closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Capri Mk. 1

Ford Capri Mk. 1

Spotted this in Paris this morning - an immaculate (i.e. like it just rolled out of the showroom) Ford Capri Mk 1. It was badged 1700 GT XLR, so I guess a continental engine option. I also noticed it had a fitted HRW, when I bought a 9 year old 1600 GT XLR 40 years ago I used Players No. 6 coupons to send away for a stick-on heating element - complete with James Bond-style toggle switch and telltale light to fit to the central console.

What a beauty

Think the 1700 is the V4 Taunus engine. Never offered in the UK, as far as I know.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    I had a Mk1 Capri (SVV 830K) around 1980, bright yellow.

Well the bits that weren't rusty were yellow!

I can't imagine how this lasted so long.

My first car. How I loved it.

What a total beauty. I remember when I was a boy my days friend had one. I loved it so much and was in total awe of how cool its owner was compared to my Dad. The mind of a child. I’d buy one in the morning if I could, so still a boy at heart.

Love it!

Master
    What a beauty...my first proper car was a 1600 gt Capri FBW 61K in bright yellow with a black vinyl roof and black plastic seats on revolution wheels I loved it especially on roundabouts in the wet. There's seems to be a real cult following for some of these old Fords now. The crossflow engine has been going for years and years now....

Glad to read there's so much love for these. Funny how we remember registration numbers, I'm no different - my first car, same as the one I spotted this morning, was UUJ 378J and then I swapped it for a Mk. I facelift FDA 42J.

The really impressive thing about the one in the photo was the interior (I had a gawp in), when I bought mine the interior was already shagged - split in the plastic on the dashboard, split in the driver's seat, but this one was as perfect inside as out.

Wonderful cars, just super-cool with a bonnet that seems to go on forever.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What a stunner!!

Isn't this the MK1?
    Confused here....

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a Ford Consul Capri

I had a red 3000E from 80-85, restored it, stuck a turbo on it, grenaded it, scrapped it.
    It was a great car for its time

Excellent nostalgia which handled a bit better with a hundred weight bag of cement in the boot

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Isn't this the MK1?
    Confused here....
    Always thought that was the MK1 as well

Craftsman
    I’ve had 5 Capri’s of varying vintages and love them. The best was probably a 3.0 MK2 GXL in signal red that I blew the first engine up on and replaced it with a stage 1 tuned V6 with Holley carb, it sounded and went great but sadly neither the brakes or floor pan were up to par. This is my mates Lotus homage, they didn’t do a Lotus Capri sadly but he stuck a 2.2 twin cam lotus lump in this and it was the dog’s danglies.

Craftsman
    Photo no worky, try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having some idea as to how people park in Paris that's a touch brave to have such a seemingly age defying car parked up like that.

She's a fine, fine thing, mind.

I still think the Zakspeed Capri was one of the best looking race saloon cars of all time https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LvBbK3_zN7k/maxresdefault.jpg
    Last edited by adrianw; 23rd July 2018 at 06:39.

Always loved the Capri's but never got one.

Drove plenty though at my tuning firm, that bonnet was pretty long!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I also noticed it had a fitted HRW, when I bought a 9 year old 1600 GT XLR 40 years ago I used Players No. 6 coupons to send away for a stick-on heating element - complete with James Bond-style toggle switch and telltale light to fit to the central console.
    I bet it was a Smiths HRW kit.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Back in the early 70's I needed a new car, £500 budget, local garage had a choice of 2 cars at my budget limit, a V12 E Type, or a nearly new 1300 GT Capri.

Petrol was going through the roof on an almost daily basis and car sharing was the norm. So I bought the Capri. In hindsight, that may have been a mistake
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

What part of this is a Capri?
    Or even 'looks' like a Capri?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    What part of this is a Capri?
    Or even 'looks' like a Capri?

It’s a race car, as was the works RS3100 and the BDA and BDB’s, they all looked amazing

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s a race car, as was the works RS3100 and the BDA and BDB’s, they all looked amazing
    And still instantly recognisable.

Master
    Remember the Capri Delboy had

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Remember the Capri Delboy had
    The ‘Capree Jeeah’:-)

Here’s a couple of old snaps of mine.

What a stunning car. Ford got the recipe just right when they made these timeless classics.

I’d still love to have one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    What a stunning car. Ford got the recipe just right when they made these timeless classics.

I’d still love to have one now.
    Couldn’t agree more. That’s why I still have mine...

It really brings out the best in people. For instance, last time I took it to a Lancs GTG Unclealec pulled me off (!)

Mate there's no way I'm coming to the GTG if that's what goes on!

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Don’t worry. The McrGTGs involve more beer, and less gravel.

Craftsman

Thumbs up

Mine was a yellow 1600GT back in the ‘70’s, RUH711M and I sold it pay the deposit on my first flat. Spotted it, parked up a few months later and asked the owner how he liked it - mistake, the cam belt had snapped and lunched the engine...

Great car in it’s day though.

Well as this has turned into a bit of a Capri love-in, here's my 1600 GT Mark I facelift - bought in 1979, together with my first company car - a T reg' Cortina 1600, which wasn't even an 'L'!

Grand Master
    Mk 1 facelift model was the nicest looking Capri, particularly in 3 litre guise.

I briefly owned a 1978 2 litre GL, I think they were referred to as Mk 111 but was really a facelifted mk 2. Mine was nice, fairly quick by early 80s standards, but a real handful in the wet.

Surprising how few Capris are around thesedays, they’re a rare sight even at classic car shows.

Paul

Always lusted after a Capri, but the prospect of ever having one was scuttled after my uncle died crashing his at a tragically young age.

The adverts were great - "The car you always promised yourself" - there's a nice selection HERE. Prices from £890 :)
    Last edited by DMC102; 26th July 2018 at 11:01.

I just saw a white mk1 in Nairobi this morning, zooming in and out of traffic. Looked to be in pretty good condition, for cars in Nairobi.

Journeyman
    I had one (EKJ790K) in 1974, had an epic cross Europe adventure in it, visiting France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and the then Yugoslavia, returning via the Stelvio Pass into Switzerland, France, Luxembourg.....

Sadly no pictures that I can find. It was metalic bronze with four spoke Revolution wheels, an airdam, quarter bumpers and a 3 litre bonnet, sold it in 1975 to buy a new Renault 5 as had just moved out to Hertfordshire and needed a more economical/practical car to handle the daily commute into London I sometimes wonder what happened to it, doesn't seem to have survived....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Such a pretty car in its era. A lad who works for me his dad has a 3.0 GT Canary Yellow 74 vintage owned from new covered 34k miles the only mileage it did after the 70s was MOT garage every year, it’s concourse

Driving a Capri is the closest I’ll ever get to feeling like a rock star. Traffic stops to let you out of junctions, people beep their horns and wave, and there is an endless stream of folk telling you how they had a 1.6 Laser back in the day. Once they realise it’s a 2.8i they think it’s a rocket ship! (The truth is it won’t keep up with most modern diesel-weasels, but let’s forget that bit).

And of course occasionally you get pulled off by a high-vis wearing TZ member. Safety first!

Master
    And let's not forget the Capri was the car of choice for Bodie and Doyle.
    Any car good enough for them is surely good enough for any TZer
    Simon your white L reg had spotlights to, lovely!

I've always loved the styling of the Capri and it's really stood the test of time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I've always loved the styling of the Capri and it's really stood the test of time.
    Driving a pimped up one in Yugoslavia in 1974 got me looks akin to if I had been driving a Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    Driving a pimped up one in Yugoslavia in 1974 got me looks akin to if I had been driving a Ferrari
    Still happens today mate, trust me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Back in the early 70's I needed a new car, £500 budget, local garage had a choice of 2 cars at my budget limit, a V12 E Type, or a nearly new 1300 GT Capri.

Petrol was going through the roof on an almost daily basis and car sharing was the norm. So I bought the Capri. In hindsight, that may have been a mistake
    Perhaps seen in the light of current’s day value. But then you overlook the insane repair bills the V12 would have brought upon you. Current price for an engine rebuild (with all bells and whistles, including getting it out, instelling, setting it up on a rolling road) sets you back between 15 and 18k euros @60 euros/hr ex VAT. Eyewatering expensive but it can not be done (propely) for less

A neighbour of mine years ago used to have an RS3100 & red Tickford.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Think the 1700 is the V4 Taunus engine. Never offered in the UK, as far as I know.

Cheers,

Plug
    Correct, built in Cologne and Saarlouis. For some reason, the first batch of German Capris used the old V4 engines in the 1300, 1500 and 1700 versions rather than the straight-4 Kent engines (which replaced the V4s when the 1972 facelifted version was introduced). The coolest Capri I out of Germany was the 2600RS, one of the most beautiful cars of the 70s:

Plenty of nice pictures in this thread, even if some are of Capri Mk II.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Excellent nostalgia which handled a bit better with a hundred weight bag of cement in the boot
    Lol! Reminds me of the Rover SD1, you needed a 3’ x 2’ concrete slab in the boot to hold the arse down in that car.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Correct, built in Cologne and Saarlouis. For some reason, the first batch of German Capris used the old V4 engines in the 1300, 1500 and 1700 versions rather than the straight-4 Kent engines (which replaced the V4s when the 1972 facelifted version was introduced). The coolest Capri I out of Germany was the 2600RS, one of the most beautiful cars of the 70s:

Plenty of nice pictures in this thread, even if some are of Capri Mk II.
    Other than the twin head lights, Revolution 4 spokes instead of the RS ones and body colour, that is exactly how my Mk1 looked in 1974

Craftsman
    I loved the Capri. My first was a MK1 V4 which was horrible. I rebuilt the engine, balanced the pistons, replaced the balance shaft. The thing was still nasty, I think it was the same engine from the Transit. The first time I cleaned it, I found the vents forward of the rear wheels were stick on fakes. My heart sank but I still loved the car.

Went on the buy it in various guises, including the 2.0S and a brand new 2.8i in Jan 1984. Checking the gov website, doesn't look like that car made it past it's 10th anniversary and must be rotting away somewhere now.

Apprentice
    I loved John Barker from EVO mag's Capri when he finally finished it after a few years.

Real project too and this was before you could look up progress on builds on Youtube etc and had to buy the mag to see what he was doing on it.

More on it here: https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/ford-capr.../ford-capri-v8