closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I don't want a Sub

Master

Convince me I don't want a Sub

I could have had a new ND Sub from an AD at list RRP 2 weeks ago. Regretfully I had to decline it as I would have had to finance it & with a daughter bound for university & the house needing work I couldn't justify it.
    The thing is, I now can't get it out of my head. Ten years ago I had an inheritance that was enough at that time to buy a Sub outright - instead I bought a 2254.5000 SMP & put the rest away. I love the SMP & I also have a CWC RN Diver's, a G10 & a Traser diver's so I have plenty of choice.
    I don't NEED a Sub I just want one. Trouble is, need is objective, want is subjective & therefore is hard to rationalise or dismiss.
    Talk sense into me!

You don't need one.

No harm buying one, trying one, and letting one, or even selling one of our turns out you really do need the money. I don't see the down side personally.

Which other options in life do you get where you can reverse the decision with little to no fall out, or possibly an upside?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I think asking people who have lots of unnecessary watches in dark drawers for a rational objective view is a mistake. ;-)

Maybe you could consolidate down to that one watch and reduce how much it's going to cost you. But, as you say, you have bigger financial priorities and as a responsible adult you have resisted selfish impulse.

I WANT a Ferrari - but I don’t need one. And I can’t afford one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyV22q8PfBA

Master
    In my opinion the best way to overcome the craving for a new sub is to look at plenty of pictures of beautiful vintage ones! Though you may simply end up with a different craving.

Master
    Buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

yeah, you need one!

Master
    Having owned both a Sub and a 2254 i would take the 2254 any day of the week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    When I bought the 2254 it was being sold as equal to the Sub, WR to the same depth & COSC assured by an independent agency but at less than 50% of the Sub's price. At the time (2008) I thought the 2254 looked nicer & felt more substantial - the Sub bracelet felt hollow & light by comparison. I've never regretted it & would hate to part with it yet still the Sub won't go away.
    Maybe I should say i'll get one if I get an inheritance or a lottery win or some other cash boost, otherwise by the time I can afford one they'll be too expensive!
    Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    I could have had a new ND Sub from an AD at list RRP 2 weeks ago. Regretfully I had to decline it as I would have had to finance it & with a daughter bound for university & the house needing work I couldn't justify it.
    The thing is, I now can't get it out of my head. Ten years ago I had an inheritance that was enough at that time to buy a Sub outright - instead I bought a 2254.5000 SMP & put the rest away. I love the SMP & I also have a CWC RN Diver's, a G10 & a Traser diver's so I have plenty of choice.
    I don't NEED a Sub I just want one. Trouble is, need is objective, want is subjective & therefore is hard to rationalise or dismiss.
    Talk sense into me!
    Of all high-end watches, is the Submariner not the most unimaginative?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Of all high-end watches, is the Submariner not the most unimaginative?
    Very true. I have also used the adjective "ubiquitous" to describe them as I work in the City (not as a trader, just within the bounds) & see them everywhere. It's like dating a stripper, I know it's daft for many reasons and yet...

You’re right, you can’t justify it. Fix your house, ensure you have funds to support your daughter. Rolexes are not going out of supply, they’ll still be there when you can reasonably afford one.

If you need further convincing: buying yourself an expensive watch when you already have a quality timepiece, and the house needs mending, is foolish and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    You’re right, you can’t justify it. Fix your house, ensure you have funds to support your daughter. Rolexes are not going out of supply, they’ll still be there when you can reasonably afford one.

If you need further convincing: buying yourself an expensive watch when you already have a quality timepiece, and the house needs mending, is foolish and stupid.
    This.

Financing a watch is not a smart idea unless it is going up in value. If it is stable in value you will be out of pocket by the monthly repayments each month which could put pressure on other areas.

Buy it when you are more certain you can afford it and it will all the better

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    You shouldn’t buy it.

If you need strangers to justify it, it’s clearly not important.

Master
    What we want, we want. However, the Sub has, through no fault of its own, become a watch cliche. A bit like the Mini...every estate agent has one. They were, in the earlier period, quite glorious. Now the ceramic version is , to my eyes, swollen and overblown with an odd square case.
    Think of it like that... then you won't want one. Or buy a proper pre-ceramic version, which still has the authentic look. Best of all, don't bother. You have nice watches already. And if, in later years, you still want one, then you'd better have one.

Master
    Thanks all for the replies. The fact is that I have other calls on my funds now & must cut my coat to suit my cloth. If I still want one in a few years they're not going away are they? It's gratifying to see people being complementary about the 2254, you don't see many & I got the impression that it was a bit of an oddball in Omega's range in its day since it looked totally different to the blue dialled Seamasters. Nonetheless, it's (to me anyway), easy on the eye, easy to read & very well suited to the Speedmaster bracelet. The SMP was a good choice I reckon. Time will tell on the Sub...

Master
    I bought one, didn’t love it and sold after a few months. Think I was convinced I needed one through being a member here.

However, I did buy a green sub which I loved and only sold to upgrade, and still have an SD4K and Deep Sea Deep Blue which I also really like.

Ten years ago I had an inheritance that was enough at that time to buy a Sub outright - instead I bought a 2254.5000 SMP & put the rest away.
    You chose wisely then, and you will again now.

Craftsman
    If You can afford it and want it have it.Your a long time dead.Now is the time

I totally get the niggling at the back of the mind bit, been there many times. However, from my experience the lusting, wanting and hunting down is better than the reality of the actual ownership and like a butterfly we quickly move on to the next highly desirable object that we see.

I could be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    This.

Financing a watch is not a smart idea unless it is going up in value. If it is stable in value you will be out of pocket by the monthly repayments each month which could put pressure on other areas.
    Agreed. Financing may also add costs to the watch simply to spread out payments, which is terrible money management. Very bad idea.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    +1.......I've owned both and the 2254 was a nicer watch in many ways. Cheaper to service/maintain too. A carefully tweaked and adjusted Omega 1120 movement can perform as well as the Rolex too.

The pre-ceramic Subs are nice, but it's hard to justify the prices they're currently fetching.

Paul

Big clunky things, spend a bit more and get a Daytona.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I totally get the niggling at the back of the mind bit, been there many times. However, from my experience the lusting, wanting and hunting down is better than the reality of the actual ownership and like a butterfly we quickly move on to the next highly desirable object that we see.

I could be wrong...
    You could be but I get a feeling that you're spot on...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Or spend less and get a speedy.... ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I'm not sold on the Daytona, purely because the positioning of the chronograph dials is, to my eye, imbalanced. To me it looks like there's too much blank dial above the 2 chrono dials & it's slightly out of proportion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Or spend less and get a speedy.... ;-)
    That's a good looking watch...

Go for it, but whatever you do don't buy one from a "friend of a friend" like I nearly did (see my Real or Fake thread)!

Master
    That's a good looking watch...
    When you're right you're right ;-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    Go for it, but whatever you do don't buy one from a "friend of a friend" like I nearly did (see my Real or Fake thread)!
    Surely you were never seriously considering that watch? The biggest fault it had was the price, can`t believe you even considered it could be genuine at that money.

I`d only buy a Sub from a reliable source thesedays, too many good fakes around.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t buy it,I really wanted a black bay eta red.
    when it arrived I was totally underwhelmed even though it was a cracking watch.
    It had started to become an unhealthy obsession I also didn’t need it.

Timefactors B-uhr on the other hand never disappointed me,that had also became an obsession.

I didn’t want an IWC pilot,but that’s another story.

I have tried on every type of non date submariner and Seadweller there is as I too have the niggling feeling I 'should' own one as I like watches.
    Every time I have tried one I have not been convinced enough to part with the cash. (I hate the hands.) I still think I 'should' own one for some strange reason and after trying a fellow TZer's SD 4000 on I now want one of them (I still hate the hands though)
    Conversely I did not want to like the CWC reissue but I tired one on and I couldn't part with the cash quick enough.
    Judging my your user name maybe try one of the reissue CWCs if you have not done already?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Surely you were never seriously considering that watch? The biggest fault it had was the price, can`t believe you even considered it could be genuine at that money.

I`d only buy a Sub from a reliable source thesedays, too many good fakes around.
    No you're right, the price was just too far out and deep down I knew that all along.

On serious note to the OP though, I considered buying a sub when I first joined this forum a few years ago - it would have been a stretch at the time, but due to the way the prices have gone I can now no longer afford one.

If you're serious then think about pulling the trigger sooner rather than later. Their value only seems to go one way...

The thing with a sub is its rather like that Volkswagen advert - where every other car is described by the seller in terms that compare it to a VW.

So many watches "have the same wr as", "similar styling to", "represent better value than" or "as good a movement as" a submariner, but none actually ARE a submariner...

...the question remains - do you want a submariner? If you do then the only watch that is one is a... submariner.

Of course then there's the SD... l sold my sub to get one... but that's just complicating things...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have tried on every type of non date submariner and Seadweller there is as I too have the niggling feeling I 'should' own one as I like watches.
    Every time I have tried one I have not been convinced enough to part with the cash. (I hate the hands.) I still think I 'should' own one for some strange reason and after trying a fellow TZer's SD 4000 on I now want one of them (I still hate the hands though)
    Conversely I did not want to like the CWC reissue but I tired one on and I couldn't part with the cash quick enough.
    Judging my your user name maybe try one of the reissue CWCs if you have not done already?
    I feel exactly the same way. Been unimpressed every time I have tried one, didn't consider it good value for money and don't like the hands. I have a Ginault now which solved all those problems.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I have a Ginault now which solved all those problems.
    Testify, brother! ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sinnlover,

I have a CWC RN & a G10. In a way I feel similarly about the CWC reissue as the Sub, with the exception that I'm not driven to own the reissue whereas I have a nagging doubt that I "ought" to have a Sub. Technically it's no better than my 2254 & as some have said, they'd prefer the 2254. £2K is a lot for the reissue though I appreciate that it's a low volume piece & setting up for it must have cost CWC a fair bit. I'd rather put the £2K towards something else I think (having not, as yet, tried the CWC reissue).
    I also like the IWC Pilot's chrono, the Speedmaster & the Explorer 216570 in white but none of them is nagging at me like the Sub!
    Right now it's not feasible but a few years down the track who knows & by then I may feel completely different...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    The thing with a sub is its rather like that Volkswagen advert - where every other car is described by the seller in terms that compare it to a VW.

So many watches "have the same wr as", "similar styling to", "represent better value than" or "as good a movement as" a submariner, but none actually ARE a submariner...

...the question remains - do you want a submariner? If you do then the only watch that is one is a... submariner.

Of course then there's the SD... l sold my sub to get one... but that's just complicating things...
    Blast you Umbongo! putting the SD into the mix!

Master
    I’ve got both a Submariner and an SMP 300, albeit the blue quartz version, and find myself wearing the SMP far more often.

- - - Updated - - -

To me the no date sub (114060) is the best looking watch money can buy. I had one until recently, however I realized that nearly every time I wore it I would find myself looking down for the date, only to remember it didn’t have one. That’s the reason why I eventually parted ways with it.

And unfortunately for me, the sub date version just doesn’t do it for me. Not at all a fan of the cyclops, and the face just looks unbalanced.

Perhaps this would be an issue for you also? (Trying to put you off here)....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You would need to change your Nickname.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    [heresy mode]

I also felt I needed a Sub -- but then I got to actually fondling divers . . . .

I'm afraid I thought that this

was much prettier -- and could claim at least as much "heritage".

But, eventually I went for this

which I think is prettier still, is far from ubiquitous, is high quality, and is available used for sensible money.

[/heresy mode]

Master
    No reason to.
    Just go for it and let the forum go on without another Rolex thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    There are only 2 options: To buy one if you can afford it, or not to buy if cannot.
    You want a Sub, you don't need one.

Fortunately, prices are only increasing, therefore it can be sold with no (slight) loss if purchased right.
    But you don't need one, you just want one.

To be ignored: Purchase on 0% finance, baby the watch for a few months, sell it, pay off the finance.
    Just remember, you only want a Sub, you definitely don't need one.

P.S. That 2254 is a stunning piece and will (is doing) the job just right.

Blog Entries
    OP. Seems like you have other financial burdens at the moment. I wouldn’t put your family commitments over trinkets like a watch. The 2254 is an excellent watch. It is a shame Omega don’t produce such classics nowadays.

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Think I was convinced I needed one through being a member here.
    My experience from being here too...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I think asking people who have lots of unnecessary watches in dark drawers for a rational objective view is a mistake. ;-)

Made I laugh......

...but so true....

ook

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You do want a sub, so get one when the time is right and its purchase isn't going to give you a headache.
    Don't let idiots convince you otherwise simply because they haven't worked out the difference between classic and common.

I have been in the same position, I bought a 2254.50 in 2008. I thought I would get a ND Sub sometime after.

But never did as it did not feel right on my wrist, and always preferred the SMP.

You can get stuck on thinking you need to own a sub Nd.

Later I bought a two liner pelagos, fantastic watch I would not straight swap it for a sub now, only my personal opinion on my own watches. Enjoy what you have for now and have no regrets.

Yep, why on earth would you want a Sub, when there's so many other far superior pieces out there for a fraction of the price, think Citizen, Accurist, Armani etc. Even more so one of those crumby, rattly old ones with the ali bezel inserts. Jeez, get a grip of yourself man.

Back in 1994, living in Cheltenham, I went in to buy a Sub Date but a Casio DW-280 caught my eye and I tried that on instead. SOLD!!! I've never looked back and still have the DW-280 to this day. Does everything the Sub would have done for a fraction of the outlay. As others have alluded to above, most watches do everything a Sub can do, only better and for less money.