timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An enjoyable photographic challenge which paid off …

An enjoyable photographic challenge which paid off …

Advised yesterday that my Female Emperor Dragonfly image has been chosen for the August "Photomacrography Forum’s Administrators’ Appreciation Award” … the forum is U.S. based.

http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...ic.php?t=37714

Image taken with an adapted 50 years young Novoflex 600mm lens - which is not a macro lens.

The link shows the methodology and includes a mention of the Langdyke Countryside Trust managed, Swaddywell Pit nature reserve near Peterborough where the photo was taken … a little bit of England for our friends across the pond.

Administrator / forum owner Rik Littlefield is a leading photomacrography / photomicrography practitioner who invented / developed ZERENE STACKER photo stacking software.

The forum’s ‘in studio’ shots are well worth a look if interested in insect close-ups at greater than life-size e.g. http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...ic.php?t=37707

Pond insects are an ongoing project and I’m having fun finding ways of photographing them on their surface algae and pond plant habitats using long focus lenses plus extenders and extension tubes.

The plants and algae are at least 2m from the pond edge so it’s an interesting photographic challenge trying to ‘fill the frame’ with the creatures. Too dangerous to wade out to the centre of the pond … or use e.g. a Hague photo crane.

Regards

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd August 2018 at 15:09.
    "… but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Stunning picture. Just superb

That is superb, well done!

Capturing dragonflies at rest is challenging enough, so getting the perfect in-flight shot is truly remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Excellent shot, well done!

Well done on the accolade, always enjoyed your photo's Dunk

Craftsman
    Congratulations- stunning image.

Thank you for the compliments. One reason for posting the image is to show that we do not necessarily need to buy macro lenses to produce macro images … it's a straightforward procedure to add e.g. extension tubes, bellows or a supplementary close-up lens to just about any prime or zoom lens and thus enable close-focus. The 600mm manual focus lens with bellows and 2x extender used for the 'at a distance' c/u dragonfly image are the most unlikely macro tools … but they worked. The ancient Novoflex Noflexar 600mm 2 element achromat, together with a its sibling slightly longer focal length 64cm lens, cost just £69 'the pair' from Ffordes s/h stock a few years ago. Very unfashionable lenses nowadays as manufacturers and reviewers brainwash us into thinking that we '… must buy the latest AF macro lens …' , but AF is not a priority for close-up photography.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd August 2018 at 20:10.
    "… but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

I'll add that it was interesting to look at your set up and settings via your link, quite a lengthy rig there!

Nice work! The picture is pretty good too ;0), I think the dragonfly was thinking “If I just hover here that huge black thing won’t eat me!”. I also liked the detail of the shredded wings in your thread

Master
    Well done. That is a superb image (as yours usually are!).

Thank you again for the encouraging comments; I enjoy adapting vintage lenses to modern cameras and have another similar project in progress.

dunk

Dunk educated me into legacy lens and I must admit that although I am always tempted to buy the latest modern lens, I also always end up going back to the legacy lens I own.

BTW that dragonfly picture is astonishing!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app