closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any hot spots in UK for vintage watch shops?

Any hot spots in UK for vintage watch shops?

I'm thinking about planning a week away in the UK in September and wanted to 'accidentally' book somewhere near a few vintage watch shops or charity shops that have a good selection. Any ideas anybody (anywhere other than London please!).

Cheers,

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    I'm thinking about planning a week away in the UK in September and wanted to 'accidentally' book somewhere near a few vintage watch shops or charity shops that have a good selection. Any ideas anybody (anywhere other than London please!).

Cheers,

Steve
    So, you want to take a week's holiday near a charity shop with a few vintage watches....? Surely that'd be better for a day-trip, at best?

Life's far too short to spend a week somewhere on the off-chance there's a bargain going in a nearby shop.
    Last edited by ddm27; 1st August 2018 at 15:18.

We're going away for a week regardless. If it's near to some vintage watch shops, all the better for me.

Thanks for your input though.

Steve

Mrs: Did you managed to get somewhere booked for our holiday?

Mr: Yes, we're going to Rhyl

Mrs: WTF! Why?

Mr: Heard there's some good charity shops.

Mrs: Go on your own, I'm off to Bali.

We've already done our long hauls and wanted a week away somewhere nice in the UK. As I said, if it's near some nice vintage watch shops all the better for me.

Simple request I thought... got to love this place some times

Master
    Southport and Liverpool surely?

Master
    Mike Wood, The Old Watch Shop, Southport.

We've already done our long hauls and wanted a week away somewhere nice in the UK. As I said, if it's near some nice vintage watch shops all the better for me.

Simple request I thought... got to love this place some times
    It's a very simple request but a very odd one given that good vintage watch shops are few and far between, and based in London you've got the pick of the bunch. As mentioned Southport, Liverpool and even Hull have great second hand watch shops but they'd all be near the bottom of my list of places to enjoy a week long holiday within the UK.

Craftsman
    Brighton (always some knocking about in The Lanes)?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

eBay already have the disappointing vintage experience covered. No need to stay in Southport to degrade yourself on top.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MAW View Post

...plus you get the pleasure of being able to witness all manner of weirdness & naughtiness, if you go out at the weekend and the weather's fine.

Harrogate is a great place for a few days away, nice town, some good restaurants and gateway to the Yorkshire Dales, and yes some decent vintage watch shops.

Master
    Midhurst West Sussex. Passed through last week there was quite a few!

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Hadn't thought about Harrogate or the surrounding area and Midhurst is a new one on me

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It's a very simple request but a very odd one given that good vintage watch shops are few and far between, and based in London you've got the pick of the bunch. As mentioned Southport, Liverpool and even Hull have great second hand watch shops but they'd all be near the bottom of my list of places to enjoy a week long holiday within the UK.
    How odd of me to ask for watch shop recommendations outside of London on a watch forum! Very sorry.

Steve

Craftsman
    Mrs: Did you managed to get somewhere booked for our holiday?

Mr: Yes, we're going to Rhyl

Mrs: WTF! Why?

Mr: Heard there's some good charity shops.

Mrs: Go on your own, I'm off to Bali.
    Depending on the circumstances this might be the best outcome for everyone involved anyways!

Master
    It depends what you're hoping for. If it's a bargain good luck!!! There aren't any out there. All charity shops know Rolex, Omega etc so even if it's tatty they'll get it valued or do their own searches.

If your after a less common brand you need to know your stuff, as, has been said before, vintage is a minefield.

If someone does know of a gem of place that still sell mil-subs for next to nothing it's unlikely their going to share. Although, please do!

If your happy to pay market prices the internet is your friend, you can search the world and the choose a holiday based on what you find.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Hadn't thought about Harrogate or the surrounding area and Midhurst is a new one on me
    How odd of me to ask for watch shop recommendations outside of London on a watch forum! Very sorry.

Steve
    Harrogate would make a lovely base to for a weekend. There are a couple of nice vintage places (Retro Vintage Watchrs isn’t worth bothering with as not much on show, but Major Tom’s, the bar next door is great). The other benefit is that it’s only a short train ride to York and Leeds too, which also have watch shops :D

(Full disclosure, I recently moved to Harrogate so might be a little biased)

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Midhurst West Sussex. Passed through last week there was quite a few!
    There are a couple, but only really one worth visiting, JE Allnut, website is http://www.littlecogs.com

If you do go near Midhurst, you can also hit Chichester, which has a number of good independent shops, as well as the usual suspects.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Harrogate is a great place for a few days away, nice town, some good restaurants and gateway to the Yorkshire Dales, and yes some decent vintage watch shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Harrogate would make a lovely base to for a weekend. There are a couple of nice vintage places (Retro Vintage Watchrs isn’t worth bothering with as not much on show, but Major Tom’s, the bar next door is great). The other benefit is that it’s only a short train ride to York and Leeds too, which also have watch shops :D

(Full disclosure, I recently moved to Harrogate so might be a little biased)
    Here you go. For a relatively small town Harrogate does have a fair number of watch shops. Ogden’s are worth a look but are maybe a little pricey.

The Holiday Inn next to the exhibition centre is very good and not crazy pricing if there is nothing going on exhibition wise.

Plenty of other things to do when you’re fed up of traipsing around town

Formby.

Master
    Beautiful little jeweller in Winchester, seen some lovely pieces in there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From memory of my last visit, Stratford On Avon had some interesting watches in windows, also a good Rolex/Patek/Panerai et al dealer whose name escapes me. Lots of other good stuff there too.

If you fancy a break in the Westcountry then there's quite a nice Jewellers in Exeter called Mortimers Jewellers. Like I suspect most though the prices tend to be on the high side, I've only looked in there a few times but they had a nice selection. Not somewhere I'd want to stay as such, but loads of beautiful places around where you could plan a visit into Exeter while down that way.

Master
    Yes, but surely it shouldn't even factor in to your decision on where to go?

Agreed, it's very strange. Perhaps he has some schoolboy fantasy of wandering into a vintage watch "hot spot" in the deepest darkest corner of Wales and finding some crusty old charity shop owner with a NOS Patek Philippe 3700/1 up for £4,000, that no-one has ever seen before.

Bizarre.

I'm sure within five minutes of entering the Harrogate's hallowed British Heart Foundation shop and inspecting a broken £10 Oris from the 70s, a £25 Fossil (with box!) and a mid-60s Omega Constellation at £800 his illusion will be shattered and he'll be back on eBay like the rest of us.

Yes, very strange asking for vintage watch shop recommendations on a watch forum

I have no illusions about what I'm likely to find. I simply like perusing around old watch shops and perhaps picking up something I like the look of rather than a bargain.

It's amazing what you've managed to extrapolate from a simple request whilst adding sod all to the topic at hand. You do know that if you don't have relevant information to the topic at hand, you don't have to click the big shiny reply button don't you?

Also, how is this any different to your previous request on here? - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...wsing-shopping

EDIT: thanks to those who contributed some tips I've had a nice tip-off from someone by PM so my destination is set!
    Last edited by SteveHarris; 2nd August 2018 at 14:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Formby.
    Really??

I grew up in Formby. Even if Haywood had opened a Miltons discount branch I'd think twice about going back there voluntarily..

Craftsman
    Yes, very strange asking for vintage watch shop recommendations on a watch forum

I have no illusions about what I'm likely to find. I simply like perusing around old watch shops and perhaps picking up something I like the look of rather than a bargain.

It's amazing what you've managed to extrapolate from a simple request whilst adding sod all to the topic at hand. You do know that if you don't have relevant information to the topic at hand, you don't have to click the big shiny reply button don't you?

Also, how is this any different to your previous request on here? - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...wsing-shopping

EDIT: thanks to those who contributed some tips I've had a nice tip-off from someone by PM so my destination is set!
    I thought it was a reasonable request that didn’t require judgment nor dismissive comments; happy you’re now set. Let us know how it went when you get back!

Journeyman
    We went to Harrogate a few years age and loved the place, even the Wetherspoons was a awesome building!!

I got where the op was coming from, if you are having some time away might as well make the most of it 😀

Scottie

Come on! What did you expect? This is TZUK after all...

Master
    Another vote for Harrogate, had an awesome Chinese in the former Turkish Baths too !

I’ll go the whole hog and recommend The Grafton Boutique to stay in Harrogate. Billed as a B&B but
    more of a boutique hotel with an outstanding breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by MAW View Post

Second the Lanes Brighton or Ludlow in Shropshire