closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches and shooting

Journeyman

Watches and shooting

I target shoot in a variety of calibres and clay pigeon shooting as well,
    I have always been nervous of wearing a mechanical watch, probably unjustifiably, thinking about shock and vibrations etc,
    I usually wear a CWC G10, on the grounds it’s good enough for the army good enough for me,

What do folks think, am I nuts, or playing it safe?

Scottie

I'd wear a G-Shock - or, if I were rich enough, one of Richard Mille's ultra-tough tourbillons so as to keep the plebs (ooops, that's me) in their place!

I have just got back from a morning of gallery shooting at Bisley.
    I am sure most modern mechanical watches will be up to the shocks they are potentially exposed to whilst shooting but I would avoid wearing a vintage watch.
    That said I wore a Quartz Tuna this morning and tend to wear a Quartz watch when I shoot because I tend to shoot larger calibers and the recoil can cause quite a shock so why take the chance?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have just got back from a morning of gallery shooting at Bisley.
    I am sure most modern mechanical watches will be up to the shocks they are potentially exposed to whilst shooting but I would avoid wearing a vintage watch.
    That said I wore a Quartz Tuna this morning and tend to wear a Quartz watch when I shoot because I tend to shoot larger calibers and the recoil can cause quite a shock so why take the chance?
    So glad to hear it, not just me then 😀
    Our club often has trips to bisley, for us 200yds is the next county 😀

Scottie

Wow just goes to show how little I think. I’ve been clay pigeon shooting a fair few times wore my speedie my sub and never thought twice. Now I’ve seen this you are right. If I’d thought I’d have wore the g10 or a CWC SBS Diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve been clay pigeon shooting almost every fortnight for the last 15 years wearing my GMT-II. I’ve never given it a second thought, unlike when I’ve been clattering it against indoor walls and outdoor rock when climbing with the same watch!

Craftsman
    I enjoy clay pigeon shooting and always wear my G-Shock.

Craftsman
    I would say the body absorbs any shock that could possibly damage a watch. I have been shooting pistols rifles and shotguns now for over three decades and for the last 10 years I have always worn my Omega SMPc and it still runs to COSC so ...crack on.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wi shoot wearing my SD, trust me it has spent years being vibrated to hell and high water with a subsea hydraulic impact wrench, if it survives that, no shooting will hurt it!!!!

Yeah don’t worry about this at all. Unless you’re shooting an automatic .50 cal constantly, for days on end.

Action should be continues and large calibres
    Are you all in the USA?

12 gauge its just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got into the habit of wearing my Seiko Kinetic BFK.

It seems somehow....appropriate.

In the past I wore various watches, including my SMP Co-Axial GMT and the Sub, and never gave it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've shot most UK military small arms while wearing a mechanical watch. Never had a problem.

Journeyman
    There does seem to be a few on here wearing mechanical, maybe I have it wrong, but then it gives me an excuse to wear a quartz 😀😀

But what ever I wear, nothing improves my score on clays!! Hell of a defeat today with my mates 😒

Scottie

The British Army used autos prior to Quartz. I've done lots of shooting wearing my 5513 since 1982. As already mentioned the body absorbs a lot of the shock.

Craftsman
    As noted by others, the shock into a watch from shooting a gun is pretty minimal and way below the level it gets from a knock or drop. I've only ever used one once or twice (overseas and only in countries where it pays to have one on you), and certainly never in anger, but firing a typical 9 mm doesn't have any effect on my mechanical chronograph.

Last edited by LorneG; 22nd July 2018 at 09:54.

Master
    Glock 19?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wasn't there a thread about wearing watches when playing golf?

Much more of an issue, I'd imagine!

I'm obviously no expert, but would think there's little impact on a watch firing a shouldered weapon and probably not much firing most handguns, certainly a 9mm.

I fired a Ruger Alaskan once, my watch still worked!

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I regularly shoot bolt and semis up to 7 WSM and I've never had any issue dispite thousands of rounds seen by most of my watches. As said already, the actual shock in acceleration terms is relatively small dispite the momentum being large - is the acceleration that would hurt a watch.

Blog Entries
    I'm right handed and wear my watch on the left wrist so single handed pistol and revolver shooting isn't any trouble. Rifle and shotgun probably a little more recoil supporting with my left hand but most would go through my right hand which grips the stock.
    Never heard of the .50 cal guys having any problems although thats going to be academic soon when HMG bans them.

ook

I always wondered myself when going to the football that clapping might upset a mechanical.

I Just stick a quartz ,kinetic or my knackered sk007k thats a minute out a day on instead to allay any fears.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I always wondered myself when going to the football that clapping might upset a mechanical.

I Just stick a quartz ,kinetic or my knackered sk007k thats a minute out a day on instead to allay any fears.
    I always take my automatics off when w....ing - same reason. For goodness sake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I always take my automatics off when w....ing - same reason. For goodness sake!!!
    I know some just get paranoid :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Never heard of the .50 cal guys having any problems although thats going to be academic soon when HMG bans them.

ook
    Along with lever release, few folks in our club have them as well, wonder if they get compensation!!!

Scottie

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    Along with lever release, few folks in our club have them as well, wonder if they get compensation!!!

Scottie
    Does that include lever action?, can you post a link please dude.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Does that include lever action?, can you post a link please dude.
    NOT lever action, so all the cowboys can keep there .357 etc (including me 😀)

It’s the action that holds the bolt back, and released by a button/lever, usually AR based, southern Gun Company make the most, most common are chambered in 9mm

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-bump-stocks/

See https://publications.parliament.uk/p...0232/18232.pdf sections 28-35.

There is a petition about it as well: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223361

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's good ( but still bad) I have a lever action Winchester I would hate to part with!!

I wrote to my MP asking for clarifications on the bill, predictably she passed the buck. I have it on good authority the MP for Lewisham responded to a member of her constituency by telling him that she supported the bill and she wanted all fire arms in public ownership to be turned over as we have no business owning them. As such she was not intrested in talking to the person asking the questions.
    The bill was a forgone conclusion as soon as it was suggested. There was no chance they would listen to recreational legal shooters. I will end my ranting there as this is watch talk.

My shoulder is smarting a bit from firing my .44 mag under lever yesterday. I got lazy and it gave me a belt! Whilst not likely to damage a modern watch , I think there is a chance that the recoil from large calibers such as .44 mag could effect a vintage watch when using a long barrel pistol or under lever.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd July 2018 at 19:16.

I target shoot in a variety of calibres and clay pigeon shooting as well,
    I have always been nervous of wearing a mechanical watch, probably unjustifiably, thinking about shock and vibrations etc,
    I usually wear a CWC G10, on the grounds it’s good enough for the army good enough for me,

What do folks think, am I nuts, or playing it safe?

Scottie
    The G10 is what I wear when doing said pursuits.

I wear Rolex mechanical watches on grouse, partridge, pheasant days; sometimes double-gunning. Never given it a second thought.

12 ga up to 34g loads

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    My shoulder is smarting a bit from firing my .44 mag under lever yesterday. I got lazy and it gave me a belt! Whilst not likely to damage a modern watch , I think there is a chance that the recoil from large calibers such as .44 mag could effect a vintage watch when using a long barrel pistol or under lever.
    I wear a quartz when shooting which, sadly, is not much these days.

I have a couple of .44 Magnum revolvers, one with an 8 3/8" barrel and one with a 4" barrel. I would not wear a mechanical watch shooting either one. The long barrel kicks enough to become uncomfortable after 20 rounds or so. The 4" gun is just unpleasant to shoot with magnum rounds, it's like experiencing a private earthquake. It is fun to shoot with .44 Special rounds though.

I doubt shooting a shotgun or a rifle (unless a very heavy caliber made for grizzlies or elephant sized game) would affect a mechanical watch but I don't feel a need to take a chance when I have a quartz available.

Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I wear Rolex mechanical watches on grouse, partridge, pheasant days; sometimes double-gunning. Never given it a second thought.

12 ga up to 34g loads
    I shoot game through the season on a syndicate shoot, and I wear either my Casio F91W or a G shock. But mostly because it's mucky and I might conceivable lose a watch through the day.
    Don't need an expensive item to worry about. Smash the wrist on a gate post or vehicle boot, no worries

Master
    I've got a Mag fed 12gauge (Armsan RS-S1) that likes 32gram no.6 cartridges which the cognoscenti will know as a hefty round, no problem there.
    Last month I was shooting a Glock in .40 Smith and Wesson which is a very powerful round. My Explorer 2 shrugs it all off

Master
    You are nuts.

Craftsman
    I shoot too and tend to wear quartz when shooting but not because of perceived shocks from recoil etc.
    It's just that I find I can knock my hands on metal objects and don't want to take a chance on scratching the watch I wear.
    I'll shoot small bore and now full bore but if anyone here shoots .338 Lapua regularly then maybe their mileage may vary!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    You are nuts.
    I have nuts.

I used to shoot clays and also rough shooting, long before I started in this watch madness, wearing the same Datejust I have now and never thought to remove it. It's 34 years old and still keeps time to inside +1 sec per day.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I used to have a cartier tank and the crystal smashed when shooting once

Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    I used to have a cartier tank and the crystal smashed when shooting once
    May be a Sherman would have been more suitable?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I shoot game through the season on a syndicate shoot, and I wear either my Casio F91W or a G shock. But mostly because it's mucky and I might conceivable lose a watch through the day.
    Don't need an expensive item to worry about. Smash the wrist on a gate post or vehicle boot, no worries
    I have not got a G shock, so this is as good as an excuse to get one :-)
    even if it appears no harm is coming to mechanical watches

Scottie

I tend to wear something quartz when I'm shooting but then my mechanical watches are mostly a bit old and delicate.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried out some home loads through the Winchester this morning, loads were fine and the watch is still ticking

Craftsman
    I clay shoot pretty regular but the chap I shoot with is triple A rated and will easy do 500 + through his gun in a week and almost every week. He has a variety of mechanical watches and never had any isses.

Remember when we hold guns there is very little shock transferred into either hand. Shoulder yes but not so much hands.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Glock 19?

A pistol, and there my knowledge of guns comes to an end. I do remember though that one had rather a lot of plastic going on in it and didn't fire straight. Not as bad as an AK47, which is impossible to hit anything with on automatic, but still not straight.

I wouldn't take the chance today, but even the old non shockproof/resistant trench watches I own were worn by soldiers during WW1 under some pretty hairy circumstances, and shooting .303 rifles, machine guns etc. seem to have managed alright. These often used repurposed ladies pocket watch movements!

Master
    Never thought of it, my SMPc joined me on the range with an MP5, Uzi, AK-47, M4 & a Glock 17.

Craftsman
    I've worn my Sinn U2 for 11 years straight (apart from being away for service) and I target shoot 2 to 3 times a week.
    I own a number of calibres currently up to .308 & .45/70. I previously owned a .375 h&h. The worst felt recoil is from my Marlin 1895 "guide-gun" with factory spec home loads due to the short 18" barrel. I also have three sect. 1 shotguns used with solid slug and they tend to kick a bit.

My Sinn has not only survived the recoil without any issues, but it is also in fantastic condition given that the shooting ranges are built of brick, concrete and stone clippings etc.

Craftsman
    G-shock when shooting clays for me.

It takes some serious abuse from me wakeboarding, jetskiing etc.
    There are so many times I have this G-Shock on and bang it on something and think, glad that wasnt my Sub.

Craftsman
    NOT lever action, so all the cowboys can keep there .357 etc (including me )

It’s the action that holds the bolt back, and released by a button/lever, usually AR based, southern Gun Company make the most, most common are chambered in 9mm

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-bump-stocks/
    As the owner of a Southern Gun Lever-release 9mm I'm waiting to hear what our lovely Government decide... Yes, I can rattle through the 33 round mags quite quickly... but not as fast as with my Benelli target shotguns with their 12 round mag tubes. The reason that they want to ban the MARs / Lever-release is that they are "too fast" firing..... I guess they haven't watched the "mad-minute" Lee Enfield videos on YouTube then...
    Last edited by PDR; 26th July 2018 at 16:47.