closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 10 Years Ago Today

Journeyman

10 Years Ago Today

I've always been a watch guy. When I was a kid in the '80s, it was digital sports watches, and then Swatches. Didn't wear a watch in college, but then the bug hit me in a big way. Bought a quartz Citizen chronograph, followed by a quartz Titanium Swiss Army. One call night in the ICU as a resident, the battery in the Swiss Army died. I wore that watch for the better part of a decade, but that experience convinced me that I needed to own a mechanical.

I'd always been generally fascinated by the Rolex ads in the National Geographic magazines I read as a kid. At some point along the way, I decided I would buy a Rolex sports watch. There was this absolutely epic post on an old Land Rover forum (believe it was Expedition Exchange; sadly it doesn't appear the post is online any longer) in which the poster argued why the Rolex Submariner was absolutely the best, and only, watch anyone would ever need. That post really stuck with me. Truth be told, the ubiquitous Submariner didn't really interest me, but man, the Sea-Dweller sure did.

In the summer of 2007, I completed training, and got my first big boy job. I spent the better part of that year paying off debts from the previous decade of school and training. I stopped by the now-closed Carlyle Jewelers in Durham, NC a couple of times that year, checking out the Rolex inventory, but really didn't know if I could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a watch. I tried on a number of Rolex sport watches during these visits, but the 16600 was always the standout. At the end of that first year, I decided I would take the plunge. I walked into Carlyle on July 31, 2008, and bought the 16600. I even got 10% off without having to ask for it (times certainly have changed). I remember that they had the Deep Sea and the new ceramic GMT on hand as well; I almost bought the GMT as I thought it was beautiful, but the 16600 is the one I always wanted, and the one I put on my wrist.

So here we are 10 years later. The 16600 really led me down a fairly ridiculous path of watch obsession. I've had an incredible amount of fun in this hobby, and have met a lot of great people along the way. And I've spent a lot of money, too. I've had loads of watches since buying the 16600. Some of these were incredible, and many were objectively better watches in some ways. But the 16600 is still my favorite watch of them all, and my favorite watch period. It is beautiful, capable, versatile, bulletproof, and an absolute classic. It truly is the only watch I would ever need. It is an absolute joy to wear, and is the only forever keeper watch that will ever grace this watch nerd's collection. It probably could use a service, but I'd miss it while it was away, you know?

Good story, and not far off from my own adventures.
    I believe my 16600 turns 10 in 4 days:)
    Last edited by endo; 1st August 2018 at 13:45.

Journeyman
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing, I find it a pleasure to read stories like yours. You should bookmark this post so that you can link back to it in 2028 for the follow up post :)

Master
    Great story and photo. Your watch looks immaculate after 10years of use.
    Would like to read that Landie article if you ever managed to track it down again.

Craftsman
    Great story. Thanks for sharing. Sure is a stunner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Great post and thanks for sharing your love of watches. My SD is a keeper and I will love part with it - just over 10 years old now.

Great story and the watch looks great.

Prefer the look to a modern Rolex.

I was about to buy a SD when I needed to put a deposit on a house, so did that instead. No regrets but should have done both.

As per comment on TRF.

That was a lovely story and a great way to mark that special occasion/anniversary.

Same here ! My keeper after so many others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed great story and how times have changed in 10 years.

I must add the only watch I regret selling was my SD from 2004, I stupidly px it for a 16800.

You live and learn!

Master
    Is that a 116600 ( ceramic ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Is that a 116600 ( ceramic ) ?
    i doubt it if its from 2007!

A nice shiny bezel no need for ceramic insert.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    16600 is one of the classic watches of all time IMHO

Journeyman
    Thanks for sharing your story. It is an amazing watch, wear it in good health.

Craftsman
    Great story. My 16600 turned 11 years recently as well and is definitely a keeper.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

what a watch. Nice story too.

Nice story and timeless classic. Continue to wear it in good health sir.

Banned
    Great watch and a worthy lifetime watch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What a nice story to read; here’s to the next 10 years!

Apprentice
    Great watch and interesting story! Thanks for sharing

Nice story and beautiful photo. Looks in good nick after 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nice story. I admire people who are smart enough to buy a Rolex as soon as they start working full time. I wish I had been that smart too :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kosumi; 4th August 2018 at 08:56.

great story you've more sense than me when i started my first big boy job after uni when i was 22 i bought a d reg v 12 xjs regd d864bcw...the petrol costs commuting from burnley to leeds would have bought a rolex sub within 6 months.

I can totally relate - my first was also a 16600 bought new in March 2009 (no discount for me as already to be discontinued). I succumbed to a service earlier this year. Yours looks in great nick given its age. A great watch indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app