other examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can make a Tourbillon for a fraction of the price, I’m interested 😀.

Joking aside, they are well out of my price range but I like them. Would the crystal make any difference to the visual effect?

I did my PhD on CNT research around 15 years ago, and of the many potential applications being flung around I don't remember this being one of them! Very cool though.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

I would absolutely love to see one in real life. I think they did on a moonphase too. I'm surprised Kash hasn't had one on SC!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    If you can make a Tourbillon for a fraction of the price, I’m interested 😀.

Joking aside, they are well out of my price range but I like them. Would the crystal make any difference to the visual effect?
    For that, I’m afraid I have to refer you to a certain Ali express site xD haha

I’m really not sure to be honest... I’d imagine so, unless you put 100 layers of anti reflective coatings on it. But I doubt that I’ll ever handle one of these to find out aha

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    I did my PhD on CNT research around 15 years ago, and of the many potential applications being flung around I don't remember this being one of them! Very cool though.

Ah that’s fantastic,

I know! The situation remains similar nowadays... a lot of ideas being thrown around, none quite as profitable as this!

Coincidently just saw this in my news feed. Also uses Vantablack.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Ah that’s fantastic,

I know! The situation remains similar nowadays... a lot of ideas being thrown around, none quite as profitable as this!

I'm sure it is. My favourite back in the day was the 'space elevator', with carbon nanotubes the only material strong enough to make a cable that could reach in to space without breaking! Then you could use it to transport stuff in to space. Funnily enough I haven't seen one yet...!

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    I'm sure it is. My favourite back in the day was the 'space elevator', with carbon nanotubes the only material strong enough to make a cable that could reach in to space without breaking! Then you could use it to transport stuff in to space. Funnily enough I haven't seen one yet...!

I remember that one poster of a CNT space elevator aha... don't want to bore TZers with the 1000 issues with that idea :P

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Coincidently just saw this in my news feed. Also uses Vantablack.

Yeah I saw this today as well, first time I'd heard of the collection.
    I think it looks really good, though imagine it would be slower in real time so be interesting to see a hands on video - Unless it's not a 60 second sub-dial? Can't quite work it out from the video.
    Last edited by Kamakazie!; 3rd February 2021 at 23:21.

I've held a few variations of the Moser Vantablack in the Harrods boutique. They are stunning in person. I much prefer the version without the tourbillion, because the dial deserves to be uninterrupted in my opinion. I also think red gold suits this dial better than white gold.

If I was buying a Moser, it would be the 39mm red gold venturer vantablack. Now I just need to find a big pot of money

https://www.h-moser.com/product/venturer/

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I've held a few variations of the Moser Vantablack in the Harrods boutique. They are stunning in person. I much prefer the version without the tourbillion, because the dial deserves to be uninterrupted in my opinion. I also think red gold suits this dial better than white gold.

If I was buying a Moser, it would be the 39mm red gold venturer vantablack. Now I just need to find a big pot of money

https://www.h-moser.com/product/venturer/
    'None blacker'.

Whoops, only just seen this thread, after I started one about the Final Edition! Never mind - here's the video of the cheese watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCUZYt8S5c

Great tech but like most Moser watches, it wouldn't look out of place in the window of H Samuel for £69.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Whoops, only just seen this thread, after I started one about the Final Edition! Never mind - here's the video of the cheese watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCUZYt8S5c
    Haha well done Moser

Master
    MIT engineers have created a blackest black coating from carbon nanotubes that is reportedly 10 times darker than any material created before, including Vantablack. The coating, which is made from vertically aligned carbon nanotubes (CNT) grown on chlorine-etched aluminium foil, can absorb 99.995 percent of visible light.

"Our material is 10 times blacker than anything that’s ever been reported," said Brian Wardle, professor of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT. Vantablack, which was created by Surrey NanoSystems, absorbs up to 99.96 percent of visible light and wasn't even the previous blackest black on record.

Vantablack's been around for a few years now & it's not just H Moser who've used it on watches - there are a couple of other watch brands who've dabbled.

More amusing to me was the furore in the arts community when Anish Kapoor secured sole & exclusive rights to use it, paying an undisclosed sum to Surrey Nanosystems. It prompted a backlash lead by another British artist, Stuart Semple; who in response created a pigment called 'the pinkest pink' which was available to purchase by anyone 'providing they were not Anish Kapoor.' Kapoor responsed by getting hold of some anyway, dipping his middle finger in it, and posting a selfie on Instagram. Artists, eh..