closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What car - practical, refined and special!

Craftsman

What car - practical, refined and special!

Its be a long time (at least a few hours!) since a What car thread :) Seeking the collective wisdom here...

I currently drive a Jaguar XF 5l petrol V8. Very practical, I can carry up to 5 people in comfort which is useful for the kids. Most of my driving is less than 10 mile trips but I do some motorway driving as well - total of 5k miles per year. It is superbly refined, feels really special and can go from comfort cruiser to rocket ship quite easily! I love it but it is now approaching 9-10 years old so it is time for something new before the more expensive bills start arriving. This car cost me around £12k over 4 years in depreciation.

Looking for something that can do all the same things and cost the same - around £12k over 4 years. New or used - either is fine. I've always bought outright but leasing is an option too. A touch smaller than the XF would be useful though. I've looked through the usual websites and bought a couple of car mags but nothing seems to grab my attention...

Ideas?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like the Jag, how about the XE?

Master
    Another vote for the xe 🙂

Craftsman
    XE is on the consideration set. The ownership experience (i.e. maintenance needed) with Jag has been ok but not great so wanted to consider something else...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lexus IS250?

640d Grand Coupe?

We have the 640 coupe and chose it as a solid, refined GT over various options from Jag, Merc, Audi.

Well worth a test drive

Master
    A slightly marmite choice - but I have a 5 series GT which is fairly unique on the road, has a 7 series chasis and interior and therefore is luxurious, massive amounts of space and best of all for the used buyer can be picked up cheap because of depreciation. The 5GT has been rebranded to a 6GT and you won't get much change from £60k for a new one.

What is your budget either outright or a lease?

XE was introduced to disrupt the German stronghold. From experience, those who have opted in are all moving back to the germans.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    What is your budget either outright or a lease?

XE was introduced to disrupt the German stronghold. From experience, those who have opted in are all moving back to the germans.
    Looking to spend £12k ish over 4 years. If buying outright, then that's the depreciation I'm willing to take. For lease, that's the total of payments.

Blog Entries
    Would this fit the bill ?

Looks stunning IMHO, but no idea about reiduals or reliability.

I will (probably) avoid Jaguar next time - my XF has been a right PITA in the last 6 months.

z

Master
    I'd go for a Porsche Panamera

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

The 640d is now out of production so some awesome deals to be had on used models
    Saw a lovely one at Ayr we Tamworth for £22k on thevapproved used set up
    You won’t lose too much with the low base price as some other fool took the big depreciation hit

The jag and RR are not selling well so deals to be had in all

If you go a bit left field and take a bigger engine or a less popular colour the desks are again fab

With your miles though.... I’d lease

Always good deals around that you can jump on
    A two to three year with your miles would be sweet as

Craftsman

Another vote for the 640d

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep them coming!

Diesels are out because of my short journeys. Considering Crossovers as well...

Master
    Blog Entries
    No mention of budget or age.

How about an E39 M5. At about 20k is virtually depreciation proof.

Master
    My 640 Gran coupe is 3 years old soon and I always change for something new. Seriously considering keeping it as it’s a fantastic car with loads of extra kit. I can get a price next week and if it’s reasonable I I’ll be buying it in wife’s name.

Craftsman
    An older rs4? Virtually zero depreciation

Craftsman
    Diesel is for busses and tractors and if you're only doing 5k a year, under no circumstances should you buy one.

Get an LS600h.

B8/8.5 Audi S4. Great cars, far more reliable than previous generations. Subtle, well built, plenty fast.

E90 generation M3 saloon would be totally depreciation proof with your annual mileage. I'd actually wager you'd turn a profit (especially if a manual).

Mercedes C63 would also fit the bill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Just using the three words in the title, I would go for a Bentley.

Late model Arnage T or an older Flying Spur is unlikely to lose £12k in depreciation over 4 years and so you can keep the remainder as the maintenance fund!

IMO a lot more special than the above options, mpg not a big concern for the miles and plenty of room. Sadly probably wouldn’t be newer than the Jag and certainly not smaller!

Master
    Forget leasing. Most deals are 24 or 36 months and you won't get a big wafty saloon for less than £350pm plus deposit which will take you over £12k even in 3 years never mind 4.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Something special... can only be Italian, Maserati, maybe the new Giulia?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for suggestions everyone! Shortlist building up...

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Forget leasing. Most deals are 24 or 36 months and you won't get a big wafty saloon for less than £350pm plus deposit which will take you over £12k even in 3 years never mind 4.
    I'm afraid you might be right. Is a good (simplistic) rule of thumb for leasing something along the lines of 30% of the RRP total spend over a 3 year lease? That would mean that a 10k spend over 3 years translates into a new price of £30k - not the biggest of budgets for something special... Keeping an eye out for deals.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post

Late model Arnage T or an older Flying Spur is unlikely to lose £12k in depreciation over 4 years and so you can keep the remainder as the maintenance fund!

IMO a lot more special than the above options, mpg not a big concern for the miles and plenty of room. Sadly probably wouldn’t be newer than the Jag and certainly not smaller!
    Very interesting but definitely too big :(

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Diesel is for busses and tractors and if you're only doing 5k a year, under no circumstances should you buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Lexus IS250?
    Agreed - petrol or hybrid is the way... Will check out what Lexus has to offer. I've had 3 Japanese cars and they've been beautifully trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    That looks lovely. There don't seem to be many petrol versions around - most of the reviews also talk about the diesel... Has anyone got a petrol one?

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    640d Grand Coupe?

We have the 640 coupe and chose it as a solid, refined GT over various options from Jag, Merc, Audi.

Well worth a test drive
    Will test drive - and also consider the smaller 4 Gran Coupe - many thanks!

In your situation I’d give some serious thought to a BMW 340i either saloon or touring. 326 bhp and 0-60 in 5 seconds.

Avoided the XE most people who have it hate it, my sons friends dad has one and he’s said it’ll be going back as soon as.

If downsizing then you’ve got the normal 3 series or the a3/4 to choose from, just get the engine that suits you.

Given your mileage the c63 or maybe even the c43 would suit but I’d go completely left field and get the Alfa Julia QF?

Master
    The Lexus GSF is depreciating in free-fall right now give it another year or two and they'll be available in the mid 20k region and be a massive bargain, their rarity and the love heaped on them by the motoring press mean almost guaranteed future classic status and appreciating prices.
    The GS450h is a fast car but even as a Lexus fan I couldn't really say that they are all that special to drive.
    The ISF is tiny inside but a hoot to drive.
    The LC is gorgeous but expensive with the petrol being the one you want but the hybrid being the one you should get - if you have the budget, wait for the LC-F with a rumored 700bhp.

All are beyond reliable given correct maintenance. Lexus PCP deals are terrible though.

A bit of a left field suggestion - Kia Stinger GT-S, yes it's a KIA but it's cheap, 7 year warranty, nice interior, fun RWD chassis, practical and apparently a gem of an engine. Maybe won't tick the 'event motoring' box like a Maserati would but it'll be more reliable, cheaper to run and by all accounts will have you grinning while you drive it. Depreciation might be a worry though as 1k mile approved used cars are already about with 6-8k discounts.

Craftsman
    My Golf R estate was refined, practical and fast and gets my vote.

Craftsman
    A friend has that Maserati, and has had 4 previously. He has a boat load of disposable cash, which is good as every single one have cost him a fricken fortune in running costs.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

I would put my money here, actually genuinely a hoot to drive, fabulous to look at on the drive, photos don’t do them justice. Not as refined as the Jag, but why would you want the same thing again when changing.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01806197631872

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Avoided the XE most people who have it hate it
    Not quite sure about that. I know plenty of folk who love them.
    There are a number of issues relating mostly with mostly the diesel versions, but I have the petrol 240 Portfolio and it has been brilliant.

Practical? certainly. Refined? Surprisingly although the standard suspension is a little firm after a Jag I suspect. Fast? Yes Special? Mmmm not so sure on that.

Probably no less so than a repmobile 3 or A4, though.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    My Golf R estate was refined, practical and fast and gets my vote.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Think something special of that kind of size and new is going to be difficult for 12k over 4 years,
    if you willing used how about a Porsche Macan.

Blog Entries

Did I mention the XF was being a PITA ?

8th time in last 6 months.

Never buying a Jaguar diesel again.

Grrrr

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Never buying any Jaguar EVER again.
    FTFY

Get a 67 plate S4 with low mileage. Surprisingly roomy inside, being a year old will have taken depreciation hit, equipment levels good, petrol engines and ridiculously quick as they are 4WD. If you are inclined the turbo is huge and can easily be dialed up to over 400bhp for around 1k. It will then become an RS4. I have one and came out of an S8 and this feels quicker and more enjoyable to drive.

Practical, refined and special

Mercedes Benz CL500

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Never buying a Jaguar diesel again.

Grrrr

z
    Just press OK.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Just press OK.
    Pretty sure that’s all the dealership have done the last seven times. 🤨

They apologised that the replacement car wasn’t a Jaguar ... I’m quite pleased as I’ve now got an extended test drive in a Mercedes until they fix it.

z

Sounds like your Jag had a hangover today Z mate

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorted... there is no way you could lose £12k on this in 3 years. You could buy this and break it for spares and make money !

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01807278847507

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Sorted... there is no way you could lose £12k on this in 3 years. You could buy this and break it for spares and make money !

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01807278847507
    I’d agree, you’d probably struggle to lose £12k on the value of this in 3 years. But I’m 100% sure it would cost a great deal more in running the thing. It looks gorgeous, but a deep pit for money I suspect.

I was speaking to a garage that had one in fir some work and they put me right off them saying that the w12 was renowned for not being particularly reliable.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post

Bentley Maintenance fund!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Volvomanuk; 2nd August 2018 at 20:45.

Master
    You're a little way above me in the car spending stakes. I tend to buy large, old and cheap. That way I can spend my money on watches ;-)

My latest is an '03 Mercedes E500 and I absolutely LOVE it: https://mmcmusings.com/2018/04/08/is...e-you-can-buy/

Cost me £3,500 and £700 at the last MoT for new ball joints and two new tyres. 31mpg if you're VERY nice to it, 26 in normal driving. And it goes like all of hell is chasing it.

If I replaced it I'd be tempted by a Lexus, mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I’d agree, you’d probably struggle to lose £12k on the value of this in 3 years. But I’m 100% sure it would cost a great deal more in running the thing. It looks gorgeous, but a deep pit for money I suspect.

I was speaking to a garage that had one in fir some work and they put me right off them saying that the w12 was renowned for not being particularly reliable.

Nah - it's just a VW under the covers. Plenty around under £25k with under 50k on the clock... Engine is well under 100BHP per litre and is unlikely to have been ragged. Tyres & brakes will be pricey but at 15 years old I would find a good local indy mechanic to fettle & service rather than bend over for Bentley.

What's not to like (apart from the fuel bills) ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Nah - it's just a VW under the covers. Plenty around under £25k with under 50k on the clock... Engine is well under 100BHP per litre and is unlikely to have been ragged. Tyres & brakes will be pricey but at 15 years old I would find a good local indy mechanic to fettle & service rather than bend over for Bentley.

What's not to like (apart from the fuel bills) ?
    I think that’s a little optimistic! In 2013, I sold my 2004 W12 after 3 years and 25,000 miles. I spent about €5,000 to €7,500 a year in servicing and maintenance, using an excellent local independent garage. I sold it because a split vacuum hose needed to be replaced; from memory, it was a €300 part but needed the engine out to have it replaced; my mechanic said I needed to budget about €9,000 for that work. The rear spoiler had also gotten stuck in the raised position; that was about €3,000 to remedy, from memory.

Other work that I did have to get done was replacing the high-level brake light, which needs the rear windscreen to come out; thankfully, that was done under warranty. They ripped the leather headlining while doing that - a replacement from Bentley was £2,800 plus VAT. Driver’s side headlight went; I replaced it with a reconditioned unit (which was just over half the price of a new one) but it still needed the fender to come off to replace it. The air suspension pump failed at 60,000 miles; again, even using a reconditioned replacement, that was a bill of about €2,300. Mine was mainly used for city driving, where I got about 7mpg; it would get about 25mpg on a long motorway run.

You can say that they are a VW Phaeton in a posh frock, but don’t be under any illusions that the servicing and maintenance costs will be remotely VW-like...

What about a Lexus RX450h? I had one for 7000 miles and had my high miles not been a complete contradiction to the sweet spot of Hybrid and the high fuel bills, I would still have one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

A bit of a left field suggestion - Kia Stinger GT-S, yes it's a KIA but it's cheap, 7 year warranty, nice interior, fun RWD chassis, practical and apparently a gem of an engine. Maybe won't tick the 'event motoring' box like a Maserati would but it'll be more reliable, cheaper to run and by all accounts will have you grinning while you drive it. Depreciation might be a worry though as 1k mile approved used cars are already about with 6-8k discounts.
    Drove one and it is both impressive and fun. No doubt as reliable as a Kia.