closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko - straps and buckles

Grand Seiko - straps and buckles

A small bit of advice from those who know, please? Per threads elsewhere I've recently acquired my first GS (a Snowflake) and while I do love the bracelet I am keen to put it on a suitable strap - I think a dark brown alligator strap would look great. Is there a good source for GS' own branded straps? I can't see that they're offered on the website and while I would be entirely happy to put a Hirsch or similar on, my OCD would rather like a properly branded GS buckle... All pointers welcome!

Master
    I normally get my buckles and clasps from Seiya

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/buckle-clasp

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/straps

A word of warning though; I've been using a Hirsch Capitano padded leather with the Master Shop clasp on my SBGJ001, and the position of the lugs on the case means that it doesn't quite work. There's too much exposed lug if that makes sense; the strap sits too low.

I have now put the bracelet back on (and what a nightmare that was) and I've now put the £500 strap and clasp combo on my late father's Seiko 5106-9000 (which is probably worth £30)

Might also be worth mentioning that with a lot of GS having 19mm lugs, many straps, including the genuine ones are 19/16. I find 16 a bit too thin-looking.

Others, including the Hirsch are 19/18 which seems to suit the size of the watch better.

Worth noting whether you have 18 or 16 when selecting a buckle :-)

Many thanks, everyone - very helpful. The Snowflake is 20mm lugs, so that’s one potential pitfall avoided - I had it on a NATO while I was waiting to get the bracelet sized and to be honest didn’t find it much of a faff to switch between the two. I shall have a look later and see what takes my fancy...

I have the GS deployant clasp and GS leather straps, brown and black. Was actually looking for a non leather alternative for the hot and sweaty weather but can't find anything good in 19mm. Thought a blue cordura strap would be good but the only one I can find in 19mm is an Omega one which is ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Many thanks, everyone - very helpful. The Snowflake is 20mm lugs, so that’s one potential pitfall avoided - I had it on a NATO while I was waiting to get the bracelet sized and to be honest didn’t find it much of a faff to switch between the two. I shall have a look later and see what takes my fancy...
    20mm makes life a little easier, but that means the Seiya straps won't fit.

I had a real problem getting both ends of the springbar to engage at one end of the watch when I put the bracelet back on. Now it's back on it's staying on the bracelet.

Master
    I put my snowflake on a blue hirsch leather which was 30 quid from watch obsession

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/straps

A word of warning though; I've been using a Hirsch Capitano padded leather with the Master Shop clasp on my SBGJ001, and the position of the lugs on the case means that it doesn't quite work. There's too much exposed lug if that makes sense; the strap sits too low.

I have now put the bracelet back on (and what a nightmare that was) and I've now put the £500 strap and clasp combo on my late father's Seiko 5106-9000 (which is probably worth £30)
    There's a massive gap between the spring bars and the case, that's why it doesn't look good.
    I considered fitting a strap to mine, but having seen images of SBGJ's fitted with a strap, I didn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    There's a massive gap between the spring bars and the case, that's why it doesn't look good.
    I considered fitting a strap to mine, but having seen images of SBGJ's fitted with a strap, I didn't bother.
    Funny as I have a Sbgj017 and can't get a bracelet on it for the opposite reason!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Funny as I have a Sbgj017 and can't get a bracelet on it for the opposite reason!
    I think the 017 has a different case with shorter lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I think the 017 has a different case with shorter lugs.
    Yes it does, but it still only appears to take a strap.

A brief update for amusement purposes: Seiko UK have replied to my email asking for information about buckles or clasps... They regret that there is no such thing as a GS pin buckle but note that they do have a titanium deployant clasp which would be suitable. For the price of £913, including VAT.

In other news, by Snowflake is currently on a rather nice Camille Fournet sharkskin strap which I'd forgotten I had. It seems to fill the lugs convincingly and while there is a little gap it looks no worse to me than any other watch on a strap. And I have the strap and clasp from a SARB065 on the way - £20 off eBay - which will at least give me a Seiko-branded clasp to settle the worst of my OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    A brief update for amusement purposes: Seiko UK have replied to my email asking for information about buckles or clasps... They regret that there is no such thing as a GS pin buckle but note that they do have a titanium deployant clasp which would be suitable. For the price of £913, including VAT.

In other news, by Snowflake is currently on a rather nice Camille Fournet sharkskin strap which I'd forgotten I had. It seems to fill the lugs convincingly and while there is a little gap it looks no worse to me than any other watch on a strap. And I have the strap and clasp from a SARB065 on the way - £20 off eBay - which will at least give me a Seiko-branded clasp to settle the worst of my OCD.
    That is awful! Would be interested in seeing it on the sharkskin strap though.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    That is awful! Would be interested in seeing it on the sharkskin strap though.
    Your wish is my command...

Untitled by preachercain1, on Flickr

Obligatory low-quality wrist shot:

Untitled by preachercain1, on Flickr

Thanks. Looks good, no particularly visible gap at the lugs. Must be comfortable too, being titanium.

Craftsman
    I bought some buckles from https://band-and-tools.ocnk.net/product-list/4 using https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/.

They sell straps, https://band-and-tools.ocnk.net/product-list/23. Use Chrome to auto-translate. I don't think FJ will ship croc straps.

Try searching for the unit code on FJ to identify shops, and see whether they have a shop, or try another proxy, https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2515872.

Master
    Bumping this.

Seiya seems to have been sold out of most of the GS buckles and clasps for ages now. Anyone know another reliable source? Sounds from the post above it’s not worth going to the GS boutique direct?

There seem to be some on eBay occasionally.

Edit: wow, talk about slow posting....