closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living with a Speedmaster Professional

I didn't bond with mine

It felt flimsy on my wrist and had little presence when I did a wrist check. Maybe I should have thrown it on a NATO and scuffed it up a bit, but I didn't trust it's robustness.

I still admire them but not for me

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm loving it.

Just put mine on an Omega black leather and clasp, and it looks almost are good as on bracelet. So I'll be wearing it for the day :)

very versatile watch too when it comes to strap choices.
    It's just a matter of time...

I never liked my 3570 on a bracelet, think the asymmetric case suits a leather strap or a nato better, whereas the straight lug looks equally good on both. Here's my old one on a rally strap with deployment clasp.

I've had mine for 9 years, just the classic 3570.50.00. I've found it to be a reliable, tough and accurate piece, and the glass has only needed a touch up with polywatch once or twice in that time. In fairness, I have this in rotation with a couple of other pieces, so it's not taken the full brunt of daily wear in that time.

I, for one, like the lightness of the watch - it's a piece you can put on and almost forget about. Legibility is superb, and the luminescence is perfectly adequate. The clasp is a bit of a scratch magnet, and the older pin bracelet that I have isn't perfect - there's a little bit of play beginning to appear in it, and there is a small cosmetic issue with one of the end links.

It's probably the one watch I would never sell - there is a sentimental aspect, but its more to do with the fact it's just a truly excellent design. The backstory adds another element of fascination, and overall I've found it an immensely enjoyable watch to wear and own

Chris

Speedmasters look fantastic in photos and cool on others' wrists but I find whenever I have tried o modern one on it appeared flat and plain. My dad has an Ed White the watch that first got me into watches and that is wonderful and characterful on my wrist. That's why I've never got one, but still feel like I'm missing out! Maybe I should try the FOIS, are they that more expensive than the standard one?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Your not by any chance Patrick Duffy?
    No, but I have been known to dress up as a modern day Arthur Curry.

I don't wear any of my watches on a daily basis, but the Speedmaster certainly gets its share of wrist time.

Cons : The winder is a fiddle to wind - Some days it's almost impossible and other days it's as smooth as butter and it's always been that way, before and after servicing. I tried one in a shop before buying and it was the same. There's no date. The hesalite crystal does mark easily compared to a strong one. The never ending parade of Special Editions is almost as tiresome as CW sales or bizarre combinations of colours on Rolex Subs for the fanbois to buy yet another technically identical watch to have!

Pros : Contrary to some others, I think it's' a great looking watch and really catches the eye. It's one of those watches I enjoy looking at on my wrist and find myself looking at more than usual. It's pretty cheap for such an iconic watch. If you're not too worried about a Pre-Moon or Ed White speciality, you can pick one up for a couple of grand used and it'll look pretty much like every other one! I think it's' a lovely quality piece, too. My '97 watch looks beautifully finished after a bit of a refresh at STS. It's not delicate in a 'dress watch' sense, but equally doesn't scream "I'm a tool" like many modern watches do, it's an elegant design to my eye, but a masculine and practical one at the same time. Someone once described Heuers as 'effortlessly masculine' and I think the Speedmaster is one of the rare watches that matches that description.

I'll ignore the moon connection, because some love it and some hate it. I bought mine because of the space connection (having become smitten with my Cosmonaute, another watch with a true space connection), but that's not why I like it so much. I have a Bulova Moonwatch and I'm never going to love it, worthy though it is.

If your life is too busy that 10 seconds a day to wind your watch is too much, then you probably need to manage your time better!

Mine arrived and lives on a leather strap and I think it suits that look well, personally, although it also suits its bracelet well, something you can't say of some watches.

M

Master
    I don't know what people are talking about regarding winding the crown.

Ive had 2 modern speedmasters and the crown is like butter, I just use my index finder underneath and swipe ! do the daily wind in about 5 seconds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I don't know what people are talking about regarding winding the crown.

Ive had 2 modern speedmasters and the crown is like butter, I just use my index finder underneath and swipe ! do the daily wind in about 5 seconds.
    I kind of do know what they mean about winding, this may seem strange but I find it depends what my fingers are like at the time I wind it, if they are dry I find the crown harder to grip, if my fingers are... let me find the right words, oily or more clammy then I find it easier.

Does this make sense to anyone or am a being weird lol?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I definitely prefer it on a strap (another vote for Hirsch leather with white stitching).

The water resistance does bother me, but maybe I just need to get over it.

Craftsman
    I don't wear a watch every day but when I worked in an office 4 days out of 5 for 20 years I wore my Speedmaster Professional. One drop while winding required a new "glass" (but no other mechanism damage) and it's had a service every 6/7 years since I got it new in 1990. It's my "keep it if everything was sold" watch. I have two other friends who only own a Speedmaster Professional and wear it every day. No issues at all with it as a daily wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I kind of do know what they mean about winding, this may seem strange but I find it depends what my fingers are like at the time I wind it, if they are dry I find the crown harder to grip, if my fingers are... let me find the right words, oily or more clammy then I find it easier.

Does this make sense to anyone or am a being weird lol?
    Not weird, sounds exactly like my experience!

I forgot the WR issue - That can be a con for the Speedmaster as an only watch, although I have divers for swimming in and anything else gets taken off to wash the car or do the washing up in!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 30th July 2018 at 14:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not weird, sounds exactly like my experience!

I forgot the WR issue - That can be a con for the Speedmaster as an only watch, although I have divers for swimming in and anything else gets taken off to wash the car or do the washing up in!

M
    Glad it's not just me then!

I love the look of them and the 'space' connection etc. I bought one as my first truly decent watch and then hardly ever wore it. Just couldn't bond with it at all and the winder was awful: small, tight and hard on my delicate little fingers :) I also felt that it was too fragile for me and I knocked the bezel off once when the leather seat in my car went back upright (after letting the mutts into the back seat) absolutely no other damage but the bezel flew... Omega repaired it under warranty with no bother but...

Craftsman
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on a moon watch myself , well I hope , its a big birthday next month and I've been dropping hints left and right including taking the wife into a AD and saying "THAT ONE" whilst pointing at it :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on a moon watch myself , well I hope , its a big birthday next month and I've been dropping hints left and right including taking the wife into a AD and saying "THAT ONE" whilst pointing at it :)
    You don't get more subtle than that lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I hope you get it!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Given that it passed the rigorous tests to be flight certified by NASA, I'd expect it to stand up to most things daily life on earth could throw at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    One drop while winding required a new ”glass"
    Now, in space, you’d have caught it before it hit the deck!

I have a Speedmaster ‘57 Co-axial but I don’t think I’d have a pro as a daily wearer because I cba with winding it every day, lack of date and plexi glass. Those 'cons' on a speedy pro though, would be positive 'pro's' on a dress watch for me - minus the chrono bits of course!
    Last edited by Motman; 30th July 2018 at 17:58.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

Yes, you need to get over it! 50Metres WR is a bloody lot, OK it's not 300 but provided the watch doesn`t leak it's enough.

I`ve just serviced a 3510:50 Speedy Reduced with 50M WR, the watch is around 15-20 years old. Whilst the movement was out I cleaned out the pushers and checked the seals. On reassembling the case I pressure tested it to 6 bar and it was fine. That's without replacing anything.

In everyday wear you will NOT have a problem with the watch leaking unless the seals are damaged or the crown's left out. Personally I never swim in a decent watch for fear of getting it battered, I don`t shower in watches (can`t see the point), so I don`t get water in my watches even if the WR is only around 3 bar.

Criticizing a watch for only having 50M WR is illogical. The only reason to do so is the fact that watches exist with far greater WR and folks get hooked up on the numbers.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 30th July 2018 at 22:35.

Craftsman
    I probably wear my Speedy about once or twice a week in rotation with my other watches. Winding it in the morning takes no time at all and almost becomes a ritual of appreciation for it, but in reality it is no difference from winding and setting the time for any other watch that I may choose to wear on any given day. As for water resistance, I don't take mine off to wash the dishes, not that it gets dunked in, but I certainly don't worry about it getting a bit wet.

I can't decide between the SMP or BB58 for next purchase, absolutely love the look of the SMP in pictures and on other peoples wrist, plus a soft spot for plexi/ hesalite, no date and manual wind, even the 50m WR doesn't bother, I'm sure it will handle daddy dare care in the pool or a quick dip on holiday swimming. Biggest gripe would be the chrono function as I'm not sure I would use it much, dive bezel easier and quicker for me to time.

Think both will end up in my collection just not sure what order.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    I never liked my 3570 on a bracelet, think the asymmetric case suits a leather strap or a nato better, whereas the straight lug looks equally good on both. Here's my old one on a rally strap with deployment clasp.

That looks good! What strap is that?

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    I can't decide between the SMP or BB58 for next purchase, absolutely love the look of the SMP in pictures and on other peoples wrist, plus a soft spot for plexi/ hesalite, no date and manual wind, even the 50m WR doesn't bother, I'm sure it will handle daddy dare care in the pool or a quick dip on holiday swimming. Biggest gripe would be the chrono function as I'm not sure I would use it much, dive bezel easier and quicker for me to time.

Think both will end up in my collection just not sure what order.
    SMP isn't a Speedy - that's the Seamaster Professional that has that initialism (just in case you put a WTB out for the SMP accidentally!)

I don’t get the issue re hand-winding. Mine winds easily, and it’s no hassle to wind 20 times daily either – I tend to do it absent-mindedly at my desk, or watching TV. In fact, I think I prefer a hand-wound watch with no screw-down crown – if you rotate watches & don’t use a watch winder, then the Speedmaster is a breeze to fully wind, stick it in the watch box, top-up as necessary, and then pick it up again days later all ready to go.

Hesalite is in some ways a superior material than Sapphire for crystals – the only way in which Sapphire tops Hesalite is in scratch-resistance, but even then, on any vintage watches I’ve had with acrylic crystals some polywatch, brasso or toothpaste (and fine sandpaper if really bad) makes it an easy & quick DIY fix to return to an unblemished state. In all other aspects – shatter-resistance, light glare, weight, expense to replace, warmth of aesthetic – Hesalite comes out trumps. I should say in a few years of Speedmaster ownership I have no bad scratches that require polishing-out as yet – the way some talk you’d think Hesalite is soft as butter.

The absence of Date is a personal thing. I prefer not having one – quicker to set the time & looks better. If it’s a near deal-breaker but you still really yearn for the Speedmaster, then just use the Chronograph seconds hand as a (somewhat cumbersome, admittedly) date pointer.

Accuracy is not always amazing, but then again it’s not sold as a Chronometer. I think Omega say it should be something like a max of +8 secs daily, but mine does quite a bit better than that. It doesn’t hack, but in a low power reserve state some gentle backwards pressure from the crown whilst setting the time allows you to arrest the movement of the seconds hand enough to sync it exactly, if you wish.

Having only two micro-adjust positions on the clasp is rubbish. At some point I’ll buy the bits to add the ‘no tools’ ratchet clasp, but until then it looks fantastic on a brown leather racing strap. Few watches take to a multitude of straps as well as the Speedmaster does – it’s an easy watch to change-up looks if you get bored.

In general, I think it has similar classic good looks, interesting history, everyday wearability, durability & reputation as the Rolex Submariner, but it comes with much less ‘baggage’ (though I love my Sub also).

Master
    Don't relate to the crown wind difficulty but then I honed my skills on a hand-wind Timex as an 8 year old back in the late 70s. You never lose it.... ;-)

And it's always nice to have Batman on your wrist.

It's a fiddle to wind if I try and wind it with my thumb and forefinger of my right hand whilst holding the watch in my left.

But it's a doodle if I hold it in my left hand and wind it with my left thumb and middle finger.

I keep it topped up throughout the day so don't really need to wind it a huge amount unless it's been replaced by another watch for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yes, you need to get over it! 50Metres WR is a bloody lot, OK it's not 300 but provided the watch doesn`t leak it's enough.

I`ve just serviced a 3510:50 Speedy Reduced with 50M WR, the watch is around 15-20 years old. Whilst the movement was out I cleaned out the pushers and checked the seals. On reassembling the case I pressure tested it to 6 bar and it was fine. That's without replacing anything.

In everyday wear you will NOT have a problem with the watch leaking unless the seals are damaged or the crown's left out. Personally I never swim in a decent watch for fear of getting it battered, I don`t shower in watches (can`t see the point), so I don`t get water in my watches even if the WR is only around 3 bar.

Criticizing a watch for only having 50M WR is illogical. The only reason to do so is the fact that watches exist with far greater WR and folks get hooked up on the numbers.
    No - criticising a watch model that has well documented leaking incidents is not illogical, especially when paying thousands of pounds for the privilege of wearing one.

Whilst it is good to know that you have tested an older model to 60m WR equivalent, a 50m WR rating from most brands does not signify that the watch is suitable to being taken on a swim.

I'd happily take a 50m rated casio for a swim, but then I'm not going to be as upset if that (unlikely as it may be) leaked anyway.

Although thankfully it looks like the following has replaced Omegas old table:

https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadm...ance_chart.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    SMP isn't a Speedy - that's the Seamaster Professional that has that initialism (just in case you put a WTB out for the SMP accidentally!)
    Haha I did think that when writing it, although the late night baby brain was think SpeedMaster Pro.....yes SMP is correct. Usually I always refer to it as the Speedy Pro! #epicfail

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Not my watch, but having tried numerous straps have settled on a very similar black rally’s strap from our host, great value at around a tenner from memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living with a Speedmaster Professional

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I definitely prefer it on a strap (another vote for Hirsch leather with white stitching).

This thread has made me wear mine more and more. Definitely another vote Hirsch leather.
    Can’t resist here is mine.

Last edited by woodacre1983; 31st July 2018 at 14:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    This thread has made me wear mine more and more. Definitely another vote Hirsch leather.
    Can’t resist here is mine.

https://i.imgur.com/snqTXEj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eUMorsx.jpg

That looks good, I sometimes wear mine on a Hirsch Professional

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Although thankfully it looks like the following has replaced Omegas old table:

https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadm...ance_chart.pdf
    What did they change?

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    It was a Nick Gabarro perforated racing strap on a Bob Davis deployment. One of the few pieces I regret selling.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What did they change?
    A previous table gave details of suitability of use - with 100m being the minimum suggested for swimming, but this clearly says they have physically tested the watches to the stated depth. Still I have seen far too many 30m and 50m watch being brought into jewellers over the years after a summer holiday to risk it myself.

They even updated the table to show swimming with 30m and 50m a little while after the Ploprof 1200m was released, before that the table had swimming at 100m. I can't find the earliest just yet, but I'll have a look and post it.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 31st July 2018 at 12:02.

Craftsman
    This thread is making me wish I had brought it camping with me in Wales where I only have this G-Shock for company.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A previous table gave details of suitability of use - with 100m being the minimum suggested for swimming, but this clearly says they have physically tested the watches to the stated depth.
    Interesting, ta.

Craftsman
    I chased Subs for years, but always ended up disappointed. The Speedy Pro was my first 'nice' watch, which I sold to buy my first Sub. Now it's ten years later and I'm wearing a Speedy Pro again. It's my daily wearer and I will never sell it. If I want to hit the pool or beach, I have an SKX009.

IMO, it's the perfect watch. EDIT: There is NO such thing as the perfect watch. I know, because I've been chasing it for 15 years. But for me, the Speedy Pro is as close to perfect as I can get, and I'm finally, for the first time in my WIS life, satisfied with a watch. It feels good.
    Last edited by RyanV; 31st July 2018 at 13:10.