closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace - digital display accurate, analogue losing time

Breitling Aerospace - digital display accurate, analogue losing time

As per the title really - has anyone any experience of this and is it an indication of a serious issue or something simple like a low battery?

It only required minor adjustment every few weeks to begin with, but now its progressively getting worse to the point of requiring daily fettling.

I'd start with the battery (get it changed locally, rather than sending off to BUK) - and if that doesnt sort it...... send it off to BUK (but expect a large bill?)

Older Aerospace models (they claimed) have movements they no longer have parts for - "needs a new movement, sir".

Al

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Older Aerospace models (they claimed) have movements they no longer have parts for - "needs a new movement, sir".

Al
    This is what I'm afraid of - any ideas what a replacement movement might cost?

The watch doesn't owe me much, so I'm not adverse to giving it an overhaul.

Blog Entries
    I think Breitling will replace the movement with a new SQ - basically you get a new watch for the price of a service - a much cheaper option than buying at current MRP!

mind you if the digital is ok - could just need a a service to get the mechanics sorted.

Yesterday you mentioned on another thread that you have already spoken to a watchmaker about this? Why not share the complete story?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    Yep that's the one.

Cheers - I may have spoken to him in the past actually, he was quite helpful when I had an issue with a Breitling Aerospace I'd recently acquired. (...)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Yesterday you mentioned on another thread that you have already spoken to a watchmaker about this? Why not share the complete story?
    Okay, perhaps I wasn't all that clear in the other thread - I had trouble setting the analogue display to match the digital one, so the two were running out of sync, but consistently so.

Whittles looked at it for me and showed me how to match the two up, although it was initially hard work as the crown was quite stiff.

Fast forward a couple of months on and the displays need to be regularly re-synchronised, which is different to the original problem, but in all likelihood related.

I hope that makes more sense than what I previously posted.

When the ani-digi Breitlings start doing this it's indicitive of the movement needing servicing, it'll be degraded lubrication and/or foreign particles interfering with the wheel train. They can be serviced to get them running correctly again.

If you neglect maintenance on these watches, you will have costly repairs. These are not your $20 plastic quartz watches from a cereal box.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think Breitling will replace the movement with a new SQ - basically you get a new watch for the price of a service - a much cheaper option than buying at current MRP!

mind you if the digital is ok - could just need a a service to get the mechanics sorted.
    That’s what happened to my aerospace - but the repair bill (with the new SQ movement) was in excess of £800.

That was around 2010/11

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    When the ani-digi Breitlings start doing this it's indicitive of the movement needing servicing, it'll be degraded lubrication and/or foreign particles interfering with the wheel train. They can be serviced to get them running correctly again.

Is there an independent you'd recommend going to for this?

Normally I'd be happy to go to Breitling as their prices seem reasonable enough, but if its going to cost the £800 mentioned elsewhere in this thread then the cost of servicing/repairing would pretty much double my outlay on the watch...

Grand Master
    I think you’ll find that Duncan (aka Thewatchbloke) will be happy to recommend himself. If he’s too modest I’ll recommend him.

What he’s saying makes total sense. I’ve stripped plenty of quartz watches down, they do need cleaning and re- oiling eventually.

Duncan’s obviously got experience with this one.........how else would he get the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think you’ll find that Duncan (aka Thewatchbloke) will be happy to recommend himself. If he’s too modest I’ll recommend him.

What he’s saying makes total sense. I’ve stripped plenty of quartz watches down, they do need cleaning and re- oiling eventually.

Duncan’s obviously got experience with this one.........how else would he get the picture?
    Thanks, I just didn't want to be presumptuous - I have plenty of pictures of my car in bits, but it doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm doing!

Joking aside though I've just sent him an email, so thanks again for the recommendation.
    Last edited by jimmy_lazers; 25th July 2018 at 10:32.

I have plenty of pictures of my car in bits, but it doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm doing!
    Yep, know the feeling.
    Taking things apart is not the difficult part

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Yep, know the feeling.
    Taking things apart is not the difficult part
    Haha - buy a classic car they said, it'll be fun they said...

Haha - buy a classic car they said, it'll be fun they said...
    22 to go.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.