closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Great GPS APP

Master

Great GPS APP

One of my mates came to see me yesterday and was showing me a really good App... called “what3words”

Basically he works for a utility company and can find himself in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. This app allows him to direct fellow workers to within 3 metres of his location.

It’s a Grid and each grid uses 3 words to identify where it is... it’s way more accurate than using lat and long...

So say you were at Glastonbury, or Brands Hatch and you wanted to meet a friend? You open the app and tell them the 3 words for the grid you’re standing in, they type the 3 words into the app, and it will direct them to your exact location..

Check out the reviews at the App Store, it’s not only useful it’s quite good fun...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words

https://what3words.com
    Last edited by Enoch; 29th July 2018 at 10:15.

I believe your second link is missing the tld and should be https://what3words.com/

Really like that thanks

Looks like a great idea with a simple solution to what could be a problem however, the initial app front page invites you to "find your 3 word location" so I clicked it and it told me I was in a place which was actually, according to Google Maps 426 miles away from my home where I'm sat having a brew right now so a little glitch or refinement due perhaps...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Looks like a great idea with a simple solution to what could be a problem however, the initial app front page invites you to "find your 3 word location" so I clicked it and it told me I was in a place which was actually, according to Google Maps 426 miles away from my home where I'm sat having a brew right now so a little glitch or refinement due perhaps...
    Strange, it’s worked for me up to now.... it does use the same words and puts great distance between them to make it obvious where we are...

So for example I picked a grid at Oulton Park called “inviting.cartoons.widen”...... My mate typed this into his app, and it gave him 3 options, Massachusetts, Sydney and Cheshire. So the 3 places are so far apart it becomes obvious which one to use.

Give it another try

Fixed the link...thanks Pete

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good app for those that need to direct people to them.

ook

Master
    That's an interesting app. Mind you I also quite like the Viz-like version what3f***s.com as mentioned on the Wikipedia page. I'm not sure it's as geographically rigourous though.

Good app apparently. Will be testing as it’s a good way to find little one or wife since the description of where they are is sometimes a bit... creative.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Great for the outdoors I guess, but a bit of a faff if you just need to go to a specific address.

Just tried it, I don't get the point of it at all, ask for directions and it just links to Google or Apple maps or Waze.

May as well just use them directly
    Last edited by nunya; 29th July 2018 at 13:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Great for the outdoors I guess, but a bit of a faff if you just need to go to a specific address.

Just tried it, I don't get the point of it at all, ask for directions and it just links to Google or Apple maps or Waze.

May as well just use them directly
    I don’t know about Waze or apple maps.... are they able to locate a 3m square in the middle of a field?

Brilliant for parents.
    Brilliant for my old job, replacing telegraph poles out in the middle of nowhere.

I really can't see any advantage whatsoever over using latitude/longitude co-ordinates - especially as what3words is proprietary and copyrighted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I really can't see any advantage whatsoever over using latitude/longitude co-ordinates - especially as what3words is proprietary and copyrighted.
    Well lat and long coordinates have loads of different formats and would be about 10 digits each to get you to this sort of accuracy, input 1 wrong digit and you could be in the next county...

I’m not sure what copywriting has to do with it, it’s a free app and easy to use...

There’s a field at the school my sister went to “limp.sediment.grad” what would be the long and lat for the centre of that field??
    Last edited by Enoch; 29th July 2018 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’m not sure what copywriting has to do with it, it’s a free app and easy to use...
    Simple - it may be free now, but that doesn't mean that it will always be free (I'm pretty sure that they will be looking at how best to monetise it if/when they get to a critical mass of users).

And being copyright it means that nobody else will be able to create any apps to compete with it.

You mean, like what 3 f*cks or what3 ducks? You’re right, they cannot exist.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Send your location in WhatsApp?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You mean, like what 3 f*cks or what3 ducks? You’re right, they cannot exist.
    You totally misunderstand both how what3words works and what the comedy sites you mention have done.

How is this any better than sharing your location with a dropped google map pin?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    How is this any better than sharing your location with a dropped google map pin?
    Google map pins can be 30 feet off, this app is within 10 feet

Master

Great GPS APP

If you can’t see the person you are looking for in 30 feet you have bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    If you can’t see the person you are looking for in 30 feet you have bigger problems.
    Need one of these....?

Admit it, you're no salesman.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    People can be really miserable on the internet/here! I think it's an interesting concept and can see why it would be useful so thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    The difference between 10 and 30 feet in a packed festival/shopping centre/theme park can be a considerable number of bodies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    People can be really miserable on the internet/here! I think it's an interesting concept and can see why it would be useful so thanks for sharing.
    You’re welcome.... hope you find it fun and of some use..👍

As for miserable people, I find them very easy to ignore😎

Master
    Hey, another big thanks to the OP for highlighting this App.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great app, I got the whole family to put it in their phones. It's simplicity of use and accuracy make it a must to me.
    Think holidays or outings in the countryside, think lost in the hills in a sudden change of conditions.
    Thanks for posting Enoch, this app has the potential to keep parents happy or even save lives.
    Nice one.

Thanks for the heads up Op. I like the simple interface, and of course as well as the 3 word reference you can choose to send an OS grid reference also. Handy if in a strange city and you chance upon a location you'd like to return to, simple to store in favourites. Not an app I'll use a lot, but very useful if needed.
    F.T.F.A.

How is it more accurate than google maps etc? I had assumed that the inaccuracy with google maps was down to the devices gps system, not the map app, no? So this app may pin you down to a 3m square, but surely it's likely to be a 3m square that's just as far out as a google maps pin?

Edit: Sat at my desk at work and just opened google maps on my phone, it puts me at a point just outside, probably 10m from where i'm actually sat. Opened this new app and it puts me in the exact same spot, so as i said, it may pin you down to a 3m square, but as it's no more accurate at pinpointing you than google maps, it will probably be one thats 10-20m away from where you actually are
    Last edited by Brighty; 31st July 2018 at 09:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Op. I like the simple interface, and of course as well as the 3 word reference you can choose to send an OS grid reference also. Handy if in a strange city and you chance upon a location you'd like to return to, simple to store in favourites. Not an app I'll use a lot, but very useful if needed.
    Thanks for that, I didn’t know about the OS grid reference, that will come in handy...

I think the point about miss typing a grid reference if fair and one is less likely to miss spell 3 simple words ,maybe. Nice and precise location for more remote spots.

But W3W can only be accurate to 3 metres if the sensor in your phone is accurate, which is what Google maps/Whatsapp location sharing uses anyway. The bottom line is Google Maps can be 30 feet off, sure - it accounts for its own margin of error. Sounds to me that W3W uses the same sensor and takes its best guess at which 3 metres you're in. Of course no one will notice, because once you're within about 30 metres you'll be able to see your target "in the middle of a field".

This is just idiot-proofing coordinates, nothing revolutionary.