closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leyburn and The Dales

Blog Entries

Leyburn and The Dales

Heading off camping and visiting family and this will be our first trip to the Dales.

Any tips for a cuppa and some nice grub establishments and nice places to visit would be appreciated.

Cheers chaps

Pitch

Craftsman
    Head down to Grassington (if you're feeling fit) or Hebden/Burnsall (shorter route), and do the walk which follows the River Wharfe all the way to Bolton Abbey....... absolutely gorgeous.
    You'll passthrough Appletreewick (Masons campsite) five mins walk from which is The Craven Arms, great food and beer.

Did this last year and can highly reccomend.

Try The Fountaine in Linton. Very good pub for food and beer, lovely setting on village green with steam - very pleasant to sit outside on a sunny day! Can get busy !

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Aysgarth Falls a must

Bolton Castle

Master
    Hawes is a nice place and has plenty of cafes and pubs. A drive over the Buttertups pass to Muker is lovely if the weather’ good.

Dent is a quaint village with 2 or 3 pubs, one of which is a micro brewery, all the pubs in Dent serve nice cask beers and do substantial Cumberland meals.

Steve

One word of caution N Yorks police dont tolerate speeding , watch out for regular roadside mobile cameras.

Craftsman
    My local area.... it’s all beautiful:)

For a cuppa, there are quite a few farm shops / cafes dotted about, for something more spectacular go to Castle Bolton . Most large villages have a selection of cafes. Bedale had a few nice ones

There are loads of nice pubs around Leyburn and the dales...can’t really find a bad pub

Posher eating :
    Blue Lion @ East Witton
    Sandpiper @ leyburn

Head over the moor from Leyburn to Grinton / Reeth past the ranges ... great drive and views, some nice walks start in and around Reeth.

Head upto the TanHill if you want to go the highest pub in the U.K. ( not a great pub though)

If you like beer, head down the dale to Masham and visit theakstons or black sheep brewery

If you head up Wensleydale to Hawes, there is the creamery to visit... for walking, drive on to the Ribblehead which is slap bang in the middle of the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk

If you have kids with you, then the Forbidden Corner near Middleham is well worth visiting ( prebook tickets)

There is loads of other stuff places etc which I’ll have overlooked as you tend to take it all for granted when you live here

Craftsman
    I love the Dales and visit each year - usually in October when it's quieter and cheaper + I can pick sloes in time for Christmas.

I'd recommend Yorebridge house in Bainbridge if you're looking for a very good evening meal - the restaurant is excellent. Askrigg is a lovely little village as are Muker and Gunnerside. Obviously there's plenty of great walking.

Malham Cove is worth a visit and has featured in the Harry Potter films. Ordinarily I'd say go to Aysgarth falls, but given the lack of rain you might find it a bit disappointing. Ditto for Hardraw Force.

If you like cheese the creamery in Hawes is a must - you can more or less eat as many samples as you want.

Can't help, but the title of your post would be a great name for a band!

Craftsman
    This caught my eye as my wife has hired a motorhome for 4 days at the start of October as a different sort of weekend away.

We'll be starting from Manchester so had already decided on the dales - it'll us two and two dogs - still working on the route and places to stay (she has some odd idea that you stop where you want in a motorhome but I doubt it's that simple / allowed).

Same place names keep coming up so starting to make some sense of it but keep the ideas coming ...

Blog Entries
    Blinking excellent chaps and many thanks.

15yo son with us, so any military museums or things that may interest him nearby

Ta
    Pitch

Wensleydale Heifer for dinner.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post

15yo son with us, so any military museums or things that may interest him nearby

Ta
    Pitch
    Queens Royal Lancers are based at Catterick, there might be something there you could visit.

Would echo the shouts for the Wensleydale Heifer - good shout.

Ta
    Pitch
    Eden Camp is worth a visit WW2 prisoner camp... Lot to see.

Blog Entries
    My mum ran the white swan in Middleham and I worked there for around 6 months (lovely pub)…. Lovely village…. Go to Middleham castle (ruins) - Richard 111 lived there….

Blue Lion at East Whitton (as suggested above) is where I’d eat

Have fun Paul

Ben

Master
    Blue Lion at East Whitton (as suggested above) is where I’d eat
    Maybe a couple of years ago. I've lived just outside Leyburn for the last 25 years, The Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton's far better, I'm off to the Wyville Arms tonight for a steak because I think its far better value for money. The Stable Door in Coverham is good. There's lots of quite expensive places around here and nothing is really shabby.

Have a wander into Tennants Auctioneers the tea room is good value

Craftsman

Ta
    Pitch
    Green Howard’s Museum in Richmond.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craven Arms at appletreewick is well worth a major detour. Check the cruck barn out the back.

Blog Entries
    Well, a great few days away was had and many thanks for all your suggestions and taking the time to reply.

We stayed at Akebar Park campsite and could not recommend it enough. Lovely big site which was kept spotless, adjoining pub with great grub and a lovely walk over the hills at the back to the nearby villages.

Leyburn had a 40's weekend on which was great and enjoyed a Sunday morning looking at the vehicles and stalls before a trip out to Hawes and over the Buttertub Pass. Bit of a dust up on where to eat on the last night and we ended up at The Wensleydale Heifer which was absolutely fantastic.

Many thanks again chaps.