closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I am a one watch man ... and here is my SOTC

Master
    Blog Entries

I am a one watch man ... and here is my SOTC

How can a one watch man have a collection? ... well with a bit of creative accounting ...

Here is the collection (note the W10 is now sold)

This Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – Was an engagement gift in 1998 and I wore it every day for 18 years (apart from sports activities which required digitals) ... apart from servicing. When I bought this the Sub was about an extra £150 but I didn't consider it as I viewed the Zenith as superior as it had a very slim case and the while dial just seemed more fresh. In real life the dial is really very white if that makes sense. So I bought the Zenith as I just liked it better; I also remember the shop guy telling me Zenith were superior and that they supplied movements to Rolex.

When it was away with STS for service I joined this forum to find out about Grandad's watches (below) which I was wearing during service. This was the start of a collecting phase which I am backing out of ... I have always loved watches and this Zenith was going to be a watch for life but it has quite fine hands and when I needed reading glasses it was the excuse I needed to buy another watch...

39mm; 9mm thick. Model 02.0473.670

I still wear it sometimes but I can't get a comfortable fit on the bracelet as it has no micro adjust just a half link ... I guess if I stuck with it I would get use to the fit as it was fine for many years.

These two were inherited and as heirlooms they don't add to the watch count so at this stage it's still 1.

The round one was restored and service by Paul Walker on this forum and I wear this every Christmas.

Omega Seamaster – 1965 – Grandad’s Watch

Omega Seamaster – 1984 – Grandad’s Watch

Then I hit 50 ... combined with the reading glasses excuse I persuaded the wife she really needed to buy me a Rolex for my 50th to replace / upgrade the Zenith. After quite some research I settled on a 114270 as I wanted a more discrete Rolex than the Sub which was perhaps the obvious successor to the Zenith diver.

After I had owned it for a while I decided to replace the bracelet which made the watch feel like new; it was £1000 but it really made the watch feel nicer and gave it a new to me feeling.

At this stage the watch count was still 1 as the Zenith and Grandad's watches are heirlooms now and don't count.

At this point it could have all stopped and I could have worn the Explorer for the rest of my years ... but repeated visiting here had got me interested in other temptations.

Rolex Explorer – 2002 – Bought for my 50th birthday

Next came a CWC G10 – 2005 as everyone needs a beater so this does not add to the count ... and this is now sold.

Then came a Smiths W10 – 1967 ... birth year watch and military watch ticked off; great watch but didn't get much wear so now sold.

Next came a Breitling Top Time - saw these in a shop in Brighton lanes but they wouldn't budge on price so bought this from Austin Kaye; it was a great watch but I had repeated issues with the crown (front loader) and in the end returned it for a refund ... however, in the end I took the below Carrera as a exchange.

1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999; this is a excellent re-issue but in the end I found it a little hard to read and didn't wear it much so I sold it ... out of all the watches I have owned this is the one my wife thought looked the best.

Next I bought a AquaStar MatchRace II – Used for sailing - as this is a digital this doesn't count.

Next came a Seiko 37.5mm Quartz Diver - this is in the beater category so does not count.

Then mum gave me my Dad’s watch which she found in a drawer; I have only worn this a few times; it runs ok and sits in the heirlooms category so does not count. The pen knife that came with it is in my pocket every day so it'snice to have something of dad's with me each day. The watch isn't as good in real life as it looks in that photo ... but put next to the Explorer it looks, to the lay person, very similar and far better value for money.

Next up was our 20th Anniversary and the Tudor 58 was really tempting me so I persuaded the wife to buy me one to mark that and I bought here a very nice ring to balance the deal ... this meant the Explorer was placed on reserve as the 58 became the most worn watch. At this point there was no arguing that the watch count was up to 2.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB

Sailing with the 58

Cycling with the 58

The other Omega and the Mondaine in the photo are the wife's watches so don't add to my tally so with two watches that I wear the 58 & the Explorer and am currently a 2 watch guy ...

I switch between the two randomly ... I can't decide which I like best but the 58 gets more time as I do use the bezel and as it is a cheaper watch I am not really bothered if it gets a knock.

I have considered if the real solution here is to sell them both and buy a Sub ... few problems with that ... first I have thin wrists and the Sub may wear a bit big ... second the Sub would be quite an expensive watch to wear every day (although the value of the 114270 keeps going north beyond what I'd spend today) ... plus of course buying a new Sub isn't that easy; I'd like to try a new 41mm sub no date but given you can't even find one to try and don't know if it is a viable replacement for the 114270/58 pair ...

Every significant watch I have currently has a landmark meaning and a connection; I consider my watch count to be currently 2 ... maybe I could get to 1. Maybe the 58 is it and the Explorer could go but I know if I sold it I would never buy another Rolex as they are more than I'd really be happy to spend on a watch ... but the idea of combining them both into a new Sub does nag away at me a bit ... we will see ...

Anyway ... hopefully some of you found that of interest ...

Master
    Great one watch collection. I particularly like the two Omegas. The gold Christmas edition is lovely. The second Seamaster is similar to my wedding present a stainless steel Seamaster 1982 ( same “ square” shape as yours) that was serviced by Simon Freese just last year.

Master
    Great one-watch collection, and fantastic accountancy skills.

Lovely collection - the gold Omega looks brilliant

Impressive man maths.
    Good collection and write up too!

That Zenith is beautiful!!!

Craftsman
    I think the Explorer and the BB58 are a winning combo IMHO. Variety is the spice of life!

If it were one perhaps a SD. I have a 16600 and small wrists. It wears smaller than the Sub and has great wrist presence.

Great collection and enjoyed the write up. Maybe trade the BB58 and Explorer for a 14060M......that might work for you as it is a low key and easy to wear watch.

Fun thread, the Zenith still holds its own and is the highlight for me.

Should never have sold that G10 though, perfect lume.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    I think the Explorer and the BB58 are a winning combo IMHO. Variety is the spice of life!

If it were one perhaps a SD. I have a 16600 and small wrists. It wears smaller than the Sub and has great wrist presence.
    They are a great pair. The 16600 could be an option but it’s a matter of getting to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    Great collection and enjoyed the write up. Maybe trade the BB58 and Explorer for a 14060M......that might work for you as it is a low key and easy to wear watch.
    I have considered that, maybe I can try one at some point. But a sub feels too much of an obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    That Zenith is beautiful!!!
    Yeah, it’s a great watch but the fit and the fine hands just make it a less attractive choice than the Explorer or 58.

I’m planning to gift it to my nephew when he’s older and if he shows adequate interest.
    Last edited by Montello; 12th March 2021 at 19:12.

That was an excellent read thanks. Am hoping I will end up in a similar place, as currently have a black bay, and have decided my next milestone birthday will be reason enough to for me to dip my toe into the world of Rolex by adding an explorer.

Have also wrestled with the idea of scrapping the explorer plan, selling the black bay, and just getting a new sub, but I think current ceramic subs while lovely are just too blingy for me. Think I will be better off keeping the black bay for its vintage sub style, and going with the explorer alongside it. Now just need to find an AD willing to sell me one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed reading that and an interesting collection, thank you. I'm afraid I've got to agree with your wife though. I wouldn't have been able to part with the Heuer Carrera. I'll also own up to a liking for the distinctively clean and utilitarian lines of the Mondaine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    That was an excellent read thanks. Am hoping I will end up in a similar place, as currently have a black bay, and have decided my next milestone birthday will be reason enough to for me to dip my toe into the world of Rolex by adding an explorer.

Have also wrestled with the idea of scrapping the explorer plan, selling the black bay, and just getting a new sub, but I think current ceramic subs while lovely are just too blingy for me. Think I will be better off keeping the black bay for its vintage sub style, and going with the explorer alongside it. Now just need to find an AD willing to sell me one

Seems like we maybe in similar boats but I'd like to see a modern sub to see if I like it ... I suspect I may find it a bit shiny ... and maybe even a little big ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Seems like we maybe in similar boats but I'd like to see a modern sub to see if I like it ... I suspect I may find it a bit shiny ... and maybe even a little big ...
    I agree, while I’ve already talked myself out of the sub, if I were to see one in the metal it might well be a different story. If only that were an option - who knows, once the ADs open their doors again they might be fully stocked with Rolex sports models. Too optimistic?

As you sold the W10 it would seem totally reasonable take 1 off the count.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    As you sold the W10 it would seem totally reasonable take 1 off the count.
    My official count is 2.

I have quite a few watches, even given that I’ve lost one. Given one away as a fundraiser and given another one to a chap who loves Seiko’s. But I only wear my Seiko Save the Ocean Samurai. Depending where you are, I’ve a 16600 SD 2000 my. That you could try.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Depending where you are, I’ve a 16600 SD 2000 my. That you could try.
    Thanks for the kind offer but I’m in Kent.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only other watch I had considered as a replacement for the 114270/58 pair was this.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/f...29163493982283

But I’d never buy a Hodinkee watch but if this or similar was offered as standard it’s appealing at 38mm and 11mm thick.

Bit expensive mind ...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    How can a one watch man have a collection? ... well with a bit of creative accounting ...

Here is the collection (note the W10 is now sold)

This Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – Was an engagement gift in 1998 and I wore it every day for 18 years (apart from sports activities which required digitals) ... apart from servicing. When I bought this the Sub was about an extra £150 but I didn't consider it as I viewed the Zenith as superior as it had a very slim case and the while dial just seemed more fresh. In real life the dial is really very white if that makes sense. So I bought the Zenith as I just liked it better; I also remember the shop guy telling me Zenith were superior and that they supplied movements to Rolex.

When it was away with STS for service I joined this forum to find out about Grandad's watches (below) which I was wearing during service. This was the start of a collecting phase which I am backing out of ... I have always loved watches and this Zenith was going to be a watch for life but it has quite fine hands and when I needed reading glasses it was the excuse I needed to buy another watch...

39mm; 9mm thick. Model 02.0473.670

I still wear it sometimes but I can't get a comfortable fit on the bracelet as it has no micro adjust just a half link ... I guess if I stuck with it I would get use to the fit as it was fine for many years.

These two were inherited and as heirlooms they don't add to the watch count so at this stage it's still 1.

The round one was restored and service by Paul Walker on this forum and I wear this every Christmas.

Omega Seamaster – 1965 – Grandad’s Watch

Omega Seamaster – 1984 – Grandad’s Watch

Then I hit 50 ... combined with the reading glasses excuse I persuaded the wife she really needed to buy me a Rolex for my 50th to replace / upgrade the Zenith. After quite some research I settled on a 114270 as I wanted a more discrete Rolex than the Sub which was perhaps the obvious successor to the Zenith diver.

After I had owned it for a while I decided to replace the bracelet which made the watch feel like new; it was £1000 but it really made the watch feel nicer and gave it a new to me feeling.

At this stage the watch count was still 1 as the Zenith and Grandad's watches are heirlooms now and don't count.

At this point it could have all stopped and I could have worn the Explorer for the rest of my years ... but repeated visiting here had got me interested in other temptations.

Rolex Explorer – 2002 – Bought for my 50th birthday

Next came a CWC G10 – 2005 as everyone needs a beater so this does not add to the count ... and this is now sold.

Then came a Smiths W10 – 1967 ... birth year watch and military watch ticked off; great watch but didn't get much wear so now sold.

Next came a Breitling Top Time - saw these in a shop in Brighton lanes but they wouldn't budge on price so bought this from Austin Kaye; it was a great watch but I had repeated issues with the crown (front loader) and in the end returned it for a refund ... however, in the end I took the below Carrera as a exchange.

1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999; this is a excellent re-issue but in the end I found it a little hard to read and didn't wear it much so I sold it ... out of all the watches I have owned this is the one my wife thought looked the best.

Next I bought a AquaStar MatchRace II – Used for sailing - as this is a digital this doesn't count.

Next came a Seiko 37.5mm Quartz Diver - this is in the beater category so does not count.

Then mum gave me my Dad’s watch which she found in a drawer; I have only worn this a few times; it runs ok and sits in the heirlooms category so does not count. The pen knife that came with it is in my pocket every day so it'snice to have something of dad's with me each day. The watch isn't as good in real life as it looks in that photo ... but put next to the Explorer it looks, to the lay person, very similar and far better value for money.

Next up was our 20th Anniversary and the Tudor 58 was really tempting me so I persuaded the wife to buy me one to mark that and I bought here a very nice ring to balance the deal ... this meant the Explorer was placed on reserve as the 58 became the most worn watch. At this point there was no arguing that the watch count was up to 2.

Tudor Black Bay 58 on RubberB

Sailing with the 58

Cycling with the 58

The other Omega and the Mondaine in the photo are the wife's watches so don't add to my tally so with two watches that I wear the 58 & the Explorer and am currently a 2 watch guy ...

I switch between the two randomly ... I can't decide which I like best but the 58 gets more time as I do use the bezel and as it is a cheaper watch I am not really bothered if it gets a knock.

I have considered if the real solution here is to sell them both and buy a Sub ... few problems with that ... first I have thin wrists and the Sub may wear a bit big ... second the Sub would be quite an expensive watch to wear every day (although the value of the 114270 keeps going north beyond what I'd spend today) ... plus of course buying a new Sub isn't that easy; I'd like to try a new 41mm sub no date but given you can't even find one to try and don't know if it is a viable replacement for the 114270/58 pair ...

Every significant watch I have currently has a landmark meaning and a connection; I consider my watch count to be currently 2 ... maybe I could get to 1. Maybe the 58 is it and the Explorer could go but I know if I sold it I would never buy another Rolex as they are more than I'd really be happy to spend on a watch ... but the idea of combining them both into a new Sub does nag away at me a bit ... we will see ...

Anyway ... hopefully some of you found that of interest ...
    Very nice Zenith! Do you still own it ? Trying to source one

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
    Very nice Zenith! Do you still own it ? Trying to source one
    Yes I still have the Zenith, beware the one with the date at 3pm. It doesn’t have a zenith movement.

I have to confess the count has gone up to 3 now, maybe even 4.