closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datejust Values, why so low ?

Master

Datejust Values, why so low ?

Comparing used/Vintage Datejusts with other Rolex, why are values so low (approx 50% of current RRP) ?
    Is it the now unfashionable 36mm Case ?
    Or simply plentiful supply ?
    A Dealer I know has had a Vintage Full Set in stunning condition for nearly Two years now and you’d get plenty of change from £3k.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

1. Not sports

2. Too small

3. Too plentiful

Craftsman
    Too plentifull and the ones made in China look just like the real deal so no point in getting one

Craftsman
    Old fashioned style watch. Bit ugly.

Journeyman
    On the plus side, if you had bought one 20 years ago to at rrp you'd probably get your money back if you sold it now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart67 View Post
    On the plus side, if you had bought one 20 years ago to at rrp you'd probably get your money back if you sold it now.
    Yeah if You can find some one who wants it.As the OP says its awash with them at the moment

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Yeah if You can find some one who wants it.As the OP says its awash with them at the moment
    I think they were about £2300 in the late nineties and I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to achieve that price for a nice example with box and papers.

Master
    They're not too low, it's just current models are way too high. When they fall out of fashion, which they inevitably will, those who've paid way over rrp for an investment purpose will have egg on their face. If you've bought one to wear it, then fair enough.

They are common, the best selling of the Rolex watches. I worked at a Rolex AD many years ago (early 1980's) and we sold at least 10 DJs for every sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    They're not too low, it's just current models are way too high. When they fall out of fashion, which they inevitably will, those who've paid way over rrp for an investment purpose will have egg on their face. If you've bought one to wear it, then fair enough.
    I (for the most part)Agree with this. Fashions and tastes change.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post
    I (for the most part)Agree with this. Fashions and tastes change.

Kids today will think it's a crazy waste of time having a mechanical watch. They'll have smart watches. Of course you could wait for the hipster reinvention of 2048...

Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    Kids today will think it's a crazy waste of time having a mechanical watch. They'll have smart watches. Of course you could wait for the hipster reinvention of 2048...
    Also forum communities are quite insular and removed from ordinary punters. There will always be niche markets. People buying a brand new Mercedes E220(as a random example) know that it drops 10k they minute they drive it off a forecourt. It doesn’t affect sales. Similarly the buyer of a two tone date just cares little of its value in 10 years or what rolex forum members in Nebraska thing of his choice.

3k is a good increase on the 150 quid they were in the early 90's

I totally disagree, I think you will find most <40mm watches are very much the trend at the moment.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 22nd July 2018 at 20:11.

And will soon become much more desirable for the mainstream.

Slightly! on topic,

I normally "prefer" watches larger than 36mm.

So with that in mind.

I quite like the Datejust 11....so much so, Im even thinking of either flipping my S.D. for one,

or else plan B.....My retirement "treat"! to myself in 2 years time..

Grand Master
    Most of the comments on here are people's subjective opinions and most are not true.

Datejust values are good, my 2002 16234 is worth around £2800 without box and papers. I paid £1550 for it 10 years ago from a dealer, so I think it's done OK on value.

There's nothing wrong with the style, the current offering is very similar so it's hard to say it's gone out of fashion.

The simple answer is the obvious one. Certain sports Rolex models have done exceptionally well, far better than anyone could predict. God knows why, in my opinion the Subs and GMTs are way overpriced for what they offer.

To me the Datejust is a far classier choice than the Subs, GMTs etc, it's a stylish watch that gives out the 'good taste' message in a way the sports models never will. Most divers look clumsy and clunky when you think about it, unless you really do go diving they're a bit pointless. A bit liking driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle when you don`t need it, it's all about the image and for me it's an image I don`t find appealing.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I totally disagree, I think you will find most <40mm watches are very much the trend at the moment.
    You missed your chance to buy my 16234 when I offered it to you, I`ve now decided to keep it.

By the way, thanks for letting me know, a polite PM to say you were no longer interested would've been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Most of the comments on here are people's subjective opinions and most are not true.

Datejust values are good, my 2002 16234 is worth around £2800 without box and papers. I paid £1550 for it 10 years ago from a dealer, so I think it's done OK on value.

There's nothing wrong with the style, the current offering is very similar so it's hard to say it's gone out of fashion.

The simple answer is the obvious one. Certain sports Rolex models have done exceptionally well, far better than anyone could predict. God knows why, in my opinion the Subs and GMTs are way overpriced for what they offer.

To me the Datejust is a far classier choice than the Subs, GMTs etc, it's a stylish watch that gives out the 'good taste' message in a way the sports models never will. Most divers look clumsy and clunky when you think about it, unless you really do go diving they're a bit pointless. A bit liking driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle when you don`t need it, it's all about the image and for me it's an image I don`t find appealing.

Paul
    Which is your ‘subjective opinion’ and not a lot different from anything said above.

I really like the 36mil Oystersteel DJ with smooth bezel, blue or rhodium dial and jubilee bracelet. Super comfy and classy proposition. These are readily available and can be had at more reasonable prices than the GMTs and Subs going for ridiculous money.

Patiently waiting for the 32xx movement to become available in the 36mil steel DJs.

They're a bit "old man"........ The sort of watch uncle Sid would wear......particularly gold or fluted bezel

I'm not so sure that there is an issue with the Datejust 2 or the replacement Datejust 41. Those are seen as new models and more in line with modern sizes and the sizes of the sports models and as such their trading price is fairly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    They're a bit "old man"........ The sort of watch uncle Sid would wear......particularly gold or fluted bezel
    You could say the same about the Sub, GMT, Daytona or Day/Date...

Craftsman
    Yes along with the gold chain and St Christopher lol

They're a bit "old man"........
    Maybe old men just have more taste

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I'm not so sure that there is an issue with the Datejust 2 or the replacement Datejust 41. Those are seen as new models and more in line with modern sizes and the sizes of the sports models and as such their trading price is fairly good.
    A DJII is one of my most worn watches at present. I bought a new 36mm DJ at the same time and just haven’t worn it at all - but then I have larger wrists so the larger sizes suit me better.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’m not sure the watches are too low in values - just earlier versions don’t have the same appeal as older/vintage sports Rolex.

The more modern watches are just more wearable imo. The bracelets are a huge step forward, and even the 36mm versions seem more rounded these days.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    +1.......very true.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Bit ugly? Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Noyhing to do with taste.. They just know the difference between fashion and style.

Old man's watch? I bought mine in 1984 when I was 27. Sports watches? Cycling, running, swimming, climbing and 20 years of firefighting with mine. Ugly . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    It’s an apples and oranges comparison anyway. Many like vintage Rolex sports because they have wearable sizes, and to many people they look better than the current models. Supply and demand dictates high prices. For DJs, similar modern models are available, the vintage ones were originally cheaper than the sports models anyway, supply has never been an issue, and they’ve only recently worked out how to update the sizes (though an Oyster Perpetual Date 38mm would be even better IMO). Just be glad vintage DJs are so readily available in variations to suit everyone, and look great on anything less than huge wrists. You can even enjoy finding interesting dial colours or less common variations without paying too much of a premium, as with the flat bezel and oyster bracelet 16000 posted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Old man's watch? I bought mine in 1984 when I was 27. Sports watches? Cycling, running, swimming, climbing and 20 years of firefighting with mine. Ugly . . .

That's a cracker. Really like the outer track too.

I was very close to selling my Sub and going for the pinstripe DJ that was in the classifieds.

Vintage Datejust really are underrated and offer great value for money. They are timeless and pretty much work in all situations for any age group.

Master
    New and used, often the best value in the Rolex range. Choose carefully and you get something rugged and elegant. I realise it's not a widely held view...to put it mildly...but I think a grey dial 41mm DJ on a Jubilee is a better looking watch than any of the 'professional' range.
    If all Rolex models were widely available (imagine that) I think the Datejust would probably outsell any other model by a large margin. It's just such a versatile watch.

I really wanted to like a 36mm datejust for couple of reasons. First, they are had for reasonable money, and second, I like the design/heritage. My issue is that I have a 7.75inch wrist and it looks a little too small to wear regularly. If I were less of a lump I would definitely have one.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    New and used, often the best value in the Rolex range. Choose carefully and you get something rugged and elegant. I realise it's not a widely held view...to put it mildly...but I think a grey dial 41mm DJ on a Jubilee is a better looking watch than any of the 'professional' range.
    If all Rolex models were widely available (imagine that) I think the Datejust would probably outsell any other model by a large margin. It's just such a versatile watch.
    Agreed the DJ is very versatile.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Bit ugly? Are you sure?

I eat My earlier words.Thats nice and a watch to be proud of

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

A few months ago I thought I really wanted an Explorer 2 or GMT. Having had a chance to try on a lot of the current models Rolex offers I most like the DJ 36. Previously I didn’t even look at it as it is available everywhere and doesn’t seem very desirable considering there are about 50 in every Goldsmiths.

It’s a classic design and I believe it suits a young man just as well as an older gent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    3k is a good increase on the 150 quid they were in the early 90's
    Was that for one of those Asian homages? I bought my bi-metal DJ in 1990 for £2026 and unfortunately it was used as my daily for 20 years, only sold it because the crown thread was knackered due to having to adjust the time every week and the bracelet hung at ninety degrees, the links being worn so thin, I got £800 from a watchmaker friend and thought that was ok, Rolex then rammed the list price up and the second hand watch price followed suit. Perhaps I should have kept it locked up and never used... I would still have it today, like most Rolex owners perhaps? I loved every minute of wearing that watch, It was a great reward for some serious hard graft over the years, I shudder to think how many watches are owned by the credit card companies today... and not appreciated.

Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    This. For the same money or less there are much nicer designs around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    This. For the same money or less there are much nicer designs around.
    Well, if you’re going to make a subjective comment you might as well name some of them and get a proper argument going ;-) - and remember we’re talking vintage DJs here so aim either side of £2k or so.

Well, if you’re going to make a subjective comment you might as well name some of them and get a proper argument going ;-) - and remember we’re talking vintage DJs here so aim either side of £2k or so.
    Constellation, JLC vintage, Speedmasters, just to name a few.
    A DJ is the sort of watch I think is just overpriced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Constellation, JLC vintage, Speedmasters, just to name a few.
    A DJ is the sort of watch I think is just overpriced.
    Fair suggestions, and yet none I‘d swap for the 16000 pictured earlier. I’ve done the Omegas, love vintage JLC but not so much the bracelets. My speedies are long gone but the DJ remains, as does the DJ Oysterquartz. Other watches may seem seem more ‘exciting’ but they‘re just ludicrously practical, and balance a loud brand with understated vintage style. In practice they just work.

Fair suggestions, and yet none I‘d swap for the 16000 pictured earlier. I’ve done the Omegas, love vintage JLC but not so much the bracelets. My speedies are long gone but the DJ remains, as does the DJ Oysterquartz. Other watches may seem seem more ‘exciting’ but they‘re just ludicrously practical, and balance a loud brand with understated vintage style. In practice they just work.
    It is just my opinion/feeling. Everybody is totally free to think different.

The vintage models are extremely good value for money but all datejusts whether vintage or modern hold value well,I bought a datejust a few months ago so looked into vintage and modern prices. How anyone can call them ugly is beyond me.....

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I really wanted to like a 36mm datejust for couple of reasons. First, they are had for reasonable money, and second, I like the design/heritage. My issue is that I have a 7.75inch wrist and it looks a little too small to wear regularly. If I were less of a lump I would definitely have one.
    Although my wrist isn't that big it's still quite big and I had the same worries that you have. I bought an older 36mm datejust and had to return it and get a 2008 model which sits on my wrist perfectly due to the wider lugs,it makes a huge difference,maybe something to look into

Craftsman
    Just not desirable or fashionable at the moment. In some ways this could be because of the huge range of options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Just not desirable or fashionable at the moment. In some ways this could be because of the huge range of options available.
    I disagree, vintage DJ’s along with vintage Omega’s etc are extremely desirable and fashionable with people at the moment who set the trends rather than follow them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I disagree, vintage DJ’s along with vintage Omega’s etc are extremely desirable and fashionable with people at the moment who set the trends rather than follow them.

Ha ha ha ha ....