closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A funny story...

A funny story...

...or at least I think so.

A friend of mine was given an Explorer II as a wedding present. Despite being a little unsure about it at first with it being a Rolex (he's an internet millionaire, but not at all into showing off), I eventually convinced him to wear it on the basis that its actually quite subtle. Thankfully he took my advice on board and has done regularly ever since.

Anyway, a little while ago he went on honeymoon and for a number of reasons didn't want to take the watch with him, so he stashed it away in a drawer at home. Fast forwarding three weeks, he comes home to find that the watch has stopped. Now he doesn't know a lot about watches, so off he trots to Watches of Switzerland in Manchester. Upon arrival, someone asks him if he needs any help.

His response?

"My Rolex needs a new battery"

Needless to say its been about a year and I still haven't let him forget it.

I picked up a Rolex GMT BLNR recently and ended up having to stop in with my inlaws on the way home. Father in law had a look at the watch in the box and said, if it's brand new why isn't it working :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I picked up a Rolex GMT BLNR recently and ended up having to stop in with my inlaws on the way home. Father in law had a look at the watch in the box and said, if it's brand new why isn't it working :-)
    I wouldn't be surprised if stories like this are more common than I first thought!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if stories like this are more common than I first thought!
    My mum happened to be a local auction looking for some antique furniture. She emailed me the catalogue in case there was anything I'd like in there (I was looking for a bureau at the time), and I noticed a bunch of old Omegas - two Geneves and a Speedmaster. I asked her to have a look at them for me and send photos.

Didn't hear back until that evening. "I had a look at the watches, but none of them were even ticking. No idea what you're buying - they're probably all broken."

I found out later that the 1970 Speedmaster had gone for just over £1k, and the Geneves hadn't sold at £100 each.

Craftsman
    I find with my speedy people occasionally tell me my watch isn't working, as what they see as the second hand isn't moving...

Apprentice
    So many victims and neverending stories...

I'm sure this happens everyday

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app