closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I popped into F Hart, ignored for 5 mins, left. Ho Hum

Journeyman

I popped into F Hart, ignored for 5 mins, left. Ho Hum

I had to nip to the shops at Cribs, Bristol and as I was there thought I'd pop into FH to inquire about a Tudor GMT, none in the window, but that didn't surprised me so I went in hoping to try one on perhaps, inquire about ordering and if by chance there was one hidden in the building I'd probably have crumbled and bought it there and then.

There were two members of staff in sight, one was serving a lady already, getting items from the window, the other was doing something to the windows displays (I didn't stare too closely), I had a stroll through the shop, glanced in the Tissot and Oris cabinets and then made my way to the desk at the front with a Tudor sign and pack of brochures, I'm looking around the whole time glancing at both members of staff, but nothing :-( no "hello", no "with you in a sec", not even eye contact. In all zero recognition that I was there, I waited about 5 minutes like that, shrugged and hit Brian Mode (move on small mollusc).

Now, I don't expect a red carpet, a fanfare, or Pretty Woman style fawning, but I'll only stand in a shop for so long being ignored - sigh.

rant over, as you were

Apprentice

I popped into F Hart, ignored for 5 mins, left. Ho Hum

There is a guy that works there called Josh, very helpful chap who helped put me on the list for the GMT.

Luck would have it, I got a call for the BLNR so went back to him and got my deposit back straight away. This was a couple of weeks ago and I was 6th on the list then and they’d only received one. There were plenty more people on the list after me so it was probably a blessing in disguise that you didn’t talk to anyone... would have wasted your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be easier to just pipe up and say 'Excuse me, I'd like to buy...'

I know you shouldn't have to make the first move, but you could be enjoying a new watch this evening rather than moaning about a wasted trip.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ped22 View Post
    BLNR
    Nice. Enjoy 👍

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just pipe up and say 'Excuse me, I'd like to buy...'
    Lol Chris. I would have if I could have made eye contact.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    ....Now, I don't expect a red carpet, a fanfare, or Pretty Woman style fawning, but I'll only stand in a shop for so long being ignored...
    I make you 100% right. I’d have done the same. In fact, when I reach that point I really do count down from ten and then leave. I get the “Oh, no. Here we go” look from the wife if she’s with me too. They don’t deserve your money.

I prefer not to be approached by staff when I go into a shop. Much easier to ask for help when required than be badgered when you’re just in for a look.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I prefer not to be approached by staff when I go into a shop. Much easier to ask for help when required than be badgered when you’re just in for a look.
    I agree, which then leaves staff in a position of damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Probably would have been a lot easier for the OP to just walk up to the nearest member of staff and say "Excuse me" Rather than standing around waiting to be served.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I agree, which then leaves staff in a position of damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Probably would have been a lot easier for the OP to just walk up to the nearest member of staff and say "Excuse me" Rather than standing around waiting to be served.
    Well if my preference was TO be approached - and they didn’t - I’m pretty sure I’d just either return later or just resort to the dreaded “excuse me”. Has the world really come to this?

Next we will return watches if the staff don’t wave at us hollering “have a nice day”.

You'll go to the effort of posting your experience on an internet forum - rather than pipe up and say "excuse me can I have some help etc".

Well if my preference was TO be approached - and they didn’t - I’m pretty sure I’d just either return later or just resort to the dreaded “excuse me”. Has the world really come to this?

Next we will return watches if the staff don’t wave at us hollering “have a nice day”.
    That was pretty much my point.

Grand Master
    I dislike discourteous behaviour, but f I was serious about buying it wouldn’t put me off. I’m there to buy at the best price I can obtain, I’m not there to become best mates with anyone.

It’s always nicer if a transaction is conducted in cordial manner, but for me it’s all about the end result. I’d rather be treated in abrusque manner and get a good deal. The ‘have a nice day’ culture cuts no ice with me.

Paul

Craftsman
    I think it’s good practice to at least acknowledge a customer when they enter such a shop. If you are good at what you do, you’ll make the effort to do so even whilst with another customer or engaged in some other task.

Master
    Good selling skills should be the minimum requirement in any shop. That means asking an open question, not “can I help you” as soon as someone comes in. The least you should get it is “hi, if you need any help, give me a shout”.

Being ignored for five minutes is really poor. Five minutes is an awfully long time to be stood around.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You should have burned the place to the ground.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I prefer internet shopping as I hate other people.

Craftsman
    They must have misread your body language about wanting support from the staff; not everyone appreciates being approached while just browsing either. If you had spoken to them and they had been rude you'd entirely be entitled to complain, but this seems a bit much.

I'm sure they're not thinking 'Ha! Let's ignore this guy and lose a sale!', but instead made a human error. Plus we can't really judge the situation from their perspective.

I prefer to be left alone too but not if I’m standing at the front desk, that is a clear sign you are asking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Don't they have a letterbox?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Don't they have a letterbox?
    That's plan B.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Can you describe how you were dressed ??

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    And do it doucement.

I'm not sure whether the whether the customer qualification question I was once lucky enough to hear on the Colt Cars stand at a London Motor Show stand still is acceptable, it goes like this " Buyers or wankers, lads?" I nearly had an accident..............

Arseless chaps and gimp mask

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I'm not sure whether the whether the customer qualification question I was once lucky enough to hear on the Colt Cars stand at a London Motor Show stand still is acceptable, it goes like this " Buyers or *******, lads?" I nearly had an accident..............
    Might want to edit your swearing in WT?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I think it’s good practice to at least acknowledge a customer when they enter such a shop. If you are good at what you do, you’ll make the effort to do so even whilst with another customer or engaged in some other task.
    I think that was the whole point of the OP's post. He wasn’t ticked off about waiting, rather the fact that he was being ignored while waiting at the counter and not just browsing.

I'm with you Rusty.

Last week I too was in Cribs Causeway and popped into Goldsmiths and within 30 seconds had a young sales assistant asking if there was anything that I would like to look at, while I was perusing the Bremont cabinet and when I said that I was just looking, he went onto ask if I had ever owned a Bremont before and which models. I left soon afterwards
    But I can also appreciate that it maybe their company policy and that they are in a "No Win" situation.
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 22nd July 2018 at 08:21.

Blog Entries
    Pervert

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I do appreciate the OP's point - I'd be annoyed as well if I actually wanted service. But the other extreme is H Samuels, where its now clearly company policy to leap onto a customer if they look at the window display for more than 5 secs! All I want to do there is window shop - can't afford their excesssive prices anyway!! So, as someone else said, the assistants are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. However, if you are standing by a desk, rather than window shopping, then you clearly want something!

Master
    It's not rocket science to smile and say to a customer "if there's anything you'd like to see just out let me know."

Basic 101 shop sales rules that makes someone feel welcome yet not harassed. If any snowflakes find this intimidating, I don't think high st shopping is for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    And do it doucement.
    No no, do it very slowly

Great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    No no, do it very slowly

Great movie.
    Jamie Lee back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    the other was doing something to the windows displays (I didn't stare too closely),
    I'm struggling to work out whether this means you were trying to look down her blouse or up her skirt.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the OP on this. Sales assistants should be able to recognise when a customer is browsing or waiting to be served. It's not like they are doing you a favour, it's their job.

Also I like the assistants who say something like "Hi there, if you need any help I'll be over here and my colleagues are over there too, just ask if you need to know anything". Makes you feel welcome and doesn't put you under any pressure while you browse the products.

Also car salesmen in so called premium dealerships are renowned for being offhand with customers it seems. Not all but some.

I went to my nearest dealer to buy a car having arranged the day before to have a test drive. Got there and the salesman said it would be at least 2 hours before it could happen. Said I phoned yesterday and was told 15-20 mins wait at the most. Sorry no, he said. I asked what the order time was on the model we wanted and he said at least 4 months if you're lucky. Asked if we could go away and come back in 2 hours. I said no thanks and walked out.
    Drove to the next nearest dealers, and asked the salesman who approached us while we looked at the model we wanted if we could have a test drive. No problem he said, give me 15 minutes. We bought a car off him same day that was in stock at another dealers with all the options we wanted. He wasn't 'pushy' but he could tell we wanted to buy a car, and just made it easy to do so.

Its about judging your customers in my opinion, give them the opportunity to interact with you but don't try to push it.

ook

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Don’t try that at Apple stores in the US. I’ve had staff literally scold me and tell me to wait my turn if they’re helping someone and I say, “I have a question when you have a minute.”

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    This. Are you ok? It sounds awful........