closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pitfalls of selling watch on ebay

Pitfalls of selling watch on ebay

Hi: as I've not enough posts to sell; I will be listing my watch (breightling colt chrono) on ebay or is there anywhere else any of you could recommend, was wondering if there any pitfalls selling on ebay; ie being scammed: if they pay via PayPal and I send the watch: could they just put a claim back in with paypal: send me a empty box back and once I've signed for the return I would be buggered ??
    Is it best just to advertise collection only with bank transfer only

Any help much appreciated

Master
    Personally I wouldn't buy or sell anything of real value on eBay. You only have 75 posts to go before you can sell on SC. Some people manage that in a couple of days.

^^^this. There are too many wrong'un on the bay. Been stung a couple times myself, luckily for nothing of too much value. GLWTS

Add a few pics to this thread and wait for the PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Add a few pics to this thread and wait for the PMs.
    Probably the worst advice in this situation....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't buy or sell anything of real value on eBay. You only have 75 posts to go before you can sell on SC. Some people manage that in a couple of days.
    I agree with this, get some more posts in, can't accuse you of being a speed poster you have been a member for over seven years!

eBay is fine to use, if you define who can buy. Selling to someone with no feedback, or dubious history is going to be problematic - selling to regular eBay users is simple and usually relatively hassle free.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    eBay is fine to use, if you define who can buy. Selling to someone with no feedback, or dubious history is going to be problematic - selling to regular eBay users is simple and usually relatively hassle free.
    Agreed, I’ve bought and sold high value on eBay with no problems - just set some parameters, like no-one with poor feedback, less than 50 transactions, no shipping outside uk, for example.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes don't post as much as I should

Think the best is to get my post count up

Just use eBay. As long as you clearly and accurately describe the condition of the watch there is nothing to worry about.

I sold 2 watches on eBay a few weeks ago. One for £500 and one for £2,000. Absolutely no problem with either sale.

Master
    I’ve sold 2 on eBay ;

Navitimer - no problems at all, person paid immediately.

IWC portifino - listed it probably 6 times abs each time someone would win then not pay, zero contact. Eventually went but that deal put me off doing by it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Probably the worst advice in this situation....
    It was a joke

Master
    What about Chrono24. I wouldn't like to sell anything expensive on ebay, and that's just because of the fees!

Quote Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
    Hi: as I've not enough posts to sell; I will be listing my watch (breightling colt chrono) on ebay or is there anywhere else any of you could recommend, was wondering if there any pitfalls selling on ebay; ie being scammed: if they pay via PayPal and I send the watch: could they just put a claim back in with paypal: send me a empty box back and once I've signed for the return I would be buggered ??
    Is it best just to advertise collection only with bank transfer only

Any help much appreciated
    Didn't know you were on here Nick ... as I said, I would avoid ebay, just not worth the risk or the aggro imo

D

Journeyman
    I've got the same dilemma, just purchased a new watch and got a couple I would like to sell, i think eBay can work well but too many scammers! Maybe try pickup and cash only?

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    Didn't know you were on here Nick ... as I said, I would avoid ebay, just not worth the risk or the aggro imo

D
    Yes d: been on here 7 years mate

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    What about Chrono24. I wouldn't like to sell anything expensive on ebay, and that's just because of the fees!
    Is that a good site?? Unsure about fees etc on there
    Would there be any: would you recommend that site

e-bay seem to have a promo every weekend, either a £1 or £3 final fee, so wait for the next offer. They appear in your messages in 'my e-bay'.

Bought and sold many watches on e-bay without any real problems. Even built up some dealing relationships doing several deals with the same person. When it works well, it's fine.

4% PayPal fees is a pain, but I have invited people who live fairly close to come and collect and inspect the Watch before paying by cash. They get a warm feeling and after they have paid for the watch they are unable use the 180 day claim back - catchy monkey

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
    Is that a good site?? Unsure about fees etc on there
    Would there be any: would you recommend that site
    Bought and sold on there. To sell it's about £50 iirc and that is also for the use of the escrow service. Never had any issues.

Journeyman
    I’ve sold numerous watches on EBay to many different countries and never had any problems. Just make sure your description is accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many thanks for your advice

Will have a look at chrono 24

Journeyman
    Never sold a watch on ebay but bought a couple at around £1k - £1.5K and had no problems. I did research the buyer to see what he had sold previously and asked plenty of questions on each piece. I think if you are selling it would be prudent to state in your advert who you are willing to sell to (i.e UK only, minimum feedback etc).

At Christmas I sold an old PS3 with a load of games on ebay, that had sat gathering dust in a cupboard. I did say UK only and the winner ended up being some bloke in Nigeria asking me to send to a Shipping / Forwarding company based near Heathrow !!! I thought 'here we go' and considered pulling out of the sale. However, it was only £80 and my understanding was that I was only obliged to successfully ship to the shipping company. After a couple of weeks got a message from the chap saying it had arrived and he was delighted with the items.

Journeyman
    I have sold several watches on Ebay without incident. If you do sell on Ebay just be prepared for their hefty fees.

Master
    I’ve sold 8-10 watches on eBay in the last 12
    months or so. Only one had a small hiccup when the buyer set auto bid, went out, won the auction in absentia and then decided he’d paid too much when he got home! eBay refunded the fees so no harm done.
    As other people have said, be absolutely honest and accurate when describing the item and post lots of pictures.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just sold my Deepsea on eBay last week with no complications at all and done when the final fees was only £3, it was 10x easier the putting it on SC

Craftsman
    Looking to buy a Rolex from eBay. Any tips - the watch has box, papers and original receipt and I’d be getting it in the post.

Any other checks needed before I hand over my (PayPal) cash?

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Looking to buy a Rolex from eBay. Any tips - the watch has box, papers and original receipt and I’d be getting it in the post.

Any other checks needed before I hand over my (PayPal) cash?

Cheers
    Rory
    Start a new thread and post a link to the watch, there's some very experienced people on here regarding Rolex who will give great advice. Not sure I personally wouldn't buy a Rolex off eBay as I couldn't spot a fake from a genuine even if I had it in my hands!

Journeyman
    I wouldn't buy anything high value on Ebay, nor would I sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBLK View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything high value on Ebay, nor would I sell.
    And yet people do, every day, without a hitch or a problem.

Craftsman
    I sold my Black Bay on eBay and the buyer turned out to be a conman trying to claim it was a fake and get a refund.

I would only ask for a deposit now and collection in person.

Journeyman
    I’ve been buying and selling all sorts on eBay for 15 years.

I’ve definitely noticed an increase in the number of buyers trying to scam you; anecdotally about 5%

Has definitely got worse over the last few years and the resolution process for disputes is massively skewed in favour of buyers with little recourse for sellers.

Personally I’ve never had problems with higher value items though, it’s just the stuff that goes for pennies that seems to attract chancers