closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cordless screwdriver - any recommendations?

Cordless screwdriver - any recommendations?

I need a cordless screwdriver for round the house, nothing too powerful needed I have other tools for that. A quick charge time would be handy and nothing too big. Anyone bought anything recently for under £30?
    There's a Screwfix or Wickes down the road so something from there would be handy. Thanks!
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 1st August 2018 at 07:58.

Master
    I Have a bosch PSR (somewhere) £40 from B&Q
    Bits are contained in a rotating drum and slide into place.
    I tend to use my makita drill on screwdriver setting for most screws though -

Craftsman
    I purchased one from argos for about a tenner, I wasn't expecting much but it was fine.

I've got a couple of drills, 14v and 18v, but I've been looking for something smaller for inside small spaces. This Draper is a possible, handy as it can be used straight or in pistol grip.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80...SABEgJ53fD_BwE
    F.T.F.A.

I bought a Ryobi one from B&Q in a sale for about £20 a while back, nice solid box and literally dozens of screwdriver bits. I don’t know why because my Stanley ratchet screwdriver seems like it’s never more than 10ft away from me but I’ve been using it a lot lately putting together fitted bedroom furniture in our new extension, the battery lasts all day and I’m glad I bought it.

Master
    I bought a Black and Decker one about 6 years ago for very little money back then and it's still going strong, probably the best little hand held tool I have ever had.

^
    Probably the right way to go. Unless you're a hobbyist DIYer then the battery will die long before the drill does through lack of use, and they're expensive. An 18v drill will suffice for almost all home uses.

BOSCH ixo. £28 on amazon and a lovely design of a thing. Tiny, torquey and comes in a nice case.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link

Bosch IXO Cordless Screwdriver with Integrated 3.6 V Lithium-Ion Battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XI610..._ivyyBb5C68584

Last edited by JohnnyE; 1st August 2018 at 11:30.

Bosch here too, built to last, buy cheap buy twice.

Aldi stuff is really good, I've had all sorts from breakers, SDS drills, rip snorter to cordless drills.. they all have a 3 year guarantee as well. Well worth the money

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    my Stanley ratchet screwdriver
    Wow, thought for a second I'd stepped back to the late 70s there....

The Stanley Yankee is the way to go, especially on slot head screws.

I've got a Bosch for messing about, ikea and flat pack etc, anything with some pace - DeWalt its the only way to go

Craftsman
    Makita. Anything else is really a waste of money.

Borrow a cheap one and then borrow a Makita and you’ll see why they’re worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosch IXO compact , loads of torque and battery lasts forever

Craftsman
    Makita

HILTI. Perhaps too professional, but worth every penny. And built for life.

Craftsman
    Makita all the way for me. 18v batteries are expensive but can be used across a range of tools

Makita, Hilti, DeWalt are all pro tools, unless you're using them day in day out you'll never get your moneys worth from them.

Depending what you're doing of course, budget brands are more than adequate. Ryobi as mentioned earlier are really pretty good, Screwfix do Titan stuff which is fine for DIY budget.

If you've got deep pockets then by all means go for Festool, Makita or DeWalt (Hitachi circular saws are very good, Paslode for nail guns obviously), avoid Milwaukee. Otherwise I'd go budget.

I've just refurbished a house and used Aldi Workzone brand and it was plenty good enough. In fact the cordless drill batteries last forever on a charge and 2 years old is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The Stanley Yankee is the way to go, especially on slot head screws.
    Till they slip and you bust your knuckles.. they take some mastering.

Master
    Festool if you win the lotto, I’ve a Milwaukee one and it’s been faultless, and it gets used every other day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    BOSCH ixo. £28 on amazon and a lovely design of a thing. Tiny, torquey and comes in a nice case.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link

Bosch IXO Cordless Screwdriver with Integrated 3.6 V Lithium-Ion Battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XI610..._ivyyBb5C68584

This, I have two. Well made, plenty or torque and nice metal cases. Amazon have ‘lightning deals’ from time to time and you can pick these up for around £20.
    Last edited by KavKav; 1st August 2018 at 21:15.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions - the Bosch looks ideal and B&Q down the road is doing it for the same price as Amazon so result!

Master
    +1.
    Got one of these when I had to put up Ikea wardrobes.
    Torque just right.
    Bought from Amazon for around £20

Master
    I love my makita 18v drill. It's handled everything from putting together beds and flatpack to driving some monster coach screws into the fence in a storm to stop the panels blowing away. The only grumble I have with it is that the batteries are prone to becoming unusable if you don;t keep them topped up. There is a known issue where the internal protection chip can wrongly decide that the battery is faulty if it drops below a certain charge, if this happens the charger refuses to charge it and the battery becomes a brick - this happened to one of my batteries about a year after I bought the drill. I believe newer batteries (and 3rd party ones) no longer have this issue but it's galling that such a quality piece of kit has such an issue.

Craftsman
    Bosch or makita. You get what you pay for.

Craftsman
    Milwaukee all day long. Only exceptions would be hilti or festool. But they are a price point and them some above.

I've had an old Bosch one for approx 15years. I only use it from time to time but it's been faultless.
    I'd happily buy the current version if this one ever fails, particularly if this attachment is still available...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Wish I’d thought of that.

I have a Milwaukee M12 sub compact drill/driver, much smaller than a standard drill so works well as a screwdriver but still powerful enough for using as a drill. They also do a straight screwdriver.
    Probably a bit pricey unless you have or are going to get some other M12 tools, if you do any car work they also make my favourite tool a sub compact ratchet drive that uses the same batteries. All very guide quality.

Craftsman
    There is a Bosch on offer at Selco at the moment for £79.99 (not sure if that is inc vat) but it is a combi drill and comes with two batteries.
    I like Makita myself but that is a good offer.