closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you pay it ?

Master

Would you pay it ?

FedEx delivered my Spinnaker Bradner from HK on Monday.
    I got it with the 25% discount offer so after translating into GBP
    cost to me was £168.54
    Today I get a text from FedEx looking for me to pay £45.35 but they've
    already delivered !
    Not sure what to do ?

maseman

Sorry I don’t know but I’m interested in the thoughts of others.

About 27% so looks like the VAT plus an administration fee (and VAT on import is payable on the purchase price + the p[ostage). That would seem normal to me, and likely to cause the persuance of a claim against you if you refuse to pay, so may as well stump up

Dave

Are you asking whether you should pay FedEx for the service they've provided you? Or are you querying the amount?

I don't understand the quandary here.

Been here before - they will chase you a couple of times and then hand it over to a debt recovery company who will ramp up the pressure and fees.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

They deliver before you pay the VAT etc. so you get your item sooner. It's not an error on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Been here before - they will chase you a couple of times and then hand it over to a debt recovery company who will ramp up the pressure and fees.
    That’s the answer I was after Chris, thanks. Having never been in the situation I genuinely wondered.

Yes, best to clear it here. They won't let it drop and it'll only result in a headache for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    They deliver before you pay the VAT etc. so you get your item sooner. It's not an error on their part.
    Not experienced this before. Previously I've had communication saying to pay before it is released for delivery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That’s the answer I was after Chris, thanks. Having never been in the situation I genuinely wondered.

Yep, prob what I was expecting too. I'll get it paid tomorrow. Hope the one sold on SC had already had his bill !!!

Master
    I think “pay what you owe” is the advice here.

It’s the tax element like someone said, so you’ll have to pay it. I had a similar issue like this before and challenged it successfully - that was for some of my own stuff I’d left in a hotel and had shipped back to me though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Are you asking whether you should pay FedEx for the service they've provided you? Or are you querying the amount?

I don't understand the quandary here.

It's import duty (plus a FedEx fee, the shipper will have already paid FedEx for shipping) but previously I've always been asked to pay before the item is delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Not experienced this before. Previously I've had communication saying to pay before it is released for delivery.
    Depends on a few things, such as value and prior payments to them etc.

Lower value tends to come through with payment of the fees etc. afterwards. Higher value can be held back until payment has been received.

It's import duty (plus a FedEx fee, the shipper will have already paid FedEx for shipping) but previously I've always been asked to pay before the item is delivered.
    I had this and queried it with FedEx. Same as with Royal Mail, it's a processing fee for paying UK Customs. I discovered some stuff online that showed how to send a specifically worded letter to FedEx, disputing the extra charge and refusing to pay, but life's too short for that shite and I can really do without some debt recovery agency on my case.

It's a tenner, just pay it, lesson learned. At least FedEx push the watch through the system quicker than Royal Mail.

I had an invoice from FedEx a month after delivery, i thought i had got away with it - but no..

Some couriers demand payment in advance of delivery, these invoice you later.

You have no choice - pay it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes obviously.

Grand Master
    You OWE the money, no question about that, so pay it!

You bought an item that’s subject to import tax plus the admin fee, Fedex have delivered without getting the money off you first, and now you’re questioning whether it would be a smart move to try getting away with it?............please justify!

Paul

Journeyman
    It's always a crap feeling getting hit with tax and most companies "admin" charges are ridiculous, but unfortunately I think you'll find everyone agrees that you just have to pay it and move on

FedEx delivered my Spinnaker Bradner from HK on Monday.
    I got it with the 25% discount offer so after translating into GBP
    cost to me was £168.54
    Today I get a text from FedEx looking for me to pay £45.35 but they've
    already delivered !
    Not sure what to do ?

maseman
    I bought a couple of things from Scotty Cameron in America (golf stuff). They used fedex and I got hit with a bill. Three letters later chasing me for payment they were going to pass it on to debt recovery so I paid it. I was always going to, I just left it to get to just before that stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Yeah, you legally have to pay VAT on import goods. If you choose private express carriers like Fedex or UPS, you'll have to pay VAT 100% of the time. But if you choose national postal operators, there's a high chance of avoiding paying VAT (you have to pay it though, but no one will ask you to do so).

Craftsman
    Send this template, obviously reword it for yourself and let us know how you get on. It worked for me.

Dear FedEx,

This is in reference to invoice #xxxxxxxx.

After having bought 2 items of clothing from USA, I understood there would be the possibility of VAT due on receiving them.

I was however surprised to see an additional section for a clearance administration charge of £12.

Since USA is outside of the EU, I of course will pay the VAT due.

However, I refuse to pay the clearance admin charge of £12, since at no point was I made aware of, nor did I agree to, any terms and conditions which clearly stated that I would be liable for any such charges.

At no point in the transaction and subsequent delivery was any contract for a clearance administration charge made between FedEx and myself.

I paid the supplier for delivery, and would expect that any international clearance fees be factored into the initial cost of such a shipment.

If you want to pursue further charges for delivery or administration or the terms upon which goods are shipped, I suggest that you take it up with the company who shipped the goods initially.

Therefore, I request that you update this invoice to reflect no admin fee, and once that has been done I’ll make immediate payment.

Please let me know when this has been done.

Kind Regards,

Craftsman
    All good advice - but pay it before they hand it over to a dept recovery agency

Craftsman
    As stated by LeBowl, if you are charged for 'Advancement Fee', you may be able to have it cancelled.

See this link: http://blog.adamowen.co.uk/dont-pay-...ancement-fees/

I did the same in April via email and Fedex cancelled 'Advancement fee' the next day so I just paid the VAT.

Hope it helps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    You OWE the money, no question about that, so pay it!

You bought an item that’s subject to import tax plus the admin fee, Fedex have delivered without getting the money off you first, and now you’re questioning whether it would be a smart move to try getting away with it?............please justify!

Paul

All paid

Good to hear you've paid and all sorted.

To those suggesting you challenge the charge, I get you never agreed to it but consider this:

1. There is a cost to doing business and processing customs costs are not free. All international freight firms charge this fee, to my knowledge - or will need to add it in to the sellers costs of postage internationally which in turn is passed to you. Therefore most sellers will advise you of not just customs costs but also associated fees.
    2. This is normally in their big or small print.
    3. I reckon the additinal 10/12 quid still makes it a lot cheaper than buying domestically
    4. Don't like it - don't buy internationally.

Blog Entries
    At least your watch was delivered if it had been shipped and processed by Parcel Force you would have got a similar invoice including admin charge which you would have had to pay before either collecting or setting up a delivery.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Good to hear you've paid and all sorted.

To those suggesting you challenge the charge, I get you never agreed to it but consider this:

1. There is a cost to doing business and processing customs costs are not free. All international freight firms charge this fee, to my knowledge - or will need to add it in to the sellers costs of postage internationally which in turn is passed to you. Therefore most sellers will advise you of not just customs costs but also associated fees.
    2. This is normally in their big or small print.
    3. I reckon the additinal 10/12 quid still makes it a lot cheaper than buying domestically
    4. Don't like it - don't buy internationally.
    Challenge the charge using the template - I got mine reduced as a result.
    As for the above: that might all be well and good, but the delivery company's contract is with the seller, not with me. I am perfectly happy to wait until the item has been inspected by customs, without needing the expedited service forced upon me by the courier. The fact that you succeed when challenging the practice tells you all you need to know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    As for the above: that might all be well and good, but the delivery company's contract is with the seller, not with me. I am perfectly happy to wait until the item has been inspected by customs, without needing the expedited service forced upon me by the courier. The fact that you succeed when challenging the practice tells you all you need to know.
    x2

In my case the goods were not at a discount and they were not available domestically. Last resort is I purchase from a non eu country as I am well aware of the tax/duty costs.

Would you pay it ?

Would make sense if the couriers refused to deliver in future to any skinflint who challenged the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    All well and good - you do not have this option with Fedex, trust me.

They bill you - avoid paying and complain.

They remind you - avoid paying and complain.

They notice you - avoid paying and complain.

They inform you it is being passed to a debt recovery agent and no longer their issue.

All of the above takes less than a couple of weeks.

Challenge away by all means but Fedax are pretty ruthless in my experience.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Unless you are Gary Barlow or Jimmy Carr etc.. you will have to pay your taxes here I am afraid mate.

Craftsman
    As I said, I challenged the Fed-ex admin fee in April and it was cancelled without any question being asked. Then of course I paid my tax. Nobody is talking about getting away with the tax. We are talking about admin charges. If they had the right to take admin charges, I don't think they would cancel it with one email.
    This was their response:
    "Having reviewed the above mentioned invoice, we can now confirm that a partial credit of 12.00 GBP* has been raised, leaving an amount still due on the invoice of X GBP"
    As you can see it has all been sorted in a very civilized way and there is no need for being devil's advocate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    What is the law regarding personal possession here? Like the other gentleman who said it was his stuff left in a hotel? If I ship my own watch to my own address from another country i don’t pay duty??? How does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    What is the law regarding personal possession here? Like the other gentleman who said it was his stuff left in a hotel? If I ship my own watch to my own address from another country i don’t pay duty??? How does this work?

You'll have to provide proof of prior payment of VAT on those very items.