closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watches and shooting

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    As the owner of a Southern Gun Lever-release 9mm I'm waiting to hear what our lovely Government decide... Yes, I can rattle through the 33 round mags quite quickly... but not as fast as with my Benelli target shotguns with their 12 round mag tubes. The reason that they want to ban the MARs / Lever-release is that they are "too fast" firing..... I guess they haven't watched the "mad-minute" Lee Enfield videos on YouTube then...

I have shot many of your guns, and dam fine they are too, 😀 i would like to thank you.
    Do you have a plan in case they do ban them?

My son can do the mad minute with my .303 pretty quick, he does practice a lot 😀 lever actions can be fired fast as well, I have a Rossi .357, cycles quickly

Scottie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    I have shot many of your guns, and dam fine they are too,  i would like to thank you.
    Do you have a plan in case they do ban them?

My son can do the mad minute with my .303 pretty quick, he does practice a lot  lever actions can be fired fast as well, I have a Rossi .357, cycles quickly

Scottie
    I am hoping that they either give "grandfather rights" or pay compensation as otherwise I stand to lose a rifle that cost £2,300 without the scope.

They have mentioned in the consultation the cost of paying compensation for the 50 cal and MARs but they are not considering the number of SGC Lever-release rifles out there.... for example, within the 3 clubs I have membership of, I know 6 or 7 people with 9mm lever-release, yet not one person with a MARs.

I really like reloading 9mm. Shame there isn't a bolt-action rifle out there in 9mm. I know someone selling a .44mag bolt-action rifle, that might be an option.

I already have Marlin lever actions in .357 Mag and .45/70. Another option would be the Buntline .357 Mag revolvers....

Master
    I am hoping that they either give "grandfather rights" or pay compensation as otherwise I stand to lose a rifle that cost £2,300 without the scope.

They have mentioned in the consultation the cost of paying compensation for the 50 cal and MARs but they are not considering the number of SGC Lever-release rifles out there.... for example, within the 3 clubs I have membership of, I know 6 or 7 people with 9mm lever-release, yet not one person with a MARs.

I really like reloading 9mm. Shame there isn't a bolt-action rifle out there in 9mm. I know someone selling a .44mag bolt-action rifle, that might be an option.

I already have Marlin lever actions in .357 Mag and .45/70. Another option would be the Buntline .357 Mag revolvers....
    I know of a lever release on sale for £1400 and falling. If I could afford to lose that much (without letting my mrs know ) I might make an offer and take the risk.
    It is all ludicrous. Still, if the new legislation goes through we know we will be safe in our homes from crims wielding .50cal Barratts and Lever/MARS rifles rather than the ex-conflict AK's and other huge amounts of military surplus floating around the world that they obtain easily.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I know of a lever release on sale for £1400 and falling. If I could afford to lose that much (without letting my mrs know ) I might make an offer and take the risk.
    It is all ludicrous. Still, if the new legislation goes through we know we will be safe in our homes from crims wielding .50cal Barratts and Lever/MARS rifles rather than the ex-conflict AK's and other huge amounts of military surplus floating around the world that they obtain easily.
    Can a lever release be converted back to straight pull? Not ideal but at least they are still shootable

Scottie

Craftsman
    Can a lever release be converted back to straight pull? Not ideal but at least they are still shootable

Scottie
    It might be physically possible..... but then you get into the issues of converting sect 5 to section 1....

Scottie
    Physically it is possible but legally not.
    You can't turn a section 5 firearm in to section 1. It has to be built as a section 1 originally.
    By removing the sear that holds the bolt open after the case has been ejected it becomes a section 5 firearm. As it still has the gas piston it will return to being a semi auto. = section 5.
    Straight pulls are technically bolt action in the eyes of the law and as such do not has any gas systems fitted.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You can't turn a section 5 firearm in to section 1. It has to be built as a section 1 originally.
    By removing the sear that holds the bolt open after the case has been ejected it becomes a section 5 firearm. As it still has the gas piston it will return to being a semi auto. = section 5.
    Straight pulls are technically bolt action in the eyes of the law and as such do not has any gas systems fitted.
    As the saying goes once section 5 always section 5 but lever release are still section one,

Scottie

Prs40 for me when shooting clays. Tend to prefer something light when shooting, still miss!

Master
    Plastic makes me think glock. Normally an accurate weapon, and light in the hand. A full mag helps the balance in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    A pistol, and there my knowledge of guns comes to an end. I do remember though that one had rather a lot of plastic going on in it and didn't fire straight. Not as bad as an AK47, which is impossible to hit anything with on automatic, but still not straight.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You are correct. Only thing I would point out is that the 9mm & .45 versions are blow-back systems. It is the .223 & .308 that use a "gas piston" ..........

My kids Seiko's didn't have a problem with it :)

You are correct. Only thing I would point out is that the 9mm & .45 versions are blow-back systems. It is the .223 & .308 that use a "gas piston" ..........
    Yep sorry, correct the smaller calibers have a blow back action. To be honest I have not looked them as I predominantly shoot full bore. The principal is the same though. A sear holds the bolt back preventing normal cycling of the action. Pressing the button with your thumb lowers the sear which enables cycling, pull the trigger it goes bang.
    MARS work in a similar way but with a trigger pull instead of pushing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I always take my automatics off when w....ing , put on the Seiko Kinetic & spin that rotor into orbit. For goodness shakes!!!
    Tweaked for accuracy!