closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wobbly and loud spinning when winding - (a watch movement, not me)... is this somethi

Wobbly and loud spinning when winding - (a watch movement, not me)... is this somethi

As per the title, this is not me after a few beers... but my Longines Hydroconquest L3.642.4

It happened a couple of days ago when I took the watch from the box to wear, as usual, I unscrewed the crown and proceeded to give the watch a hand wind to get it going... but instead of a smooth wind it ‘wobbled and spun... and spun’ noisily

It had never done this before and my instant reaction was that it may be broken but the watch ran so I decided to wear it and see how it went, it ran with no problem and kept good time.

The next day I tried to wind it again, the same wobble and spin occurred, i did however continue to wind it quite carefully and after about 10-12 winds it stopped and started to wind as normal?

I then decided to put the watch back in the box and let it wind down, I wound again when it was flat and it was normal operation, again i put it back to run flat again. I took the watch out today and wound it again from flat and it wound as normal, no wobble, no excessive spinning... business as usual still.

I have tried to search and have found some info about Valjoux movements being noisy but I believe this is a Calibre L633, based on ETA 2824/2. It isn’t noisy on the wrist but this was really wobbly and spun like buggery but now its ok... but you could really hear it spinning.

I would guess i have had the watch between 2-3 years and this has never happened before and it has not done it since.

.... any thoughts from those who know about these things?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience: 2824s and 2836s make noise while winding. I’ve read a “grinding” sensation is par for the course. But I have no Longines experience.…

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    As per the title, this is not me after a few beers... but my Longines Hydroconquest L3.642.4

It happened a couple of days ago when I took the watch from the box to wear, as usual, I unscrewed the crown and proceeded to give the watch a hand wind to get it going... but instead of a smooth wind it ‘wobbled and spun... and spun’ noisily

It had never done this before and my instant reaction was that it may be broken but the watch ran so I decided to wear it and see how it went, it ran with no problem and kept good time.

The next day I tried to wind it again, the same wobble and spin occurred, i did however continue to wind it quite carefully and after about 10-12 winds it stopped and started to wind as normal?

I then decided to put the watch back in the box and let it wind down, I wound again when it was flat and it was normal operation, again i put it back to run flat again. I took the watch out today and wound it again from flat and it wound as normal, no wobble, no excessive spinning... business as usual still.

I have tried to search and have found some info about Valjoux movements being noisy but I believe this is a Calibre L633, based on ETA 2824/2. It isn’t noisy on the wrist but this was really wobbly and spun like buggery but now its ok... but you could really hear it spinning.

I would guess i have had the watch between 2-3 years and this has never happened before and it has not done it since.

.... any thoughts from those who know about these things?
    Take /send it to a watchmaker or Longines.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Reversers in the auto bridge need cleaning and re-lubricating would be my guess. A relatively easy job so shouldn't cost the earth.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Reversers in the auto bridge need cleaning and re-lubricating
    Yep, sounds about right to me also - common enough issue.