closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Solar Tuna (2018 Basel release) - pretty much perfect!

Master

Seiko Solar Tuna (2018 Basel release) - pretty much perfect!

Yesterday, while wandering past my local Seiko boutique, I happened to see what turned out to be the latest iteration of the Seiko Solar Tuna (Basel 2018 release). They looked a little different so I popped inside and tried on the PADI version:

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/sne49...07665.htm#gref

In a nutshell, I think Seiko have absolutely nailed it with this one, producing, in some ways, the perfect tool watch:

1. Quartz: enough said - more accurate, robust and durable than mechanical.
    2. Solar: better yet, no need to open it up to replace batteries. A good blast of sunlight should give 10 months power.
    3. WR: 200m - all you could ever sensibly need and enables the height to be kept reasonable.
    4. Lume: Seiko’s lume is the best in the business. On the PADI they have used green lume for the minute hand as well as for the first 15mins of the bezel (no lume on the rest) and blue lume for the hour hand and hour markers. A nice touch.
    5. Dimensions: Height 11.5mm, Diameter 46.7mm and lug to lug 48mm. Fantastic! Nice big dial for good legibility while keeping all others dimensions sensible.
    6. Shield: plastic – I guess many might prefer steel but, by all accounts, the material used has excellent scratch resistance and, in practical terms, offers both better shock absorbency and keeps the watch very light.
    7. Strap: the latest silicone straps from Seiko are the best I’ve come across. They are amazingly supple and grip the wrist perfectly without exerting any excess pressure or leaving deep marks on the skin. I tried on a turtle as well and it was something of an epiphany – despite being a relatively big, heavy case, the strap held it so perfectly that I could barely feel the watch on my wrist.
    8. Proportions: the previous Solar Tunas’ dials were, in the opinion of many, too small and the bezel looked oversized. This time round, the proportions look much better.

Comfort: the watch is incredibly comfortable on the wrist. The 48mm lug to lug and very short, downward curving shape of the lugs meant it sat more comfortably on my (6.75in) wrist than any other diver I’ve worn and was only matched for comfort by much smaller, lighter watches. The case back is completely flat, again helping it to sit better than cases with a convex back (typical of most divers).

Taking a quick look on the net, to my surprise, the (limited) reviews seem appreciative rather than ecstatic but, imo, I don’t really see what could be improved (leaving aside purely subjective aesthetic considerations) and , at GBP300 after discount, I’m not too sure how you could ask for more.

They had the brown /gold version in a local shop window for 379. I thought it was most handsome! Probably the nicest watch i saw that day.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I agree that these are fantastic watches and the kind of release I've been waiting for from Seiko for years. I added the "Pepsi PADI Solar Tuna" version to the golden version I'd already bought as I couldn't decide which was my favourite. Also with the cost being so reasonable it meant I could keep both without any feelings of guilt.

Been looking for a golden tuna ever since I sold my 7549-7009 600m quartz tuna several years back. I missed it and wanted to recapture the feel of the watch without the heft and 48mm size of that classic.

None of the releases in recent years ever seemed to be what I wanted until this arrived. First impressions are extremely positive and quality seems great at the right price point. The silicone strap is instantly comfortable and the shroud is textured like my old 600m. Legibility is perfect with big hands and a nice black background date which seems to sit in a "well" a few millimetres below the dial. Bezel alignment is perfect and the second hand hits the markers spot on and even the second hand is half gold coloured and the whole gold tone is very subtle.
    Size wise its around 45mm according to my ruler but doesn't look that big on the wrist as much of the size is bezel and shroud. Pics on my 7.5 inch wrist.

Any negatives , well I'm being super-picky as I think its practically perfect but the buckle is a little large compared to the older design but I'll get used to that. Crown is unscrewed btw.

The depth is reminiscent of my old H558 Arnie.

"Charging up"

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 24th July 2018 at 14:10.

Absolutely, I agree, Seiko have done really well with this. OK it's not quite a Tuna but amazing value for money and really gives the feel of a golden Tuna at a sensible size.

The shroud feels like hard coated steel? Perhaps just plastic but the granulated feel is perfect.

Really like the buckle and keeper with a nice polished bevel, same as the new mm300 if I'm not mistaken.

Master
    Thanks for adding all the photos, Neil, and I agree with everything you wrote.

Good spot re the buckle, something a fraction smaller would have been better but it really is the tiniest of complaints. Another upside I forgot to mention (at least for my 6.75in wrist) is that the strap is shorter than on the Turtle. For diving purposes, perhaps this makes it less toolish but, for everyday use it gives a much cleaner look.

Master
    Lots to like about this piece. The golden model is very fetching. Not sure I'll be able to resist.....

Is this a limited edition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There are 3 models, the PADI, the gold and a black one. None of them are limited editions as far as I know.

I really like the goldy one.
    Must resist...

Master
    What's the model number for the gold one folks?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    SNE498P1

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    What's the model number for the gold one folks?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pretty much perfect apart from the wonky date window. Why bother with a date at all if you have to stick it somewhere silly? Another watch that would look significantly better without one.
    "A man of little significance"

Nice looking watches, do like the black and gold model. 

I have a normal Tuna does it wear the same?

Ahh, just read through again the post again, does look good.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 25th July 2018 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Pretty much perfect apart from the wonky date window. Why bother with a date at all if you have to stick it somewhere silly? Another watch that would look significantly better without one.
    I do agree although it's nicely done, in a deep recess. I'd prefer it without the Prospex X though.

Also the location of the screws confuses me, the crown size shroud screw should be at 10, not 15.

Just arrived this morning and I'm very pleased.
    my initial thoughts are what a great watch for the money. I think Seiko have really done an excellent job. May well look at getting the "golden" too on the back of this one.
    Wears very well, light (compared to my 8500 PO I had on). Great strap. Blue colour is different from the usual black, with nice wave black dial. I much prefer this style of hands to the new ones.
    Sorry for crappy photo.

Master
    Damn this forum, gone over my watch limit again! Used the eBay code for discount so reasonable price....

I love the look of Tuna's had a SBBN 115 for a few years looked fantastic on the bracelet, but....the damn thing was so heavy... I could not wait to take it off after a few hours. Plus I hit every door architrave I walked through. I'ts a great tool watch but not an everyday wearer unless your Primo Carnera. Is the Solar lighter? I reckon it must be? I also can't stand Pay now And Die Instantly written on the dial, as a ex diver that was the joke.
    Last edited by wildheart; 3rd August 2018 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I love the look of Tuna's had a SBBN 115 for a few years looked fantastic on the bracelet, but....the damn this was so heavy... I could not wait to take it off after a few hours. Plus I hit every door architrave I walked through. I'ts a great tool watch but not an everyday wearer unless your Primo Carnera. Is the Solar lighter? I reckon it must be? I also can't stand Pay now And Die Instantly written on the dial, as a ex diver that was the joke.
    Yes so much lighter...hard to believe. I've go and had lots of Tunas and this is the most wearable along with the "Arnie". Very similar in size to the original Seiko sbbn007 (which I sold a few years ago) but lighter due to the shroud being nylon/polymer or such material. I like to colours of the PADI version and the extra lume in the bezel hence going for it. At sum £300 seems a good buy to me. I suspect the gold one might be more popular given the various reviews.

Master
    Anyone know if the quartz movement has a permanent calendar?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Anyone know if the quartz movement has a permanent calendar?

If you mean a perpetual calendar then no it isn't and Seiko usually like to advertise this on the dial if applicable.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I love the look of Tuna's had a SBBN 115 for a few years looked fantastic on the bracelet, but....the damn thing was so heavy... I could not wait to take it off after a few hours. Plus I hit every door architrave I walked through. I'ts a great tool watch but not an everyday wearer unless your Primo Carnera. Is the Solar lighter? I reckon it must be? I also can't stand Pay now And Die Instantly written on the dial, as a ex diver that was the joke.
    Yep as Gerard said much lighter and also a good bit smaller than the SBBN but still looks like a proper Tuna I think. I've taken a few pics which may help to show a size comparison with a 7C43 which is the same size as the 7548 and SKX divers.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Anyone know where I could get a deal on the black/gold version? Note someone paid around £300. Tried it in John Lewis, but not wishing to pay full rrp.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Anyone know where I could get a deal on the black/gold version? Note someone paid around £300. Tried it in John Lewis, but not wishing to pay full rrp.

Ant
    + 1!!

Keeping an an eye out for if one of the above get flipped!

Seiko Solar Tuna (2018 Basel release) - pretty much perfect!

This one from a Dutch dealer on chrono24 just had a price drop to around £300:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/sne...-id8407659.htm

I was tempted but i have my eye on something else and need to stay disciplined

Craftsman
    Mister Limited has them in stock for 329 euros.

In the sun

Master
    Just ordered mine on Chrono24 for Eur300 (after the usual negotiating).

The only issue with these for our kind of watch wearing is the capacitor. It will stay healthy longer if kept charged....if left to run down in the watch box a lot of the time the operating life of the capacitor will be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    The only issue with these for our kind of watch wearing is the capacitor. It will stay healthy longer if kept charged....if left to run down in the watch box a lot of the time the operating life of the capacitor will be reduced.
    Full charge lasts 9-10 months. I suspect I will wear mine within rotation drying that period, so don't foresee it running completely down. Or are you saying capacitor has to be kept fully charged? If so it is just a matter of not putting it into a box I guess.

I’m not sure how energy efficient Seiko’s solar system is, but once fully charged the Casio solar/atomic g shocks I own seem to stay at ‘hi charge’ throughout the winter in a drawer, even though they are syncing every night. A few days wear during the summer (or left outside in direct sunlight, or indeed on a windowsill) appears to be more than enough to keep them topped up. The kinetic system on the other hand an be problematic as you seem to need to wear for at least a couple of days a month to achieve the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Full charge lasts 9-10 months. I suspect I will wear mine within rotation drying that period, so don't foresee it running completely down. Or are you saying capacitor has to be kept fully charged? If so it is just a matter of not putting it into a box I guess.
    Yup. If its not on your wrist it should be on the window sill.

Why does it need to be kept fully charged? What's the point in it having a ten month life then?

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Yep as Gerard said much lighter and also a good bit smaller than the SBBN but still looks like a proper Tuna I think. I've taken a few pics which may help to show a size comparison with a 7C43 which is the same size as the 7548 and SKX divers.

Cheers
    Neil
    Thanks Neil, very helpful. It would be good to see one along side a SBBN tuna, I like the look of the Golden Solar Tuna, maybe one will come up on SC?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Why does it need to be kept fully charged? What's the point in it having a ten month life then?
    I think you’re right tbh - when the technology first appeared it was probably a good idea to keep anything solar powered fully charged for the health of the capacitor. But this is not exactly a new technology and has surely improved- but people still act like it’s 1990!

It doesn't need to be kept fully charged, but the life of the capacitor is longer if it is kept charged.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I think you’re right tbh - when the technology first appeared it was probably a good idea to keep anything solar powered fully charged for the health of the capacitor. But this is not exactly a new technology and has surely improved- but people still act like it’s 1990!
    I've had a failured Seiko Solar Chrono. I bought it about 3 years ago and wore infrequently. I took it to my watchmaker who confirmed the capacitor had failed and said they did much better if kept charged.

But I'm sure you know better.

Thanks to this thread I’ve got the black and gold version on its way from the nice jewellers in the Netherlands!

It doesn't need to be kept fully charged, but the life of the capacitor is longer if it is kept charged.
    Good to know! No danger at the moment but I suppose might become more of an issue in the winter months or if it falls out of favour in the rotation...

I've had a failured Seiko Solar Chrono. I bought it about 3 years ago and wore infrequently. I took it to my watchmaker who confirmed the capacitor had failed and said they did much better if kept charged.

But I'm sure you know better.
    No need for the sarcasm. I’ve had a Rolex submariners returned from St James with a bent crown that made it very difficult to wind - things can and will go wrong but not to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    No need for the sarcasm. I’ve had a Rolex submariners returned from St James with a bent crown that made it very difficult to wind - things can and will go wrong but not to everybody.
    I was prompted by your sarcasm ("...but people still act like it’s 1990!"). If you don't like it, don't do it.

Might get rid of my quartz Tuna and get the gold/black one.

Is it just the gold & PADI that are available, any other versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post

There's a brown gold. I think that's the nicest

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thanks Dave, going googlin. 👍👍😃

Pictures I've seen online don't really do it justice.
    But I've seen one in a local shop window and it's wuvvly

Also a silver and black

SNE497

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Which is the brown gold? Haven't seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post

Much as though I love the gold one and it is great value, I wouldn't say it is a replacement for a quartz Tuna and I won't be getting rid of mine.

Master
    I got mine this morning, the PADI version. It replaces the Mini Turtle as I found the turtle a little small.

Very pleased with it so far.

[img]Seiko PADI SNE497P1 by iaintookey, on Flickr[/img]
    Last edited by Tooks; 7th August 2018 at 12:15.

Which is the brown gold? Haven't seen that.
    Don't know what the number is, but it definitely exists, because I've seen one!

Much as though I love the gold one and it is great value, I wouldn't say it is a replacement for a quartz Tuna and I won't be getting rid of mine.
    Your right of course, it won't replace the quartz Tuna. But I haven't worn mine for a while and now it just feels so heavy, it's on a seiko bracelet too which doesn't help. 😃